Justin Cooper podium interview

6/2/2019 9:07am
Judging by the quotes above (Denny's feed), Justin had it in his head he was winning the overall. Nevermind you actually need to race for it and win it. If he thinks AC running off the track had any impact on whether or not he was going to pass him, he's lying to himself. We can argue all day long about it, but anyone that actually watched the race saw that AC was pulling him and it was just a matter of time.
cbuehler767
6/2/2019 9:08am
MXD wrote:
Looks like Cooper is doubling down. I guess seeing the tape didn’t change his mind. He needs better A PR team advising him. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/02/351867/s1200_9650D470_447D_4297_AAD9_11C5C48A6A14.jpg[/img]
Looks like Cooper is doubling down. I guess seeing the tape didn’t change his mind. He needs better A PR team advising him.
Hmm. Ya I've been backing him up but I can't get on board with that. You saw the dude you just got beat dude. You crashing had nothing to do with AC going off track. Even if he said I lost concentration because of it and crashed I would kind of get it. He still wouldn't deserve the win but I'd get it. Well lets see what he's made of and if "a fire is lit underneath him."
bents
Fantasy
710th
6/2/2019 9:09am
Just watched that 2nd moto-nothing to see here. Adam didn't panic, was respectful, tried (and did) do the right thing and Cooper's crash was unrelated. He is a kid, he is pissed, and he will live to fight another day. He is a badass on a dirt bike no doubt and has a long and successful career ahead of him. AC handled it like a seasoned pro-good job on his part.
cbuehler767
6/2/2019 9:14am
Judging by the quotes above (Denny's feed), Justin had it in his head he was winning the overall. Nevermind you actually need to race for it...
Judging by the quotes above (Denny's feed), Justin had it in his head he was winning the overall. Nevermind you actually need to race for it and win it. If he thinks AC running off the track had any impact on whether or not he was going to pass him, he's lying to himself. We can argue all day long about it, but anyone that actually watched the race saw that AC was pulling him and it was just a matter of time.
Idk about that. Agree AC won and deserved to win end of story. Without the crash by Justin would he have won? I've seen Justin manage small gaps a couple motos now and shock it up when he needs to. He handled AC being on his ads the whole entire 1st moto at Hangtown

The Shop

6/2/2019 9:22am
Judging by the quotes above (Denny's feed), Justin had it in his head he was winning the overall. Nevermind you actually need to race for it...
Idk about that. Agree AC won and deserved to win end of story. Without the crash by Justin would he have won? I've seen Justin manage...
Idk about that. Agree AC won and deserved to win end of story. Without the crash by Justin would he have won? I've seen Justin manage small gaps a couple motos now and shock it up when he needs to. He handled AC being on his ads the whole entire 1st moto at Hangtown
Yup, that's another argument, that I don't necessarily disagree with. I'm just saying him pouting about AC going off the track and back on had zero impact on the outcome. Justin went off the track at a worse location and didn't save it as well as AC did. One has nothing to do with the other, in my opinion.
byke
6/2/2019 9:30am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2019 9:31am
Kinda surprised to find this thread. It's about gaining an advantage and for one second it looked like he was gaining an advantage, but AC knew it and removed his advantage, then it was all fine. If all the Star guys saw was AC pulling back on the track, then I could see them being upset, but they should have retracted their protest after they watched the video. And I watched the post-race video on RX, didn't seem like he went overboard with it. He disagrees, that's fine. Give him the week and he'll probably concede. He's just bummed right now.
cbuehler767
6/2/2019 9:37am
Yup, that's another argument, that I don't necessarily disagree with. I'm just saying him pouting about AC going off the track and back on had zero...
Yup, that's another argument, that I don't necessarily disagree with. I'm just saying him pouting about AC going off the track and back on had zero impact on the outcome. Justin went off the track at a worse location and didn't save it as well as AC did. One has nothing to do with the other, in my opinion.
Absolutely. I don't know how he still thinks he should have won after watching the vid. He needs to let it go. He's looking a little mentally weak here. He's very much in this championship and seems to be the only guy who can beat AC. Do it it the track dude
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
6/2/2019 9:38am
whammy wrote:
How is it not 'gaining an advantage' when you're accelerating on the side of the track going race pace until you get back on?
MXD wrote:
Because “gaining an advantage” is defined as gaining a position or gaining time from the point you exited the track. He did neither. He left the...
Because “gaining an advantage” is defined as gaining a position or gaining time from the point you exited the track. He did neither. He left the track in 2nd about a second back and reentered in the same position/time back.

Listen, I don’t like the rule either but it was followed.
So By your theory if a Guy was 3 seconds behind another rider and went off the Track and re entered on a completely different lane that could be a half of a lap to get to
Its ok as long as he re enters 3 seconds behind the other rider ?
Ray_MXS
6/2/2019 9:42am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2019 9:47am
GuyB wrote:
Get out of here with that weak crap.
When has ruy ever said anything intelligent
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
6/2/2019 9:43am
Im not saying Either Guy Did any thing Wrong I simply think the Rule Needs Help.
These Bikes Have Brakes.
And They should be using them in my opinion.

