Unrestored
A 1977 original in race condition
Magnesium engines cases
Magnesium triple clamps
Magnesium front and rear hubs with braking plates
Equipped with handmade WP rear shocks
Lots of magnesium and titanium parts
Factory made KYB front forks
The Carlsbad motocross circuit, site of the United States Grand Prix from 1973-92, was notoriously hard and difficult, but one rider dominated the track like no other: Gerrit Wolsink. Born in Holland, Wolsink cut his teeth on the muddy European motocross tracks, in the same generation as his chief rivals Roger DeCoster and Heikki Mikkola. While European racers were still the top of the world, it was clear in the 1970s that the USA was the future of the sport, especially with television coverage from the Wide World of Sports dangling real money before promoters and riders. Wolsink won five USGPs at Carlsbad, and 13 overall Grand Prix wins during his career, which places him 16th in the all-time list of top winners for 500cc motocross GP racers. “For sure, back in the mid-70’s I was as quick as anyone. Because I rode for Suzuki, I knew I had the best bikes, and my speed was always good, didn’t matter if it was sand, rock-hard or whatever. I would spend three or four weeks in America in the summer because we had the USGP, then a month later the Canadian Grand Prix. In the winter I would spend three months in America. I did that for six-years in a row, and I loved it. In 1976 I was blocked by a rider for two heats for the complete race, the tracks were very dusty in those days, at the old track at Ettelbrook. I passed this guy twice and he crashed into me. I never got angry, but he cost me the World Championship that year. We had a rule that we didn’t get involved in the fights for the championship, this guy just went out to stop me being world champion, and I’ll never forget what happen.”

What had happened was a conspiracy to stop the Europeans from winning the World Championship, as it looked bad on American television. “Honda in America told me the AMA didn’t want anyone from Europe racing there anymore, only the guys who were already involved, guys like Pierre Karsmakers. I didn’t care—I had a good deal with Suzuki in the Grand Prix, and to be honest, Europe was the top level then, we were the best riders in the World. The money in America was getting better back though.”

This 1977 Suzuki factory MX racer is the actual machine on which Gerrit Wolsink won the USGP at Carlsbad that year, as televised on the Wide World of Sports. The machine is absolutely as it crossed the finish line in 1977, the year he finished third in the World Championships for the second time. This is a truly historic machine, and still in possession of the man who made it a winner, making it a 100-percent bona fide Grand Prix-winning racer.
|
BB67
9/9/2018 6:05am
That is from Jan 2017.I think it sold for 34K?/?.I still want it bad tho.
Korbenw7p3c
9/9/2018 6:42am
Who was the “rider” that kept crashing him out???
plowboy
9/9/2018 7:25am
Let's hear the story. There are plenty of folks that were at that race.
ATKpilot99
9/9/2018 7:32am
Sounds like he said this happened at Ettelbrook not the USGP ?

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/9/2018 8:22am
plowboy wrote:
Let's hear the story. There are plenty of folks that were at that race.
It wasn’t at the USGP. Gerrit was flawless at that track and I’m not positive but he may have never hit the ground there.
plowboy
9/9/2018 8:34am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Sounds like he said this happened at Ettelbrook not the USGP ?
After some coffee and a re-read...I believe you are correct. In any case, someone remembers the details. I know Roger has a great memory for all this stuff. It would be cool if someone made a video series with him as narrator...traveling the world bench racing with all the guys from back in the day.
newmann
9/9/2018 8:39am
That one sold for $70,000.00. I hear there was a bit of a stink over it not being exactly what it was represented as. Anyone have any details on that?

Post a reply to: Just saw Wolsink's Carlsbad GP Winning Suzuki on Mecum Auctions

The Latest