KTM 350 SXF - FC Suspension

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2019 6:17 PM

I bought a 2019 350 SXF last year. I really love the motor and general feel of the bike and the fit and finish is great. The only thing that sucks are the forks. Now they may not be completely broken in but much less plush than the CRF and YZs I've ridden in the past. It gives the bike a much less predictable feel, the front end doesn't settle well in the turns, etc.

I'd like to get them re-valved and got pricing from Factory Connection for about $1400. While I'm sure that FC's work is great, it's quite expensive to do their full performance package and shock bladder kit for the WP stuff. Before I drop the money, I'd like to hear if it's worth it or if there are alternative options that people have liked for the bike.

Thanks.

|

1/28/2019 6:18 PM

What’s your weight, skill, and riding style? What air pressure are you running?

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

1/28/2019 7:10 PM

Mx Tech Lucky kit is less than that installed. I have a 19 350 xcf and that's what I'm having done right now by Fastlap suspension.

|

1/28/2019 7:24 PM

BobPA wrote:

What’s your weight, skill, and riding style? What air pressure are you running?

220, Vet C, ride motocross, mostly Budds Creek and local tracks.

|

1/28/2019 7:41 PM

al711 wrote:

Mx Tech Lucky kit is less than that installed. I have a 19 350 xcf and that's what I'm having done right now by Fastlap suspension.

I've been looking at the lucky system as well. How much total for the install? I know the parts are 900-1000 just curious about the labor.

|

1/28/2019 7:45 PM

I went thru this last year with my 2018 450sxf. After debating half the year and blaming myself for the way the forks feel I broke down and bought ohlins inserts. Best decision ever. The bike should come this way.

|

1/28/2019 7:58 PM

al711 wrote:

Mx Tech Lucky kit is less than that installed. I have a 19 350 xcf and that's what I'm having done right now by Fastlap suspension.

kdawson252 wrote:

I've been looking at the lucky system as well. How much total for the install? I know the parts are 900-1000 just curious about the labor.

Couple hundred more. Don't have final price yet, I have some other stuff too. Mx tank and revalbe the rear. I'll follow up with total price when I get it.

|

1/28/2019 8:13 PM

cr12500 wrote:

I bought a 2019 350 SXF last year. I really love the motor and general feel of the bike and the fit and finish is great. The only thing that sucks are the forks. Now they may not be completely broken in but much less plush than the CRF and YZs I've ridden in the past. It gives the bike a much less predictable feel, the front end doesn't settle well in the turns, etc.

I'd like to get them re-valved and got pricing from Factory Connection for about $1400. While I'm sure that FC's work is great, it's quite expensive to do their full performance package and shock bladder kit for the WP stuff. Before I drop the money, I'd like to hear if it's worth it or if there are alternative options that people have liked for the bike.

Thanks.

I have some fc spring conversion forks and bladder converted rear shock I’d be willing to trade your forks and shock plus 600 on your end, it’s sprung and valved for 160lb so you’ll need stiffer springs but if you have the rear already that’s an easy swap. Let me know I could meet you next time I go to Southfork
Ben
610960028seven

|

1/28/2019 8:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 8:21 PM

I was in the same boat and went with KYB inserts. Protune did the KYB conversion and the revalved the shock and did the shock bladder kit for a couple hundred less than what factory connection quoted you. I ride Vet B 160lbs and mx. A lot more confidence in the front end now and a lot better smoother.

|

1/28/2019 8:18 PM

IMO! That is a hell of a bike in stock form. Spend some time with the clickers and learn how the suspension works. As a vet C rider you’ll be fine until your skills dramatically improve. Nice bike man. Learn to make it work for you.

|

1/28/2019 9:08 PM

Go kyb or conevalves before u spend that much on a revalve

|

1/28/2019 9:44 PM

Find a used set of cone valve forks. The rear shock is very very good as is.

Give Billy at PowerBand Racing a call. I’ve heard great things. I might send my stuff there.

|

1/28/2019 10:26 PM

What is your air pressure and clicker settings?? It shouldn’t be as bad as you are stating... these forks take at least 10 hrs to settle... I put 155 hours on my stock stuff without even checking sag.... shit is awesome

|

1/28/2019 10:30 PM

Put the clickers to 18c and 18r... put a 150lbs in the fork and do a moto. Drop it 5 lbs and do a moto. Did it get better or worse? Repeat until satisfied smile

|

1/28/2019 10:30 PM

cr12500 wrote:

I bought a 2019 350 SXF last year. I really love the motor and general feel of the bike and the fit and finish is great. The only thing that sucks are the forks. Now they may not be completely broken in but much less plush than the CRF and YZs I've ridden in the past. It gives the bike a much less predictable feel, the front end doesn't settle well in the turns, etc.

I'd like to get them re-valved and got pricing from Factory Connection for about $1400. While I'm sure that FC's work is great, it's quite expensive to do their full performance package and shock bladder kit for the WP stuff. Before I drop the money, I'd like to hear if it's worth it or if there are alternative options that people have liked for the bike.

Thanks.

