Justin Hill - Its Definitely NOT The Bike Right?

Superdave19
1/17/2018 3:27pm
If I were Justin I’d be happy as punch I signed w/JGR.. Otherwise he’d have no excuse if he was riding for Mitch. If he can finish with a win or two, or at least in the top 4 overall, he’ll be ok. I think he rides a 450 much better.
Cool kid, very well spoken. He’ll figure it out.
mb60
1/17/2018 3:30pm
I find it so hard to believe that JGR hired these 4 riders to ride for them. Maybe all on a one year deal and can start over next year on a new bike. They bought a # 1 plate in Hill and fully understood his past besides last year. Peters, Philthy and Decotis I have no clue.
Turbojez
1/17/2018 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 3:38pm
The age of the platform has to be a factor. How similar is the 2018 to the bike Dungey won on in 2009? Did they add...
The age of the platform has to be a factor. How similar is the 2018 to the bike Dungey won on in 2009? Did they add fuel injection? Motor tweaks? Suspension tweaks? Chassis has been the same forever.

In other eras of this sport a bike that is 5-7 or even 9 years old would be laughed at. Show up in 1985 on a 1979 platform bike. Or in 1989 on a 1985. Or in 1995 on a 1989. You would be smoked and there would be no question about why.

Justin signed the deal looking forward to the 450 class in year 2.
It's a completely different bike than the 07-09 models.
This model was first released in 2010. Still an 8 year old platform. Damn!

On the other hand, nothing is stock on the bike Hill rides. I'm sure it's not down on horsepower in comparison to other race teams, suspension is a complete opposite of stock and the chassis is very good on those bikes. Especially for SX as it's the king of turns (sacrificing some of the high speed stability).

I don't think it's the bike.
1/17/2018 4:04pm
For you guys saying the bike is the same as Dungey's in '09, you're clueless. The bike has seen changes over the years and just a couple years ago they changed 80-something parts in the engine. Plastic has been the same since 2010 though. It's not the engine that's causing his poor results. I'd agree that his setup looks off, but he's just not riding like he was last year either.

The Shop

malachi177
1/17/2018 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 4:21pm
The age of the platform has to be a factor. How similar is the 2018 to the bike Dungey won on in 2009? Did they add...
The age of the platform has to be a factor. How similar is the 2018 to the bike Dungey won on in 2009? Did they add fuel injection? Motor tweaks? Suspension tweaks? Chassis has been the same forever.

In other eras of this sport a bike that is 5-7 or even 9 years old would be laughed at. Show up in 1985 on a 1979 platform bike. Or in 1989 on a 1985. Or in 1995 on a 1989. You would be smoked and there would be no question about why.

Justin signed the deal looking forward to the 450 class in year 2.
New engine (over 80 changes) in 2016 and frame mods as well. They went to the pos air fork which was a bad idea. The plastics are the same as the 2010. Seewer and Lawrence showed well on the bike last year.

It's a full factory bike, lacking in power? .Laughing I think the issue is bike set up.

Edit: Sorry squirllings, didn't see you post until after I commented.
Camp332
1/17/2018 5:06pm
Bro, I didnt read all 5 pages, but I will confirm that bike is a shithole bro.
Dr. Seuss
1/17/2018 5:17pm
25% him, 25% bike, 50% O'Neal gear. Gotta look good to feel good and O'Neal is Ed Hardy of motocross
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/17/2018 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 6:36pm
For you guys saying the bike is the same as Dungey's in '09, you're clueless. The bike has seen changes over the years and just a...
For you guys saying the bike is the same as Dungey's in '09, you're clueless. The bike has seen changes over the years and just a couple years ago they changed 80-something parts in the engine. Plastic has been the same since 2010 though. It's not the engine that's causing his poor results. I'd agree that his setup looks off, but he's just not riding like he was last year either.
Those "80-something parts" (it was actually more than that) was in 2016 (15 when it came out)...those engine changes made for less than a half a horsepower difference at best...

Just pointing that part out...yes, it's way behind in the power department in stock trim.

From my understanding, the Showa technician that's involved with the 450 side built some new stuff for Hill to try this week, we'll see if a new set of hands and setup will help out this weekend.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
1/17/2018 7:59pm
For you guys saying the bike is the same as Dungey's in '09, you're clueless. The bike has seen changes over the years and just a...
I was just asking how similar it was. I'm not an expert on RMZ250 development. Obviously there have been tweeks over the years. (Suspension and EFI etc.)

