Just watched the Firsthand episode featuring Dungey

Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 12:32pm
http://video.fuel.tv/services/player/bcpid57636736001?bctid=620150814001

It's refreshing to see a humble hardworking family at the top, sans all the bullshit bling lifestyle. Ryan reminds me of Jeff Stanton and Doug Henry a bit, he does his talking while hanging on to a factory 450 winning and staying consistent .

BTW that was the first time I saw the St Louis race where Villipoto pulled that semi cheap shot on Dungey, It looks to me like the crash (RV's season ender) was more about riding over his head just after the take down on Dungey, he tried to blitz away and I bet his heart rate was through the roof. Dungey even said he could tell that RV was just as frazzled as he and Dungey's patience, once again paid off.

I think Dungey could be the next level of evolution in this sport from Stewart. Yes Stewart is mind numbingly fast but misses the consistency to keep on two wheels, it looks like Dungey is finding the sweet spot of blazing fast riding while combining it with an effortless smooth style. Bottom line, he doesn't bet the farm everytime the gate drops.

Some say he is boring personality wise but I sure get fired up everytime I see him race.
A-1 is gonna be awesome.
|
mccread
9/29/2010 9:26am
Great video, Dungey is awesome.. the most humble/ nice down to earth champion i can remember... yet one of the most motivated to win.. that is a hard combination to pull off.

And to put the icing on the cake he has a great textbook smooth and stylish riding style.
kwhite199
9/29/2010 9:26am
Hopefully the new sports car doesn't give him an inflated ego Wink
40Plus_922mx
9/29/2010 9:31am
The reason why people say he's boring or hard to interview is that he gets it. Ryan knows how fickle the media is, how neurotic the fans are, and how his words will get used against him no matter what comes outta his mouth.

With that said, I think he could be more open and honest and just let whomever say what they want. Kinda like Canard.
That's my 02.
9/29/2010 10:11am
although I do like the episode, and Dungey, you cant sit here and say just because RD said so, that RV was riding over his head that that is why he crashed.

No, RV crashed because the lip on that triple was stupid and dangerous and they complained about it all day.

Sure RV care in and put a REAL aggressive move on Dungey, but what about a couple years ago when canard did it at the same venue?

Seems like anyone who praises god here is on the upside, while everyone else is the out of control, frazzled, over-achieved, washed up racers.

Just cant wait til the fast guys in the premier class get back, i think the winner will be different than all this year. just my .02.

The Shop

Racer92
9/29/2010 10:16am
Cool video, the kid deserves everything he got in 2010
gt80rider
9/29/2010 10:17am
The reason why people say he's boring or hard to interview is that he gets it. Ryan knows how fickle the media is, how neurotic the...
The reason why people say he's boring or hard to interview is that he gets it. Ryan knows how fickle the media is, how neurotic the fans are, and how his words will get used against him no matter what comes outta his mouth.

With that said, I think he could be more open and honest and just let whomever say what they want. Kinda like Canard.
That's my 02.
damn... that's one of the best posts ever..... kudos...
peelout719
9/29/2010 10:17am
never cared for dungey, but that video was bad ass
9/29/2010 10:22am
Really great video. It was almost like a mini "The Great Indoors"... It's easy to forget how close the series was last year.

It seems like there might be a little bad blood between RD and RV. It will be a match up that is going to be a lot of fun next year!
grover738
9/29/2010 10:34am
How many other people had flashbacks to the video of RC on his indoor bike?

Great vid, fun to watch.

hasko158
9/29/2010 11:10am
Awesome vid, obviously he has learned from RC and surrounded himself with the right people. His family seems to have his back just like RC's too. I spoke with his dad at Unadilla last year, super cool guy that's just pumped on what his kid is achieving.
300zx
9/29/2010 11:15am
Direct Shot.

motomike137
9/29/2010 11:18am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2010 11:22am
although I do like the episode, and Dungey, you cant sit here and say just because RD said so, that RV was riding over his head...
although I do like the episode, and Dungey, you cant sit here and say just because RD said so, that RV was riding over his head that that is why he crashed.

No, RV crashed because the lip on that triple was stupid and dangerous and they complained about it all day.

