KTM 250sx

7/28/2020 7:49pm
My 2015 250sx is a rocket ship. I bought it last season off a coworker. I knew i was taking a chance with the 4cs, but he had factory connection revalve both ends and he weighed close to my weight. I figured it was worth a shot... Well the suspension still isnt great even when I put in the proper spings for my weight.

This is my first 250 smoker, so it has take me a while to get use to it.... im still not use to it. I mainly ride my 19 kx450 and the 250sx has become a great bike for the trails/winter. I do try to ride the 250 every now and then on my mx track, but its such a different animal compared to my 450, that i dont enjoy ridding it as much. For me, i have to ride the 250 alot to ride it good. In a ridding session, I cant ride the bikes back to back. The factory connection revalved suspension on my kx450, feels like a cadillac compared to the 250 lol. Did i mention it also vibrates pretty good too lol.

Another thing i noticed is that the tank/shrouds are much wider on my 250sx than my kx450. The 450 intern, feels smaller.

Dont get me wrong, its fun to ride on certain tracks that favor a 250 smoker. I would love to try a newer generation 250sx as i feel I would be more comfotable on it and they seem to have fixed the things I dislike about my current 250sx.
brocster
7/28/2020 8:13pm
Going off of bone stock sound alone, the KTM 250SX wins hands down, sounds crispy! air forks, not so much.
Rickyisms
7/28/2020 9:37pm
Rickyisms wrote:
The newer Austrian two strokes are really great bikes and in the last 5-6 years have become a super reliable platform. Some people just love hating...
The newer Austrian two strokes are really great bikes and in the last 5-6 years have become a super reliable platform. Some people just love hating what's popular. The YZ is a great bike as well, but dated in a few departments IMO.
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I feel like if Yamaha wanted to do the bare minimum for an update, they could tweak the frame geometry for sharper handling and change up...
I feel like if Yamaha wanted to do the bare minimum for an update, they could tweak the frame geometry for sharper handling and change up the swingarm (align it with 250f or 450f), which all can potentially shave a couple pounds off as well.

Also, perhaps give the cylinder head a reasonable squish band.

The rest is fine. Yes the KTM makes more power in the mid range, but the YZ makes more up top and has a broader delivery. Pick your poison and mod accordingly. Pretty crazy that the 21 year old YZ engine is still so damn good as it is!
I have a 125SX and 150SX and my friend has a 2020 YZ125. Riding them back to back is a huge difference. The YZ still feels like a 2000s bike sitting on it, The KTM feels a lot more modern and gives you the feeling of sitting ON the bike rather than IN the bike. I’m a taller guy and use my legs a lot and airbox and number plates are very smooth and slim on the KTM which gives me a lot better movement abilities on the bike.

His is bone stock with a FMF pipe and GYTR silencer, I dialed in the jetting for him and I will say that thing sounds bad ass. Especially from the cockpit when you’re screaming it, definitely brings a smile to my face when I ride it even though I’m a biased orange guy.
SoCalMX70
7/28/2020 10:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2020 10:36am
Rickyisms wrote:
I have a 125SX and 150SX and my friend has a 2020 YZ125. Riding them back to back is a huge difference. The YZ still feels...
I have a 125SX and 150SX and my friend has a 2020 YZ125. Riding them back to back is a huge difference. The YZ still feels like a 2000s bike sitting on it, The KTM feels a lot more modern and gives you the feeling of sitting ON the bike rather than IN the bike. I’m a taller guy and use my legs a lot and airbox and number plates are very smooth and slim on the KTM which gives me a lot better movement abilities on the bike.

His is bone stock with a FMF pipe and GYTR silencer, I dialed in the jetting for him and I will say that thing sounds bad ass. Especially from the cockpit when you’re screaming it, definitely brings a smile to my face when I ride it even though I’m a biased orange guy.
Well I was only speaking of the 250. The YZ125 is having somewhat the opposite problem. The chassis is generally well liked and regarded as not feeling as outdated as it should. It handles and turns very well. The engine however needs a major update to be truly on the same level as the small bore KTM.

The Shop

7/29/2020 1:28am
I have owned a few KTM 250 2 strokes, and four's too, and i always seem to go back to the 2 stroke.

Had over the years : 2012, 2 x 2013's, 2014 with full Ohlins, and now a new 2020 250.

Its just fun!, you have to work it to go fast, and i like that challenge. I would rather work my ass off riding that bike than sit there and let the 450 do most of the work. When you get it right on a 2 stroke its just awesome and you will remember that days riding for a long time.

The 2020 is mega. Its the first time of having a "new gen" KTM in the 2 stroke range and all i can say is if you have not had a go on one, then do. People do say alot about vibration on the older models like i had before but tbh i did not really notice anything crazy bad. But this new model is zero vibration!. The engine is so crisp and pulls well from down low with no clutching at all, very smooth for a 2 stroke but still raw!. It sure lets you know if you have the correct body position or not when you exit a corner lol.