Again in my opinion if a rider goes off the track He should enter where he went off if possible ( which it usually is possible imo)
Meaning come to a stop 1st and if necessary
Do a uturn, if that means entering in 10th place and you where in 1st or 2nd so be it.
NateDawg
6/2/2019 9:45am
MXD wrote:
Looks like Cooper is doubling down. I guess seeing the tape didn’t change his mind. He needs better A PR team advising him. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/02/351867/s1200_9650D470_447D_4297_AAD9_11C5C48A6A14.jpg[/img]
Looks like Cooper is doubling down. I guess seeing the tape didn’t change his mind. He needs better A PR team advising him.
I guess getting one freebie in moto 1 just wasn't enough for him...

Cooper is a whiney little douchebag.
MXD
6/2/2019 9:46am
whammy wrote:
How is it not 'gaining an advantage' when you're accelerating on the side of the track going race pace until you get back on?
MXD wrote:
Because “gaining an advantage” is defined as gaining a position or gaining time from the point you exited the track. He did neither. He left the...
Because “gaining an advantage” is defined as gaining a position or gaining time from the point you exited the track. He did neither. He left the track in 2nd about a second back and reentered in the same position/time back.

Tarz483 wrote:
So By your theory if a Guy was 3 seconds behind another rider and went off the Track and re entered on a completely different lane...
So By your theory if a Guy was 3 seconds behind another rider and went off the Track and re entered on a completely different lane that could be a half of a lap to get to
You’re leaving out the whole “at the next safest spot” clause. Of course I would have a problem if he cut the entire infield and waited a half a track away. That’s ridiculous. I thought that was a given.
TheLsho
Fantasy
874th
6/2/2019 9:46am
At what point are they going to sort something out about this. Right now a huge mistake ends up being no real penalty. You can break even if you go off the track. I don't really believe that is fair to the people you are racing against. I am not sure how they fix it, because every situation is different, but when you blow off the course you should be penalized.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
6/2/2019 9:47am
My opinion has nothing to do with who i am a fan of if
It matters im a bigger fan of AC
But i have felt this way for a few years Guy make a mistake or get bumped or whatever and they just keep throttle on.
When imo the 1st thing they should be doing is hitting the brakes.
MXD
6/2/2019 9:47am
Tarz483 wrote:
Im not saying Either Guy Did any thing Wrong I simply think the Rule Needs Help. These Bikes Have Brakes. And They should be using them...
Im not saying Either Guy Did any thing Wrong I simply think the Rule Needs Help.
These Bikes Have Brakes.

Again in my opinion if a rider goes off the track He should enter where he went off if possible ( which it usually is possible imo)
Do a uturn, if that means entering in 10th place and you where in 1st or 2nd so be it.
I don’t disagree but do you agree that the way the rule is written today, AC followed it and did nothing wrong?
byke
6/2/2019 9:50am
Tarz483 wrote:
Im not saying Either Guy Did any thing Wrong I simply think the Rule Needs Help. These Bikes Have Brakes. And They should be using them...
These Bikes Have Brakes.

They've already been around the block on the topic and it's not that way because people go off the track in spots where it'd be a terrible idea to go back on, so they made the rule to try and keep it safe while making sure a rider doesn't abuse it by gaining any advantage from when they went off the track. You can argue that keeping things the same is an advantage, because there's basically no penalty for screwing up, but this is as good as they've been able to make it thus far. I haven't heard of anything better yet.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
6/2/2019 9:51am
MXD wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
So By your theory if a Guy was 3 seconds behind another rider and went off the Track and re entered on a completely different lane...
MXD wrote:
You’re leaving out the whole “at the next safest spot” clause. Of course I would have a problem if he cut the entire infield and waited...
You’re leaving out the whole “at the next safest spot” clause. Of course I would have a problem if he cut the entire infield and waited a half a track away. That’s ridiculous. I thought that was a given.
So Honest question Should AC have went to the next available place as he did or Hit the Brakes turned around and went back on where he went off?
I know thats what they have been Doing but imo
It needs to be Changed.
The only time i see where you cant get back on in the same place is if you go over a Berm, if you go over a berm then enter immediately after the Berm.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/2/2019 9:53am
Looks like hes accepting reality now

NateDawg
6/2/2019 9:55am
Tarz483 wrote:
MXD wrote:
You’re leaving out the whole “at the next safest spot” clause. Of course I would have a problem if he cut the entire infield and waited...
Tarz483 wrote:
So Honest question Should AC have went to the next available place as he did or Hit the Brakes turned around and went back on where...
So Honest question Should AC have went to the next available place as he did or Hit the Brakes turned around and went back on where he went off?
It needs to be Changed.
The only time i see where you cant get back on in the same place is if you go over a Berm, if you go over a berm then enter immediately after the Berm.
The safety reasons for the current rule have been listed multiple times in this thread. It's not safe to have riders going the opposite direction of the other racers, even if they're off the track.
Calihusky
6/2/2019 10:00am
Wasn’t there an opening in the banners about 30 feet further down? Doing a wheelie over the banner and entering the track at the same time as the other rider doesn’t seem to follow the “no advantage/safest entry point” rule. I agree I don’t think the race results would have changed but I think AC should have entered a natural gap in the banners. Maybe in the future they can make the rule that you enter a natural gap(make them every 100 feet or so) equal or behind where you went off. That would make it a penalty of sorts if you go completely off track.
MXD
6/2/2019 10:02am
Tarz483 wrote:
MXD wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
So Honest question Should AC have went to the next available place as he did or Hit the Brakes turned around and went back on where...
It needs to be Changed.
He should have done exactly what he did because it was his best option within what the current rules allow.