Sure RV care in and put a REAL aggressive move on Dungey, but what about a couple years ago when canard did it at the same venue?

Seems like anyone who praises god here is on the upside, while everyone else is the out of control, frazzled, over-achieved, washed up racers.

Just cant wait til the fast guys in the premier class get back, i think the winner will be different than all this year. just my .02.
The jump was poorly designed for sure but every time I see that footage I think to myself that he bailed out pretty early. I wonder if he could have stayed aboard cased it and then crashed less violenly or even rode out of it?

And as for the winner this year being different if you are referring to Stewart I wonder if James has what it takes to stay focused and unhurt throughout a whole season while having to fight with other riders week in and week out.
9/29/2010 2:42pm
although I do like the episode, and Dungey, you cant sit here and say just because RD said so, that RV was riding over his head...

I understand the lip of the jump was sketchy and demanded extra caution while jumping it. That is where RV made a fatal error, he hit the jump while still trying to gather himself from the tangle with RD and didn't hit it with the extra caution the jump demanded (he was trying to bonzai away from RD). RD did however take the time needed to get back into the groove.

Bottom line, the jump was dangerous, every rider at the stadium had to hit it that night and use extra caution. The riders that crashed obviously didn't give it(the jump)the caution it demanded.

I know from my own experience over the years racing, that there are jumps that you can hit while pulling a tear off looking across the track,pulling up your pants,adjusting your clutch etc..(barely paying attention) and you get it perfect everytime and there are other jumps you don't dare hit without being completely straight hitting it with the utmost of preparedness and caution every lap because sometimes certain jumps just throw you weird no matter what. This was one of those jumps.(it was dangerous obviously, I don't know why they didn't fix it, but they didn't)

I also beleive that a rider of RV's talent doesn't need to take a guy like Dungey out to win the championship in a corner with questionable judgement like he did. He could have won that championship if he would have settled down and waited a few more corners and probably could have taken the win in that race. He wasn't patient and it cost him dearly.

RD has the speed of RV and JS but also the patience and wisdom to know when to push things and know when to hold back, regroup and figure a different approach to get the job done.

I look forward to this coming SX series and I hope that RD,RV, JS,CR,CP, and TC are all are there and healthy, so that us the fans get to witness what could possibly be one of the most competetive epic SX seasons in the history of the sport. Depending on how Pourcel and Canard adjust to the big bikes, we could have 6 guys that have a legitimate shot at the win every Saturday night.
40Plus_922mx
9/30/2010 8:24am
Knowing that jump was jacked all day proves he was riding over his head. After stripping RD off his bike, RV was in 7th gear trying to put distance on Dungey who would surely try and take it to the next level (something he learned from KW in an old Phoenix race ala DV).

Ryans WAS riding over his head to the letter of the definition. Seeing the inside blocked by a lapper, he went outside (again riding over his head) and couldn't make it work. The stuff that kid does on a bike is beautiful. The way he backs it into corners with the rear tire spinning! Just insane. I love the kid. And if anyone coulda made the jump work it woulda been him.

He is not a bad kid for this. He is a racer at heart trying to make something work that he probably shouldn't have. If he had made it it would have made a world of a difference in the race most likely. And that was the hope. But it didn't. He will be back stronger and smarter for it.

Hope we see him at his full potential next year.
soren346
9/30/2010 8:38am
Might be the best video yet. Very good.
BobbyM
9/30/2010 8:41am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2010 8:59am
http://video.fuel.tv/services/player/bcpid57636736001?bctid=620150814001 It's refreshing to see a humble hardworking family at the top, sans all the bullshit bling lifestyle. Ryan reminds me of Jeff Stanton and Doug...

It's refreshing to see a humble hardworking family at the top, sans all the bullshit bling lifestyle. Ryan reminds me of Jeff Stanton and Doug Henry a bit, he does his talking while hanging on to a factory 450 winning and staying consistent .

BTW that was the first time I saw the St Louis race where Villipoto pulled that semi cheap shot on Dungey, It looks to me like the crash (RV's season ender) was more about riding over his head just after the take down on Dungey, he tried to blitz away and I bet his heart rate was through the roof. Dungey even said he could tell that RV was just as frazzled as he and Dungey's patience, once again paid off.

