Just a thought on Herlings new post.

Racer142
Edited Date/Time 10/9/2018 4:41pm
So we all know he stayed in MX2 to build up wins to pass SE72 on all time wins and there was talk about him coming to America to race until the femur injury that cost him a title and now the win record is his sole goal. With that said and in light of his new post what would mean more: beating SE72 win record or coming to America and winning the ama title. He just openly said he's the FMOTP so with that statement shouldn't he aspire to be a champion in both of the most highly recognized series in the world and throw SX in there?

I know this is going to devolve into a MXGP vs AMA thread but that's not the intent. I'm just curious which path in his career would make more of a statement in the course of history. We all talk about how no AMA riders go to the GP in their prime but through history none of the GP riders come here while winning titles over there such as TC222, SE72, and now JH84. (I know RV2 tried but we all know that was his going away party and not his prime)
|
10/8/2018 11:18am
He wants to beat Everts GP wins record, he prefers living at home, he gets paid a load of money to bring home WC's.
Turbojez
10/8/2018 11:18am
It would take a couple (at least) of broken bones to get fast enough and more importantly, consistent in SX, and I think he had plenty of injuries already. SX is a steep learning curve, considering risk vs. reward. Herlings is probably more than aware that one mistake could cost a career.

Nationals would be a snooze fest with him in the gate on the other hand Grinning
gt80rider
10/8/2018 11:20am
Can't be FMOTP without winning both an MX & a SX title in the same year, so there's that.... Right now he is only FMOTPOO (Outdoors Only)...
Bermworm
10/8/2018 11:24am
You need to start to realize America means the most only to Americans the rest of the world cares about the world.And MX and SX are really two completely different sports.Don't believe me how many on here have ever ridden a real SX track? I would say less than 5% and thats being very generous(cause I'm not talking local fairgrounds or any type of indoor arena cross)but 99% have ridden MX. Herlings is the FMOTP in MX right now and has the title of World Champion to prove it .He doesn't need to be the US champion any more than he needs to be the Dutch British German Italian Spanish or Canadian champion for that matter because he's the World Champion.Same goes for Prado.

The Shop

10/8/2018 11:24am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 11:25am
gt80rider wrote:
Can't be FMOTP without winning both an MX & a SX title in the same year, so there's that.... Right now he is only FMOTPOO (Outdoors...
Can't be FMOTP without winning both an MX & a SX title in the same year, so there's that.... Right now he is only FMOTPOO (Outdoors Only)...
but a GOAT without a MXGP title is no problem ?? Wink

SX is a sideshow for most euro's ...
10/8/2018 11:31am
First, he didn’t stay down to rack up easy wins. People need to realize the dude was non stop hurt for pretty much two years with some really bad injuries. He won 1 championship in 3 years when everyone called him a sandbagger.

Second, he said FMOTP outdoors, so leave SX out of this already.

And third, there has been plenty and still is a few world champions that have moved from GP’s to the US. Way more than the other way around.
Racer142
10/8/2018 11:40am
I love how people immediately went to defending and ignored the question lol. If ama mx and sx meant nothing to the rest of the world we wouldn't have had countless euros come to ama over the years including Mx2 champions such as KR94 and MM25 and virtually no ama champions go to the gps. But that is irrelevant to the question.

Thet question is which would mean more to the history books. Beating SE72 win record or being the only rider in recent history to win both AMA and MXGP premier class titles.
Racer142
10/8/2018 11:41am
And can somebody with more historical knowledge tell me when was the last time someone did win an AMA and GP premier class title? And who was it?
Ray_MXS
10/8/2018 11:53am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 11:56am
You lost me when you said your national series was "the most highly recognized series in the world".

The best national series in the world? Maybe
The best paid national series in the world? By a long shot.
The most highly recognized series in the world? Not even close.
Maybe for the Americans.

JH makes as good money in the GPs, can live at home and gets the winter off racing.
He couldn't care less about deathcross
JBlain619
10/8/2018 11:53am
Racer142 wrote:
And can somebody with more historical knowledge tell me when was the last time someone did win an AMA and GP premier class title? And who...
And can somebody with more historical knowledge tell me when was the last time someone did win an AMA and GP premier class title? And who was it?
Greg Albertyn I believe.
hellion
10/8/2018 11:59am
Racer142 wrote:
And can somebody with more historical knowledge tell me when was the last time someone did win an AMA and GP premier class title? And who...
JBlain619 wrote:
Greg Albertyn I believe.
And JMB if you add in SX too
mrpiano
10/8/2018 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 12:02pm
I think jh84 could win a supercross world championship title in his rookie season.
No one put there work as hard as he do, no one out there has the Will power like he do, this kid is one of a kind, have you ever seen him ride sand. His flow is flawless and These gnarly sand tracks are way more hard than your flowy supercross tracks.
str8line
10/8/2018 12:03pm

