KTM Customer Service

KTM990SMT
10/27/2017 6:32pm
This summer i purchased a second hand KTM 990 SMT. Love the bike! However I am a shorter fellow and i looked into purchasing one of KTM's lowering kits for the bike. KTM does make a full and proper lowering kit for the 2013 990 SMT. I went to my local dealership and they told me they could bring the parts in to have them installed. They brought the kit in for me, and I gave them my bike. days went by and i never heard from the dealership right away. I stopped by after a while to inquire about the installation. and then i found out they were having difficulties installing the kit, as they do not have the proper tools. Apparently KTM sells a special tool in order to install the lowering kit, which this dealer did not have. They contacted KTM trying to get the tool, however KTM told them the tool is no longer sold or distributed. When my bike was in the shop i was also getting my fork seals replaced, and brake discs dealt with. I offered to put a deposit down on the lowering kit before it was ordered. They told me no its ok and I could pay for everything after it was installed. The dealership has since tried to make a custom tool in order to install the kit. This whole process has been going on for appx 2 months now. I told the dealerhsip last week that i no longer want the kit installed, I have not paid for the kit, there was no deposit on the kit, and it was never installed to begin with. I told them to send it back. They told me they are unable to send it back, and that i am going to have to buy the kit.

I feel like i should not have to pay for that lowering kit. it is not installed on my bike, and due to a changing job situation, as well as me not wanting to put parts on my bike that ktm no longer makes or sells the tools for just doesnt make sense to me. So I just dont want it.
Why is the dealership telling me they cannot return the product that was never installed? I also feel like it should have been the dealerships responsibility to know that the kit required a special tool from KTM for the installation, and they should have told me that they did not have that tool, as well as they would not be able to order the tool from KTM before i requested they bring the lowering kit in.
If your are able to offer me any insight or direction of who i can contact to help me deal with this it would be great. or your suggestions as to how you would deal with this.

thanks,

Regards,
|
ob
10/27/2017 6:50pm
Troll much?
BobPA
10/27/2017 6:51pm
I would not blame a motorcycle manufacturer for your dealers lack of competence.
10/27/2017 7:01pm
Does not matter if it is motorcycles or cars. Different brands have many different tools. It is your local dealers responsibility to maintain the required tools or have a local connection that has the tools. (car shops will share special tools to help in the overhead costs.)

This is not the fault of KTM
my .02.
racerx217
10/27/2017 8:00pm
My mom rides that bike without a lowering kit....

The Shop

KTM990SMT
10/27/2017 11:07pm
BobPA wrote:
I would not blame a motorcycle manufacturer for your dealers lack of competence.
I can see that my post may be confusing... Sorry. I was more so looking to see if anyone else has dealt with customer service through KTM via dealership or otherwise. This is my first KTM, and I am just looking for recommendations on how to deal with this.
KTM990SMT
10/27/2017 11:09pm
racerx217 wrote:
My mom rides that bike without a lowering kit....
I am also riding this bike without a lowering kit.... Tell your mom I like her bike. Thanks for the informative post.
KTM990SMT
10/27/2017 11:11pm
BobPA wrote:
I don't want to blame KTM directly. But why would my dealership tell me that they cannot send the parts back? they never installed them. so does KTM have a policy not allowing them to receive parts after "X" amount of time? or is my dealer just being stingy... I don't want to start a big argument with my dealer, well because they are my only KTM dealer that is local. Next closest one would be a 4.5hr trip to another City.
KTM990SMT
10/27/2017 11:16pm
Does not matter if it is motorcycles or cars. Different brands have many different tools. It is your local dealers responsibility to maintain the required tools...
Does not matter if it is motorcycles or cars. Different brands have many different tools. It is your local dealers responsibility to maintain the required tools or have a local connection that has the tools. (car shops will share special tools to help in the overhead costs.)

