Just wanted to let Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki know (Updated Video)

JM485
Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 9:39pm
That they lost a customer. Some here might remember the ongoing issues I've had trying to restore my 06 rm250. Long story short, I put in a bunch of my own money and time into the bike and it ended up all being for nothing, the bike made it a few laps and was down for the count. Looks as though the frame may be cracked, which caused the head to crack and this damage the cylinder, and I honestly didn't have the heart to spend another huge chunk of money into that thing.

Fast forward a few weeks, and my dad thought it was time to start fresh, and he was nice enough to help me out with a 15 yz250! I had kicked around the idea of restoring a cr250 but in the end we decided to start fresh since I would have the bike for a long time. The decision then became which bike to get, the KTM or the Yamaha? I based my decision based on what is important to me, and that is suspension/handling over motor. Since the Yamaha has better suspension right out of the box, and even more importantly reasonable prices in OEM parts, the decision was to go blue. It actually was a super cool experience as I got to go and sign all the paperwork and pick up the bike, this is the first time I have ever done anything like this and it was pretty damn awesome!

Of course, the first thing to do with a new bike is rip it apart!Woohoo All bearings got a fresh coating of grease, and any bolts threading into aluminum or brass was given a coating of antisieze.

After a few heat cycles down the street and an oil change, it was time for the first ride! I was a little worried about running the 91 octane gas the dealer had in the bike but it ended up being fine, I will be mixing the gas 50/50 with AVgas from now on though since I did get a small amount of detination. Overall, I was very happy with the bike! After setting the sag I think I touched the clickers once the entire day, no comaints there! The motor was also incredibly strong and had enough power to get me over everything with ease, though I am only around 155 lbs. The first mods will definately be a flywheel weight and TM Designworks composite skid plate, I'm a trail rider at heart and will be racing this bike at the Sacramento Endurocross so protection is mandatory, I will also get a recluse clutch as well. Overall, I think I will enjoy this bike for a long time, the reliability is proven and I can see why Yamaha hasn't changed much over the years, there really isn't any need to!

Bike will be getting a steady diet of this cut 50/50 with 91 pump.

A few photos from the first ride. My friend was supposed to come out and take some better ones but he slept though his alarm! Come on man!DryLaughing

Sorry for the novel long post but I'm pretty excited, me and Raining Yellow are now teammates I guess.Cool

Edit: Don't know what happened but the first and last pictures got switched!
|
Jack mehoff
6/28/2015 9:33pm
Congratulations, nothing like a new bike , looks like you made a good choice
Dissident
6/28/2015 9:38pm
cool story bro

honda, suzuki and kawasaki do not give a fuck about your yz250 purchase

burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
6/28/2015 9:44pm
Wow, that's awesome! Sounds like you have a great dad.

The Shop

6/28/2015 9:50pm
Congrats on the new bike. Just curious as to the comment on ktm parts being expensive. I currently have a 15 yz250f but came off a 2 ktms previously and before that yamahas. I actually found ktm parts to be the same price and better quality .
jeffro503
6/28/2015 9:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2015 9:58pm
Dissident wrote:
cool story bro

They should give a fuck actually. Because there is probably 20,000 other moto heads that will read this over the next few months and all it does is put a bug in their ear. Along with the countless other " I want a 2 stroke " type threads. I love both the 4 stroke and 2 strokes , but to completely deny the fact that the 2 strokes aren't gaining ground back , is just plain stupid. Beyond stupid.

And great write up Josh! Happy for you , and getting that new freshy YZ! Bummed that the old RM let you down , but what you got now is definitely a step up! Hope to hear more from you on this bike after you have her all broken in and have it set up proper , and what your feelings are about it compared to your RM when she was running good. Congrats man!
MtnBoy
6/28/2015 10:04pm
Sweet!

If your going with a composite skid plate, I'd go with an SXS, its a great product, TONS of endurocross guys running them.
bvm111
6/28/2015 10:43pm
My TMR tuned 06 KX250 will smoke that thing... Just sayin and just kidding!!!

Nothing compares to a new new bike and congrats on the bike even if it is a yamadawg!!! Tongue
SwapperMX
6/28/2015 10:45pm
Dissident wrote:
cool story bro

jeffro503 wrote:
They should give a fuck actually. Because there is probably 20,000 other moto heads that will read this over the next few months and all it...
They should give a fuck actually. Because there is probably 20,000 other moto heads that will read this over the next few months and all it does is put a bug in their ear. Along with the countless other " I want a 2 stroke " type threads. I love both the 4 stroke and 2 strokes , but to completely deny the fact that the 2 strokes aren't gaining ground back , is just plain stupid. Beyond stupid.

