Just picked up a RM 125

Related:
Create New Tag

6/18/2018 5:03 PM

Just picked up a 2002 RM 125. First 2 stroke I've had since I was on 80's. I have a few questions I'd like to throw out there. Motor and clutch are freshly rebuilt along with some other random things. I've just started tearing it down to inspect everything a bit closer and shine it up a bit. My first question is are there any common issues with these bikes aside from clutch issues, which I know these are pretty notorious for, that I should be on the look out for? It came with a pc exhaust system and the silencer is leaking smoke out of the back part. how do I address that? also the head pipe has a big ol gease/rust stain I can't seem to get out. I got a lot of the smaller blemishes out with this never-dull stuff I picked up at napa, but I think I'll need a rotator cuff operation before I get this big one out. Any suggestions on removing it? I plan on restoring it more on the cosmetic side than anything. I have a seat cover coming from guts, and I'm searching for a new triple clamp that's adjustable. Are there different year models that will fit it? Also looking to put fork guards from a newer model on it. Are any of the 2010+ model fork guards able to fit on there? Also any good places to get stock and aftermarket parts for it? Any help or suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/18/2018 5:19 PM

Just don't cut the plastics. That's what quad guy's do.

|

6/18/2018 5:24 PM

mikec265 wrote:

Just don't cut the plastics. That's what quad guy's do.

The number plates? What do think of the RMZ fender/number plate?

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

6/18/2018 5:31 PM

mikec265 wrote:

Just don't cut the plastics. That's what quad guy's do.

BR8ES wrote:

The number plates? What do think of the RMZ fender/number plate?

They were perfect and uncut on my old RMZs when I still raced.

|

6/18/2018 5:35 PM

If the silencer is bad you should get a Bills pipe and silencer, their specialty is Suzuki. You won't be disappointed.

|

6/18/2018 5:38 PM

PC Pipe was good on that bike. The mark I think is the chrome worn off, so it won't polish out.

If its smoky or dripping oil from the tail pipe lean the pilot and needle

|

6/18/2018 7:07 PM

Looks like melted plastic on the header. Heat it up with a torch and see if it’ll burn off. You can fix any discoloration with scotchbrite afterwards.

Take apart the silencer entirely and use a small bead of hi-temp copper epoxy where the smoke is leaking. Add fresh packing and it’ll be good to go.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

6/18/2018 7:33 PM

mxjon454 wrote:

If the silencer is bad you should get a Bills pipe and silencer, their specialty is Suzuki. You won't be disappointed.

I've been looking into a bills system. I'll have to price them out. Turns out whoever had the bike prior jimmy rigged the pipe and silencer together and it looks pretty janky

|

6/18/2018 7:37 PM

I just got the scuff on the pipe to buff out for the most part. i believe it was indeed melted plastic. i just scrubbed the crap out of it with a bunch of different stuff and eventually it came off. where the header and the silencer meet it looks like someone put a rubber boot over it and then took two wires and wired it down much like you would for grips. Safe to assume that's not original?

|

6/18/2018 8:07 PM

kawigoon321 wrote:

I just got the scuff on the pipe to buff out for the most part. i believe it was indeed melted plastic. i just scrubbed the crap out of it with a bunch of different stuff and eventually it came off. where the header and the silencer meet it looks like someone put a rubber boot over it and then took two wires and wired it down much like you would for grips. Safe to assume that's not original?

It is original and has to be there to operate properly. When I reassembled my exhaust i cleaned it out with hot soapy water and got similar clamps from my local hardware store to ensure a tight seal. Good as new.

|

6/18/2018 9:49 PM

I just sold my 02 a few years ago. They are known to detonate. After learning the hard way, I had Varner recut my head. His advice was to always run 96 plus octane. I went 50/50 with race gas and had no more issues.

|

6/18/2018 10:24 PM

Do you have to change up your Oil/fuel mix ratio when you start increasing octane?