I think Dungey could be the next level of evolution in this sport from Stewart. Yes Stewart is mind numbingly fast but misses the consistency to keep on two wheels, it looks like Dungey is finding the sweet spot of blazing fast riding while combining it with an effortless smooth style. Bottom line, he doesn't bet the farm everytime the gate drops.

Some say he is boring personality wise but I sure get fired up everytime I see him race.
A-1 is gonna be awesome.
ryan's success is because he's smart and a great rider, he's smart and a great rider because of troy and michelle. damn great family to be a part of that's for damn sure and i think ryan knows that. how the hell you can't just love this kid is beyond me, unless you ain't moto to the core.

i remember that race like it was yesterday, michelle was so nervous...i thought she was gonna crack but man she didn't and she sure was relieved when the race was over and ryan got 2nd still in one piece. you could tell by the look in her eye though that she knew her kid could bang bars with james and walk away...maybe, just maybe with a win to boot.
9/30/2010 8:44am
Knowing that jump was jacked all day proves he was riding over his head. After stripping RD off his bike, RV was in 7th gear trying...
Knowing that jump was jacked all day proves he was riding over his head. After stripping RD off his bike, RV was in 7th gear trying to put distance on Dungey who would surely try and take it to the next level (something he learned from KW in an old Phoenix race ala DV).

Ryans WAS riding over his head to the letter of the definition. Seeing the inside blocked by a lapper, he went outside (again riding over his head) and couldn't make it work. The stuff that kid does on a bike is beautiful. The way he backs it into corners with the rear tire spinning! Just insane. I love the kid. And if anyone coulda made the jump work it woulda been him.

He is not a bad kid for this. He is a racer at heart trying to make something work that he probably shouldn't have. If he had made it it would have made a world of a difference in the race most likely. And that was the hope. But it didn't. He will be back stronger and smarter for it.

Hope we see him at his full potential next year.
Good post man, I agree and I hope RV comes back strong (there's never been any shortage of strength or talent in this kid) and a little smarter. A pro mot-x career is short as it is. A guy can only afford so many mistakes like that one.

The old saying "You can't win the championship in one race, but you sure can lose it in one race" applies directly to this circumstance.

9/30/2010 9:08am
http://video.fuel.tv/services/player/bcpid57636736001?bctid=620150814001 It's refreshing to see a humble hardworking family at the top, sans all the bullshit bling lifestyle. Ryan reminds me of Jeff Stanton and Doug...

A-1 is gonna be awesome.
BobbyM wrote:
ryan's success is because he's smart and a great rider, he's smart and a great rider because of troy and michelle. damn great family to be...
ryan's success is because he's smart and a great rider, he's smart and a great rider because of troy and michelle. damn great family to be a part of that's for damn sure and i think ryan knows that. how the hell you can't just love this kid is beyond me, unless you ain't moto to the core.

i remember that race like it was yesterday, michelle was so nervous...i thought she was gonna crack but man she didn't and she sure was relieved when the race was over and ryan got 2nd still in one piece. you could tell by the look in her eye though that she knew her kid could bang bars with james and walk away...maybe, just maybe with a win to boot.
I agree Bob, it reminds me of what I consider some of the best days of my life when my Mom,Dad,little bro and I lived for this sport. We went to the races every weekend as a family and shared the challenge as a team. I still reminisce those days and the simple joy it brought all of us. The highs the lows and the passion we developed for winning and competition, learning how hard work pays off. The tight knit community that develops around an amateur racing effort and the camradery that develops between families that become pit neighbors for years sharing their passion (and bike parts) for a sport they all love. It's really tough to describe to people who haven't experienced it and the feeling it brings. I live in Oregon now and love it out here but my motocross soul lives in the motocross parks of AMA District 6 southeast Pennsylvania in the mid 1980's those were my glory days.

Watching the Dungey family have this amazing success and remain grounded is truly refreshing and is renewing my passion for pro motocross.

