KTM Drops a New FE with Cone Valves stock!

LungButter
Edited Date/Time 10/8/2021 11:28pm
It just so happens to be a Rally Bike....Click bait title I know....but it's the off season.

https://enduro21.com/en/bikes/latest/all-new-2022-ktm-rally-bikes-break…

This bike is trick as hell, and easily the most factory "production" dirt bike that you can hope to buy (if you have the right connections/wallet). Not a ton of details on all the changes yet but if they are calling it "all new" I would assume some of them are pretty significant.

According to the article all the Factory boys except Walkner will be racing it in the Morrocco Rally this week, a good shakedown before Dakar. Walkner is sticking with the old bike since he's leading the Championship.

|
Xeno
10/6/2021 12:15pm
The bike Sam and the boys race is not exactly the same as the Rally Replica sold to customers.
gt80rider
10/6/2021 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2021 12:26pm
30k!!! Ktm now identifies as ducati???

The Shop

LungButter
10/6/2021 12:27pm
Xeno wrote:
The bike Sam and the boys race is not exactly the same as the Rally Replica sold to customers.
Nah, but they are still pretty damn trick for a bike that is sold to the public.

It's too bad Honda doesn't sell something akin to the Rally bike they race, I think they'd sell every one they made just like KTM does.
Hammer 663s
10/6/2021 1:08pm
Cool but what would you do with one? Not like there's a 1000 mile desert course nearby. And $30k? That's a new 450 AND a used truck to haul it.
LungButter
10/6/2021 1:19pm
Cool but what would you do with one? Not like there's a 1000 mile desert course nearby. And $30k? That's a new 450 AND a used...
Cool but what would you do with one? Not like there's a 1000 mile desert course nearby. And $30k? That's a new 450 AND a used truck to haul it.
I dunno, but I want one anyway.

I know they sell everyone they make, easily. Mostly to private Rally Teams, a few to 'Tour' companies and probably fewer to dudes with deep pockets that just want something cool.
Xeno
10/6/2021 1:41pm
LungButter wrote:
Nah, but they are still pretty damn trick for a bike that is sold to the public. It's too bad Honda doesn't sell something akin to...
Nah, but they are still pretty damn trick for a bike that is sold to the public.

It's too bad Honda doesn't sell something akin to the Rally bike they race, I think they'd sell every one they made just like KTM does.
Agree.

And $30k for a KTM Rally Replica is a bargin. I can't build a comparable Honda for $30k (and I build trick off-road bikes all day).
Hammer 663s
10/6/2021 2:03pm
Cool but what would you do with one? Not like there's a 1000 mile desert course nearby. And $30k? That's a new 450 AND a used...
LungButter wrote:
I dunno, but I want one anyway. I know they sell everyone they make, easily. Mostly to private Rally Teams, a few to 'Tour' companies and...
I dunno, but I want one anyway.

I know they sell everyone they make, easily. Mostly to private Rally Teams, a few to 'Tour' companies and probably fewer to dudes with deep pockets that just want something cool.
I see at least 5 bikes a week on CL that I want too. This week an RD400 and an RZ350 KR edition, a nice old KDX220, and lots of TC250s with low hours. I really need a 20 car garage and a lottery win. I might buy one of these too if that happens.
TeamGreen
10/6/2021 2:24pm
Xeno wrote:

Bearuno
10/6/2021 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2021 11:28pm
They've had Cone Valve forks as standard for quite a few years now.

But, 48s instead of 52s.

Yes, they have always been a bit different to what the Factory Boys ( and Girl ) have under them, but not hugely. Generally, a year behind with major changes. But this one, is out at the same time as what the Factory Team(s) have. That is, If the Factory Team(s) will still be using the same 'basis' for their racer. And that would be a Very Big Change, that wouldn't be a good look, so to speak.

And, of course, the Factory Riders will always have "unobtainium" that no one will ever get.

The customer 450RRs have always been a 'relative' bargain. Truly. I'd love one, but I've other things, like all my Travel, that takes my money.

This new one looks very, Very different to previous generations, especially with regards to the frame. It
has previously been a trellis / lattice design with the engine 'hanging' from the frame. Engines could be taken out of the frame in minutes, by the well practised mechanics / riders.

This looks to be a somewhat conventional loop / cradle frame.

That Is a Massive change.

It will be interesting to see what they've done to make it still easy to work on.

