Just an idea… please help!

Tyler_Coff303
Edited Date/Time 8/13/2021 6:10pm
Hello everyone!

If someone were to bring a mobile power washing trailer to races or practices would you guys pay to have your bikes washed? if so how much is the max you would pay?
|
hbdesigns913
8/12/2021 7:38pm
There is a market for it. Probably more like take the bike. Clean it. change the oil and clean the filter. Then the owner picks it up at your shop. But for me, I will never pay anyone to wash my bike or cut my grass. I gotta draw the line.

The Shop

Moto520
8/12/2021 7:58pm
$15 if she has an average amount of mud. I just paid $10 at the car wash due to high levels of mud and ocd
Richy
8/13/2021 5:43am
I'd think you'd do better to have a legit fixed wash bay at a track with a couple of set ups, like those franchise car washes you see at supermarkets.

I'm an idiot business wise though, as proven by being busy as fuck and still broke a lot of the time haha, so disregard as appropriate, just food for thought.

Most track owners wouldn't spend their time with it, so maybe open to a deal for a kick back.
8/13/2021 6:13am
I think you have a solid idea there. I think $10 is a decent rate but I would not take the risk of you doing the washing. If the customer washes the bike themselves that takes away liability from you if parts are ruined, bikes won't start and blame it on you getting water in odd places, etc. If you could run some sort of auto timer on your wash rig so that say $10 gets you a preset amount of time to wash that would keep your water usage under control. Then of course, where ever you park you'd need to be able to get rid of all the water without making a swamp for yourself or others in the pits.
ZOBITO
8/13/2021 6:27am
Don't know why, I always loved washing my bike after riding, maybe even more when it's muddy...
I find it relaxing...
Laughing
Preston412
8/13/2021 6:52am
Is the track owner/promoter going to charge you a vendor fee? Do you need to use their water? That changes what you need to charge and I would do it has an All Day fee and not per wash.
Example only.
5 cleanings per race day. Good Weather. 1 practice, 4 moto's. After practice cleaning will be a given due to the track being freshly prepped and over water. The other 4 will depend on track condition because less prep as the day goes on so you may not get a come back after practice until it is time to clean up and go home. So, I paid for 5 but only used you twice but if conditions are muddy all day, not so good weather, then I use all 5 but you are charging more for muddy conditions. No pro rated refunds if you did not use all 5 cleanings.
Helmet and boots are free with paid cleanings. Chain lubed free as well but some may be picky about what lube you are using.
For walk ups, helmet is $2, boots $5 and bike $10-good weather, $20 bad weather.

Figure out your cost and profit margin and go from there and as stated, I would do per day to secure the revenue.
flarider
8/13/2021 7:16am
$25 including filter (not oiled)

$15 soap and brush

$10 soap and spray only

flarider
8/13/2021 7:18am
add $5 for a compressed air blow dry
Hammer 663s
8/13/2021 7:27am
There’s a guy did this at Albany Mx a few weeks ago. I think it was $5 a bike good for the day (multiple washes). I didn’t take advantage of it and should have. He was busy all day from what I saw.

Hammer 663s
8/13/2021 7:27am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2021 7:29am
NO

Let me do some simple math for you. Even if you washed 10 bikes per day, at $25 per bike, you're only making $250. Deduct gas, supplies, track vendor fees, and you're barely making any money. And working pretty hard.

You can only wash one bike at a time. How are you going to manage 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 bikes at a time? How are you going to make any money if you're not washing more than 2 bikes? I don't have the patience to wait for you to wash other bikes before mine, especially after I'm done riding. I'd rather go home, crack a beer and wash my own bike. I don't know that I would trust someone in a rush with a pressure washer.

I suggest focusing your entrepreneurial energy on another idea. Mobile car wash perhaps. People pay a lot of money for a good, reliable mobile car wash.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/13/2021 7:27am
What are your rates on cleaning boots?

Wink
Cheaper to outsource that service overseas
Question
8/13/2021 7:32am

That can be a good idea but the issue I see is water. It can be an automatic and closed machine, or the owner washing the bike with a hot water pressure washer (if you plan to do it, I would not, the liability is high, I remember helping out a friend with a ktm freeride, first time I do it for someone else, and ... of course the bike would not start, crazy as i had been very gentle on the washing, and fortunately it was at my buddy's place and he is a mechanic). So the main issue will be the water, especially used water, where it goes, particularly if using all kind of washing chemicals. To be within the regulations may not easy on that part, and the fines for not following them may be costly in a culture that is more and more eco friendly.
captmoto
8/13/2021 7:37am
Some of you guys seem to want full service on race day. We don't deal with a lot of mud here so some days I'll just scrape off what I can with a mud tool. I wouldn't mind spraying my bike down but on a one day race it's too much hassle for me. For 2 day events I'll take my toy hauler and electric power washer.
Glen Helen tried coin op washers but they seem to take a beating. Milestone had one and it was nice to at least blast off the big chunks before the drive home.
Good idea though, good luck with it.
Bruce372
8/13/2021 7:38am
I built a setup to wash my bike at the track, using a gas washer and a 35 gallon tank on the back of the truck.

On a good day, we can wash both bikes with around 20 gallons, when it's muddy, it takes the entire 35 gallons for both bikes.

