Just an idea for SX format

After reading some comments on the Silly Season article by RacerX, I noticed some people talking about if they made 450 split East/west too. Now I personally don't like this because I want to know who the best 450 sx rider is each year. so what if (don't murder me) what if they did 14 rounds of e/w coasts for both classes, crowned a champ for each coast after those rounds (4 champions), then the last 3 rounds the points would reset for the grand championship between top 20 in points from each coast in each class (2 grand champions).

This could obviously be adjusted but you get the idea. I like supercross how it is personally, this is just an idea I threw around in my head as an alternative to the talks of a longer sx season or a NASCAR style playoff format which I don't like.

|
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/5/2017 8:05am
Why not have 22 divisions then everyone on the gate can be a champion.
RangerLee
10/5/2017 10:14am
LOL.

Honestly, keep the 450 class as one season, no split. 250's should have more than one E/W shootout. Make it worth more towards the championship then just the last race. The 250s run the same format they did last year with a single moto for the main.

I think seeing how a two moto main event goes for the 450s' like the out doors would be good, make them two 15 minute motos.

Finally, here is where I will get flamed on vital, increase the podium size to 5. Perhaps it is the wrestler in me that see's "place" winners awarded down to 7 places in State and national competition, and like Wrestling, it is only one guy on the bike come race time.

It still takes a team to get that person there and make sure the rider and machine are ready, but it is an individual sport once the gate drops. So reward that, the top 5 get to be on the podium because after all, how many of us would have loved to be one of the top 5 riders in a SX race? That would make you part of an elite group.
10/5/2017 10:32am
6 Race "West", 6 Race "East", 6 race 250 combined to finish the season. Top 20 from each East and West are eligible. Only crown 1 250 Champ.
10/5/2017 10:35am
250's are already structured to give this a try so they should give it a try there first. 6 rounds each region and a 5 race 250 SX Championship series at the end. Best man wins.

The Shop

goonrider
10/5/2017 11:00am
250 Class
- Award 2 pts for Heat Race Wins
- Heat Race winners must pick from outside the doghouse for the main event.

450 Class

- Create "Team" Championship Title instead of the Constructors title. Top 2 Riders on your team points count towards the championship.
In this scenario it would benefit teams to have 3 riders to maximize their odds of capturing the top 2 points paying riders. More factory bikes mean more quality rides for people.
If a team of 2 riders suddenly loses a rider to injury, it would make sense for that a team hire a replacement rider to earn more points towards the championship instead of letting a factory bike sit there collecting dust. Fill in riders would become more valuable and it would more likely provide more opportunity rides for those looking to prove their talents on factory or semi factory equipment. What can a guy like Nick Schmidt do on a factory bike? Mookie? Faith?
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/5/2017 11:02am
goonrider wrote:
250 Class - Award 2 pts for Heat Race Wins - Heat Race winners must pick from outside the doghouse for the main event. 450 Class...
250 Class

450 Class

- Create "Team" Championship Title instead of the Constructors title. Top 2 Riders on your team points count towards the championship.
In this scenario it would benefit teams to have 3 riders to maximize their odds of capturing the top 2 points paying riders. More factory bikes mean more quality rides for people.
If a team of 2 riders suddenly loses a rider to injury, it would make sense for that a team hire a replacement rider to earn more points towards the championship instead of letting a factory bike sit there collecting dust. Fill in riders would become more valuable and it would more likely provide more opportunity rides for those looking to prove their talents on factory or semi factory equipment. What can a guy like Nick Schmidt do on a factory bike? Mookie? Faith?
100k team bonus?
samifan
10/5/2017 11:53am
Don't murder me either, but I've been thinking what if they did a sort of "bike champion" instead of "rider champion" like they do in Nascar I think. So the way we have it now, when a rider gets hurt and has to miss a round or two, they are basically out of the championship. So what if they could fill his spot for a race or two, or a half a season or whatever, and the replacement rider earns points for that particular teams bike. It would encourage the big teams to employ more top riders, and when they have multiple guys in the hunt, it would encourage them to hire top privateer replacements instead of sliding a guy over. Just a thought!
MohMoto14
10/5/2017 12:15pm
RangerLee wrote:
LOL. Honestly, keep the 450 class as one season, no split. 250's should have more than one E/W shootout. Make it worth more towards the championship...
LOL.

Honestly, keep the 450 class as one season, no split. 250's should have more than one E/W shootout. Make it worth more towards the championship then just the last race. The 250s run the same format they did last year with a single moto for the main.

I think seeing how a two moto main event goes for the 450s' like the out doors would be good, make them two 15 minute motos.

