Jumps that were not supposed to be jumped?

The Shop

12/31/2018 4:29pm
I remember MC consistently jumping over an entire dragon's back at Minneapolis in '94 or so. No one else took a look at it. Then in maybe '96 he tried to make a double out of a table and a single at Millville in practice while leading the points, but that one didn't end well.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/31/2018 6:57pm
Way back in '87 or so, my local track had a regular-sized tabletop after a right hand turn. There was a landing zone and a medium-sized double after it. Well, one day the track crew filled in the double so it was two tabletops, and Mike Craig started doubling the whole thing. It was absolutely insane.
cable
12/31/2018 9:00pm
mxnick wrote:
1993 Doug Henry Broome Tioga Sports Center, Binghamton, New York.. After the start, there was an uphill/ downhill deal. There were two "ski jumps" on the...

Doug Henry

Broome Tioga Sports Center, Binghamton, New York..

After the start, there was an uphill/ downhill deal. There were two "ski jumps" on the downhill, and Dog Henry somehow figured out a way to double them on his factory Honda CR125. The jumps were not supposed to be doubled and were not sculpted nor built to be a big double.

I have some home video of them somewhere. I think he was the only one to make the jumps the entire weekend. And that was when they raced the 500cc class as well...

Doug Henry was a bad ass...
I think dehoop did them also. May not have been the same year though.
philG
1/1/2019 4:26am
DC wrote:
PhilG, it was just never meant to be jumped, and so it was built as a wall to slow guys down. Dean was very creative with...
PhilG, it was just never meant to be jumped, and so it was built as a wall to slow guys down. Dean was very creative with what he did, but it was absolutely going to cause problems -- this was on Thursday and we had a day of amateur racing to run yet before the pros got out there on Saturday. When you're the responsible party or race promoter, your thinking changes when it comes to matters of obvious risk and having a gut feeling that something might go wrong...

And don't forget Johnny O'Mara at the 1984 Daytona SX leap; made Gary Bailey rethink the whole concept of digging out those long "gator pits." It happens just past the 13-minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=853&v=PegkWMd3uHg

DC
Racer X

Thats almost as nuts as the one from Gainesville nationals where the guy hits the finish line pinned.

In my book, the thing Deano was doing was sketchy,but Stew used to do that kind of thing all the time, and was supposedly FMOTP as a result, but now there is nothing to separate anyone.

Also is it really any more sketchy than any of the blind uphill jumps that we see all over and take for granted.

Personally i prefer guys on the ground, too many jumps limit lines , and passing.

Snapper
1/1/2019 4:40am
1-forty-8 wrote:
I remember Tortelli trying to double that one jump that no one else did at hawkstone a few years ago (06 maybe?). Unfortunately he didn’t have...
I remember Tortelli trying to double that one jump that no one else did at hawkstone a few years ago (06 maybe?). Unfortunately he didn’t have enough room to get on the brakes for the left hander immediately after the “landing” but it was damn cool to see him do it a couple times.
Yeah 06, I was stood by the take off. Jobe was on the corner before (KTM or Tortelli's right hand man then I think) pointing him to the right side of the track before those two rollers. He lined it up then hit the brakes hard and rolled it, next lap he sent it and cased it. The next lap lap around though myself and a few others I was with (and not with) knew it was coming and started giving him some fist pumps and cheering as he came up to it and he cleared it perfectly. He looked back at us after and pumped his fist, one of the coolest things I've ever seen in person.
walent215
1/1/2019 7:52am
I was there when he hit that . I've been to many Pro SX/MX races over the years and this one takes the honors....by far. No disrespect to any of the ones posted so far but Rookie Whites jump gets my vote.
cbuehler767
1/1/2019 7:59am
Boomslang wrote:
Any stand out stories about riders turning sections in big doubles, quads...insane jumps? I remember watching Guy Cooper in the early 90's, can't recall the venue...
Any stand out stories about riders turning sections in big doubles, quads...insane jumps?

I remember watching Guy Cooper in the early 90's, can't recall the venue but he was practically clearing the whole whoop section.

Also a stand out for me was Muddy Creek, James on his SuperMini doing something insane, think the only other dude to nail it was Riddle.

The story of LaRocco's Leap? Was it intended to be jumped when they built it or did Mike just hold it wide open and pray?

LaRocco’s leap is a replica of a jump that Mike had on his practice track called Godzilla. It was intended to be jumped, but Mike had...
LaRocco’s leap is a replica of a jump that Mike had on his practice track called Godzilla. It was intended to be jumped, but Mike had to come from off the track on his 125 to launch it.
It was called Kong
DC
1/1/2019 9:30am Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 12:26pm
Phil, step-ups on hills are much different than what Deano was doing. And while things like that used to separate Stewart from the rest, they also often times separated Stewart from his bike. He threw away more championships than he won, and he's lucky some of those crashes weren't much worse. I will always stand by the decision to take out what appears to be overly dangerous and tempting. Again, there was an amateur race about to start.