And great write up Josh! Happy for you , and getting that new freshy YZ! Bummed that the old RM let you down , but what you got now is definitely a step up! Hope to hear more from you on this bike after you have her all broken in and have it set up proper , and what your feelings are about it compared to your RM when she was running good. Congrats man!
I am studying a marketing degree, and one of the very first things you learn is about constantly monitoring the market, changes within the marketplace, and that it is key to take note of any opportunities that exist within that marketplace.

Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki's marketing department's answer to that is just to give away their current inventory instead. Weird ???
bsharkey
6/28/2015 10:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2015 10:55pm
Congrats on the new bike. Just curious as to the comment on ktm parts being expensive. I currently have a 15 yz250f but came off a...
Congrats on the new bike. Just curious as to the comment on ktm parts being expensive. I currently have a 15 yz250f but came off a 2 ktms previously and before that yamahas. I actually found ktm parts to be the same price and better quality .
I own both and the ktm is way more exspensive. where would you like to start. how about levers oem Yamaha $16 ktm $65 and it recently dropped from $85
nytsmaC
6/28/2015 10:54pm
Dissident wrote:
cool story bro

jeffro503 wrote:
They should give a fuck actually. Because there is probably 20,000 other moto heads that will read this over the next few months and all it...

SwapperMX wrote:
I am studying a marketing degree, and one of the very first things you learn is about constantly monitoring the market, changes within the marketplace, and...
I am studying a marketing degree, and one of the very first things you learn is about constantly monitoring the market, changes within the marketplace, and that it is key to take note of any opportunities that exist within that marketplace.

Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki's marketing department's answer to that is just to give away their current inventory instead. Weird ???
Kawi spent a fortune redesigning their 450. Who's excited about anything else they, Honda or Suzuki are selling for 2016?
SwapperMX
6/28/2015 11:04pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Kawi spent a fortune redesigning their 450. Who's excited about anything else they, Honda or Suzuki are selling for 2016?
Seamorbutts
6/28/2015 11:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2015 11:07pm
Congrates my man, and enjoy! If I could ride still, that would be the only bike I'd buy. Spin some extra laps for us old broken down folks. Lol
SoCalMX70
6/28/2015 11:13pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2015 11:14pm
Dissident wrote:
cool story bro

Good luck with your vitalmx forum career.

On a more serious note... AWESOME! Been drooling over the newer styled YZ's for awhile now. Possible near future purchase...
7GP
6/28/2015 11:13pm
Looks fresh! What are you going to do with the RM? Hit me up if you decide to sell it.
kiwifan
6/28/2015 11:48pm
Dissident wrote:
cool story bro

jeffro503 wrote:

Gaining ground? New bike 2 stroke sales are apparently still WAAAAY behind 4 stroke sales, so why would they give a toss? And the rules favour 4 strokes for SX and MX, so again why should they give a toss?

nytsmaC
6/28/2015 11:52pm
Dissident wrote:
cool story bro

jeffro503 wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
Gaining ground? New bike 2 stroke sales are apparently still WAAAAY behind 4 stroke sales, so why would they give a toss? And the rules favour...
Gaining ground? New bike 2 stroke sales are apparently still WAAAAY behind 4 stroke sales, so why would they give a toss? And the rules favour 4 strokes for SX and MX, so again why should they give a toss?

Because if Suzuki sold a 2016 RM250 it would be way more exciting than anything else they have going on. Even if it were a 2008 with BNG.
MotoX85
6/29/2015 12:24am
We have one also, well my 14 yr old son has one, my old but still is spoiled by the 4 stroke ease of riding.
He absolutely loves it. Congrats on the purchase and keep it safe!
6/29/2015 12:49am
7GP wrote:
Looks fresh! What are you going to do with the RM? Hit me up if you decide to sell it.
+1. I'm after an 06 RM250 engine
kiwifan
6/29/2015 1:19am
jeffro503 wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
Gaining ground? New bike 2 stroke sales are apparently still WAAAAY behind 4 stroke sales, so why would they give a toss? And the rules favour...

nytsmaC wrote:
Because if Suzuki sold a 2016 RM250 it would be way more exciting than anything else they have going on. Even if it were a 2008...
Because if Suzuki sold a 2016 RM250 it would be way more exciting than anything else they have going on. Even if it were a 2008 with BNG.
but they dont and wont, you are flogging a dead horse :-)
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/29/2015 1:19am
kiwifan wrote:

the rules in everything but the pro racing in the states is cc vs cc, so unless you area AMA pro, it does not matter, you can race a 2 stroke 250 against a 250F, (and its everywhere in NZ, Aussie and Canada)