I was just thinking about how Eli and the US riders have to race pretty much year round and how that affects performances. When you look at the number of weekends they race it's pretty insane where as the MXGP have a good chunk time off to rest and recharge/rehabilitate. Why would Herlings take the risk of supercross and subject himself to all that racing? He's not going to get paid more is he?
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
10/8/2018 12:03pm
I don't doubt he's the FMOTP outdoors, dude certainly hauls ass outdoors. I'd love to see him race the AMA series. I will say this though with 100% certainty. If he came to the US and raced SX then MX like the other riders normally do, there is a serious adjustment period to making that change. It's highly likely he would get injured in SX and then not race MX or only partial season of MX. But I would love to have him come race the AMA series. While were at it, bring Geyser (sp?) with him as well as Paulin too.
Racer142
10/8/2018 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 12:05pm
Ray_MXS wrote:
You lost me when you said your national series was "the most highly recognized series in the world". The best national series in the world? Maybe...
You lost me when you said your national series was "the most highly recognized series in the world".

The best national series in the world? Maybe
The best paid national series in the world? By a long shot.
The most highly recognized series in the world? Not even close.
Maybe for the Americans.

JH makes as good money in the GPs, can live at home and gets the winter off racing.
He couldn't care less about deathcross
Reading comprehension is not your thing huh? It clearly says "both of the most highly recognized series in the world"

As I said this post isn't AMA vs GP. It's which would mean more: more wins or wining both of the most important titles.
Racer142
10/8/2018 12:08pm
Racer142 wrote:
JBlain619 wrote:
Greg Albertyn I believe.
Cool info here. Almost 20 years since and virtually nobody has tried it. And the last guy to do it was South African.
10/8/2018 12:47pm
str8line wrote:
I was just thinking about how Eli and the US riders have to race pretty much year round and how that affects performances. When you look...

I was just thinking about how Eli and the US riders have to race pretty much year round and how that affects performances. When you look at the number of weekends they race it's pretty insane where as the MXGP have a good chunk time off to rest and recharge/rehabilitate. Why would Herlings take the risk of supercross and subject himself to all that racing? He's not going to get paid more is he?
The preseason races for the GP riders start in January, and during the GP season they ride national championships on the off weekends. Plus the GP’s are two days. They don’t have it any easier.
10/8/2018 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 12:52pm
gt80rider wrote:
Can't be FMOTP without winning both an MX & a SX title in the same year, so there's that.... Right now he is only FMOTPOO (Outdoors...
How about Tomac stops sand bagging AMA MX and come rides MXGP against the big boys?

Yeah, ignorance works both ways buddy.
omalley
10/8/2018 1:01pm
gt80rider wrote:
The bullshit known as supercross is why we suck outdoors right now.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
10/8/2018 1:01pm
Racer142 wrote:
So we all know he stayed in MX2 to build up wins to pass SE72 on all time wins and there was talk about him coming...
So we all know he stayed in MX2 to build up wins to pass SE72 on all time wins and there was talk about him coming to America to race until the femur injury that cost him a title and now the win record is his sole goal. With that said and in light of his new post what would mean more: beating SE72 win record or coming to America and winning the ama title. He just openly said he's the FMOTP so with that statement shouldn't he aspire to be a champion in both of the most highly recognized series in the world and throw SX in there?

I know this is going to devolve into a MXGP vs AMA thread but that's not the intent. I'm just curious which path in his career would make more of a statement in the course of history. We all talk about how no AMA riders go to the GP in their prime but through history none of the GP riders come here while winning titles over there such as TC222, SE72, and now JH84. (I know RV2 tried but we all know that was his going away party and not his prime)
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but our nationals are not the most recognized in the world, to the majority of the world the GPs are. They like supercross, but to the majority elsewhere its a side show, otherwise more than 2 riders every 4 years would come over.

He didn't stay in the 250 to rack up wins, he stayed because ktm payed him a dumb amount of money to do so.

The guy is the WORLD CHAMP, how much more prestigious can you get?
Ray_MXS
10/8/2018 1:06pm
Racer142 wrote:
Reading comprehension is not your thing huh? It clearly says "both of the most highly recognized series in the world" As I said this post isn't...
Reading comprehension is not your thing huh? It clearly says "both of the most highly recognized series in the world"

As I said this post isn't AMA vs GP. It's which would mean more: more wins or wining both of the most important titles.
You are right, I read that wrong and I apologize.

But as stated, JH84 makes just as much money now as he would in the US, he gets to stay at home during the weeks, he has a shorter racing season, gets to travel the world and avoids the injurytrap deathcross.

I might see him do outdoors after he beats the record, just to make his history stamp even bigger
RG95
10/8/2018 1:09pm
Racer142 wrote:
So we all know he stayed in MX2 to build up wins to pass SE72 on all time wins and there was talk about him coming...

