Dakar 18 The Game! (Edit: New free DLC. Best trails ever!)

flatout111
Edited Date/Time 8/21/2019 6:05am
Just firing up Dakar 18 and, of course,selected Andrew Short. Keefer will be glad to know that Ricky Brabec is also in the game. Smile

Control is pretty limited to just throttle, braking, steering but the game is hard as hell. At least to me it is. In bikes, you have no co-pilot so you must navigate visually by the road book alone and I am still learning about CAPS and positioning as well as warnings and danger zones. Also nice to see that damage is a huge part of the game.

I'm honestly new to Dakar but it's nice to have an off road game with an objective instead of just free riding (which I find boring) and guys, this navigating stuff is no joke and you can tell that the navigation part of it is COMPLETE simulation. I am on Rookie and seriously struggling. It's not about going fast. And it's not about super realistic physics but more about navigation, preserving the vehicle and not getting yourself in trouble such as getting stuck in mud, sand, etc. It's about not getting lost. Lol. A nice change of pace. Just getting started, though so I'm all new to the game as well as the sport.

Here's a pic of Shorty on his Factory Rockstar Husqvarna FR450 Rally bike.

Any one else picking it up?
|
flatout111
9/26/2018 7:38am
Also, not to take a jab at Nordic and Rainbow, but it is weird how nearly EVERYONE....(even a small company like Big Moon)....can get licensed replica bikes and gear in their games (Red Bull, KTM, Honda,Yamaha and Husqvarna) free of charge but Nordic/Rainbow just never does. I don't mind paying for OEM or the excellent RC bike but just kinda saying.

Anyway....back to Dakar. I'm so lost. Lol.
flatout111
9/26/2018 8:34am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 8:36am
You can also set it to manual shifting but I'm not even going there yet.

Let's get this out of the way. This isn't really a game about rider weight or great physics. There is no second stick control and even the left stick doesn't control leaning forward or back. It is pretty simple as far as the rider's reaction and bike control. However you do have to brake, a lot, you have to go pretty slow at times...or in my case a lot...and I am still trying to figure out the road book. I can see it being frustrating until I figure it out.

But it is pretty fascinating at the same time and I like it a lot. One cool thing is like when I crashed and got pitched from the bike you can literally roam around GTA style and go where you want on foot and have to manually get back on the bike.

I really need to understand reading a road book more. Big Moon put a link up a while back explaining road books to those new to Dakar. I think I need to look it up.

When on track I get the go 18 km and then sharp left but when there in no track it is pretty perplexing. It would be easier to play with a vehicle with a navigator but honestly I don't want to do that. So, trial by fire.
Stuntman949
9/26/2018 8:51am
My copy is supposed to be delivered today and I'm enthralled. The graphics and physics aren't insanely good, but damn great for a small studio that plans on expanding the game down the road. Being a total offroad nerd, this game has me over the moon with excitement. 16,000 square kilometers over the course of the maps? Insanity. I can't stand 1st person riding in motorcycle games because the physics are so goofy but this game might change my mind. Pretty cool to navigate with just the road book and cap heading. I also plan on starting the career on the expert level. Don't really care how I finish.

The Shop

flatout111
9/26/2018 9:41am
Good luck with expert. If you don't hit all or most checkpoints you won't complete stage. I'm learning but find myself sometimes following other riders to not get lost. Andrew said he did same thing in certain sections.
peelout
9/26/2018 10:04am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 10:12am
looks sick

i've been following this one for a while now, not really too interested in the physics to be honest. i think getting the sense of navigation will be fun. i'll have to download it asap.

if anything it will keep me busy until Red Dead 2 comes out
flatout111
9/26/2018 10:08am
Yeah, physics are nowhere near MVA or even Milestone. Nowhere near but the game is about navigation and its really, really hard. Which is great. Looks great, too.
Stuntman949
9/26/2018 10:22am
Can you at least shift your weight back and forth?
flatout111
9/26/2018 10:44am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 10:48am
Just cased a jump on a dune and damaged front tire and radiator. It costs you time to repair damage. Nice.

The sand sections slow you to a crawl. Very cool.

No, no shifting of weight. You sorta have to think the old school MX Superfly games when it comes to bike control. I think the game was made mainly with the vehicles in mind, not so much bikes. Also a real lack of force feedback in the game which does kinda bum me out. Still, it is nice to ride thru trails and TRY to navigate in the open desert on the bike. This is NOT a twist the throttle all the time game. I find myself going very slow just to make the checkpoints and not get lost. It's a different animal. Don't let the no weight of the rider thing throw you. This is a completely different style game than any MX game. But that's a good thing.
greenmx5
9/26/2018 10:48am
flatout111 wrote:
Also, not to take a jab at Nordic and Rainbow, but it is weird how nearly EVERYONE....(even a small company like Big Moon)....can get licensed replica...
Also, not to take a jab at Nordic and Rainbow, but it is weird how nearly EVERYONE....(even a small company like Big Moon)....can get licensed replica bikes and gear in their games (Red Bull, KTM, Honda,Yamaha and Husqvarna) free of charge but Nordic/Rainbow just never does. I don't mind paying for OEM or the excellent RC bike but just kinda saying.

Anyway....back to Dakar. I'm so lost. Lol.
That's because Nordic has always been about squeezing every dollar out of their product possible. It's kind of obvious
flatout111
9/26/2018 11:03am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2018 11:04am
Whew, the road book icon index is daunting. Especially if new to Dakar. I'll try to find it in the game and post a pic. It is insane the amount of signals that you have to learn.

