Justin Hill to JGR Factory Suzuki, 2 year deal

Related:
Create New Tag

8/22/2017 6:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2017 6:41 PM

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. On the better-late-than-never PulpMX Budds Creek Review podcast this afternoon, Matthes broke the news that JGR Factory Suzuki is signing Justin Hill to a two year deal, riding a 250 for 2018 and a 450 in 2019.

Don't think many people saw this one coming; I know I didn't. Like they mentioned on the podcast; seems a little surprising Hill would want to defend the 250 regional SX title on the long-in-the-tooth '18 RMZ250, especially since an all new 250 is coming in 2019, when he switches to a 450. Also to Steve's point; pretty crazy that JGR is willing to commit to giving Hill a 450 ride 2 years from now; especially given Hill's less than inspiring effort in the Nationals this year.

Hang onto your sprocket bolts gentlemen.. The Silly Season is upon us...

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

8/22/2017 6:44 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. On the better-late-than-never PulpMX Budds Creek Review podcast this afternoon, Matthes broke the news that JGR Factory Suzuki is signing Justin Hill to a two year deal, riding a 250 for 2018 and a 450 in 2019.

Don't think many people saw this one coming; I know I didn't. Like they mentioned on the podcast; seems a little surprising Hill would want to defend the 250 regional SX title on the long-in-the-tooth '18 RMZ250, especially since an all new 250 is coming in 2019, when he switches to a 450. Also to Steve's point; pretty crazy that JGR is willing to commit to giving Hill a 450 ride 2 years from now; especially given Hill's less than inspiring effort in the Nationals this year.

Hang onto your sprocket bolts gentlemen.. The Silly Season is upon us...

What a misguided decision

|

8/22/2017 6:48 PM

JGR said 4 250s in supercross and only 2 outdoors, maybe hill is supercross only. That would make sense.

|

8/22/2017 6:54 PM

es337 wrote:

JGR said 4 250s in supercross and only 2 outdoors, maybe hill is supercross only. That would make sense.

It sounds like it definitely is not SX only; however it did sound like JGR is keeping the team/line up pretty fluid and subject to change depending on which riders seem the most promising going into each outdoor season..

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

8/22/2017 7:07 PM

Hey pretty cool that JGR will have a number one plate bike under their tent.

|

8/22/2017 7:10 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

Hey pretty cool that JGR will have a number one plate bike under their tent.

Never even thought of that. Bet that came with a pretty price tag.

|

8/22/2017 7:16 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

Hey pretty cool that JGR will have a number one plate bike under their tent.

This had to of been a really appealing aspect, plus it sounds like they really like his odds of defending the title. Sounding more and more like a strategic gamble at bolstering the 250 team's street cred as they begin putting more emphasis on developing an amateur program like Team Green, Orange Brigade etc

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

8/22/2017 7:29 PM

Brilliant move to have Hill for Supercross with the #1 Plate and lock him up for the following year for his Supercross 450 potential.
Who cares if he doesn't do outdoors?
Photo

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

8/22/2017 7:33 PM

So JGR 250s will be :
Hill
Matt B
Phil (I heard he's getting another chance)
4th rider?
And 450s
Phil 450s?
Bogle?
Peick is back correct?
Man I'm lost

|

8/22/2017 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2017 7:37 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

Hey pretty cool that JGR will have a number one plate bike under their tent.

F150Motocrosser wrote:

This had to of been a really appealing aspect, plus it sounds like they really like his odds of defending the title. Sounding more and more like a strategic gamble at bolstering the 250 team's street cred as they begin putting more emphasis on developing an amateur program like Team Green, Orange Brigade etc

As confusing of a move I thought this was when opening this thread (w/ his recent outdoors showing), you guys bring up points I hadn't thought of. Seems like a good move.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!





8/22/2017 7:38 PM

I would think Kyle Cunningham has earned a chance to come back next year. Unless Harrison is not on a yamaha and they want a younger guy.

|

8/22/2017 7:50 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. On the better-late-than-never PulpMX Budds Creek Review podcast this afternoon, Matthes broke the news that JGR Factory Suzuki is signing Justin Hill to a two year deal, riding a 250 for 2018 and a 450 in 2019.

Don't think many people saw this one coming; I know I didn't. Like they mentioned on the podcast; seems a little surprising Hill would want to defend the 250 regional SX title on the long-in-the-tooth '18 RMZ250, especially since an all new 250 is coming in 2019, when he switches to a 450. Also to Steve's point; pretty crazy that JGR is willing to commit to giving Hill a 450 ride 2 years from now; especially given Hill's less than inspiring effort in the Nationals this year.

Hang onto your sprocket bolts gentlemen.. The Silly Season is upon us...