I have 5hrs on now inc running in, suspension is now just breaking in too, the new XACT is very good from stock, try it out before you think bad of it!. Its not like the older stuff at all.

Very happy I have one.
MotofactioN
7/29/2020 4:44am
pete24 wrote:
i have had 25 new yz250s from 87-16 i consider myself a yamaha guy and i had plenty of the Al framed ones had 06 07...
i have had 25 new yz250s from 87-16 i consider myself a yamaha guy and i had plenty of the Al framed ones had
in the current state that unit is in, ive raced them in every class from novice to expert to vet to over the hill (55+)
i made expert in new england on an 87yz250

soooo my buddy owns a husky dealer makes me buy a 19 TC250
hands down boys and girls, its better than the YZ and if yamaha dont do something about that bike they should just stop making them its an embarassment
Actually not everyone has the money for a brand new KTM. And some people enjoy having a bike like the YZ250 or 125 because there are so many interchangeable parts and the market for aftermarket parts is huge! So many used parts and stuff.

I don’t see why people like you get on here saying how they should stop making them ect. Just because YOU enjoyed it so much. It reminds me of someone who buys the KTM Factory Edition and tells everyone that they should buy it and that if you buy any other bike it’s an embarrassment blah blah blah.

I love how I can buy a couple years old YZ250, or shit, 10 year old yz250, and it’s not much different than the newest one! Cool
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/29/2020 7:36am
AH387 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you said. I guess 1 thing I need to point out, in saying that I prefer the Yamahas is...
I agree with a lot of what you said. I guess 1 thing I need to point out, in saying that I prefer the Yamahas is I also have a Husky 350. I waited until Husky got it right in '17 by getting a better fork and that is what finally pushed me to buy one and I don't regret it. I have gone back and forth with the suspension. At first I hated it, then I got it pretty good after a couple of tries with my local suspension guy. I felt like it was really solid for a while but then when I started to go to other tracks later that year, I changed my mind again. So after Lorettas, my bike is getting serviced in hopes to make it a little more plush initially, then a better transition through the mid-stroke. To me, the AER stuff isn't bad but it's not great. But again, it's preference, it's where you ride, riding style etc.

Some guys (not you, just a general statement) get so bent out of shape when someone disagrees. I have gone back and forth on the AER, depending on where I've ridden, some days I love it, other days it isn't great. But that's me. I can see how some guys wouldn't like it and others love it. SO many things factor in. I'd for sure buy a TC/SX 250, so by all means I'm not knocking them. Great bike. Like you said the last 2 gens really stepped up and on paper it blows away the Yamaha. But I hop on the YZs and it just feels more at home.
While I personally think the KTM/Husky is clearly better, I can totally see someone being more comfy on the YZ.

I had spent more money in the past getting YZ suspension to feel comfy than I spent on the KTM suspension (I didn't need springs on the YZ either, I needed a rear spring on the KTM).
Tuna
7/29/2020 7:55am
mx_563 wrote:
Kayaba SSS Suspension [img]https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/774/c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg[/img]
Kayaba SSS Suspension

seth505 wrote:
This isn't 2006.
Kyle978 wrote:
Stole the words out of my mouth. Don’t listen to the idiots who send their WP suspension off for all sorts of reinventing the wheel. Stock...
Stole the words out of my mouth.

Don’t listen to the idiots who send their WP suspension off for all sorts of reinventing the wheel. Stock AER is fine for anything other than AMA Supercross. And if you want to send it off, send it to a place like Enzo that won’t force hundreds or thousands of dollars in parts. It’s completely unnecessary.

Yamaha’s engines are the same since 02, and chassis the same since 2006. Lots has changed in the last 15-20 years, believe it or not.

KTM moved past Yamaha in the 2-Stroke department in 2012 when they added linkage. Since then, each generation has gotten better and better.
No way. The Aer is pretty good but stock to stock the KYB has way better front end feel, traction and comfort. I rode a new 21 and the Aer is the best it’s ever been. The Aer fork shouldn’t hold anyone back but I would never leave it stock. You can improve it for not a lot of cash.
Tuna
7/29/2020 7:57am
pete24 wrote:
i have had 25 new yz250s from 87-16 i consider myself a yamaha guy and i had plenty of the Al framed ones had 06 07...
i have had 25 new yz250s from 87-16 i consider myself a yamaha guy and i had plenty of the Al framed ones had
in the current state that unit is in, ive raced them in every class from novice to expert to vet to over the hill (55+)

hands down boys and girls, its better than the YZ and if yamaha dont do something about that bike they should just stop making them its an embarassment
Actually not everyone has the money for a brand new KTM. And some people enjoy having a bike like the YZ250 or 125 because there are...
Actually not everyone has the money for a brand new KTM. And some people enjoy having a bike like the YZ250 or 125 because there are so many interchangeable parts and the market for aftermarket parts is huge! So many used parts and stuff.

