Justin Bogle, Epstein-barr virus

Related:
Create New Tag

8/19/2019 11:59 AM

Bogle just announced he is also suffering from this ilness, that for sure explain this weekends racing. but whatsup with so many getting it? over training? being pushed too hard during the races?

Heal up justin!

|

8/19/2019 12:04 PM

Epstein everywhere.

|

8/19/2019 12:05 PM

Its in the herpes family of viruses. Tons of people carry it. When it flares up it affects performance.

|

8/19/2019 12:11 PM

View this post on Instagram

Hey everyone, I wanted to let all of you know what's been going on with me as my performances as of the last few races have been beyond embarrassing. Earlier this year, back at the beginning of Supercross my body started to feel super fatigued and I was not able to recover from race to race. After having some blood work done we found out that the Epstein Bar Virus was active in me, and my numbers were off the charts. So how do you fix EBV, well you rest. Unfortunatly for me, that was never a viable option. How does a fill-in rider take time off when I am trying to prove that I deserve to have a ride in the sport. Let me tell you, you don’t have that as an option. I had to back down my training and practice during the week to basically nothing at all, which is what I did to get through SX. In doing that the EBV number began to come down to moderate levels and my results in SX began to show that. Often in the last half of the SX series I would be on the board in timed practice and we won a couple of heat races with some top five finishes in the main. When the MX series started we knew it would be a struggle because I have been unable to ride any 35 minute motos all year. The only time I've ridden that long is at the races. Having won national motos and an overall, this is no way to be prepared to race the best guys in the world who are able to prepare themselves. Unfortunately, my EBV numbers are back and high once again, which really showed this past weekend in the heat of Budds Creek. I have been trying to manage this sickness all year in an effort to secure a job for next season, as I have to wait until after Ironman this weekend to really start the recovery process which we believe we have a good plan for. I have really enjoyed riding for @teamrmatvmc this year and I hope we can continue the relationship next year, because I know once I get healthy and having a year under my belt with this awesome group of people that I can be a threat next year for podiums and wins. Thanks for listening and I will see some of you this weekend at Ironman. Just know I am doing the best I can with the circumstances I'm dealt with right now. -JB

A post shared by Justin Bogle (@justinbogle19) on

|

8/19/2019 12:16 PM

Sad to hear, i like him. Really sorry for him.

|

8/19/2019 12:28 PM

Hang in the JB19. It will get better man.

|

8/19/2019 12:34 PM

We need more educated “trainers” in our sport. Too many people are ruining their careers by over training and running themselves into the ground every week.

|

8/19/2019 12:42 PM

This must be sport with most Epstein-barr...

|

8/19/2019 12:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2019 12:51 PM

Epstein and Barr are just all over the news...

Heal up JB19. Hope you get healthy and get a good ride next year.

|

8/19/2019 12:58 PM

There are several reason behind all of this. Think about the stress and load a body is under when injured then doing everything in your power to get healthy and get back to top shape. Injuries, antibiotics, stress, etc. etc. at some point it adds up. Also, there isn's much if any down time for a rider whether in season or off-season. I use that term loosely. The body is very resilient right up until its not.

|

8/19/2019 1:04 PM

I'm the most sceptical person out there and have an old school bullshit/suck it up attitude towards life, but after suffering from EBV/ME/CFS most of my adult life I really feel for these guys. Pretending to be sick is easy, pretending to be well when your sick is very hard. One place you can't hide is the most demanding sport in the world.
Only rest and time will heal them, which they obviously can't do. Life can be cruel at times

|

8/19/2019 1:11 PM

This is an epidemic in our sport. Something has to give.

|

8/19/2019 1:30 PM

I have Gilbert syndrome (blood disorder pronounced Jill Bear) and I can tell you from experience once I'm fatigued especially in the heat I get so sick it feels like a knife is in my guts and I'm very nauseated. I feel for these guys for sure.

|

8/19/2019 1:44 PM

I sure hope he gets things back to normal and gets another chance next year. Poor guy reminds me of Wilson. Just when he starts to get back into things and showing some results he has another setback.

|

8/19/2019 2:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2019 2:17 PM

sam hain wrote:

I have Gilbert syndrome (blood disorder pronounced Jill Bear) and I can tell you from experience once I'm fatigued especially in the heat I get so sick it feels like a knife is in my guts and I'm very nauseated. I feel for these guys for sure.

I have Gilbert's Syndrome as well. I think people just need to get proper and complete sleep and we don't these days. How are you doing with the syndrome? They say it effects 1 out of 10 people. Very mild symptoms.

|

8/19/2019 2:12 PM

Virus’s cannot be cured by man made medicines. Your body has to kill it on its own.
If I was a Pro I would be worried about so many people being around and limit the fan access. It’s unfortunate but it’s a reality

|

8/19/2019 4:29 PM

sam hain wrote:

Moto520 wrote:

I have Gilbert's Syndrome as well. I think people just need to get proper and complete sleep and we don't these days. How are you doing with the syndrome? They say it effects 1 out of 10 people. Very mild symptoms.

I got diagnosed when I was a freshman playing football, kept getting sick at practice and throwing up. After what seemed like 20 blood tests doctor said it was Gilbert syndrome. I deal with it best I can, I just know when it's hot and I ride I better stay hydrated and keep eating small meals. I've all but quit racing hare scrambles because it's a solid 2hr race, I do Enduro's now because I can eat between sections.

|

8/19/2019 5:55 PM

It is almost like this is the 'in' thing now in moto. Interesting how ET and the Baker's Boys don't seem to get it and they train harder than all the rest. Wonder why???

Also, be curious to know if sponsors of these guys with EB feel bad for them too. Bad enough to sign them again next year?

|

8/19/2019 8:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2019 8:44 PM

It’s a virus of the herpes family like mono so don’t think it has anything to do with training etc unless that just makes it worse possibly since you need rest.

It’s a strange virus for sure and awful to get at this level.

We as fans need to remember they are human and get sick like anyone else.

|

8/19/2019 9:29 PM

Combine- physical stress, extreme temps, mental trauma(loved one sick or dieing etc), there's a fourth cause but I forget. Some of his numbers will always be off the charts, only his igm tier will go down. He describes it perfectly, it can get better then worse the next day depending on factors. I've been dealing with this since December, maybe even before then but that is when I got "mono"- reactivated ebv. I'd take broken bones any day over this. Most everything you read on google is very vague about ebv, it's way more complex. There is alot you can do to help but its complicated- rebuilding immune system. Lots of young people suffering as well as older in the Ebv Facebook groups, really sad stories. It's some bad sh!t, best wishes to Bogle and the other riders with this, take care of yourselves.

|

8/19/2019 10:56 PM

I would like to see the data on EB virus vs the amount of track-snacks they eat.

|

"Are you kidding me guy? You know how hard I grease it"

8/20/2019 12:08 AM

One thing about Epstein Barr, Mono, and Cytomegalovirus is that many people are technically infected, that is their immune system has developed antibodies for them. But then some people, for a combination of reasons, have the virus become "active". It's kind of like chickenpox/varicella, we all got it as kids but then it loves to pop up later in life as one's immune system weakens and it re-appears as shingles.

So most of the riders who end up sick with EBV/mono/CMV are probably already infected. There can be so many reasons why some guys become active and others don't but for sure over-training is one way. And maybe this is why we don't see Aldon's guys or Tomac getting sick, maybe the programs are a bit more refined and tuned to the riders a bit better. We all remember how Dungey said he actually did less with Aldon than when he was doing his own program.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.