The Teams and monied up privateers that go into a paid team structure, or have their own helpers, have mechanics that can do everything for them in the Parc Ferme each night, other than on Marathon stages, but the Male' Moto riders have to do Everything for themselves. Well, other than help from other riders, and, I think , maybe, tyres can be changed for them in the PF - though, I even think that may be verboten?

It will be a weapon, that's for sure, that engine performance wise, would stun most riders.

Even Highly paid factory MXers - and, they are made to last. Last time I looked, a few years ago, a Piston kit alone, was a few K. You can find parts listings, diagrams and prices on KTMs and dealers websites, just as you can for a EXC, or an SX.
LungButter
10/6/2021 3:08pm
Bearuno wrote:
They've had Cone Valve forks as standard for quite a few years now. But, 48s instead of 52s. Yes, they have always been a bit different...
They've had Cone Valve forks as standard for quite a few years now.

But, 48s instead of 52s.

Yes, they have always been a bit different to what the Factory Boys ( and Girl ) have under them, but not hugely. Generally, a year behind with major changes. But this one, is out at the same time as what the Factory Team(s) have. That is, If the Factory Team(s) will still be using the same 'basis' for their racer. And that would be a Very Big Change, that wouldn't be a good look, so to speak.

And, of course, the Factory Riders will always have "unobtainium" that no one will ever get.

The customer 450RRs have always been a 'relative' bargain. Truly. I'd love one, but I've other things, like all my Travel, that takes my money.

This new one looks very, Very different to previous generations, especially with regards to the frame. It
has previously been a trellis / lattice design with the engine 'hanging' from the frame. Engines could be taken out of the frame in minutes, by the well practised mechanics / riders.

This looks to be a somewhat conventional loop / cradle frame.

That Is a Massive change.

It will be interesting to see what they've done to make it still easy to work on.

The Teams and monied up privateers that go into a paid team structure, or have their own helpers, have mechanics that can do everything for them in the Parc Ferme each night, other than on Marathon stages, but the Male' Moto riders have to do Everything for themselves. Well, other than help from other riders, and, I think , maybe, tyres can be changed for them in the PF - though, I even think that may be verboten?

It will be a weapon, that's for sure, that engine performance wise, would stun most riders.

Even Highly paid factory MXers - and, they are made to last. Last time I looked, a few years ago, a Piston kit alone, was a few K. You can find parts listings, diagrams and prices on KTMs and dealers websites, just as you can for a EXC, or an SX.
I hadn't noticed the frame change, that is a big change for sure, that has to dramatically change the handling from the previous generation I would think.

One thing that always sticks out to me is that the Rally Team is the only arm of Factory KTM that is still using Xtrig clamps over the KTM version. One can only assume it's a strength thing, the Xtrig are much beefier than the KTM split clamps.
Bearuno
10/7/2021 8:24am
Well, the White version has just been shown, expect the Red version to be 'revealed' shortly.......
skyrebel88
10/7/2021 9:44am
In all the pro bike break downs I have seen i hardly ever see any information on what the KTM pro bikes use for front forks. I can probably assume they are large diameter cone valve spring forks but i haven't seen in any break downs that they are. We all know yamahas use the PSF1 forks. I can only assume kawi and honda just use larger diameter A kit stuff. Am I wrong about KTM, husky, and gasgas keeping what forks they run kinda secretive on there pro bikes?

Finally, i think it is pretty sweet kawi is selling suspension that is used by pro's on a production bike instead of as a part you can buy separate from the bike you purchase.

Question
10/7/2021 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2021 3:00pm
Like road racing, rallye is a different ball game.

Just to enter to race costs like 10 to 20k, for each race. So yeah, 30k for a bike, that is "cheap" compared to the 300k you could have just spent on a car that you would have destroyed in a few thousand miles Wink

In all cases the sport is getting more and more either for the ultra rich people on 1 side and for the 0.000001% most talented kids on the other side. We have to be careful what we wish for, because the conflicting interests between the broadcasting and the market will hurt the industry in the long run.
Andy7
Fantasy
1312th
10/7/2021 3:07pm
If money was no object I would buy one. And probably show up at the track with it, it is one hell of a race bike (although a rally one).
7I3N
10/8/2021 5:18am
Rally of Morocco starts today! All of the big boys are there. Gonna be good. Go Skyler!!
ccullins
10/8/2021 6:48am
These bikes aren’t really sold to the public. You have to be a Rally racer to even get your hands on one. They are a very specialized bikes.

Post a reply to: KTM Drops a New FE with Cone Valves stock!

The Latest