I don’t see why people like you get on here saying how they should stop making them ect. Just because YOU enjoyed it so much. It reminds me of someone who buys the KTM Factory Edition and tells everyone that they should buy it and that if you buy any other bike it’s an embarrassment blah blah blah.

I love how I can buy a couple years old YZ250, or shit, 10 year old yz250, and it’s not much different than the newest one! Cool
My buddy smoked all the new fancy KTM and Huskys on his YZ250X in plus 40 pro HS last weekend. Crazy that a 15 year old bike can still be so much of a threat.
mx_563
7/29/2020 8:22am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2020 8:23am
Is Yamaha trying to compete with KTM or are they just (successfully) catering to a particular demographic? Seems to me they wouldn't still be offering a YZ250 if it wasn't profitable. All of these YZ vs KTM threads seem to go like this:

Y: I like my Yamaha
K: But the KTM is better
Y: Eh, I like my Yamaha
K: Less vibration!!!
Y: Yeah I know, I still like my Yamaha
K: Less weight!
Y: Mmmm....Yamaha
K: Modern Chassis!!!!
Y: Whatevs, I like my Yamaha.

I feel like most people, Yamaha owners included, can appreciate the KTMs superlatives. It just doesn't matter to them.

The debate reminds me of BMW owners vs. everyone else. We have rear wheel drive, power and sophistication, we have the ultimate driving machine, we have PERFOMANCE!.
Meanwhile many people still prefer simple little Mazda MX-5s, or rudimentary muscle cars, FWD Golf GTI's, etc etc....

Personally, I like them both, but haven't found an economical way to step into a 250sx so I'll happily keep trucking along with the blue bike. It's fine.

Tuna
7/29/2020 10:31am
mx_563 wrote:
Is Yamaha trying to compete with KTM or are they just (successfully) catering to a particular demographic? Seems to me they wouldn't still be offering a...
Is Yamaha trying to compete with KTM or are they just (successfully) catering to a particular demographic? Seems to me they wouldn't still be offering a YZ250 if it wasn't profitable. All of these YZ vs KTM threads seem to go like this:

Y: I like my Yamaha
K: But the KTM is better
Y: Eh, I like my Yamaha
K: Less vibration!!!
Y: Yeah I know, I still like my Yamaha
K: Less weight!
Y: Mmmm....Yamaha
K: Modern Chassis!!!!
Y: Whatevs, I like my Yamaha.

I feel like most people, Yamaha owners included, can appreciate the KTMs superlatives. It just doesn't matter to them.

The debate reminds me of BMW owners vs. everyone else. We have rear wheel drive, power and sophistication, we have the ultimate driving machine, we have PERFOMANCE!.
Meanwhile many people still prefer simple little Mazda MX-5s, or rudimentary muscle cars, FWD Golf GTI's, etc etc....

Personally, I like them both, but haven't found an economical way to step into a 250sx so I'll happily keep trucking along with the blue bike. It's fine.

Yamaha is laughing all the way to the bank. They are still selling a 15 year old bike, not having to put much money into development and the platform is still competitive. I don’t think the YZ250 is a better bike than the KTM/Husky but you have to give props to Yamaha for producing a bike designed so long ago that performs as well as it does. I have a fair amount of friends that switched from KTM to Yamaha 2 strokes and had zero regrets. I was a long time YZ250 and 125 owner, love the platforms myself but I’m on the Husky 300 TPi wagon now as it better suits my needs for more technical woods riding/racing. Having said that I also have a YZ250FX and love the bike, have no interest in any other 4 stroke.
Tuna
7/29/2020 10:32am
pete24 wrote:

Actually not everyone has the money for a brand new KTM. And some people enjoy having a bike like the YZ250 or 125 because there are...

Tuna wrote:
My buddy smoked all the new fancy KTM and Huskys on his YZ250X in plus 40 pro HS last weekend. Crazy that a 15 year old...
My buddy smoked all the new fancy KTM and Huskys on his YZ250X in plus 40 pro HS last weekend. Crazy that a 15 year old bike can still be so much of a threat.
Guess the truth hurts to the guy who downvoted the comment😎
Tuna
7/29/2020 10:34am
Also, some people can not justify or afford the extra dough for the Euro bikes and the Yamaha meets their needs.
mx_563
7/29/2020 11:03am
I'm trying to think of another dirt bike design that went unchanged this long, while maintaining profitability and being so well liked. The XR600 perhaps? It doesn't happen often.
Alex.434
7/29/2020 11:26am
Alex.434 wrote:
2017+ generation TC250 and 250SXs are awesome. Huge step forward from the 2013 platform (which Seth505 and I both had.. and now have current gen) I've...
2017+ generation TC250 and 250SXs are awesome. Huge step forward from the 2013 platform (which Seth505 and I both had.. and now have current gen)

I've ridden the SSS stuff plenty. It's nice, but this idea that is SO MUCH BETTER than AER 48s / WP shock is absurd. The AER48s were a damn nice upgrade from my 2013 CC forks (which were done up by my buds at WP USA) and as such I've left my AER48s bone-stock.