It looks the same from the outside, most bikes don't keep the same plastic and chassis look for 9 seasons.
colonel
1/17/2018 9:00pm
Next time maybe Hill wont hold out for a big money deal and land up with it backfiring and having to take whatever he can get like now again.
SoCalMX70
1/17/2018 9:21pm
colonel wrote:
Next time maybe Hill wont hold out for a big money deal and land up with it backfiring and having to take whatever he can get...
Next time maybe Hill wont hold out for a big money deal and land up with it backfiring and having to take whatever he can get like now again.
Nah, take the money. Every time. Especially in this sport.

Also, you have no idea of what you're talking about.
colonel
1/17/2018 10:01pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:

By that post it seems neither do you in any of those comments.
BigDaddyG
1/17/2018 10:05pm
I’m sure JGR has that bike dialed lower wise and it’s no turd. Hopefully what ML512 mentioned about suspension testing this week really helps him out.
Justin is a much better 450 rider and will surprise a shit ton of people when he moves up. He’s probably one of the top 5 most naturally talented riders out of both classes but injuries have held him back a bit. But wait till he hops on that 450..... just wait
toomanykaws
1/17/2018 11:19pm
Few years back at the Monstercup he sure was hauling ass on the KTM 450.
Fearo
1/18/2018 12:45am
Motofinne wrote:
The fact that some of you are using 450 RMZ results as "evidence" that the 250 is not a problem is saying a lot about your...
The fact that some of you are using 450 RMZ results as "evidence" that the 250 is not a problem is saying a lot about your knowledge.

I'm not saying that it's 100% the bikes fault. But he had an uphill battle from day one because of that bike.

*i'm not a Hill fan
I agree, what on earth does the 450 have to do with the 250..?

I say it's a combination of rider and bike not performing. Setup looks weird, but I also have the feeling he has to work twice as hard getting over every obstacle right after a corner. I see him seatbouncing super hard, or even simply not doing the fastest rhythm. That tells me something is off with the bike, because the talent is there.

How much heavier is the Suzuki than the KTMs? how much is it down on HP?
I realize JGR have unlimited resources, but so do KTM. How do you to take the slowest and heaviest bike in stock trim and expect to compete for a championship?
Turbojez
1/18/2018 1:47am
Motofinne wrote:
The fact that some of you are using 450 RMZ results as "evidence" that the 250 is not a problem is saying a lot about your...
The fact that some of you are using 450 RMZ results as "evidence" that the 250 is not a problem is saying a lot about your knowledge.

I'm not saying that it's 100% the bikes fault. But he had an uphill battle from day one because of that bike.

*i'm not a Hill fan
Fearo wrote:
I agree, what on earth does the 450 have to do with the 250..? I say it's a combination of rider and bike not performing. Setup...

I say it's a combination of rider and bike not performing. Setup looks weird, but I also have the feeling he has to work twice as hard getting over every obstacle right after a corner. I see him seatbouncing super hard, or even simply not doing the fastest rhythm. That tells me something is off with the bike, because the talent is there.

I realize JGR have unlimited resources, but so do KTM. How do you to take the slowest and heaviest bike in stock trim and expect to compete for a championship?
Previous gen RMZ 450 does have something to do with the topic on hand actually, the analogy is quite funny:

A lot of people here blame the bike for Hill's piss poor performance.
Not too long ago almost everyone on Vital was stating that RMZ 450 is unrideable, heavy and slow - just like the 250 is now.
That bullshit stopped when KR won the outdoors on one of those heavy, slow bananas.

At the time Dungey made the move to KTM, the bike was supposedly a complete POS. Did you see Dunge cruising around 10th place at ANY race, because his bike was not good enough to put up a fight?

1. The problem with the bike is either the guy on top of it or the setup.
2. If the bike setup is off - it's still on the rider in my opinion.
3. Factory bikes are as far from stock as they can be. Not much point in comparing to stock specs.
aees
1/18/2018 2:06am
Motofinne wrote:

*i'm not a Hill fan
Fearo wrote:
I agree, what on earth does the 450 have to do with the 250..? I say it's a combination of rider and bike not performing. Setup...

Turbojez wrote:
Previous gen RMZ 450 does have something to do with the topic on hand actually, the analogy is quite funny: A lot of people here blame...
Previous gen RMZ 450 does have something to do with the topic on hand actually, the analogy is quite funny:

Not too long ago almost everyone on Vital was stating that RMZ 450 is unrideable, heavy and slow - just like the 250 is now.
That bullshit stopped when KR won the outdoors on one of those heavy, slow bananas.

At the time Dungey made the move to KTM, the bike was supposedly a complete POS. Did you see Dunge cruising around 10th place at ANY race, because his bike was not good enough to put up a fight?