I know the bling bullshit is the what most kids identify with now but to me the simple hardworking people doing it as a family week in and week out for the pure love of the sport is what I consider the heart and soul of motocross. And to see a family like the Dungey's make it to the top is icing on the cake.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/30/2010 10:10am
I agree Bob, it reminds me of what I consider some of the best days of my life when my Mom,Dad,little bro and I lived for...
I agree Bob, it reminds me of what I consider some of the best days of my life when my Mom,Dad,little bro and I lived for this sport. We went to the races every weekend as a family and shared the challenge as a team. I still reminisce those days and the simple joy it brought all of us. The highs the lows and the passion we developed for winning and competition, learning how hard work pays off. The tight knit community that develops around an amateur racing effort and the camradery that develops between families that become pit neighbors for years sharing their passion (and bike parts) for a sport they all love. It's really tough to describe to people who haven't experienced it and the feeling it brings. I live in Oregon now and love it out here but my motocross soul lives in the motocross parks of AMA District 6 southeast Pennsylvania in the mid 1980's those were my glory days.

Watching the Dungey family have this amazing success and remain grounded is truly refreshing and is renewing my passion for pro motocross.

I know the bling bullshit is the what most kids identify with now but to me the simple hardworking people doing it as a family week in and week out for the pure love of the sport is what I consider the heart and soul of motocross. And to see a family like the Dungey's make it to the top is icing on the cake.
"my motocross soul lives in the motocross parks of AMA District 6 southeast Pennsylvania in the mid 1980's those were my glory days. "

You and me both brother. Many lessons were learned and bonds were strengthened at Sleepy Hollow, Evansville, Hurricane Hills, Pagoda, etc. We had no money but my dad would do whatever it took to get us to the track. Me, my brother, and our best friends would all pile in the van and it was an adventure. My dad never pressured me at all. He would just fix the bike, say give 'em hell, and then smile like crazy when I would have a good day and smoke the kids with the brand new bikes and big haulers.

I have to ask. Did you ever wear one of those marshmallow man suits for a mud race at Sloppy Hollow? I sure did !!!! LOL !!!!
9/30/2010 10:37am
I agree Bob, it reminds me of what I consider some of the best days of my life when my Mom,Dad,little bro and I lived for...

FGR01 wrote:
"my motocross soul lives in the motocross parks of AMA District 6 southeast Pennsylvania in the mid 1980's those were my glory days. " You and...
"my motocross soul lives in the motocross parks of AMA District 6 southeast Pennsylvania in the mid 1980's those were my glory days. "

You and me both brother. Many lessons were learned and bonds were strengthened at Sleepy Hollow, Evansville, Hurricane Hills, Pagoda, etc. We had no money but my dad would do whatever it took to get us to the track. Me, my brother, and our best friends would all pile in the van and it was an adventure. My dad never pressured me at all. He would just fix the bike, say give 'em hell, and then smile like crazy when I would have a good day and smoke the kids with the brand new bikes and big haulers.

I have to ask. Did you ever wear one of those marshmallow man suits for a mud race at Sloppy Hollow? I sure did !!!! LOL !!!!
Ahh yes, Smile absolutely! The marshmellow suites were soo cool, I wore those usually in practice and muddy spring days there. I really stepped up the cool factor in 87 and got the football jersey with my number to wear over the chest protector. Smile

Hey what years/classes did you run there?

I raced a lot from 1986 thru 1992 especially Sleepy,Hurricane and Pagoda (I was a member for 5 years), Evansville, we would do E-town a fair amount too, but when my little brother started racing Jersey had a law that kids under 12 (?i think) weren't allowed to race , we started skipping E-town except for KROC and a few other races.

I rode 125 c,b,a, 250 b,a always on a Honda I used to get some help from Bobby Jones at Montgomeryville.
cason402
9/30/2010 11:06am
Dungey is one hell of a motocrosser and one single focused overachiever.

But one thing he isn't is a conversationalist. I can understand podium interviews being especially tough, hell of a lot on a guys mind up there. I can understand post race interviews being tough, you've done your job and you'd like to just go home instead of sit at a table and answer the same old questions. But in edited video; to STILL be unable to assemble words together into sentences... well, I find it amusing.

I'm just sayin', not knockin' him.. his job is to ride the heck out of a dirt bike, not talk. It's real at least (compared to the post kawasaki carmicheal - after the honda PR classes).