AH387 wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you said. I guess 1 thing I need to point out, in saying that I prefer the Yamahas is...
I agree with a lot of what you said. I guess 1 thing I need to point out, in saying that I prefer the Yamahas is I also have a Husky 350. I waited until Husky got it right in '17 by getting a better fork and that is what finally pushed me to buy one and I don't regret it. I have gone back and forth with the suspension. At first I hated it, then I got it pretty good after a couple of tries with my local suspension guy. I felt like it was really solid for a while but then when I started to go to other tracks later that year, I changed my mind again. So after Lorettas, my bike is getting serviced in hopes to make it a little more plush initially, then a better transition through the mid-stroke. To me, the AER stuff isn't bad but it's not great. But again, it's preference, it's where you ride, riding style etc.

Some guys (not you, just a general statement) get so bent out of shape when someone disagrees. I have gone back and forth on the AER, depending on where I've ridden, some days I love it, other days it isn't great. But that's me. I can see how some guys wouldn't like it and others love it. SO many things factor in. I'd for sure buy a TC/SX 250, so by all means I'm not knocking them. Great bike. Like you said the last 2 gens really stepped up and on paper it blows away the Yamaha. But I hop on the YZs and it just feels more at home.
I'd just like to highlight a seemingly rare occurrence. We see here a great example of providing a differing opinion, on an online forum, without acting like a child.

I thank you for your well-written, respectful opinion. Smile
AH387
7/29/2020 11:34am
Alex.434 wrote:
I'd just like to highlight a seemingly rare occurrence. We see here a great example of providing a differing opinion, on an online forum, without acting...
I'd just like to highlight a seemingly rare occurrence. We see here a great example of providing a differing opinion, on an online forum, without acting like a child.

I thank you for your well-written, respectful opinion. Smile
Lol thank you, sir.
JMX82
7/29/2020 11:46am
mx_563 wrote:
I'm trying to think of another dirt bike design that went unchanged this long, while maintaining profitability and being so well liked. The XR600 perhaps? It...
I'm trying to think of another dirt bike design that went unchanged this long, while maintaining profitability and being so well liked. The XR600 perhaps? It doesn't happen often.
KX500 and CR500
AH387
7/29/2020 1:03pm
Came across this post as I'm thinking about purchasing a YZ250. Yamaha has been spending their efforts on:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Yamahas-New-Interesting-e-MTB-is-Here,3781
I was just reading up about them. I think I'm going to get one. Been debating for a while. Tried the Specialized and liked it, but that one might be what I end up getting.

I would like to see Yamaha give the 2strokes some love, don't get me wrong, but cool to see them get into the eMTB market, considering it is getting bigger with GNCCs and whatnot.
Evoracer
7/29/2020 1:08pm
Came across this post as I'm thinking about purchasing a YZ250. Yamaha has been spending their efforts on:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Yamahas-New-Interesting-e-MTB-is-Here,3781
AH387 wrote:
I was just reading up about them. I think I'm going to get one. Been debating for a while. Tried the Specialized and liked it, but...
I was just reading up about them. I think I'm going to get one. Been debating for a while. Tried the Specialized and liked it, but that one might be what I end up getting.

I would like to see Yamaha give the 2strokes some love, don't get me wrong, but cool to see them get into the eMTB market, considering it is getting bigger with GNCCs and whatnot.
I ran across a guy on the trail just the other day with his e-bike, battery dead, he was suffering while pedaling a 40+lb bike. Food for thought.
AH387
7/29/2020 1:19pm
Evoracer wrote:
I ran across a guy on the trail just the other day with his e-bike, battery dead, he was suffering while pedaling a 40+lb bike. Food...
I ran across a guy on the trail just the other day with his e-bike, battery dead, he was suffering while pedaling a 40+lb bike. Food for thought.
Fair point lol. I am not sure if I am too worried about it but it is worth considering. I'm buddies with the guys who race for Gear Cycles for GNCCs, so they get me hyped up for eMTB. I really want one, but just not sure if I want to sell my normal bike to make the investment. If the non-Pro model is around 4grand, I'd really consider it though.

Post a reply to: KTM 250sx

The Latest