This is not the fault of KTM
my .02.
Thank you all for posting thus far. I know my dealership is at fault here. The big question that plagues me is why my dealership is telling me the parts cannot go back to KTM. not sure if what they are telling me is true or not. so does KTM really not accept parts back from their dealerships that have never been installed (after a 2 month period).
doesn't make sense to me. I am trying to find a peaceful resolution to this without losing my only KTM dealer that is local.
KTM990SMT
10/27/2017 11:17pm
ob wrote:
Troll much?
Troll... I hope you are talking about the dealership??
mx317
10/28/2017 4:11am
I would check to see if another dealer has the tool, buy the kit and have the dealer that has the tool install it. I can't imagine what kind of tool they would need that they couldn't come up with. I have installed several lowering kits and it's been pretty straight forward. I have not installed one on that model though.
aedwards07
10/28/2017 5:26am
I’d love to know what this special tool is that allows you to install a lowering kit. Seems like a line of crap they are giving you.
HenryA
10/28/2017 5:47am
Pay for the parts and take it to a local suspension shop, if we're talking fork internals.
KTM990SMT
10/28/2017 5:51am
mx317 wrote:
I would check to see if another dealer has the tool, buy the kit and have the dealer that has the tool install it. I can't...
I would check to see if another dealer has the tool, buy the kit and have the dealer that has the tool install it. I can't imagine what kind of tool they would need that they couldn't come up with. I have installed several lowering kits and it's been pretty straight forward. I have not installed one on that model though.
That was their exact response as well. They have installed lots of lowering kits. Just never one on my bike. It caught them off guard I guess. My next closest dealer is 4.5hr to the next city. Snow will be flying any day now.
KTM990SMT
10/28/2017 5:52am
HenryA wrote:
Pay for the parts and take it to a local suspension shop, if we're talking fork internals.
They contacted a local suspension shop to see of they had the tools to take install it. And the local suspension shop guy actually came to the dealership and told them they needed ktms tool. Or to build one.
H4L
10/28/2017 6:17am
I'd suggest contacting KTM direct (800 # customer service) & explaining to them the situation with the dealership. Hopefully they can provide a solution for your deli-ma. Personally I wouldn't pay them for the lowering kit since it is their (dealership) responsibility to be able to perform the job as they took it in. Since they're unable to perform the job it should not be the customers responsibility to pay for the lowering kit.
Had the dealer informed you before hand that the "special tool" is no longer available then I'd understand the dealers stance on you having to pay for the kit. After having a situation like that & knowing how they operate I'd never deal with that dealership again.
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/28/2017 6:25am
Id file a complaint with jabroni
scooter5002
10/28/2017 8:43am
A little research on the dealer's part, possibly through a computer search, or checking with KTM Canada, might show what dealer has the tool. E-mails can solve a lot, if someone puts the energy into the problem. If the tool is a KTM specific deal, a part number search should show who has one. This isn't rocket science. What dealer are you involved with?
rob162
10/28/2017 9:50am
Wp factory service call them 951 319 3300
KTM990SMT
10/28/2017 11:46am
H4L wrote:
I'd suggest contacting KTM direct (800 # customer service) & explaining to them the situation with the dealership. Hopefully they can provide a solution for your...
I'd suggest contacting KTM direct (800 # customer service) & explaining to them the situation with the dealership. Hopefully they can provide a solution for your deli-ma. Personally I wouldn't pay them for the lowering kit since it is their (dealership) responsibility to be able to perform the job as they took it in. Since they're unable to perform the job it should not be the customers responsibility to pay for the lowering kit.
Had the dealer informed you before hand that the "special tool" is no longer available then I'd understand the dealers stance on you having to pay for the kit. After having a situation like that & knowing how they operate I'd never deal with that dealership again.
I will probably have to get ahold of KTM on a weekday. There is a Canadian customer service number I can contact. Hopefully they answer.
KTM990SMT
10/28/2017 11:49am
A little research on the dealer's part, possibly through a computer search, or checking with KTM Canada, might show what dealer has the tool. E-mails can...
A little research on the dealer's part, possibly through a computer search, or checking with KTM Canada, might show what dealer has the tool. E-mails can solve a lot, if someone puts the energy into the problem. If the tool is a KTM specific deal, a part number search should show who has one. This isn't rocket science. What dealer are you involved with?
You are probably right, the tool does exist out there somewhere. However knowing what I know now and that KTM no longer makes the tool, I have lost interest in the kit.... chances are I will be moving cities at some point or even provinces. And if there is another KTM dealer that "does not have that tool" then no more front end suspension work. It just doesn't make sense to me anymore. I can ride the bike fine. the only thing that is a little tough is backing the bike up on slightly inclined parking lots. but I can make do. I was doing it out of pure convenience, and now it has become very inconvenient just to try and get it done...