I know Honda, Kawi and Suzuki have no intention to produce a 2 stroke full size dirt bike anytime soon, but it may change, if 125 or 250 two strokes become the biggest sellers of Yam/KTM's range, at the moment, they have not,
kiwifan
6/29/2015 1:29am
kiwifan wrote:

scott_nz wrote:
the rules in everything but the pro racing in the states is cc vs cc, so unless you area AMA pro, it does not matter, you...
the rules in everything but the pro racing in the states is cc vs cc, so unless you area AMA pro, it does not matter, you can race a 2 stroke 250 against a 250F, (and its everywhere in NZ, Aussie and Canada)

I know Honda, Kawi and Suzuki have no intention to produce a 2 stroke full size dirt bike anytime soon, but it may change, if 125 or 250 two strokes become the biggest sellers of Yam/KTM's range, at the moment, they have not,
that was my point above Scott, and the motorbike sales market in NZ, Aussie and Canada is no where near the USA, so I doubt that will influence or sway the total sales for 2 strokes. But hey happy to be proven wrong.

Remember the 2008/2009 RM250's (whatever year they were) they had leftover in Australia, took them a long time to get rid of them, sure as heck Suzuki remembers it. And they were damn good bikes too.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/29/2015 1:50am
kiwifan wrote:
that was my point above Scott, and the motorbike sales market in NZ, Aussie and Canada is no where near the USA, so I doubt that...
that was my point above Scott, and the motorbike sales market in NZ, Aussie and Canada is no where near the USA, so I doubt that will influence or sway the total sales for 2 strokes. But hey happy to be proven wrong.

Remember the 2008/2009 RM250's (whatever year they were) they had leftover in Australia, took them a long time to get rid of them, sure as heck Suzuki remembers it. And they were damn good bikes too.
Suzuki kept making 2008 RM125 and 250's until 2011, (i was a suzuki/kawi dealer at the time) they never changed, and they were still called RM250K8's, (they still make a quad that is technically a 2004 model)

they kept selling ok, but we were still selling way more four strokes,

Kawasaki stopped the KX125 in the states in 05, but sold it in the rest of the world till 08 and the KX250 got an extra year everywhere else in the world,

I have seen the Kiwi sales figures, and the Aussie ones are released publicly, and the 2 strokes don't get anywhere near the four strokes, I doubt the US figures are much different for MX sales,

kiwifan
6/29/2015 2:41am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2015 2:43am
kiwifan wrote:
that was my point above Scott, and the motorbike sales market in NZ, Aussie and Canada is no where near the USA, so I doubt that...

scott_nz wrote:
Suzuki kept making 2008 RM125 and 250's until 2011, (i was a suzuki/kawi dealer at the time) they never changed, and they were still called RM250K8's...
Suzuki kept making 2008 RM125 and 250's until 2011, (i was a suzuki/kawi dealer at the time) they never changed, and they were still called RM250K8's, (they still make a quad that is technically a 2004 model)

they kept selling ok, but we were still selling way more four strokes,

Kawasaki stopped the KX125 in the states in 05, but sold it in the rest of the world till 08 and the KX250 got an extra year everywhere else in the world,

I have seen the Kiwi sales figures, and the Aussie ones are released publicly, and the 2 strokes don't get anywhere near the four strokes, I doubt the US figures are much different for MX sales,

Agreed :-)

And I preferred the RM over the KX :-)
6/29/2015 3:09am
Cool to see 2 strokes gaining popularity again in the US. They still have a big following over here but since the US market dominates most manufacturers are only really concerned with the demand there, would be nice to see some serious development back into the 2t....although that would push prices up
SwapperMX
6/29/2015 3:35am
kiwifan wrote:

That is the biggest myth going round !! Suzuki were still making the RM 125's and RM250's, they just didnt put bold new graphics on their bikes like Yamaha did. Somehow on the internet that turned into Suzuki having 5 years worth of left over stock. Simply wasnt the case !!
6/29/2015 4:14am
Dissident wrote:
cool story bro

No one gives a fuck about your post.
tomm55x
6/29/2015 4:55am
Nice bike man,it's a great feeling to bring a brand new dirtbike home!!
ChrisB10
6/29/2015 5:09am
I can't stand the guys who keep whining about how the 2 stroke is the better bike or should be back in pro racing BUT I have to say if I was going to buy a new bike today I'd probably go with YZ250.

Post a reply to: Just wanted to let Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki know (Updated Video)

The Latest