Finally, here is where I will get flamed on vital, increase the podium size to 5. Perhaps it is the wrestler in me that see's "place" winners awarded down to 7 places in State and national competition, and like Wrestling, it is only one guy on the bike come race time.

It still takes a team to get that person there and make sure the rider and machine are ready, but it is an individual sport once the gate drops. So reward that, the top 5 get to be on the podium because after all, how many of us would have loved to be one of the top 5 riders in a SX race? That would make you part of an elite group.
Glad to see another wrestler around here, I like alot of sports but the individual part of these 2 sports is what I love. The mindset for wrestling is very similar to Moto as well as the physical part. Any kid who lives where the winters are harsh and can't afford to move South should wrestle, the first race in spring you'll run laps around everyone.

On the main topic of format change I would like to see more combined 250 east vs west but no way would I want to see 450's split. I wouldn't mind maybe 2-3 double headers with 2 nights of racing. Also wouldn't mind there being a round or two of a monster energy cup style with more than one main only without the joker lane. Double header could reduce the amount of rounds and provide the same amount of races. 3 double headers is 3 less weekends on schedule. maybe it would make mxon a little more appealing for Americans.
Acidreamer
10/5/2017 1:12pm
I think the only changes needed is to combine the east and west coast and replace the vegas round with monster cup as a finale of the season. Let the guys have more time in the fall for des nations.
racerx217
10/5/2017 2:03pm
open practice, everyone on the track at the same time, best lap time wins
Braaaphole
10/5/2017 3:13pm
samifan wrote:
Don't murder me either, but I've been thinking what if they did a sort of "bike champion" instead of "rider champion" like they do in Nascar...
Don't murder me either, but I've been thinking what if they did a sort of "bike champion" instead of "rider champion" like they do in Nascar I think. So the way we have it now, when a rider gets hurt and has to miss a round or two, they are basically out of the championship. So what if they could fill his spot for a race or two, or a half a season or whatever, and the replacement rider earns points for that particular teams bike. It would encourage the big teams to employ more top riders, and when they have multiple guys in the hunt, it would encourage them to hire top privateer replacements instead of sliding a guy over. Just a thought!
I despise that rule in nascar. However, nascar is very different in that the car and setup are far more important than the driver. In SX, we all know it's more about the rider than the bike.
goonrider
10/6/2017 10:18am
goonrider wrote:
250 Class - Award 2 pts for Heat Race Wins - Heat Race winners must pick from outside the doghouse for the main event. 450 Class...
250 Class

450 Class

early wrote:
100k team bonus?
100k is not enough. 1million is more like it. What team wouldn't fight for that million? 1st = 1 Million, 2nd = 250k, 3rd = 100k.
RandyS
10/6/2017 12:42pm
If there is going to be a 250 class that allows factory riders and teams it should be all 17 rounds, the east/west was a good idea but it didn't keep east riders east, and west riders west. Maybe have 4 regional champions crowned out of the 250 class for riders not doing the entire series. They're not eligible for the main 250 title although they may do more up to a set number of rounds, only the 4 rounds in their region count. Best of those 4 at Vegas is the overall regional champion. Make 250 a national title like outdoors.
mark_swart
10/6/2017 12:59pm
RangerLee wrote:
LOL. Honestly, keep the 450 class as one season, no split. 250's should have more than one E/W shootout. Make it worth more towards the championship...
LOL.

I don't know about a top 5 podium, but I think they should certainly build time into the TV broadcast to make sure the top 5 get interviewed!!!
RangerLee
10/9/2017 11:04am
goonrider wrote:
250 Class

450 Class

early wrote:
100k team bonus?
goonrider wrote:
100k is not enough. 1million is more like it. What team wouldn't fight for that million? 1st = 1 Million, 2nd = 250k, 3rd = 100k.
Where is the money going to come from?

Is Feld just sitting on a massive pile of cash that nobody knows about?
chaseodc
10/9/2017 11:12am
goonrider wrote:
250 Class

450 Class

I had offered up this type of plan a few years back.. It would offer a whole other level to the TV time for teams or riders being that if you were talking about Rider A in the lead.. Rider B in 12th place will get mentioned as part of the team championship. Also breathes something to the B Main concept as that race could pay points towards the team championship as well..
TXDirt
10/9/2017 1:25pm
Pay some championship points in the heats.

Then invert the gate picks for the main events.

Been beating this horse for years...

Too much emphasis is placed on the first 75 feet of the race. Makes the remaining 20 laps a bit of a snoozer a lot of the times.
downard254
10/9/2017 2:21pm
Only change I think needs made is points awarded for heat race wins. Then you’ll see boys putting more effort into a heat race. Other than that, it ain’t broke. Let’s race boys.

Post a reply to: Just an idea for SX format

The Latest