Sodipop wrote:

What a misguided decision

Dumb post of the day. Hill limited his risk by taking a 250F ride in 2018 and 450F ride in 2019. How many 450 rides are there?

|

bd

8/22/2017 8:00 PM

Super smart move.
#1 will look good on the Suzuki.
When Hill wants to win, he can.
Forget the Nationals, he can kick ass in 450 SX and that will pay the bills.
He can keep Monster at JGR for his helmet.
The bike will be good, the GP RMZ250 is strong.
Suzuki will get the number one plate for all the fans to see, $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Suzuki wants to rebuild the 250 program, and to prove it they just wrote a huge check.
Brilliant!

|

8/22/2017 8:04 PM

It's been talked about for the last week, but yeah... it's official now.

|

8/22/2017 8:06 PM

From Hill's perspective you have to look at the path moving to 450s. If the rules didn't change this year, he would have been screwed next year because there was no path forward with Kawasaki. Eli and most likely Grant are the team going forward in 2018.

Even staying at Kawi next year with Pro Circuit (which would be a 1 year deal) and then having no direct step to the 450 team is a gamble. Eli is locked in at Kawi through 19. And Kawasaki hasn't exactly matriculated their 250 guys up to the Factory Team recently. Guys like Baggett/Wilson/Tickle/Pourcell have all won Kawasaki 250 titles and were not moved to the factory Team. The last 2 250 champs that were moved up were Weimer (2011) and Villopoto (2009).

I would see Savatgy or Cianciarulo being the next guy along side Tomac. With Forkner coming in once Tomac retires.

|

8/22/2017 8:11 PM

Pumped for Hill, thats awesome

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

8/22/2017 8:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2017 8:29 PM

KirkChandler wrote:

From Hill's perspective you have to look at the path moving to 450s. If the rules didn't change this year, he would have been screwed next year because there was no path forward with Kawasaki. Eli and most likely Grant are the team going forward in 2018.

Even staying at Kawi next year with Pro Circuit (which would be a 1 year deal) and then having no direct step to the 450 team is a gamble. Eli is locked in at Kawi through 19. And Kawasaki hasn't exactly matriculated their 250 guys up to the Factory Team recently. Guys like Baggett/Wilson/Tickle/Pourcell have all won Kawasaki 250 titles and were not moved to the factory Team. The last 2 250 champs that were moved up were Weimer (2011) and Villopoto (2009).

I would see Savatgy or Cianciarulo being the next guy along side Tomac. With Forkner coming in once Tomac retires.

,

|

8/22/2017 8:30 PM

Jg33 for 2018,

|

8/22/2017 8:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2017 8:40 PM

The scary thing about this is how much of a precedent is being set for SX only skills/desire. You can blow balls at 250MX and earn a factory 450 ride 2 years from now. This whole 250 outdoor champ scratching for a 450 paycheck is going to become all too common. Getting a 450 deal is becoming a big factor in 250 deals. These guys are scared to be out of a job, for good reason.

|

8/22/2017 9:01 PM

tcallahan707 wrote:

The scary thing about this is how much of a precedent is being set for SX only skills/desire. You can blow balls at 250MX and earn a factory 450 ride 2 years from now. This whole 250 outdoor champ scratching for a 450 paycheck is going to become all too common. Getting a 450 deal is becoming a big factor in 250 deals. These guys are scared to be out of a job, for good reason.

We have no idea what may be causing his results from this years outdoors, but just a year ago he went 5, 4 in his first two races back in the middle of the season. I don't think that would be considered "blowing balls". He obviously has skills and potential, as well as a title, so I don't think it's that scary at all.

|

8/22/2017 11:03 PM

tcallahan707 wrote:

The scary thing about this is how much of a precedent is being set for SX only skills/desire. You can blow balls at 250MX and earn a factory 450 ride 2 years from now. This whole 250 outdoor champ scratching for a 450 paycheck is going to become all too common. Getting a 450 deal is becoming a big factor in 250 deals. These guys are scared to be out of a job, for good reason.

I agree. It's sad in my opinion..

|

Did i do that?

8/23/2017 12:18 AM

Well at least JGR will have a No1 plate... cant see another good reason . If he is SX only, they are hiring him to do 2 hours work. Stupid

|

8/23/2017 12:26 AM

So pumped for this, hope he does well. Really like what JGR and suzuki have planned

|

8/23/2017 3:05 AM

Hill on the Suzuki, cool move! Sure wish he was in the 450 class come Anaheim though.

|

8/23/2017 4:34 AM

Yet another career to be ruined by JGR

|

8/23/2017 5:05 AM

RonJon wrote:

Yet another career to be ruined by JGR

Oh really what was hills trajectory without jgr? Full time insta rider with his brother and axell?

|

8/23/2017 5:14 AM

jorgechavez wrote:

Hey pretty cool that JGR will have a number one plate bike under their tent.

Who says he will even run the #1 plate? We might just run his 35.

Personally I am all for the AMA/MX Sports/FIM/Youthstream going back to riders using their earned number like MX/SX did for decades. The permanent number thing sucks, hasn't worked, and will never work like they hoped it would.

|

8/23/2017 5:15 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Brilliant move to have Hill for Supercross with the #1 Plate and lock him up for the following year for his Supercross 450 potential.
Who cares if he doesn't do outdoors?
Photo

Let me give you a list:

(1.) 99.99% of the industry sponsors
(2.) Fans

|

8/23/2017 5:38 AM

RonJon wrote:

Yet another career to be ruined by JGR

Vital positivity at its finest laughing

|

8/23/2017 5:53 AM

This will never pan out for a Positive for anyone I am afraid.

|