|

6/18/2018 10:36 PM

Run 100 plus octane gas, HD clutch springs. Check the basket for wear. Like most 2 strokes, keep an eye on the reeds. If you want to moto, gear it down with at least 12/51 sprockets to tighten the gap between gears, way more fun that way. The PC pipe works well, don't spend money where you don't have to. There are top clamps out their with rubber bar mounts that you can turn around. Check to see if your bike has 47 or 49mm showas. The 01-03 250 used KYB so you will want an 04 or later, they went Showa that year. There are also RG clamps, etc, out there on ebay, that's where I got mine. Cheap too. I added a flywheel weight to mine to reduce stalling and broaden the power so it does not run through the powerband so quick. It really helped. I added an oversized rotor. Would do great nose wheelies.
They all come stock way rich. Pilots are always fat. Check your jetting, then go to MXA website and get their jetting. It's for sea level though. Both springs are too soft for anyone over 150 lbs. Go stiffer if you ride even a little hard. There are two seats, a standard and a tall out there. If you can reach the ground, the taller seat is almost flat. I'm 5'9" and I had the tall seat on both my 125 and 250 RM's. I'm sure I'm missing some more stuff....

|

6/18/2018 10:39 PM

A quick pic of my 03 125.......... Photo

|

6/19/2018 3:15 AM

kawigoon321 wrote:

I just got the scuff on the pipe to buff out for the most part. i believe it was indeed melted plastic. i just scrubbed the crap out of it with a bunch of different stuff and eventually it came off. where the header and the silencer meet it looks like someone put a rubber boot over it and then took two wires and wired it down much like you would for grips. Safe to assume that's not original?

As said above, it’s original. You may want to replace it if it leaks spooge from there as they can stretch and wear out after awhile, letting spooge leak.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

6/19/2018 1:06 PM

Awesome grab. Here is my 02.

Photo
Photo

|

6/19/2018 6:03 PM

WOW THIS SUSZUKIS LOOK LIKE SOME OF THE BEST BIKES YOU CAN SEE. WE THINKED OF GETTING 1 FOR MY NEXT BIKE IF WE COUD GET IT LOW ENUFF TO THE GROUND BUT GET SCARED IF WE SLIEDED THE FORKS ALL THE WAY UP IT WOUD GET HEAD SHAKE ON THE STRATES SO WE LOOK FOR THE RARIST RM100

|

suszuki rm85

6/29/2018 7:30 PM

Cancerman wrote:

Run 100 plus octane gas, HD clutch springs. Check the basket for wear. Like most 2 strokes, keep an eye on the reeds. If you want to moto, gear it down with at least 12/51 sprockets to tighten the gap between gears, way more fun that way. The PC pipe works well, don't spend money where you don't have to. There are top clamps out their with rubber bar mounts that you can turn around. Check to see if your bike has 47 or 49mm showas. The 01-03 250 used KYB so you will want an 04 or later, they went Showa that year. There are also RG clamps, etc, out there on ebay, that's where I got mine. Cheap too. I added a flywheel weight to mine to reduce stalling and broaden the power so it does not run through the powerband so quick. It really helped. I added an oversized rotor. Would do great nose wheelies.
They all come stock way rich. Pilots are always fat. Check your jetting, then go to MXA website and get their jetting. It's for sea level though. Both springs are too soft for anyone over 150 lbs. Go stiffer if you ride even a little hard. There are two seats, a standard and a tall out there. If you can reach the ground, the taller seat is almost flat. I'm 5'9" and I had the tall seat on both my 125 and 250 RM's. I'm sure I'm missing some more stuff....

Much appreciated info. Your bike and Jblains bikes are bad ass. Thanks everyone for the help

|

6/29/2018 7:35 PM

check the frame for cracks

|

6/29/2018 7:41 PM

Nice Pineapple !!!

|

6/29/2018 7:42 PM

cable wrote:

check the frame for cracks

I did a rudimentary check prior to buying it and it looked good. I tore it down when I got it home and did a more rigorous inspection and it all looked good. It was as clean as I hoped it would be. I'm having so much fun with it so far

|

6/29/2018 7:47 PM

Photo


Cleaned up and a new guts seat cover
|

6/30/2018 10:01 AM

Get jetting close before installing new pipe/silencer, to keep it clean inside. Also, can run 2 base or head gaskets for pump gas, then get the compression/squish checked to make it run on any fuel you choose.

|