KTM 300 XC vs. Husqvarna TX 300 vs. GG 300 EX

agn5008
Fantasy
256th
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2021 8:34pm
Which model would you guys go with and why? I’m about to put a down payment on either a new 2022 KTM or Husky which is expected in June. Or should I go buy a 2021 Gas Gas that a dealer has on the floor.

Each has their positives and negatives. Here are my personal thoughts.

KTM: I like the aluminum sub frame. I’ve snapped the composite frame a few times on my 2017 Husky. I (think) I like the looks of the KTM best out of the 3 but honestly it’s super close so I’m not hung up on this.

Husqvarna: I LOVE how the “graphics” are molded on rather than having traditional stickers. it has a little more bling than the other 2. I (think??) this is the only one of the three that comes with a mapping switch.

Gas Gas: like the KTM it has the aluminum subframe. I really like the looks as well but I have small concerns about resale value. I don’t think many would argue that the KTM and Husky will sell for more and much easier when that time comes in a few years.

I can get the 2022 KTM and Husky for $10k OTD from a dealer I contacted. I haven’t got the OTD price on the 2021 Gas Gas but the dealer told me he won’t go down on price because the bikes are selling so fast. So I’m assuming it will actually end up being more than the Husky and KTM which is obviously no bueno. (Disclaimer, no I’m not worried about spending a couple hundred dollars more either way. The price is not the issue on any of them, I’m just so hard headed that I have a hard time paying more for something (the GG) when it’s valued $1000 less MSRP.

So what do you guys think? What are the known differences at this point? Different brake/clutch systems? Different components or hardware?
|
yz133rider
5/17/2021 5:52pm
Town and country cycle in nj and jt motorsports both have the gg 300 in stock and I’m sure will sell them at msrp out the door.

I went gas gas for the value alone. 1k less new than the others essentially. I see used orange and white versions asking more than I paid for my gasgas 450 new.

I’ll take new for a relative “bargain” every time.
austin_bo
Fantasy
228th
5/17/2021 6:15pm
KTM & GG have aluminum frames? Are you sure about that? Also, my ‘21 KTM has molded graphics. I say buy the GG... I don’t have a lot of confidence that the ‘22 models are going to show up on time and you could be waiting beyond June. They’re all very similar bikes and you should be happy with whatever you choose (Husky even has Brembo brakes and clutch for ‘22).
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/17/2021 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2021 6:21pm
austin_bo wrote:
KTM & GG have aluminum frames? Are you sure about that? Also, my ‘21 KTM has molded graphics. I say buy the GG... I don’t have...
KTM & GG have aluminum frames? Are you sure about that? Also, my ‘21 KTM has molded graphics. I say buy the GG... I don’t have a lot of confidence that the ‘22 models are going to show up on time and you could be waiting beyond June. They’re all very similar bikes and you should be happy with whatever you choose (Husky even has Brembo brakes and clutch for ‘22).
Sorry, steel frames. Fixed.

I wasn’t aware the new KTMs had molded graphics. If that’s true that may persuade me enough to go KTM.
yz133rider
5/17/2021 6:23pm
austin_bo wrote:
KTM & GG have aluminum frames? Are you sure about that? Also, my ‘21 KTM has molded graphics. I say buy the GG... I don’t have...
agn5008 wrote:

I wasn’t aware the new KTMs had molded graphics. If that’s true that may persuade me enough to go KTM.
Ktm and gg have aluminum subframes and husky has carbon subframe.

Gg and husky share the same swing arm.
Ktm uses its own.

All have the same chromoly frames.

The Shop

GuyWithABike
Fantasy
2278th
5/17/2021 6:27pm
I heard a hard enduro guy at my local riding area Saturday raving about his Gas Gas. Said it was the best hard enduro bike he’s ever had. He was there with his family and had 19 other bikes there.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/17/2021 6:31pm
austin_bo wrote:
agn5008 wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
Ktm and gg have aluminum subframes and husky has carbon subframe. Gg and husky share the same swing arm. Ktm uses its own. All have the...
Ktm and gg have aluminum subframes and husky has carbon subframe.

Gg and husky share the same swing arm.
Ktm uses its own.

All have the same chromoly frames.

Sigh. I meant subframe.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/17/2021 6:33pm
I heard a hard enduro guy at my local riding area Saturday raving about his Gas Gas. Said it was the best hard enduro bike he’s...
I heard a hard enduro guy at my local riding area Saturday raving about his Gas Gas. Said it was the best hard enduro bike he’s ever had. He was there with his family and had 19 other bikes there.
From what I understand he would most likely rave bout the other two bikes as well since they’re all essentially the same.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/17/2021 6:39pm
Get the ktm, Brembo brakes and clutch, aluminum subframe. Or get whatever you can get first, which is probably still the ktm.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/17/2021 7:06pm
endurox wrote:
TM or Beta
I want fuel injection so beta is out. TM is too much of a gamble I’m not willing to take.
Spooner
5/17/2021 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2021 7:37pm
They are all basically the exact same bike other than the subframe and the husky has a map switch stock. I have a 20 TX300i and its been awesome and rock solid. I mainly got it because there are 14 billion KTM's and the Husky's are a bit more rare. The TPI is awesome though, you're gonna love whatever you get.