DC
Racer X
mxer807
1/1/2019 11:04am
DC wrote:
Phil, step-ups on hills are much different than what Deano was doing. And while things like that used to separate Stewart from the rest, they also...
Phil, step-ups on hills are much different than what Deano was doing. And while things like that used to separate Stewart from the rest, they also often times separated Stewart from his bike. He threw away more championships than he won, and he's lucky some of those crashes weren't much worse. I will always stand by the decision to take out what appears to be overly dangerous and tempting. Again, there was an amateur race about to start.

DC
Racer X
I feel like stew got hurt more on smaller stuff and whoops than he did on big jumps.
DC
1/1/2019 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 12:30pm
DC wrote:
Phil, step-ups on hills are much different than what Deano was doing. And while things like that used to separate Stewart from the rest, they also...

DC
Racer X
mxer807 wrote:
I feel like stew got hurt more on smaller stuff and whoops than he did on big jumps.
That's probably true, there were so many after awhile it started to run together...

But maybe the coolest thing hardly anyone got to see Stew do was the old rhythm section after the finish line at Loretta Lynn's, doubling in off the tunnel, tripling the middle and then doubling out...

... He was on a Kawasaki KLX in the pit bike race!

DC
Racer X
TeamGreen
1/1/2019 12:32pm
The Step-Ups/Step-Downs at Millville make the event stellar!
DC
1/1/2019 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2019 12:40pm
And here's a little history lesson, from the 1975 Mid-Ohio 125cc USGP. Fast forward to the 1:10 mark and you will see Marty Smith "double" a set of jumps that were built to be single jumps taken one at a time. I've talked to everyone from Marty himself to Gary Bailey to Roger DeCoster about it, and they also think it's the invention of the double-jump concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Bov9BvwOM

I have never found a track diagram with doubles in place before 1976, or a photo or footage of someone jumping a double before this... And I know in the beginning it says 1973 but it's definitely 1975. Pretty soon Jimmy Ellis was also doing it on a Can-Am.

By the time of the '76 Daytona SX Bailey was purpose-building jumps closer to get guys to start doubling like Smith did.

DC
Racer X
DC
1/1/2019 12:42pm
And here's an imagine of what it looked like that day. Marty Smith was a bad-ass

DC
Racer X
mxer807
1/1/2019 12:54pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
mxer807 wrote:
DC wrote:
That's probably true, there were so many after awhile it started to run together... But maybe the coolest thing hardly anyone got to see Stew do...
That's probably true, there were so many after awhile it started to run together...

But maybe the coolest thing hardly anyone got to see Stew do was the old rhythm section after the finish line at Loretta Lynn's, doubling in off the tunnel, tripling the middle and then doubling out...

... He was on a Kawasaki KLX in the pit bike race!

DC
Racer X
He’s pulls something amazing at almost every track he rides and makes your mouth drop. It’s so much different to see it in person. Elsinore one year on his Kxf, just on a practice day, he turned a set of 3 doubles, about 10 feet high, and probably 20 foot gaps, into whoops. Just rear wheel tapped every single lip and landing.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
1/1/2019 1:00pm
walent215 wrote:
I was there when he hit that . I've been to many Pro SX/MX races over the years and this one takes the honors....by far. No...
I was there when he hit that . I've been to many Pro SX/MX races over the years and this one takes the honors....by far. No disrespect to any of the ones posted so far but Rookie Whites jump gets my vote.
I second that. Got my vote.
7I3N
1/1/2019 1:20pm
TC at Matterley Basin in 2014.

Racerxx
1/1/2019 1:44pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
walent215 wrote:
I was there when he hit that . I've been to many Pro SX/MX races over the years and this one takes the honors....by far. No...
Jeremy Byrne hit that jump after Rookie White .... kids these days lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6m_pF-daGw
philG
1/1/2019 1:51pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
It wasnt a criticism DC, just a statement . The sport is risky enough already. It was the right call
The things that Stew used to do, that elevated him to being 'that guy' just dont hang about long enough now, for people to do them because common sense prevails. And you are right of course, Stew rarely wadded on the big stuff, it was getting little stuff wrong that did for him.

And the word there is 'tempting' ..

crowe176
1/1/2019 1:55pm
Denver Supercross 1996, MC was jumping this infield jump where he was clearing a table and still making the inside turn. It wasn't anything crazy by Bubba standards, but I just remember watching it thinking how gnarly it was and he was doing every lap. It was just so representative of his 96 season, and how bad he wanted it.
mxer807
1/1/2019 2:12pm
Rotaholic wrote:
Just a guys home track in New Zealand.....
Just a guys home track in New Zealand.....
This looks like too much fun . Cheerful
Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
1/1/2019 5:38pm
Blake Bagget jumping the Texas 12 pack at Freestone back in 2012

He was doing stuff in 2017 that others weren’t doing in the outdoors, but can’t remeber anything specifically Blush

Post a reply to: Jumps that were not supposed to be jumped?

The Latest