KTM 350 SXF. BRAND NEW COMPLETELY STOCK

Related:
Create New Tag

2/4/2021 9:13 PM

Hi everyone
First time on the forum today
So I have just finished the running in hot to cold cycles and have ridden around a small space the bike is saying half hour use.
Tommorow I’m going to take it out and run through the gears up and down for half hour taking it to about half throttle.
Then I will let it cool down again completely and I’m going to try open it up as much as I can and have a little rip about for a while. Then drop the run in oil and replace with the proper one.
What upgrades do you think I will definitely benefit from? I’m thinking more about stability suspension balancing etc although I have read they are a bit sluggish down low stock.
I think that knowing what upgrades are available I will be able to look out for where I might like them on this first ride in sock mode.
I’m 16 stone and have been told I may have to adjust the suspension accordingly so any input on that will be great.
Thanks all
Danny

|

2/4/2021 9:33 PM

Get that suspension set up for you and pin that sucker.

|

2/4/2021 10:17 PM

first mod I would buy is insurance so some wanker doesn't steal it.

|

GP740
Since 1987

2/4/2021 10:28 PM

Thanks for a reply, so just set up right for my weight and not upgraded in anyway?
I’m just thinking to myself I’m going to keep this bike for many many years and thought if there are any upgrades That 100 % improve handling suspension why not have that from the start, well after a little rip tommorow i will start with upgrades in handling and stability. After that when I feel ready I will do some power upgrades I wonder what there is on the market.

|

2/4/2021 10:31 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Very good point that’s right I should see how much I can get insurance for it. Or maybe build a fortress for it I wonder how much it would be to insure it in my country, how much where you are ?
Thanks for reply

|

2/4/2021 10:34 PM

Danny Dirt wrote:

Hi everyone
So I have just finished the running in hot to cold cycles and have ridden around a ...more

By the way guys I was kind of asking if my running in process is sounding ok to you all. What you think?
Thanks

|

2/4/2021 10:54 PM

I broke my 350sxf in a race literally raced it it went to the gate at 0.0 hrs

|

2/4/2021 11:50 PM

I know of one OEM that puts every 4 stroke Mx bike off the line on a roller and runs through the gears. Then, within 30 seconds of initial startup, they bounce it off the limiter a few times. Take off a few items, bolt it to a crate and off to a dealer.

Your break-in procedure is more than adequate.

|

2/4/2021 11:54 PM

Danny Dirt wrote:

Hi everyone
So I have just finished the running in hot to cold cycles and have ridden around a ...more

Danny Dirt wrote:

By the way guys I was kind of asking if my running in process is sounding ok to you all. What you think?
Thanks

Nobody follows a running in procedure like yours bro!

Warm it up.
Race it!

Don’t flatter yourself that you’re capable enough to give a 350 a hard enough time that you’re going to damage it.

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

2/5/2021 12:05 AM

Danny Dirt wrote:

Thanks for a reply, so just set up right for my weight and not upgraded in anyway?
I’m just thinking to myself I’m going to ...more

If it’s a long termer then that’s probably more of a reason to take it slow with the mods. Not all mods are beneficial even if they look great with an expensive price tag and a magazine is being paid to sprout them as a “must have”
Get to know your steed well, you have the time, then take it from there. That bike is more than capable in taking whatever you throw at it, just set the suspenders up for your weight and your good to go .

|

2/5/2021 12:11 AM

Just get some seat time on it, you’ll know then if you want to change anything or modify it, most bikes now just need the suspension setting up for your weight and are good enough for 99% of people. Although good luck with that at the moment over here unless it’s road registered as all the tracks are shut.