mx317
10/28/2017 11:51am
Have them pull off the forks and send them to Powerband, Factory Connection or WP service.
10/28/2017 1:55pm
That's correct. KTM, or any other manufacturering distributer will not accept any parts back from the dealer unless it's been a mistake on their part. It's also a dealership licencing agreement to have all the tools, but the things are so dam expensive and if you get them for just one job you've lost money. I'd try and work out a good price on the parts seeing as they don't have the tools and then find another dealer who has the tools. KTM may be able to locate a dealer who has purchased them through the part numbers if you haven't pissed them off already.
As a consumer, you've done your part. With tact you might need to remind the dealer that they will have the chance to recoupe the loss on future services, parts and bike purchases. Or not.Wink
dkg
10/28/2017 4:59pm
Pretty sceptical that the tool is unavailable. I’d believe it costs too much and the dealer doesn’t want to buy it. I’d check with some other dealers and see what they say. See if a special order tool is needed and if it is available. Depending on the outcome, I’d then either buy the parts at cost or refuse them.
KTM990SMT
10/28/2017 9:53pm
That's correct. KTM, or any other manufacturering distributer will not accept any parts back from the dealer unless it's been a mistake on their part. It's...
That's correct. KTM, or any other manufacturering distributer will not accept any parts back from the dealer unless it's been a mistake on their part. It's also a dealership licencing agreement to have all the tools, but the things are so dam expensive and if you get them for just one job you've lost money. I'd try and work out a good price on the parts seeing as they don't have the tools and then find another dealer who has the tools. KTM may be able to locate a dealer who has purchased them through the part numbers if you haven't pissed them off already.
As a consumer, you've done your part. With tact you might need to remind the dealer that they will have the chance to recoupe the loss on future services, parts and bike purchases. Or not.Wink
well shot eh.. so KTM probably wont take it back. Which is probably why my dealership tried so hard to obtain a tool, or make a tool that will work... I havn't pissed off the dealer. yet.. we are still on good terms at this time.
However on some of the invoicing I have received from the dealer it states on the invoice "no returns on electrical parts". so a lowering kit is not an electrical part... who knows..
KTM990SMT
10/28/2017 9:55pm
dkg wrote:
Pretty sceptical that the tool is unavailable. I’d believe it costs too much and the dealer doesn’t want to buy it. I’d check with some other...
Pretty sceptical that the tool is unavailable. I’d believe it costs too much and the dealer doesn’t want to buy it. I’d check with some other dealers and see what they say. See if a special order tool is needed and if it is available. Depending on the outcome, I’d then either buy the parts at cost or refuse them.
That is definitely one way to look at it. An expensive tool. never even thought about it like that. not a bad idea to contact a few other dealers.
Problem being is that I simply just no longer want the parts.. I want to refuse them. They are not on my bike, and I don't want to put stuff on my bike that requires hard to find tools to take apart. not gonna happen.
BAMX
10/28/2017 10:34pm
early wrote:
Id file a complaint with jabroni
Didn't you hear, it is always the customers fault for being too cheap and not patient with poor service.
10/28/2017 11:38pm
Your dealer is a knob, he can't even perform proper suspension maintence without that tool. The lowering kit consists of nothing more then 2 cartridges,3 springs and a spacer.
10/30/2017 7:48am
If KTM is rebuilding "window'd" engines, why cant they take back this guys part? Doesnt make any sense
mx317
10/30/2017 8:19am
If KTM is rebuilding "window'd" engines, why cant they take back this guys part? Doesnt make any sense
Because the dealer probably waited too long to try and send them back. There have been several people in this thread that offered solutions to the OP's problem and he wants to make it a KTM customer service issue. KTM and other companies will let you return parts within a reasonable period of time as long as it's in the original unopened package. They charge a restock fee if it's the dealer's fault though. All this sounds like a dealer that didn't have his ducks in a row. They could have already pulled off the forks, sent them to an authorized WP service like several have listed above to have the kit installed and had the customer on his merry way.
Acidreamer
10/30/2017 8:47am
Ktm should have tools for their bikes. Period.

However you still ordered the part. Just because they couldnt install it doesnt mean you can leave the part in their lap for someone to come along and hopefully buy it. Since they couldnt install it, they shouldnt charge labor to you. In their eyes, they paid for a part that you intended on buying, and offered twice to pay. And now theyre stuck with it on their shelf and less money in their pocket.

Post a reply to: KTM Customer Service

The Latest