Oh and I think the '22s have brembo now but if they don't I wouldn't be afraid at all of the Magura's. I absolutely love the brakes on my bike (other than the stock pads didn't have much feel) but I was a little nervous about them but they have been great. Same pads as the brembo calipers too.
Nate_Z
5/17/2021 7:48pm
I have a 21 300xc and a buddy bought the GasGas EC300. Obviously different than the EX, but engines felt very similar. I would assume EX and XC suspension feel similar, what persuaded me was in my area easier to get a plate for the KTM and known reliability of all the Brembo stuff. Can’t go wrong either way!
LoudLove
5/17/2021 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2021 8:33pm
agn5008 wrote:
Which model would you guys go with and why? I’m about to put a down payment on either a new 2022 KTM or Husky which is...
Which model would you guys go with and why? I’m about to put a down payment on either a new 2022 KTM or Husky which is expected in June. Or should I go buy a 2021 Gas Gas that a dealer has on the floor.

KTM: I like the aluminum sub frame. I’ve snapped the composite frame a few times on my 2017 Husky. I (think) I like the looks of the KTM best out of the 3 but honestly it’s super close so I’m not hung up on this.

Husqvarna: I LOVE how the “graphics” are molded on rather than having traditional stickers. it has a little more bling than the other 2. I (think??) this is the only one of the three that comes with a mapping switch.

Gas Gas: like the KTM it has the aluminum subframe. I really like the looks as well but I have small concerns about resale value. I don’t think many would argue that the KTM and Husky will sell for more and much easier when that time comes in a few years.

I can get the 2022 KTM and Husky for $10k OTD from a dealer I contacted. I haven’t got the OTD price on the 2021 Gas Gas but the dealer told me he won’t go down on price because the bikes are selling so fast. So I’m assuming it will actually end up being more than the Husky and KTM which is obviously no bueno. (Disclaimer, no I’m not worried about spending a couple hundred dollars more either way. The price is not the issue on any of them, I’m just so hard headed that I have a hard time paying more for something (the GG) when it’s valued $1000 less MSRP.

So what do you guys think? What are the known differences at this point? Different brake/clutch systems? Different components or hardware?
$10K OTD on a ‘22? Send that dealer’s contact info. It’s north of $12.5K in TX. MSRP is ~$10.3K. Hottest market in decades. You sure your guy quoted accurately?
CKNY
5/18/2021 4:17am
endurox wrote:
TM or Beta
agn5008 wrote:
I want fuel injection so beta is out. TM is too much of a gamble I’m not willing to take.
Why do you want fuel injection?
So he doesn’t have to dick around with a carb and mix gas most likely. Nice smooth power.
CKNY
5/18/2021 4:18am
endurox wrote:
TM or Beta
agn5008 wrote:
The TM works great. Different feel than the Austrian bikes for sure.
CKNY
5/18/2021 4:19am
Nate_Z wrote:
I have a 21 300xc and a buddy bought the GasGas EC300. Obviously different than the EX, but engines felt very similar. I would assume EX...
I have a 21 300xc and a buddy bought the GasGas EC300. Obviously different than the EX, but engines felt very similar. I would assume EX and XC suspension feel similar, what persuaded me was in my area easier to get a plate for the KTM and known reliability of all the Brembo stuff. Can’t go wrong either way!
The GasGas has a different flywheel. All the TPi bikes run the same mapping.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/18/2021 4:38am
agn5008 wrote:
Which model would you guys go with and why? I’m about to put a down payment on either a new 2022 KTM or Husky which is...

LoudLove wrote:
$10K OTD on a ‘22? Send that dealer’s contact info. It’s north of $12.5K in TX. MSRP is ~$10.3K. Hottest market in decades. You sure your...
$10K OTD on a ‘22? Send that dealer’s contact info. It’s north of $12.5K in TX. MSRP is ~$10.3K. Hottest market in decades. You sure your guy quoted accurately?
Yes. Send me a PM and I’ll send the dealers info. Call and check for yourself. East coast dealership so you’d have quite the travel.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/18/2021 4:42am
endurox wrote:
TM or Beta
agn5008 wrote:
Why would I not? No jetting concerns and it’s going to be awesome not mixing gas. I understand some are against it but the way I see it is you might as well get used to it. They’ll all be fuel injected sooner rather than later.
Tim507
5/18/2021 5:25am
I have a 20 KTM 300 TPI XC, absolutely an awesome bike.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
5/18/2021 7:27am
I paid $10k otd for the gasgas and felt like I got a relatively good deal given the current market. The 250XCs I called on were about $1k more despite only being $400 more MSRP.