On the RV crash / jump injury. The cause of the crash was a guy riding for the biggest prize and achievement that can be had in motorcycling, (not to mention the potential of millions of dollars). Yes, the jump had issues.. yes he pushed it a bit too far.... but live to fight another day isn't always the best strategy and RV wanted it, needed it and was well aware of the price he'd have to pay for it. Can't fault that.

peace
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/30/2010 11:38am
Ahh yes, :) absolutely! The marshmellow suites were soo cool, I wore those usually in practice and muddy spring days there. I really stepped up the...
Ahh yes, Smile absolutely! The marshmellow suites were soo cool, I wore those usually in practice and muddy spring days there. I really stepped up the cool factor in 87 and got the football jersey with my number to wear over the chest protector. Smile

Hey what years/classes did you run there?

I raced a lot from 1986 thru 1992 especially Sleepy,Hurricane and Pagoda (I was a member for 5 years), Evansville, we would do E-town a fair amount too, but when my little brother started racing Jersey had a law that kids under 12 (?i think) weren't allowed to race , we started skipping E-town except for KROC and a few other races.

I rode 125 c,b,a, 250 b,a always on a Honda I used to get some help from Bobby Jones at Montgomeryville.
Same here. I raced 80 Junior and 80 expert like 83-86 and then 125C 1986 and then 125B and A 1987-1988. then I joined the Army in 1989. I was stationed back in the area 1991-1992 and raced 125B and A. I mostly went to Sleepy and E-ville and occasionally the others including E-town. I would also hit stuff down in Maryland area when I was stationed there.. Antietam, Ramblers, Doublin Gap, etc.

I have pics somewhere of racing Evansville SX with like 3 layers of sweatshirts on and snow flurries coming down!

I used to love going to KROC and watching Ward, Donny Shmit, Eddie Warren, etc just tear it up.
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3116th
9/30/2010 12:06pm
I like how you can see in the RV/Dungey incident, that Dungey was struggling to get his bike up because he was also trying to stand on RV's bike that so he wouldn't get up before him. Kind of like Alessi and Tedesco back in the day. Dungey isn't exactly mr. innocent Tongue

And the 'RV was riding over his head, I could see it' is just his way of making him look like the better guy. Was Tedesco riding over his head too when he crashed on the same jump and obliterated his ribs and chest? How about Reed when he called out the ridiculous jump after the heat race?

It's easy to say RV was riding over his head and had his heart rate up, but if that were the case, then why was he smooth everywhere on the track -- and the only spot he made a mistake happened to be the most dangerously built jump/landing of the year? He got unlucky -- that's it.
9/30/2010 12:21pm
Rewindcaz wrote:
I like how you can see in the RV/Dungey incident, that Dungey was struggling to get his bike up because he was also trying to stand...
I like how you can see in the RV/Dungey incident, that Dungey was struggling to get his bike up because he was also trying to stand on RV's bike that so he wouldn't get up before him. Kind of like Alessi and Tedesco back in the day. Dungey isn't exactly mr. innocent Tongue

And the 'RV was riding over his head, I could see it' is just his way of making him look like the better guy. Was Tedesco riding over his head too when he crashed on the same jump and obliterated his ribs and chest? How about Reed when he called out the ridiculous jump after the heat race?

It's easy to say RV was riding over his head and had his heart rate up, but if that were the case, then why was he smooth everywhere on the track -- and the only spot he made a mistake happened to be the most dangerously built jump/landing of the year? He got unlucky -- that's it.
You're comparing apples to oranges, a completely different situation.Didn't MA take IT down? Then proceed to try to hit his kill switch? Rv went under Dungey and took him down (which I doubt he meant to do) Dungey fell on top of him and he was doing everything he could to get back on his bike, and your damn right if some dude took me down like that I wouldn't do him any favors and give him the space he needed to get up before me. RV's crash happened pretty quick after getting up from the tangle unless he isn't human ,the adrenalin was still pumping and the heart rate had to still be elevated a bit.

I'm not bagging on RV it was an agressive racing move that didn't payoff and it's easy for us to sit here and analyse it. It's a bummer he got hurt, I would have rather watched the season finish out with them battling all the way to the final lap at vegas regardless who came out on top.

Post a reply to: Just watched the Firsthand episode featuring Dungey

The Latest