Also, bikes are never properly clean if the pits are dirt and not gravel.
Crash217
8/13/2021 8:55am
The porta potty guy at my sprint enduro races would wash bikes for people, $5-10 per. He usually showed up a couple hours after the awards had been given out so it just a handful of people still hanging out, most would take him up on the wash when they saw him. I kept trying to get him to come a couple hours earlier to get more business, but he didn't care enough to do more, would have required a bigger water tank on his truck and trailer.
Rupert X
8/13/2021 8:56am
I could give a fat rats ass about a bike washing, but I’d readily pay $20 for air-filter service, I despise that activity and I believe most Moto-Freaks feel similarly. Here’s some pics from Steel City, 2001.

Spudnut
8/13/2021 8:58am
ZOBITO wrote:
Don't know why, I always loved washing my bike after riding, maybe even more when it's muddy...
I find it relaxing...
Laughing
This! Love pulling in gettin my sandwich and a few uh “herbal supplements” Maybe a nap then heading out to the shop to spay the bike and boots off and do some maintenance while listening to a podcast And sipping on my coffee
Man I really need to ride...only 1.5 months from freedom
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/13/2021 9:09am
There was a dude at the World Mini in '99 or so who was pressure washing bikes for $5 a pop. $5 each time, every time.
He had a line of bikes all day long, after every moto. If I had to guess, I'd say he grossed about $500 a day.
DynoDan22
8/13/2021 9:13am
I've always wanted to open a bike "spa". Charge per month and customers drop the bike off after the weekend ride. You would get a de-ionized water wash with plastics removed, air dry with compressor, and the obligatory SC1 shine. change air filter, check fasteners, chain etc and prep for the next ride.

I do this to my own bikes every weekend anyways. Not much overhead just grind labor. I pamper my bikes as it is. If our wives go to the spa to get pampered, we should be able to have our bikes receive the same treatment. Haha
Kenny Lingus
8/13/2021 10:42am
It could work. The biggest hurdle I see is the profitability would highly dependent on location. For example, here in NY, you would need so much equipment, water, man power etc. because of the usual muddy practice in the morning. To get them done fast enough would be hard to do. It takes some time to get all that mud off. Low overhead and high volume is the only way I see to make a profit. Going to have to assume the track will want a cut and if it works they might just do it themselves next year. Seen stuff like that happen.
VetRider97
8/13/2021 11:04am
I assume you are providing your labor washing bike? If so Nada $ for me, I take care of my own stuff so I know what's being done. Maybe some would pay $10-$20 but I can imagine the crap you would get from some for some hat it isn't clean enough or you got water in air box. To do a good job washing bike it can take 15-30 minutes in your time plus power washer wear/tear/fuel and mobile tow vehicle cost. .

If you are doing races....especially muddy practice or races and you are simply providing washers and water that may work if you have capacity for multiple washers and limit time per wash.

In either case don't give up your day job.Wink

brocster
8/13/2021 11:42am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2021 11:59am
I had the same idea, mostly from the POS that was at Milestone that hardly ever worked. I don’t have a place to wash it at home and don’t like to put my bike in the garage dirty so I have located a few coin washes around town. Sucks though b/c people get pissed when you pull in and unload a dirtbike.

However, i have thought of a trailer with a water tank and washer attached and a wash your own kind of deal but my issue is water. I don’t want to tow a couple hundred gallons of water around and I’m sure the track wouldn’t let me fill up my tank for free so to have to pay for the water that cuts into the profit as well as the gas mileage and wear and tear if I were to have to haul it.

All that being said. If I could pay to wash my bike at the track, I would. We are lucky here in California as there rarely have “mud”. Dirt is light and comes off easy.
mxtech1
8/13/2021 12:30pm
Seems risky.

What happens when you wash someone's bike between motos and water gets into an electrical connection and it won't start resulting in the rider missing a race? That "customer" is going to pissed off and blow you out in front of everyone in the pits. Even if it's not directly your fault, it will happen at some point in time. Are you going to refund them the money you charged and race entry fee?

Are you going to pull the seat and use an airbox filter cover to guarantee water won't accidentally ingress into the intake?

Will you blow off the bike with air, wipe it down, and lubricate needed items after the wash?

I'm not attempting to discourage you from having a side hustle at the track, but you need to think of these things and how you would handle them. To me, a good wash job is not just as simple as rolling it into your rig, power-washing the piss out of it, and then rolling it back to the customer. I would guess each bike is going to take about 20 minutes to do a proper job (wash, scrub, rinse, blow off, lubricate, start it up) so if you are lucky you might be able to do 3 per hour. If that was the case, I don't think I would even touch a bike for less than $15 ($45/hr gross)
yota
8/13/2021 12:42pm
not going to trust someone I don't know to power wash my bike. too easy to ruin bearings and get water where it doesn't belong. as to messing with my filter. hell no;
PNWRider
8/13/2021 1:54pm
What are your rates on cleaning boots?

Wink
Tough to compete when the one guy will do it free…LaughingLaughingLaughing
nytsmaC
8/13/2021 2:12pm
yota wrote:
not going to trust someone I don't know to power wash my bike. too easy to ruin bearings and get water where it doesn't belong. as...
not going to trust someone I don't know to power wash my bike. too easy to ruin bearings and get water where it doesn't belong. as to messing with my filter. hell no;
This was my first thought too. Do you want to be in the position of being blamed when someone’s bike won’t start after you wash it?

Post a reply to: Just an idea… please help!

The Latest