Insurance can be done through bemoto, depending on your area and security probably somewhere around £110 a year for fire and theft cover.

|

2/5/2021 2:22 AM

Doing heat cycles with the bike just idling is the worst for a new engine. The cam(s) need at least 1500 revs (thats 3k on the crank) to form an oil wedge and the piston rings need gas pressure to be pressed onto the cylinder surface for proper running in. Adequate gas pressure is only available when the throttle is at least half way up and the engine works against a resistance = track or dyno. So for a perfect ring seal and long living cams/followers I always start my new engines for the first time on the track or dyno, cruise around a lap or 2 minutes allowing to warm up the engine a bit and from then on its WFO. Never had one go wrong. Despite owners trying to fry the new engine by doing heat cycles and other useless procedures almost all engines survive this stupid punishment because of the very high standards of materials and finishes inside those engines.

|

2/5/2021 5:12 AM

Just ride the the thing and quit screwing around. Life is short.

|

2/5/2021 12:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2021 12:41 PM

You can register off road vehicles in the UK now, free to do via a DVLA form and you don't have to tax it or sorn it or anything and obviously don't have to display a registration, but they assign it a registration number purely to match the frame and engine numbers to your name on their records and police data bases etc. Started with plant equipment and farm machinery but has spread now.

More chance of getting it back if it goes missing, cheaper insurance as you've bothered to record your details, win win.

The amount of stuff going missing in the UK lately it's well worth doing man, friend of mine there had his and his son's fresh Husky's (TX 300 and TC 50) stolen from a pretty secure CCTV and alarm covered unit and it's gutting.

|

2/5/2021 12:43 PM

But yeah 110% get a rear spring for your weight at a minimum.

|

2/5/2021 1:12 PM

Break in the bike how you're going to ride it. I took it somewhat easy the first hour, No ripping on the rev limiter but I wasn't riding soft. Then after the first hour I dumped the oil and filter and put a fresh oil and filter in. Did a quick once over on botls for the last 20 hours I have been riding the piss out of it. (450sxf) It takes about 5-10 hours for the Forks to break in. But I clicked the rebound in 5 clicks, went up in air pressure a bit and I love them. Great bikes, enjoy!

|

2/5/2021 3:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2021 3:36 PM

2018 air boot
Twin Air power flow cage and filter
Black throttle cam
Pro Taper Husqvarna bars
FCP motor mounts
Factory triple clamps
Works connection axel blocks and CRF axle

The bars, motor mounts and triple clamps make a huge difference in how the bike feels, corners, and reacts in braking bumps.

The air boot will give you the bottom end you’re looking for.

The suspension is amazing. I wouldn’t do anything but adjust the clickers and air.

Check the spokes and lower motor mount EVERY ride for the first 5 or so hours. The FFI wire will pop out on a regular basis. I used a little grip glue and it hasn’t pooped out since.

Totally forgot Vortex ignition from TD. Huge difference. More power and smoother delivery.

|

2/5/2021 7:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2021 7:34 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Danny Dirt wrote:

Very good point that’s right I should see how much I can get insurance for it. Or maybe build a fortress for it I wonder how ...more

I got 4 bikes $117 a year. 18 350 20 yz450 06 yz 144 and 95 cr250. Through progressive. Just sold the 350. So now I’m at like $86 a year for the remainder. 86 total all bikes. Not 86 a bike.

Stupid not to. (And I’ve had one lifted and progressive paid in 30 days it was a hassle but I got my money and a new bike over it)

|

GP740
Since 1987

2/5/2021 10:37 PM

So I have just finished the running in hot to cold cycles and have ridden around a small space the bike is saying half hour use.

So, now you need to replace the top end, then run it in properly.
You have probably only lost a little performance. But if it starts drinking oil, you’ll know you’ve glazed it bad.

Seriously.
It’s a controversial subject, but my belief is: “Heat cycles” are a throwback to 1950’s materials and design.
Some components won’t mind a gentle “run in”, but ring seal suffers with idle (a sin!) and gentle use initially.

Keep the revs a little off the limiter for the first half hour.
Use a grade or 2 down on the normal oil you’d choose. For the first couple of hours. (EG Mineral, or semi synthetic, rather than top of the line.)
Ride it like it was designed to be ridden.

