KTM Domination

cwtoyota
4/4/2019 9:51pm
Madmax31 wrote:
I rode a 2019 FE Husky 450 the other day and have to say I can't imagine anything being close to that good. Webb jumping on...
I rode a 2019 FE Husky 450 the other day and have to say I can't imagine anything being close to that good. Webb jumping on that and immediately being better is very understandable. I think if Eli was on one he'd be a little better as well.
That is a superb bike once you huck the forks in the garbage.
My buddy has one with B-kit (cone valve) on it and it's one of the better bikes I've ever ridden.
The power curve is great and it handles like a dream.

I'm completely terrified of steel frames though, you won't catch me owning another steel MX bike.
fort_knox03
4/5/2019 4:44am
KTM#88 wrote:
Wonder what there plan is for the 250 class, been there worst season for years. Do they have any amateur riders jumping up next year?
Mitchell Falk was a huge amateur prospect for them currently in his rookie season. Dealt with injuries and hasnt shown a ton yet. Hopefully he will be better outdoors. They also currently have Pierce Brown and Derek Drake racing the A class in amateurs and they are pretty clearly 1 and 2 in the A class right now with maybe Seth Hammaker of PC Kawi making an arguement
OldYZRider1
4/5/2019 6:13am
Sluggo77 wrote:
Why do people take this personal? They currently have a small but significant edge which is huge at this level. The 450 especially, it is simply...
Why do people take this personal? They currently have a small but significant edge which is huge at this level. The 450 especially, it is simply a weapon of choice currently. One of the big 4 needs to swallow their pride, buy one, scan the frame and manufacture their own version of a steel framed KTM! A 350 also, and some new 2 strokes, like seriously, get with the program, why give all that market away to KTM without a fight?
They take it personally due to lowly evolved egos. If you show up at the track and you really can't ride at a pro's level you damn sure don't want to show up on a bike that finished last in some magazine or internet website test nor ride in blue jeans, work boots and leather work gloves. The embarrassment from doing so can be overwhelming for some. Some can suffer from the more severe condition known as "poserdom syndrome". This is especially prevalent in new entrants to the sport. However remnants of this condition is also evident in grown men who come on to internet forums and argue incessantly about the virtues of (or come to the defense of) the brand of motorcycle they spent they're hard earned money instead of one of the other brands they could have purchased.

I'm not a psychologist but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn.

My remedy to the problem was to build a track at my house where I can ride alone and not suffer the effects that come from having this affliction Smile .

The Shop

4/5/2019 9:15am
They take it personally due to lowly evolved egos. If you show up at the track and you really can't ride at a pro's level you...
They take it personally due to lowly evolved egos. If you show up at the track and you really can't ride at a pro's level you damn sure don't want to show up on a bike that finished last in some magazine or internet website test nor ride in blue jeans, work boots and leather work gloves. The embarrassment from doing so can be overwhelming for some. Some can suffer from the more severe condition known as "poserdom syndrome". This is especially prevalent in new entrants to the sport. However remnants of this condition is also evident in grown men who come on to internet forums and argue incessantly about the virtues of (or come to the defense of) the brand of motorcycle they spent they're hard earned money instead of one of the other brands they could have purchased.

My remedy to the problem was to build a track at my house where I can ride alone and not suffer the effects that come from having this affliction Smile .
How do you show-off?
kb228
4/5/2019 9:17am
Sluggo77 wrote:
Why do people take this personal? They currently have a small but significant edge which is huge at this level. The 450 especially, it is simply...
Why do people take this personal? They currently have a small but significant edge which is huge at this level. The 450 especially, it is simply a weapon of choice currently. One of the big 4 needs to swallow their pride, buy one, scan the frame and manufacture their own version of a steel framed KTM! A 350 also, and some new 2 strokes, like seriously, get with the program, why give all that market away to KTM without a fight?
They take it personally due to lowly evolved egos. If you show up at the track and you really can't ride at a pro's level you...

