KTM 85 2018 idle problems

Related:
Create New Tag

4/25/2020 6:25 AM

Yesterday i started my bike and it was fine and started it today and it started 1st kick and i would have to stay on the throttle or it would cut out straight away. So then i drain the fuel out the carb and i change the spark plug and then i checked if there was petrol coming out the fuel tap and it was fine and there was no difference after doing this maintenance. Anyone got any suggestions ?

|

4/25/2020 7:05 AM

Does it idle with the choke on if so your pilot jet is dirty.

|

4/25/2020 7:07 AM

Nope doesnt idle with or without choke

|

4/25/2020 7:09 AM

Did you check the reeds

|

4/25/2020 7:10 AM

I would still clean the carburetor to especially if it's been sitting with pump gas in it.

|

4/25/2020 7:36 AM

I watched the video on Vitals main page yesterday about 2 strokes and he said first thing he would check if a bike isnt running right is crank seal and reeds, maybe worth checking both as not big jobs and free to check?

|

4/25/2020 7:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2020 7:46 AM

Just watched the video on how to keep a two stroke alive so now i know how to check the reeds but i start my bike most days and its fine and it hasnt been riden in 2 months would that make a difference?

|

4/25/2020 7:37 AM

GaryC1 wrote:

I watched the video on Vitals main page yesterday about 2 strokes and he said first thing he would check if a bike isnt running right is crank seal and reeds, maybe worth checking both as not big jobs and free to check?

Ok thank you

|

4/25/2020 7:47 AM

adamjc23 wrote:

Just watched the video on how to keep a two stroke alive so now i know how to check the reeds but i start my bike most days and its fine and it hasnt been riden in 2 months would that make a difference?

I'm pretty confident it's a dirty carburetor I highly doubt it's the main seals, when looking at the reeds look for any fraying or chips hold them up to the light make sure they're closing tight. if your right side crank seals bad the bike will be smoking because it would be sucking transmission oil in and burning it, the smoke will be different than premix and kind of hang in the air there will be lots of it. to check the stator side seal with the least amount of throttle as possible since the bike doesn't idle have somebody spray brake clean on the stator side while it's running and the bike should stall when it sucks it in.

|

4/25/2020 7:47 AM

RCF wrote:

I would still clean the carburetor to especially if it's been sitting with pump gas in it.

8 minutes ago
|

4/25/2020 7:49 AM

adamjc23 wrote:

RCF wrote:

I'm pretty confident it's a dirty carburetor I highly doubt it's the main seals, when looking at the reeds look for any fraying or chips hold them up to the light make sure they're closing tight. if your right side crank seals bad the bike will be smoking because it would be sucking transmission oil in and burning it, the smoke will be different than premix and kind of hang in the air there will be lots of it. to check the stator side seal with the least amount of throttle as possible since the bike doesn't idle have somebody spray brake clean on the stator side while it's running and the bike should stall when it sucks it in.

Alright cheers will check that soon

|

4/25/2020 7:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2020 7:51 AM

RCF wrote:

adamjc23 wrote:
8 minutes ago

yes the first thing I would do is definitely clean carburetor. if the bike revs out with no problem and it's just an idling issue then like I said originally clean the pilot jet 9 times out of 10 this is the problem.

|

4/25/2020 7:52 AM

RCF wrote:

adamjc23 wrote:
8 minutes ago

RCF wrote:

yes the first thing I would do is definitely clean carburetor. if the bike revs out with no problem and it's just an idling issue then like I said originally clean the pilot jet 9 times out of 10 this is the problem.

Ok will do that now cheers

|

4/25/2020 8:00 AM

adamjc23 wrote:
8 minutes ago

RCF wrote:

adamjc23 wrote:

you're going to need a set of torch cleaning files to clean out the Jets

Photo

|

4/25/2020 8:03 AM

RCF wrote:

adamjc23 wrote:

RCF wrote:

you're going to need a set of torch cleaning files to clean out the Jets

Photo

Ok thanks going to see what i can do, cheers for the help

|