3. Factory bikes are as far from stock as they can be. Not much point in comparing to stock specs.
You are mixing apples and pears. When Dungey moved to KTM, the 2012 generation was not good, POS is maybe to harsh. The 2013 generation (or 2012.5) that Dungey demanded to be developed, and was large part of developing, was not POS. Neither 250, 350 or 450 generation. Especially the factory versions with CV52 and Trax shock. Completely new from ground up.

A bit like TM is now, or old Husky platform. Thats where KTM was with 2012 generation.

There are some different scenarios you need to consider when you determine if a bike is shit or not:

1. The bike is shit, because it is so off. Plenty of examples in the history. Suzuki 450 2013-18 does not qualify there
2. Bike vs rider. Bike does not fit the rider. So for that specific rider, it is the bike (semantics).
3. Bike setup. Lack of testing, time or whatever. Roczen 2016 on Suzuki was shit, before he switched triple clamps and started winning. Same with Tomac 2017, setup issues.

Non of the bikes from the big vendors today qualify for the POS. However, the 2 other topics are still relevant and depending on sematics and who is talking for sure you can say it is the bike, as much as it is the rider.

Hill, it is not clear yet if it is a bad match that is not fixable within factory program (like Barcia on JGR Yami), or if it is just a setup issue like Roczen 2016 and Tomac 2017.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
1/18/2018 4:13am
Fearo wrote:

Turbojez wrote:
Previous gen RMZ 450 does have something to do with the topic on hand actually, the analogy is quite funny: A lot of people here blame...

aees wrote:
You are mixing apples and pears. When Dungey moved to KTM, the 2012 generation was not good, POS is maybe to harsh. The 2013 generation (or...
You are mixing apples and pears. When Dungey moved to KTM, the 2012 generation was not good, POS is maybe to harsh. The 2013 generation (or 2012.5) that Dungey demanded to be developed, and was large part of developing, was not POS. Neither 250, 350 or 450 generation. Especially the factory versions with CV52 and Trax shock. Completely new from ground up.

A bit like TM is now, or old Husky platform. Thats where KTM was with 2012 generation.

There are some different scenarios you need to consider when you determine if a bike is shit or not:

1. The bike is shit, because it is so off. Plenty of examples in the history. Suzuki 450 2013-18 does not qualify there
2. Bike vs rider. Bike does not fit the rider. So for that specific rider, it is the bike (semantics).
3. Bike setup. Lack of testing, time or whatever. Roczen 2016 on Suzuki was shit, before he switched triple clamps and started winning. Same with Tomac 2017, setup issues.

Non of the bikes from the big vendors today qualify for the POS. However, the 2 other topics are still relevant and depending on sematics and who is talking for sure you can say it is the bike, as much as it is the rider.

Hill, it is not clear yet if it is a bad match that is not fixable within factory program (like Barcia on JGR Yami), or if it is just a setup issue like Roczen 2016 and Tomac 2017.
Its mainly a power issue, an issue that you would think that JGR would be able to solve. But engineering and testing a downdraft head, air boot/box/large air intake to match plus a double injector system, shaving pounds off the bottom end, piston and valve train, Ensuring the oil pathways flow enough oil with the increased heat/power, the cooling system?

This is just too much to solve. The RMZ250 platform would be competitive with the 2012 YZ250f. Since then Yamaha developed the new engine, smoked the competition, then the competition, all baring Suzuki caught back up.

Justin Hill has skills, on the level really of maybe a Seely in the 250s on his best day, not the elite of the elite as Tomac, Roczen and Dungey are. Bassically put him on a Star Yamaha and he would jump 5 places. He's a great rider but not someone who can transend a shit bike and win .
Turbojez
1/18/2018 4:28am
aees wrote:
You are mixing apples and pears. When Dungey moved to KTM, the 2012 generation was not good, POS is maybe to harsh. The 2013 generation (or...

You must be right about some riders just not gelling with some particular bikes.

Still, I think a comparison to Dungey's 2012 season, when KTM was considered a sub par equipment is pretty accurate and says a lot on the subject of man vs machine factor.

I am aware, that comparing Hill to Dungey is not appropriate... but it shows, that a decent rider on a less than decent machinery still comes out on top, or somewhere close to the top anyway!

aees
1/18/2018 4:36am
aees wrote:

Turbojez wrote:
You must be right about some riders just not gelling with some particular bikes. Still, I think a comparison to Dungey's 2012 season, when KTM was...
You must be right about some riders just not gelling with some particular bikes.

Still, I think a comparison to Dungey's 2012 season, when KTM was considered a sub par equipment is pretty accurate and says a lot on the subject of man vs machine factor.

