Jump right out of corner- sit down or stand up?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/21/2020 9:04 PM

My problem is simple: If there is a steep jump right out of a turn I am not sure whether to stay sitting down or not.
If I sit down and stay on the gas somewhat and launch with front more on the higher side and then get prepared for whatever is next, that's one way. (I can't imagine weighting front end while sitting down so I am keeping front end a bit high in this scenario)
Or I can try to stand up and set myself up for the jump when I am accelerating out of the turn, which wears me out as I am trying to stand while being pushed back by acceleration.
When I am out there riding, I am trying to think of riders with that kind of style and think of Windham seat bounce mastery. Sitting down is part of working less on the bike instead of constant sitting/standing transition. But I feel like maybe I am being lazy by sitting down on a popper out of turn.

|

3/21/2020 9:15 PM

*Paging DV-12. DV-12 to the Vital phone*

|

3/21/2020 9:18 PM

FWYT wrote:

He would say "sit down, and avoid Kevin Windham." grin grin grin

|

3/21/2020 9:26 PM

FWYT wrote:

Moto Norcal wrote:

He would say "sit down, and avoid Kevin Windham." grin grin grin

Hahahahhaha

|

3/21/2020 9:29 PM

Sit down, for extra bad assery keep your foot off the peg from the corner all the way up the jump

|

3/21/2020 10:08 PM

Gotta sit down. Seat bounce every jump at every track!

Jk. Do what you’re most comfortable with. Like EK298 said, both have advantages, but sitting down if not done properly could go really bad.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/21/2020 10:53 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Gotta sit down. Seat bounce every jump at every track!

Jk. Do what you’re most comfortable with. Like EK298 said, both have advantages, but sitting down if not done properly could go really bad.

Well since sitting down doesn't feel any scarier I guess I should just do that, if it's more technical. If you have a reasonable idea of how your rear suspension is going to react under power it feels pretty natural.

|

3/21/2020 10:58 PM

If you have the skill standing up is better most of the time unless you need to seat bounce to clear the jump.

|

3/21/2020 11:00 PM

Can you stand in the corner and over the jump?

|

3/21/2020 11:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/21/2020 11:37 PM

Depends on the jump type, I have a pretty quick peaky double right at the exit of a bowl turn at the track I ride frequently and on my 250 2 stroke I seat bounce it on that one. On the other side of the track is a longer lower trajectory table maybe 35-40 feet in length and I quickly stand on that one... so in other words.... yes they both!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2006 KX250

3/22/2020 12:12 AM

seat bouncing is only for when you cant make the gap any other way, standing up is the preferred option every other time

|

3/22/2020 12:16 AM

Just be sure there isn’t a kicker or lip on the jump if you are sitting.

|

3/22/2020 1:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2020 1:16 AM

Okay, so, if the jump has a good ramp, sit down and sit bounce. You may need to brake tap.
Also, as you get out of the corner, i recommend you to put as fast as you can your leg on the peg.
Why?
Because if you don’t put your leg on the peg, you’re not unloading your height to the rear end of the bike, but on the seat, and it cause your rear end to slide out, right in front of the ramp.
Listen to me, once it happened and it’s a shit thing.
Keeping your feet as much as you can on the pegs, should be an important rule to follow..

|

3/22/2020 1:31 AM

How far out of the corner? We have a track that has an awesome kicker/step up about 15ft out of a right hand corner and the most effective way to jump it is to seat bounce. You have to pull like a muther on the bars sitting mid seat pinned on the face in second but holy hell is it fun ! 👍😉

|

3/22/2020 2:33 AM

A lot of variables at play here, but the one that I personally think is the biggest factor is the distance out of the turn. If it’s a short run I usually prefer to remain seated to get more traction. Little farther out, probably stand. Elevation leading to the jump comes in to play as well. There’s no right or wrong answer to this question. Whatever gets you personally over the obstacle and finds you still on the bike on the other side aughta do it!

|

3/22/2020 2:34 AM

|

3/22/2020 6:32 AM

we have a similar track like that here with a double out of a corner. I can't make the double unless I seat bounce it other guys which are faster stand up and do it that way. my corner speed is just not fast enough to make it so I prefer to seat bounce than to stand up and case the second one just for the sake of bouncing

|

3/22/2020 7:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2020 7:12 AM

Or you can try this amazing technique from Ferrandis here to make the pass wink

Edit: i posted the exact moment, rewind a bit to see it better maybe.

It is actually gaining so much time that i thought it would get noticed and become a new standard technique wink

|

3/22/2020 7:45 AM

FWYT wrote:

Le Garter Snake!

|

3/22/2020 9:49 AM

One year at Millville DV tipped over in Bobs corner right at the base of a big table top. I think it was during practice but not sure. Anyway he was on a 2 stroke so it was a while back. He picked the bike up, started it and seat bounced over that 30 footer starting from the base of the face. Crazy.

To answer OP you’ll seat bounce that jump.

|

3/22/2020 9:57 AM

As a lazy chubby dude in his 30's im gonna seat bounce that mofo every day of the week and likely land on my balls with feet off the pegs. Im not proud but im honest.

|

3/22/2020 10:30 AM

Well, there you have it- close to the corner, seat bounce it. If I have a little run at it, stand up. It was cool to hear various opinions on the topic.

|

3/22/2020 11:05 AM

I’ve done both. Depends how tired also. I like to seat bounce sometimes for sure. Just depends on the jump and comfort level.

|

3/22/2020 11:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2020 12:03 PM

Feel free to use these as coaching moments for anyone. I had not touched a dirtbike in 14 years, hopped on a buddy's bike for a couple motos. Super gassed, shoulda already been drinking beers in the pits, and in one of these photos I ate shit. In one of these photos, I tried standing up way too late, way too lazily, and the shoulders dipped.

Photo
Poor posture, shoulder dipped, eyes down, elbows uneven/perpendicular to the vector of acceleration

Photo
Upright(ish) posture, shoulders even, elbows even/parallel with the vector of acceleration, and knees tightly squeezed.
~ 1.5 years ago

*Edit* feel free to point out whatever

|

3/22/2020 11:32 AM

Sorry I crashed your bike Nathan

|

3/22/2020 11:53 AM

Why would you want to sit over a jump that’s not a double?

|

3/22/2020 11:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2020 12:01 PM

Oh for sure, they are both fucked up. Badly out of shape, and WAY out of practice. Just thought they would serve as examples of what not to do. Like humility aside, and all that. *edit* I just didnt eat shit in the one on the bottom

|

3/22/2020 11:55 AM

Moto Norcal wrote:

My problem is simple: If there is a steep jump right out of a turn I am not sure whether to stay sitting down or not.
If I sit down and stay on the gas somewhat and launch with front more on the higher side and then get prepared for whatever is next, that's one way. (I can't imagine weighting front end while sitting down so I am keeping front end a bit high in this scenario)
Or I can try to stand up and set myself up for the jump when I am accelerating out of the turn, which wears me out as I am trying to stand while being pushed back by acceleration.
When I am out there riding, I am trying to think of riders with that kind of style and think of Windham seat bounce mastery. Sitting down is part of working less on the bike instead of constant sitting/standing transition. But I feel like maybe I am being lazy by sitting down on a popper out of turn.

Stand down or sit up. That is the question, or is it?

|

3/22/2020 12:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2020 12:13 PM

I think it depends on the face and how close out of the turn the jump is.

Any one remember when Doug Henry was tripling on the inside of the dirty dozen on a 125??

|

3/22/2020 12:44 PM

Practice the sit down jump. Once you have done it a million times, you'll know which approach to use in any situation.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.