How do you win practice if you ride alone at your house?
Eddieg15
4/5/2019 9:40am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/05/336414/s1200_C97ACB66_D9B6_4F78_9F74_1C89F807FD11.jpg[/img]

Jealous
4/5/2019 10:01am
Eddieg15 wrote:
Jealous
I can assure you that's not the case. Y'all need to learn how to take a joke instead of being so easily offended.
Ranman68
4/5/2019 12:31pm
Hiring a trusted and proven winner like DeCoster is what allowed KTM to obtain an elite level rider like Dungey. Recruiting talent like Roczen and Musqin, getting wins in 450 class, development of the bike for ama series, etc. It snowballed. Hiring Aldon Baker sure as hell will pay dividends. Then you have a guy like Webb who goes from lousy results on a Jap bike to dominating on a KTM. It makes other top riders question the brand they ride and eager to ride a KTM or Husky no doubt. Buying Husky...which is a KTM doubles the number of top riders and wins they can get.
I think it's about KTM having the best overall team and funding in this sport. Spending big bucks to get the very best riders, mechanics, and trainers. They've done that. How could they not win a shitload?
I don't think the bikes are any better overall in stock form, but the factory bikes may be. I would just say it's because they are better dialed in for the riders and set up better. Probably because they spend the money and time to. They have the best of the best working on it. They sink more money into winning motocross races than Japanese do. That's what I see at least.
fox1nz
4/5/2019 12:43pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/05/336414/s1200_C97ACB66_D9B6_4F78_9F74_1C89F807FD11.jpg[/img]

Never let me down
4/5/2019 1:07pm
fox1nz wrote:
Never let me down [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/05/336488/s1200_20181223_145210.jpg[/img]
Never let me down

Jerkolantern
4/5/2019 1:15pm
My main ride is a 250sx, its a nice bike, not the best I've ever rode, that being said they have the best guys. You take musquin , Webb, bagget, carolli, and herlings put them on Yamaha, the supposedly worst bike, like ever , according to some here, and Yamaha brings home the title. The only guy they haven't signed is Tomac, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they snagged him somehow. It's 80-90% rider kids. Look at Roczen, he won on Honda after ktm before his horrible accident, it's the rider.
4/5/2019 1:19pm
fox1nz wrote:
Never let me down [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/05/336488/s1200_20181223_145210.jpg[/img]
Never let me down
In 90 I bought a KTM and it was a great bike. Your bike is better than mine but it’s also the bike that drove McGrath into retirement.

I like your bike but I think your statement is a bit strong.
4/5/2019 1:24pm
My main ride is a 250sx, its a nice bike, not the best I've ever rode, that being said they have the best guys. You take...
My main ride is a 250sx, its a nice bike, not the best I've ever rode, that being said they have the best guys. You take musquin , Webb, bagget, carolli, and herlings put them on Yamaha, the supposedly worst bike, like ever , according to some here, and Yamaha brings home the title. The only guy they haven't signed is Tomac, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they snagged him somehow. It's 80-90% rider kids. Look at Roczen, he won on Honda after ktm before his horrible accident, it's the rider.
I think KTM could turn Tomac into a supercross champion.

I don’t think you understand how difficult it was for KTM to get to the Decoster era. It’s more than just the rider.
JMX82
4/5/2019 1:25pm
In 90 I bought a KTM and it was a great bike. Your bike is better than mine but it’s also the bike that drove McGrath...
In 90 I bought a KTM and it was a great bike. Your bike is better than mine but it’s also the bike that drove McGrath into retirement.

Read Mcgrath's book. He actually says that the bike was quite good. It was just freak accident what caused him to retire
BobPA
4/5/2019 1:36pm

That is just the spoke maintenance section
4/5/2019 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2019 12:39am
JMX82 wrote:
Read Mcgrath's book. He actually says that the bike was quite good. It was just freak accident what caused him to retire
I remember that whole period. McGrath rode the same bike his whole time at Honda but updated with the current plastic. He then went to suzuki(?) and finally KTM. The KTMs were always powerful but their suspensions were suspect. The shock and “euro” handling were probably tough to get used too. If I recall, the motor died over a jump at one point and he called it quits.

I was disappointed because Bud would have brought exposure and McGrath would have developed the bike. Nothing happened.
4/5/2019 1:43pm

BobPA wrote:
Keine Thausand Meter.
BobPA
4/5/2019 2:46pm
JMX82 wrote:
I remember that whole period. McGrath rode the same bike his whole time at Honda but updated with the current plastic. He then went to suzuki(?)...
I remember that whole period. McGrath rode the same bike his whole time at Honda but updated with the current plastic. He then went to suzuki(?) and finally KTM. The KTMs were always powerful but their suspensions were suspect. The shock and “euro” handling were probably tough to get used too. If I recall, the motor died over a jump at one point and he called it quits.

I was disappointed because Bud would have brought exposure and McGrath would have developed the bike. Nothing happened.
I thought he crashed in the whoops?
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
4/5/2019 4:14pm
JMX82 wrote:
I remember that whole period. McGrath rode the same bike his whole time at Honda but updated with the current plastic. He then went to suzuki(?)...