It’s a KTM - It’s ready to race.

|

2/5/2021 10:50 PM

|

2/5/2021 11:08 PM

|

2/6/2021 7:56 AM

I've had 2 350s, a 16 350xcf and 19 FX350...I've put massive hours on both with my 350xcf having over 700hrs on the stock original motor.

IMO the sky is the limit to what mods you want to do. A lot will be specific to what you are trying to achieve, and what suites you personal needs.

For me:
-Better battery such as the Anti-Gravity AG-801 for improved capacity and starting capabilities.

-Suspension setup for your weight, discipline and speed will do wonders for improving comfort.

-Honda HSPD using the RE bracket. I felt it reduced unnecessary bar wiggle and improved stability.

-Black throttle cam is a cheap fix.

-FMF slip-on for the SA. But felt it improved the motor from top to bottom

-T4 race fuel for improved throttle response

-RE Bar Mounts for increased durability and reduced crash damage

-Factory bump seat. Help better position my body in the bike

-TT rad fan. Inexpensive way to keep your bike cool under the most extreme conditions

|

2/6/2021 8:08 AM

You got a dirt bike. First thing go ride it. You don’t need upgrades right away and all the bells and whistles. Ride the shit out of it and learn your bike. No need to buy all the new shit right away for no reason just because it’s a new bike. Just ride the dam thing man.

|

2/6/2021 9:43 AM

xrmark wrote:

You got a dirt bike. First thing go ride it. You don’t need upgrades right away and all the bells and whistles. Ride the shit ...more

I absolutely agree with this.

OP sounds like he's a MTB'er- those guys are obsessed with fitting 'upgrades' to brand new bikes!

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

2/6/2021 9:59 AM

set the sag and ride it

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

2/6/2021 10:09 AM

Danny Dirt wrote:

Thanks

Your overthinking it. Break it in like you want it to run. I broke mine in from the truck to the starting line after a few heat cycles in the garage. Valves were fine at 30 and 60 hrs. Leak test was fine as well

|

2/6/2021 9:08 PM

Danny Dirt wrote:

Hi everyone

Danny Dirt wrote:

Thanks

PFitzG38 wrote:

Your overthinking it. Break it in like you want it to run. I broke mine in from the truck to the starting line after a few ...more

I’m almost 100 hours on my 19 350 haven’t checked the valves.

If you keep the air filters clean, air box clean and oil fresh, they are unreal!

|

2/7/2021 12:41 AM

Danny Dirt wrote:

I’m just thinking to myself I’m going to ...more

tobz wrote:

If it’s a long termer then that’s probably more of a reason to take it slow with the mods. Not all mods are beneficial even if ...more

So many varied responses guys , have i damaged my bike? Have I given it a good chance of lasting a nice long time?
So I took it out for the first ride, done some trail riding to get to a clear field and took it through the gears up and back down again about 10 times then opened it up half way throttle up and down up and down a few times.
I haven’t had 4 stroke before and have just been trying to do what I thought was best for it.
Noticed quite a bit of vibration coming through the handle bars and foot pegs but I was wearing trainers and sheep’s wool gloves so I suppose that will be reduced when I get my kit (were in lockdown in uk so I can’t go try anything on so I’m pretty screwed unless I wanna go through hassle of ordering and sending back stuff in the post)
From all the responses I feel like I should take her out and hammer her now. I admit I have been being gentle but the dealer I got it from advised me this. He knew I had sent my courier a long way to get the bike so I doubt he wanted me to damage the bike to have to bring it back to get work done from him because that won’t be happening.
Someone said I need to change my top end because of how I have done the run in cycle is this a possibility guys ?
Feel like I have just abused my new born baby 😂
Danny

|

2/7/2021 3:04 AM

You haven’t damaged it mate, get some proper boots and gear and enjoy the bike.

|

2/7/2021 7:12 AM

tobz wrote:

You haven’t damaged it mate, get some proper boots and gear and enjoy the bike.

Thanks for reply Tobz I hope your right
Cheers

|