That being said, I also think the rule needs to be changed. I think it gives an unfair advantage to the person who goes off the track. Adam took advantage of that but did nothing wrong.

I would feel differently about Cooper if he said something like “that rule really bit me today but it is what it is and Adam was within the rules. We’ll pick up from here and move on to High Point”.
byke
6/2/2019 10:06am
colintrax wrote:
Looks like hes accepting reality now [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/02/351873/s1200_Screenshot_20190602_125252_Instagram.jpg[/img]

Basically, those involved are totally fine and it's just spectators that are upset. Just like any other social issue, people's outrage shouldn't exceed the outrage of those actually involved. They're fine, we should be fine.
Casting
6/2/2019 10:13am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2019 10:14am
Question for MX sports: What is more important, sponsor banners or racing?

Since the advent of sponsor banners we have seen them get stuck in wheels, limit viewing in some areas, cause issues with re-entering the track. Outside variables that are not inherently part of racing should NEVER significantly impact a race result, yet we have seen many examples of his over the years.

Yes, sponsors are important to keep racing alive. But perhaps now that we have seen these banners negatively impact racing it is time for an adjustment so as not to further erode the integrity of motocross.

A similar argument could be made for tuff-blocks in SX, though they do not impact fan viewing.

I'm interesting in what the rest of the community thinks of this. Maybe I'm off my rocker...
6/2/2019 10:13am
colintrax wrote:
Looks like hes accepting reality now [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/02/351873/s1200_Screenshot_20190602_125252_Instagram.jpg[/img]

byke wrote:
Basically, those involved are totally fine and it's just spectators that are upset. Just like any other social issue, people's outrage shouldn't exceed the outrage of...
Basically, those involved are totally fine and it's just spectators that are upset. Just like any other social issue, people's outrage shouldn't exceed the outrage of those actually involved. They're fine, we should be fine.
I guarantee you Cooper is really pissed off he’s just tempered his feelings a little bit because there’s been some backlash on social media about it
byke
6/2/2019 10:15am
Maybe. I don't know how Hatfield-McCoy brained he is.
BR8ES
6/2/2019 10:16am
I am ok with both reactions, etc.., what is done is done and now let's see what Cooper is willing and able to do from here on out.
MXD
6/2/2019 10:16am
I guarantee you Cooper is really pissed off he’s just tempered his feelings a little bit because there’s been some backlash on social media about it
Exactly! I saw 3 different interviews where he took the same tone that we are all taking objection to. The post on his IG is the first time he didn’t mention it.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/2/2019 10:20am
Probably but either way I'm glad to see some ownership for his own mistake.
drt410
6/2/2019 10:35am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2019 10:36am
MXD wrote:
I lost a lot of respect for him after that. Win and lose like a man. Whether it’s fair or unfair should have no bearing on...
I lost a lot of respect for him after that. Win and lose like a man. Whether it’s fair or unfair should have no bearing on your reaction. Never mind that he threw it away anyway.
500guy wrote:
You don't think it would bother you to see a guy cut the track and be right back behind you? There needs to be some kind...
You don't think it would bother you to see a guy cut the track and be right back behind you?

There needs to be some kind of penalty for making a mistake that bad.
LOL.... wow. A penalty for making a mistake... we have officially gone full retard.
drt410
6/2/2019 10:44am
davis224 wrote:
I feel like some good points have been made in this thread but gotten lost in the mindless arguing. I think every 100 ft or so...
I feel like some good points have been made in this thread but gotten lost in the mindless arguing. I think every 100 ft or so, leave a gap in the banners, and you must come to a complete stop before re entering. Ideas worth exploring.
Why though? Just because Cooper got his pussy in a twist doesnt mean changes need to be made. Adam waited, gained no positions, and re entered when safe. Re enter where safe, gain no positions.. Its simple and it works fine. This rarely happens but now we need huge changes... vital overreacts to every single thing that happens. Ive heard so far on here:

-After Davalos 1st turn crash that sx should get rid of starts and only do staggered
-After a red flag and staggered start that they should do rolling restarts
-After a crash in the whoops that whoops should be removed
-After Barcia got his hand landed on people said that there should be no more triples only tabletops...
-Mandatory pit stops for every rider...lol

So I mean at least its consistent here in wanting massive changes after every single little one off thing that happens

Post a reply to: Justin Cooper podium interview

The Latest