BobPA wrote:
I thought he crashed in the whoops?
Nope. Page VIII and IX in his book. Bogged over a double.
fox1nz
4/5/2019 5:39pm
fox1nz wrote:
Never let me down
In 90 I bought a KTM and it was a great bike. Your bike is better than mine but it’s also the bike that drove McGrath...

Well its true, its never let me down.
4/5/2019 10:46pm
Madmax31 wrote:
I rode a 2019 FE Husky 450 the other day and have to say I can't imagine anything being close to that good. Webb jumping on...
I rode a 2019 FE Husky 450 the other day and have to say I can't imagine anything being close to that good. Webb jumping on that and immediately being better is very understandable. I think if Eli was on one he'd be a little better as well.
But he was not instantly better!
PEPE001
4/5/2019 11:06pm

BobPA wrote:
Keine Thausand Meter.
or

Kartoffel Transport Maschine

Means

Potato transport machine

My KTM 125 from 87 was Keine Tausend Meter (for those who doesn't know "not even 800 yards")
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/6/2019 1:05am
450 wins (moto wins, SX main wins, SX Triple Crown wins) by brand, 2016-2019:

Kawasaki 48 (all 48 wins by one guy)
KTM 44
Suzuki 27
Husqvarna 9
Honda 5
Yamaha 3
4/7/2019 12:36am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2019 12:36am
PEPE001 wrote:
or

Kartoffel Transport Maschine

Means

Potato transport machine

My KTM 125 from 87 was Keine Tausend Meter (for those who doesn't know "not even 800 yards")
Yes but I remember KTM 125 riders taking on 500 riders in Europe in the 80s and doing pretty well.
4/7/2019 12:45am
RichieW13 wrote:
450 wins (moto wins, SX main wins, SX Triple Crown wins) by brand, 2016-2019: Kawasaki 48 (all 48 wins by one guy) KTM 44 Suzuki 27...

KTM 44
Suzuki 27
Husqvarna 9
Honda 5
Yamaha 3
Really interisting that Husqvarna has done better than both Honda and Yamaha combined.

Have to be honest, I didn’t think Suzuki had a single win, are they all motos?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/7/2019 2:14am
RichieW13 wrote:
450 wins (moto wins, SX main wins, SX Triple Crown wins) by brand, 2016-2019: Kawasaki 48 (all 48 wins by one guy) KTM 44 Suzuki 27...

KTM 44
Suzuki 27
Husqvarna 9
Honda 5
Yamaha 3
Really interisting that Husqvarna has done better than both Honda and Yamaha combined. Have to be honest, I didn’t think Suzuki had a single win, are...
Really interisting that Husqvarna has done better than both Honda and Yamaha combined.

Have to be honest, I didn’t think Suzuki had a single win, are they all motos?
25 of those Suzuki wins are from Roczen (SX and motos) in 2016 and 2 of them are from Bogle in 2017 (motos).
VRR7
4/7/2019 2:30am
fox1nz wrote:
Never let me down

Jeremy and Mickaël Pichon and Sébastien Tortelli and and ... IMO it was the PDS ! PDS shock has never won in Premium Class ever ! FIM and AMA - Only 125/MX2 classes ( Less power ) - It is called cavitation !!! Cavitation is a problem for shocks and what makes it worse ? Yes 2 Pistons in the shock .. PDS is good for weight transfer ( woods ) linkages gives best progressive suspension.

Marketing is where KTM is very good !!! Like Microsoft they win because their marking is better not necessary the product. What irritates a Unix guru is the arrogance of a Microsoft engineer. Also the KTM cool aid IMO is what is bad about KTM not the product . The bikes are good but when the KTM fan boys go off it like a who can compensate the most. A popular beach is great until its popularity spoils it.

And yes they are doing good Austrian product in the top 10 ! Is really showing the Japanese have lost focus ... which is why AMA 250 is down because of focus in AMA 450 - So it is not the bike it is "Focus" call it Mojo the KTM/Husky teams and racing efforts sure have that going on at the moment.

Kawasaki / Honda - Good riders - Good bikes - Mojo nope !!! It is why the keep on creating their own bad luck - Eli won the main but he broke the bike it smoked like a chimney and Ken same stuff no coherent collective positive dream going on to keep their efforts and talents as strong as they truly are ! So you get a top ten full of Austrian bikes ! That is why there is a Webb wagon and not a Ken wagon . It is not because Ken has no talent !

Would be nice to see a response as that would be good for the fans but once it has tipped is hard to get it back - See Honda's and the Dakar . KTM own that mountain and Honda and Yamaha cannot regain that position. KTM also own the offroad and enduro high ground . If the Japanese do not wake up to quote on any Sunday ... " looks like they should stick to making piano's" ....

Post a reply to: KTM Domination

The Latest