What I gather from your post is: "for me he's not the fastest man on the planet" else you just wouldn't have opened this topic. Just say it.
So who's the fastest man on the planet at the moment for you? Tomac?
10/8/2018 1:17pm
Racer142 wrote:
Tortelli?
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
10/8/2018 1:20pm
Racer142 wrote:
I love how people immediately went to defending and ignored the question lol. If ama mx and sx meant nothing to the rest of the world...
I love how people immediately went to defending and ignored the question lol. If ama mx and sx meant nothing to the rest of the world we wouldn't have had countless euros come to ama over the years including Mx2 champions such as KR94 and MM25 and virtually no ama champions go to the gps. But that is irrelevant to the question.

Thet question is which would mean more to the history books. Beating SE72 win record or being the only rider in recent history to win both AMA and MXGP premier class titles.
Depends on whose history book you're reading. In the FIMs eyes the WORLD TITLE is what you want, in the US a national title is what you want.

Americans don't go because they make big money here in supey and wake up in their own beds sunday morning.
Ewan
10/8/2018 1:27pm
Bermworm wrote:
You need to start to realize America means the most only to Americans the rest of the world cares about the world.And MX and SX are...
You need to start to realize America means the most only to Americans the rest of the world cares about the world.And MX and SX are really two completely different sports.Don't believe me how many on here have ever ridden a real SX track? I would say less than 5% and thats being very generous(cause I'm not talking local fairgrounds or any type of indoor arena cross)but 99% have ridden MX. Herlings is the FMOTP in MX right now and has the title of World Champion to prove it .He doesn't need to be the US champion any more than he needs to be the Dutch British German Italian Spanish or Canadian champion for that matter because he's the World Champion.Same goes for Prado.
This guy gets it.
Lightning78
10/8/2018 1:30pm
Why do so many of you keep suggesting that Herlings needs to legitimize his career as being the best right now by racing SX??? Its pretty obvious that with our riders seemingly focusing 90% of their effort on SX and 10% on MX has had a pretty detrimental effect on our riders ability to excel at MX Where we used to once dominate. I also feel that the slower overall top speeds and again having the majority their focus practicing supercross nabi has cause riders to not be as comfortable going wide open as fastest the European guys are going now. Im sure some of you will scoff and think thats a crazy notion but to me its not and kind of makes sense.
Supercross only exists in America and was made up by America and the sport itself is only relevant here sure the other countries like it and have one off races but universally worldwide for dirt bike racing the sport is motocross so in my opinion that is the upper echelon of the score you know supercross is more dangerous takes more precision skill and timing motocross is what everyone universally does supercross they specialize sport that we do just here.
Herlings Does not need to legitimize his career by going through the wringer of supercross hes the baddest dude on 2 wheels. Eli maybe better indoors of course when he spends his entire time practicing that hes gonna be better The Europeans don't ride or race supercross asking them to do that and then when they don't saying they're not as good is flat out stupid comparing apples to apples more cross to motocross Herlings is the baddest dude out there.
Our showing this year was flat out pathetic no matter how much shade everyone wants to throw on the results due to conditions? Really the conditions? Prior to this race everyone said the biggest advantage in on being on home turf is not having to fly across the country adjust a foreign food jet lag etc now all the sudden it's conditions. I was so looking forward to team USA winning it all and was so let down with their lackluster showing
Lightning78
10/8/2018 1:41pm
At this point in his career saying he should just dive right into supercross to prove that Anything is just playing dumb Hes never put in any kind of time behind learning how to ride SX And has never had or need a reason to Do so. To the narrow minded people saying he needs are a supercross to make sure hes the best it's just dumb and you're only saying that because you know it's a very lopsided unfair argument.
Like I said Apples to Apples or whatever you wanna call it on a motocross track is where you get your proof as to who's the best because they all have The same level of skill set some are just better than others
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/8/2018 1:42pm
Why do so many of you keep suggesting that Herlings needs to legitimize his career as being the best right now by racing SX???

Probably for the same reason so many suggest that our guys need to race the GP's to legitimize theirs careers.
Racer142
10/8/2018 2:16pm
Racer142 wrote:

RG95 wrote:
What I gather from your post is: "for me he's not the fastest man on the planet" else you just wouldn't have opened this topic. Just...
What I gather from your post is: "for me he's not the fastest man on the planet" else you just wouldn't have opened this topic. Just say it.
So who's the fastest man on the planet at the moment for you? Tomac?
People really read only what they want to read. I never said one word about his speed and if I were to be honest I do think he is the FMOTP in his element. I think the summer here with the heat and humidity would catch him off guard and take him time to adjust which I do think he could do but again this has NOTHING to do with the question I asked.

My point is he openly just stated that he has no competition in the world much less the GPs alone so what would mean more to the history books winning titles in BOTH of the premier series and possibly sx if he came over or beating the win record?

That was the only question I asked. Not which series is better or who was faster or anything about their careers or what they need to prove. Why is that so hard

Read the ENTIRE initial post first please.

Post a reply to: Just a thought on Herlings new post.

The Latest