There isn't a whole lot FC is going to do to the AER forks. Getting the right spring and valving in the rear shock will help a ton but you don't need to do their bladder cup mod. They should be able to give you really good fork settings over the phone. Otherwise your next option is doing a spring conversion kit.

|

SoCal - Behind the scenes MX/SX

1/28/2019 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 10:47 PM

I had FC re-work my AER's. They did the Performance Mod and re-valve. That was less than $500.00. They are a lot better in chop and settle in the turns. This was FC in Oregon about a yr ago. Also look at the MX Tech mid-valve kit. Folks been raving about that and takes care of some of the AER's main issues. Those are the cheaper options. Drop-in spring kits go from $900-$1800 from what I'm looking at lately.

|

1/28/2019 11:28 PM

Revalving should be cheap as because it’s a single sided fork. The forks don’t run any float in the mid valve and once revalved will be more plusher initially and settle into tougher corners.

|

1/29/2019 2:01 AM

I dont think anything mx tech does is a "cheaper option" ? what about kreft moto? I've read some amazing reviews on them not sure on their pricing. Imo, I would never put $1500/2k into stock suspension , like others mentioned find a used set of conevalves. I had conevalves from powerband and they where better than my online with huckvalves.CV'S where the best forks I've ever ridden with

|

1/29/2019 3:14 AM

Dal soggio inserts are modular so you can put them into another bike.
Seem to get good results

|

1/29/2019 4:53 AM

cr12500 wrote:

I bought a 2019 350 SXF last year. I really love the motor and general feel of the bike and the fit and finish is great. The only thing that sucks are the forks. Now they may not be completely broken in but much less plush than the CRF and YZs I've ridden in the past. It gives the bike a much less predictable feel, the front end doesn't settle well in the turns, etc.

I'd like to get them re-valved and got pricing from Factory Connection for about $1400. While I'm sure that FC's work is great, it's quite expensive to do their full performance package and shock bladder kit for the WP stuff. Before I drop the money, I'd like to hear if it's worth it or if there are alternative options that people have liked for the bike.

Thanks.

I'm about to do the same for my 2019 350 SXF. I've never had air forks until recently, but highly recommend their re-valve for spring suspension. I have a 2019 XC 250 as well that I'm still running stock suspension and found if you play with the settings on the fork it can make a huge difference

|

1/29/2019 5:09 AM

Factory Connection is junk - you’d be way better off going to Enzo if you want a big brand. A simple revalve or conevalves would be the way to go.

|

1/29/2019 5:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2019 5:34 AM

Just my opinion of course but no way those forks are no good for a Vet C rider. I would really suggest trying different settings. With the infinite spring rates in the front fork to test with, you really have a lot of options with your settings.

If a bike is not "settling" in a turn, I assume you are talking about entry of a turn, might want to address your shock settings. A bike will not settle into shit if it is "choppered" because you are blowing through the rear shock. @ 220 are you running the right spring rate in the rear?

|

1/29/2019 5:45 AM

Jrewing wrote:

Revalving should be cheap as because it’s a single sided fork. The forks don’t run any float in the mid valve and once revalved will be more plusher initially and settle into tougher corners.

Tell that to FC. They charge an arm and a leg for no reason. Priced themselves out of a lot business around here.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

1/29/2019 5:46 AM

1400 for a revalve is batshit crazy.
Get some used CV's or KYB's, have them set up for you, and for just slightly more than the cost of FC's revalve you will have a decent suspension to use on your bikes for years to come.

|

1/29/2019 6:47 AM

I will chime in on the stock forks as a few others have. A Vet C rider at 220 lbs shouldn't have a problem coming up with a good setting on the stock fork. People seem to struggle with the air pressures in this fork and I'm not sure why. As someone else stated, change in 5 lb increments until you are getting full travel and then fine tune. My 17 FC350 forks are great after taking the time to figure out what i wanted. They do take a while to break in. The AER is the only air fork I have ever been able to stand, but I love mine.

|

1/29/2019 6:52 AM

Talk to Enzo and get a price.

|

1/29/2019 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2019 6:59 AM

All I’ve seen in this thread is recommendations for a business to modify the forks. No talk of what people do to dial in the settings.


So, what airnpressure are you running. And what have you done at the track to exhaust all efforts of the stock adjustability ? Are you doing all you can before you spend money just to find out on the other side.....nothings changed?

Reason I’m asking is because I’ve been a Yamaha guy for years and years with the SSS. I’ve had it revolved. I got the wp aer48, and it has so much adjustability I got it dialed and very comfy on it in one day. No need to revalve. They really got this stuff right.

|

GP740
Since 1987

1/29/2019 7:00 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

All I’ve seen in this thread is recommendations for a business to modify the forks. No talk of what people do to dial in the settings.


So, what airnpressure are you running. And what have you done at the track to exhaust all efforts of the stock adjustability ? Are you doing all you can before you spend money just to find out on the other side.....nothings changed?

Reason I’m asking is because I’ve been a Yamaha guy for years and years with the SSS. I’ve had it revolved. I got the wp aer48, and it has so much adjustability I got it dialed and very comfy on it in one day. No need to revalve. They really got this stuff right.

Exactly why I said talk to some place knowledgeable like Enzo (and they don't charge 1k+). 90% of vital is convinced that you can't run the stock forks and like the bike so it's a tough type of thread to post in haha.

|

1/29/2019 7:04 AM

Turbojez wrote:

1400 for a revalve is batshit crazy.
Get some used CV's or KYB's, have them set up for you, and for just slightly more than the cost of FC's revalve you will have a decent suspension to use on your bikes for years to come.

Please show me where to get some used CV's for just slightly more than $1,400.

|

1/29/2019 7:19 AM

Turbojez wrote:

1400 for a revalve is batshit crazy.
Get some used CV's or KYB's, have them set up for you, and for just slightly more than the cost of FC's revalve you will have a decent suspension to use on your bikes for years to come.

Jak3 wrote:

Please show me where to get some used CV's for just slightly more than $1,400.

take the 1400 revolve budget + selling Aer48 = used cones

|