I am aware, that comparing Hill to Dungey is not appropriate... but it shows, that a decent rider on a less than decent machinery still comes out on top, or somewhere close to the top anyway!

Sorry i dont understand. Dungey was not riding the "old" KTM, never have. He has only ridden the new 2013 (2012.5, released for him to race first time at A1 2013). Before that he was on Suzuki...
aees
1/18/2018 5:07am
It has little to do with power i think. It is about bike setup. Phil even stated so in pulp show. They setup the suspension to stiff, basically it works great on a smooth practice track with no ruts or bumps. That is why he can go fast in practice but not when track break down. Tomac had the same problem last year.

2015 Honda 250 was down 5hp to stock KTM 250. Did not stop Barcia and Tomac from dominating. Suzuki was down 3hp at that time. Today Suzuki are down ~4hp to stock KTM.

2017 250 Honda and Suzuki made equal amount of power stock, did not hear people stating Honda was slow?

So if Honda could catch up 5hp in 2015 (+ factory optimization add-on), on that old slow 250 platform (which Suzuki was more powerful then), Suzuki can catch up 4hp today (+ factory optimization add-on).
90smoto
1/18/2018 5:12am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 5:16am
colonel wrote:
Next time maybe Hill wont hold out for a big money deal and land up with it backfiring and having to take whatever he can get...
SoCalMX70 wrote:

I'd say your the one that doesn't know what there talking about. Ask Brian Swink how that worked out for him by leaving Pro Circuit for Suzuki just cause of the big money contract they offered him. The bike was a pile of shit and Brian's career never turned out like it would of had he stayed with Mitch. Brian will be the first to tell you that was the biggest mistake of his life.
Turbojez
1/18/2018 5:14am
aees wrote:
Sorry i dont understand. Dungey was not riding the "old" KTM, never have. He has only ridden the new 2013 (2012.5, released for him to race...
Sorry i dont understand. Dungey was not riding the "old" KTM, never have. He has only ridden the new 2013 (2012.5, released for him to race first time at A1 2013). Before that he was on Suzuki...
You are mistaken. 2011 was Dungey's last year on the Zook.
Here's 2012:

Motofinne
1/18/2018 5:19am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 5:37am
The factory GP team with NO RULES could NOT make enough power for Seewer to compete with the other factory bikes. And keep in mind that Lawrence rode on a worse bike compared to the one Seewer was on. They focused A LOT of resources on Seewers bike.

How difficult is that to understand? How is JGR/Yoshimura supposed to make it competitive within the production rules in US racing? To just say that "power is not a problem for JGR, they know how to make powerful engine packages" is just ignorant. JGR could make a too powerful YZF 450 according to some rumors,the 450 was too much to handle for some riders. But i'm pretty sure the factory Suzuki GP team is also capable of finding HP, they obviously couldn't make it happen with the current RMZ 250. What makes you think JGR can?

Now, is Hills bad start on the JGR team 100% because of the bike? Of course not. But it is a part of it. I don't know how big that part is, neither does anyone else. But it is a factor.

I think he should be able to do better than this, even though the bike is behind his competitors bikes.
Turbojez
1/18/2018 5:20am
aees wrote:
It has little to do with power i think. It is about bike setup. Phil even stated so in pulp show. They setup the suspension to...
It has little to do with power i think. It is about bike setup. Phil even stated so in pulp show. They setup the suspension to stiff, basically it works great on a smooth practice track with no ruts or bumps. That is why he can go fast in practice but not when track break down. Tomac had the same problem last year.

2015 Honda 250 was down 5hp to stock KTM 250. Did not stop Barcia and Tomac from dominating. Suzuki was down 3hp at that time. Today Suzuki are down ~4hp to stock KTM.

2017 250 Honda and Suzuki made equal amount of power stock, did not hear people stating Honda was slow?

So if Honda could catch up 5hp in 2015 (+ factory optimization add-on), on that old slow 250 platform (which Suzuki was more powerful then), Suzuki can catch up 4hp today (+ factory optimization add-on).
So, setup is key. Inability to setup a bike properly - is it team's, or rider's fault? Suspension settings being so far off would explain shitty results. You can't blame it on an "old" chassis though.

I previously said I don't believe JGR RMZ's are lacking in the power dept. Quite the opposite I believe, JGR certainly knows how to build fast motors.
aees
1/18/2018 5:57am
Motofinne wrote:
The factory GP team with NO RULES could NOT make enough power for Seewer to compete with the other factory bikes. And keep in mind that...
The factory GP team with NO RULES could NOT make enough power for Seewer to compete with the other factory bikes. And keep in mind that Lawrence rode on a worse bike compared to the one Seewer was on. They focused A LOT of resources on Seewers bike.