I like red plastics, but the KTM does give you the hour meter and handguards standard. The TX has a better handlebar than either, and I think it still has the hour meter and map switch so that might be the best deal if you don't mind the plastic subframe. Yes it has carbon fiber in it but it is mostly plastic. Tough call if you are looking at all 3 for the same price. I would think the KTM/Husky will have a little higher resale but it is hard to say. The red looks really good.

The gasgas seat material works for me, but I don't think it is going to be as durable as the KTM. It seems like more of a plastic fabric whereas the ktm is more vinyl. I haven't ridden a '21 KTM, but I did have a '20 300xc last year. The gasgas suspension is better front and rear than the '20 ktm. It is more plush especially on small hits and as good or better on big hits. The engine might spool up just a hair faster than the 2020 KTM did but that may just be the latest engine calibration.
5/18/2021 7:52am
agn5008 wrote:
CKNY wrote:
So he doesn’t have to dick around with a carb and mix gas most likely. Nice smooth power.
This is exactly why I asked. You are uninformed. Do your homework as Bets’s do not require you to mix fuel. Also, some prefer to be able to tune their bikes, i.e. carb
Schlava
5/18/2021 7:58am
I have a 21 GG EX 300 I'm considering selling. Not to far from you. Let me know if you want the details. 40 hours on it.
5/18/2021 8:01am
agn5008 wrote:
agn5008 wrote:
Why would I not? No jetting concerns and it’s going to be awesome not mixing gas. I understand some are against it but the way I...
Why would I not? No jetting concerns and it’s going to be awesome not mixing gas. I understand some are against it but the way I see it is you might as well get used to it. They’ll all be fuel injected sooner rather than later.
There are many reasons to prefer a carb over FI. It depends on the type of riding and amount of tune-ability. Jetting?? There are plenty of smart carbs available if you are concerned with jetting.

Most of the hardcore enduro riders who ride to very remote locations prefer less working parts and electronics for less points of failure.

FI on two strokes is being pushed by the EPA, not by the consumer demand:

https://motocrossactionmag.com/ask-the-mxperts-a-fuel-injected-two-stro…

Joko
Fantasy
190th
5/18/2021 8:08am
Can you modify a 300 TPI to get the equivalent power output of a 250/300sx carb bike? How much power do you give away with TPI? 3-5hp/tq?
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
5/18/2021 9:01am
CKNY wrote:
This is exactly why I asked. You are uninformed. Do your homework as Bets’s do not require you to mix fuel. Also, some prefer to be...
This is exactly why I asked. You are uninformed. Do your homework as Bets’s do not require you to mix fuel. Also, some prefer to be able to tune their bikes, i.e. carb
Beta race editions require premix.
5/18/2021 9:20am
CKNY wrote:
This is exactly why I asked. You are uninformed. Do your homework as Bets’s do not require you to mix fuel. Also, some prefer to be...
wrc777 wrote:
They did that to save 2lbs...don't like to mix fuel then buy the non Race Edition or simply add the oil injection system to the race edition.
5/18/2021 9:26am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2021 9:27am
I have a '19 Husky TX 300 with a Lectron and my son has a '17 KTM 250 XC with a smart carb.

I love the Husky, BUT....I'd go with a KTM or GasGas for the aluminum subframe. The composite subframe is scary and I've broken the tabs that hold the seat down to it. Fixed that with JB Weld repair and some strategic Velcro. I don't like the Husky plastics and the way they clip together. I don't care about the molded in graphics at all because I run custom graphics.

So... I'd probably go GasGas just to be different from all the KTM's but I'd have zero problems with the KTM.

I want a carb, though, which is why we snapped up the '17 250XC (with 23 hours on it this spring) and why I grabbed the '19 Husky when I saw it.

5/18/2021 9:35am
agn5008 wrote:
CKNY wrote:
Nice smooth power? Where do you want that smooth power? Just rode baja and heard more than one KTM rider complaining about their low end power delivery on their TPI bikes (boggy). You can't easily tune this like a carb.

Here's a good comparison of both fuel delivery systems. As for parts availability for different brands it depends where you live. In CA it's very easy to get Beta parts now. Not sure about TM or Sherco.

Some people like the option "to dick around with a carb", especially on the trail. If you don't want to watch the whole video start watching at the 6min mark:

agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/18/2021 9:41am
wrc777 wrote:
They did that to save 2lbs...don't like to mix fuel then buy the non Race Edition or simply add the oil injection system to the race...
They did that to save 2lbs...don't like to mix fuel then buy the non Race Edition or simply add the oil injection system to the race edition.
I don’t want a beta.

Post a reply to: KTM 300 XC vs. Husqvarna TX 300 vs. GG 300 EX

The Latest