I am bummed at the lack of force feedback. That's my biggest letdown so far. I wanted to feel rough the terrain is and it's just not there.

I'm also on the Pisco stages which are very sandy, dune-ish. Looking forward to more tough terrain, maybe with rocks or bush. I'm hoping someone else on here will get the game. I either suck or it is mega hard just to try to stay on point with navigation and not miss waypoints. Lol. having fun, though. Like I said...it's way different. A good way to learn about this form of racing as well.
flatout111
9/26/2018 11:09am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/26/289682/s1200_1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/26/289683/s1200_2.jpg[/img]

There you go. Omg. Hopefully all that isn't necessary to learn by heart to sorta be successful at this game.
flatout111
9/26/2018 11:44am
Wow, on Pisco Stage 2 and some of the sandy dune sections you have to get hard on the brakes. I'm honestly trying to follow another rider while I come to grips with the whole navigation system and even that is real hard. You have to go slow thru certain sections. And though there isn't much air you better not over jump something or you will damage bike.

Peelout, you got the game yet, dude?
billyp330
9/27/2018 7:51am
This game looks pretty cool. I see they have a PC version too so I might have to pick up a copy and try it.
flatout111
9/27/2018 8:12am
Big Moon told me that the forthcoming patch on consoles addresses a lot of issues including lack of force feedback and a ton of other things.

For all the moto guys though don't expect great bike physics. It's not there. But bear in mind that almost everything in this game is four wheeled and the game seems built around that. Still, they've got the speed and scale correct and the navigation is a true challenge plus you must take care of your vehicle. And steep sections feel steep and are difficult as are sand and mud sections which you have to fight to get thru.

It's the first true off road game for bikes with a purpose as far as I remember. It's not just fast as hell freeriding which I pretty much hate. You have a lot to do and navigation is tough.

There's a lot to like about the game and the first patch looks to make a major difference as well. Coming soon.
Stuntman949
9/27/2018 8:32am
Just finished stage 2 in 1:04:00 just to have it say I missed too many checkpoints. There was a little canyon I didn't stay in around 81KM and that threw me off enough. Looking back at the French translation, I was supposed to stay in, not just head straight to Cap 172. Oh well. I'll try again. Certainly getting my money's worth!
flatout111
9/28/2018 10:40am
I can't wait to play this stage. It's dark, rainy and looks pretty technical.

This will be a beast if on anything other than Rookie mode with zero assists.

https://youtu.be/r2e2wCaJU2c

Can't get it to upload video on mobile.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/28/2018 10:49am
flatout111 wrote:
Whew, the road book icon index is daunting. Especially if new to Dakar. I'll try to find it in the game and post a pic. It...
Whew, the road book icon index is daunting. Especially if new to Dakar. I'll try to find it in the game and post a pic. It is insane the amount of signals that you have to learn.

I am bummed at the lack of force feedback. That's my biggest letdown so far. I wanted to feel rough the terrain is and it's just not there.

I'm also on the Pisco stages which are very sandy, dune-ish. Looking forward to more tough terrain, maybe with rocks or bush. I'm hoping someone else on here will get the game. I either suck or it is mega hard just to try to stay on point with navigation and not miss waypoints. Lol. having fun, though. Like I said...it's way different. A good way to learn about this form of racing as well.
You're also having to translate to/from French. That doesn't help. D/G isn't quite the same for us as R/L.
Helda
9/28/2018 5:49pm
All the Dakar road books are in French so it makes sense so you get the real feeling for it.
Hcallz5
9/28/2018 6:22pm
That looks pretty dang fun. It would be awesome if the makers of Dirt Rally made a GNCC or hare scramble type game.
flatout111
9/28/2018 6:51pm
flatout111 wrote:
Whew, the road book icon index is daunting. Especially if new to Dakar. I'll try to find it in the game and post a pic. It...

GuyB wrote:
You're also having to translate to/from French. That doesn't help. D/G isn't quite the same for us as R/L.
It's mainly symbols so it's not that hard but there are a heckuva lot of them.

I remember Shorty talking about how he would literally study it for three days prior to Dakar. Not committed to memory but for sure familiarizing. Plus the riders color the road books according to their color schemes.

It's a far cry from motocross. But man, I admire the skill it takes to navigate like this in such isolated areas.
flatout111
9/28/2018 7:05pm
Helda wrote:
All the Dakar road books are in French so it makes sense so you get the real feeling for it.
Agreed. No, the physics aren't any where near the level of the mx games were used to but the road book is straight up simulation. I'm glad they didn't dumb it down. Navigating is hard in real life so it should be here.

I'm on Rookie mode still and it has a cheater map basically that it tells you right off the bat is not what the real riders have. After I get a bit more accustomed I'll move it to simulation but man I know it's going to be crazy hard.

But considering the ease of most dirt bike games I really look forward to something being hard yet not ridiculously frustrating physics wise.
jemcee
9/29/2018 2:30am
I'm glad I watched this video cause at first I had absolutely zero clue how to read a road book haha but now I get it.. Looks like a pretty fun game
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
9/29/2018 3:03am
What the fuck, the stage was 35km and he finished it in like 5 minutes, lol.
Helda
9/29/2018 3:05am
What do you play this game on?

Post a reply to: Dakar 18 The Game! (Edit: New free DLC. Best trails ever!)

The Latest