How difficult is that to understand? How is JGR/Yoshimura supposed to make it competitive within the production rules in US racing? To just say that "power is not a problem for JGR, they know how to make powerful engine packages" is just ignorant. JGR could make a too powerful YZF 450 according to some rumors,the 450 was too much to handle for some riders. But i'm pretty sure the factory Suzuki GP team is also capable of finding HP, they obviously couldn't make it happen with the current RMZ 250. What makes you think JGR can?

Now, is Hills bad start on the JGR team 100% because of the bike? Of course not. But it is a part of it. I don't know how big that part is, neither does anyone else. But it is a factor.

I think he should be able to do better than this, even though the bike is behind his competitors bikes.
Motocross man, not supercross. Big difference in what power and top speed is needed. Supercross you can gear it down for example. No need to rev to 15.000 RPM 3rd or 4th, 5th gear.

All the starts Hill has made, he been in the top at the end of the start straight. He has been well positioned over gate at A1 but selected a poor gate on the outside so was pushed wide.

He qualified fastest, so bike has power to go around the track obviously.

Houston he had good gate drops, was well in the mix in middle of start straight again but hit a tuff block going into first corner in main. In qualification he was second after two corners.

So really, i dont see where the lack of power is currently showing itself on the track?

Sure, he will not pull a KTM or PC bike on the start, but thats not where he is loosing out either.

It is a suspension/chassi setup issue, 100%.
aees
1/18/2018 6:00am
aees wrote:
It has little to do with power i think. It is about bike setup. Phil even stated so in pulp show. They setup the suspension to...

Turbojez wrote:
So, setup is key. Inability to setup a bike properly - is it team's, or rider's fault? Suspension settings being so far off would explain shitty...
So, setup is key. Inability to setup a bike properly - is it team's, or rider's fault? Suspension settings being so far off would explain shitty results. You can't blame it on an "old" chassis though.

I previously said I don't believe JGR RMZ's are lacking in the power dept. Quite the opposite I believe, JGR certainly knows how to build fast motors.
I guess it is just bad luck, or lack of environment to test in. Roczen 2016, Tomac 2017. Same issues, exactly same issue. 100% bike setup.

Tomac felt great at Monster Cup 2016, did not touch bike settings before A1 because of that. We all know issues he had first 3 rounds.

No rider wants to train on tracks like Houston due to risks. One lap on those track maybe dont do much, specially when you are chasing 1-1.5sec without competition to compare to right then.
1/18/2018 6:05am
ML512 wrote:
Those "80-something parts" (it was actually more than that) was in 2016 (15 when it came out)...those engine changes made for less than a half a...
Those "80-something parts" (it was actually more than that) was in 2016 (15 when it came out)...those engine changes made for less than a half a horsepower difference at best...

Just pointing that part out...yes, it's way behind in the power department in stock trim.

From my understanding, the Showa technician that's involved with the 450 side built some new stuff for Hill to try this week, we'll see if a new set of hands and setup will help out this weekend.
If I remember correctly, a lot of those changes were made to improve reliability when modifying the engine. No? I'm fully aware of the bikes downfalls in stock trim. I just don't believe the engine is what's holding him back.
keinz
1/18/2018 6:43am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 6:46am
Seewer had thing or two to say about Suz 250F

Seeing as you were under contract with Suzuki, did they try to keep you on the bike somehow? There were obviously those JGR rumours, so how close did that come to happening?

It did not really come close, but I had a contract on the table to go to JGR. This is true. It was not the way that I wanted to have it. I mean, it was a good contract, but it was not my intention to stay on the 250F Suzuki any longer. I have done it the last few years and I know what we were dealing with, so I just needed something new. This is why going to America did not happen in the end. Even if I was pretty open to turn everything one hundred and eighty degrees, it obviously did not happen in the end. This is just how it was.

It was not like you were worried about doing supercross or anything like that then? It was just that you felt like you had gotten everything you can out of that 250F and are ready to move up now.

Yeah, it was the other bit of the case. Suzuki did not actually push hard to keep me, so I had no reason for that, plus you know what we have struggled with the past few years and why we lost the championship to Pauls that hard. It was clearly my decision then to say that I would not stay on a Suzuki 250F. I am ready to move on with a 450F, so everything came together really well with Wilvo.
1/18/2018 6:50am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 6:54am
Hill said himself on The MotoX Pod show that he has struggled with suspension setup at the first two races. Also spoke very highly of the engine they've developed and said it was "on par".

Post a reply to: Justin Hill - Its Definitely NOT The Bike Right?

The Latest