Josh Gilbert Meets a Metal Stake...With his Head (Video from Hangtown)

Related:
Create New Tag

6/6/2022 5:53 AM

I would have a very difficult time getting upset about a track/promoter getting sued out of existence if he was seriously injured in that one. What a bone head move to use rebar for signage that close to the track.

|

6/6/2022 6:01 AM

I don’t understand why there are metal or timber stakes used so close to the tracks or some of the fences that you see at the edge of some tracks.

|

6/6/2022 6:11 AM

Guess if we all want to be safe, we should just race in a open flat field. Every one bitching about this or that not being safe, there is always going to be something around a track that you can hit if you go off the track.

|

6/6/2022 6:12 AM

aeffertz wrote:

If only there was some sort of wooden material we could put in the ground to use as stakes.

mxracer828 wrote:

There shouldn’t be any stakes by the track period. Meta,wood,plastic they will both pierce through you.

yak651 wrote:

Also led to Jessy Nelson’s paralysis

I was cringing every time I'd see Sexton grazing those stupid yellow trackside barriers going up the hill. Surely they can just do a simple mod to the track in areas where the lines keep pushing toward the outside w/o putting a frickin' hard plastic wall there. It's insane....

Other than that (and obviously the ludicrous decision to put a huge metal stake on the side of the track), I thought the track was amazing....

|

6/6/2022 6:24 AM

zippytech wrote:

Guess if we all want to be safe, we should just race in a open flat field. Every one bitching about this or that not being ...more

And the idiotic statement of the day belongs to.........

|

Florida Trail Riders Area 4 Director
Volusia/Flagler Counties

6/6/2022 7:53 AM

zippytech wrote:

Guess if we all want to be safe, we should just race in a open flat field. Every one bitching about this or that not being ...more

McG194 wrote:

Is this not the truth? That there is always going to be something to hit if you run off the track?

|

6/6/2022 7:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2022 7:59 AM

zippytech wrote:

McG194 wrote:

No shit. Motocross is plenty dangerous on its own, making it worse with dangerous objects too close to the track is retarded, especially when there are plenty of better ways to accomplish the task. What a moronic response.

|

6/6/2022 8:06 AM

zippytech wrote:

McG194 wrote:

zippytech wrote:

Is this not the truth? That there is always going to be something to hit if you run off the track?

Because the sport is already dangerous is no excuse to make it more dangerous by ignoring basic common sense. Herp derp logic.

|

6/6/2022 8:06 AM

zippytech wrote:

This could be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted here...and that's saying a lot. Congratulations.

|

6/6/2022 8:30 AM

I am sure if you walk around any track you will find way worst things then that t post to hit, High point not very long ago had trees and fence to hit.

|

6/6/2022 8:54 AM

zippytech wrote:

McG194 wrote:

zippytech wrote:

I race hare scrambles and there are plenty of things to run into off the track, that's why I don't push as hard as I do on a motocross track. Professional racers running at their pace should only have to worry about the obstacles on the track. Why do you think MotoGP has such wide run off areas and don't race at tracks with armco barriers on the outside of turns. The obstacles and the bike can do enough damage to a human body.

|

Volusia/Flagler Counties

6/6/2022 9:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2022 2:29 PM

b8res wrote:

The metal stake was removed on the spot by DDNMC & track workers following the incident. Obviously there's lessons learned ...more

If the powers that be don't know upfront about items that pierce human flesh, holy fuck we have major problems..... There shouldn't be stakes if any kind around the racing surface.

|

6/6/2022 9:12 AM

It was bad enough, stupidity having stuff like that near the track on a down hill no less its pure negligent on who ever signed off on that.

|

6/6/2022 9:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2022 9:17 AM

zippytech wrote:

I am sure if you walk around any track you will find way worst things then that t post to hit, High point not very long ago ...more

Good reason to ignore other hazards. Derp. Logic isn't your strong suit, clearly.

|

6/6/2022 9:45 AM

I think the other manufacturers engineer their signs out of modern flexible materials, it's just Suzuki that still uses T-posts

|

6/6/2022 9:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2022 10:06 AM

That T-post wasn't even pounded into the ground, Look how close he was to having a bigger hole ripped into his back than Deano got in his ass in SX. shocked shocked shocked

Photo

|

6/6/2022 10:02 AM

aeffertz wrote:

If only there was some sort of wooden material we could put in the ground to use as stakes.

That would be far too expensive, it not like it grows on trees!

|

6/6/2022 10:06 AM

Gary Duck wrote:

That T-post wasn't even pounded into the ground, Look how close he was to having a bigger hole ripped into his back than Deano ...more

Damn....good observation of bad execution.

In this instance, it seems like that banner could be held up by a frame fully built out of PVC that is self supporting. This would allow it to get knocked over in an instance like this and not cause any harm to the rider. Then the track crew could just run and put it back up like they do the tough blocks in SX.

I'm not sure what the answer is, we've beat it to death multiple times over years on here for sure.

|

6/6/2022 10:07 AM

What kind of helmet is this??

|

6/6/2022 10:17 AM

Hampshire got a puncture wound from a marker.

|

Yea

6/6/2022 10:21 AM

Logan_Ryall wrote:

What kind of helmet is this??

Thor.

|

6/6/2022 10:24 AM

Gary Duck wrote:

That T-post wasn't even pounded into the ground, Look how close he was to having a bigger hole ripped into his back than Deano ...more

LungButter wrote:

In this instance, it seems like that banner could be held up by a frame fully ...more

I hate to even bring up this sport on vital but the corner flags from soccer would probably do just fine. You step on them to push the base into the ground and then there is a flexible spring on top that looks like the door stops in most homes and then the nylon/plastic stick is attached to the spring. Yes, it may not be super sturdy and the wind may blow them over with banner material but... Not a solid steel pole or as solid as a wooden stake. The best solution is to not put all of this bull shit 4' from the track

|

6/6/2022 10:36 AM

couldn't they just make a simple frame out of pvc piping and then weight it down (so it doesn't blow over) with sandbags? Hell, would be less work than driving t-posts into the ground.

|

6/6/2022 10:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2022 11:20 AM

aeffertz wrote:

That T-post shouldn't be there, but there's no driving a wooden stake into dry ground here.

That's also probably why it's set so shallow. That's the depth at which they just gave up on pounding it with no movement.

|

6/6/2022 11:01 AM

Turns out RJ Hampshire got a really nasty puncture wound from one of the wooden stakes. He got lucky it "only" punctured his lung.

|

6/6/2022 11:31 AM

Suzuki staying relevant even if it means impaling riders.

|

6/6/2022 12:06 PM

Everyone got lucky there. Agreed, let's learn and do better.

|

6/6/2022 12:14 PM

anybody else notice DC has checked out from posting/commenting on the site?

In year's past he was always pretty quick to comment on things or give his perspective. I know it's only week 2, but an awful lot of drama has come from the Nats...that he has been silent about.

|

6/6/2022 12:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2022 12:53 PM

Moto memes wins again.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @moto_memess

|

Volusia/Flagler Counties

6/6/2022 12:48 PM

Gary Duck wrote:

LungButter wrote:

In this instance, it seems like that banner could be held up by a frame fully ...more

snillum wrote:

I hate to even bring up this sport on vital but the corner flags from soccer would probably do just fine. You step on them to ...more

That's sort of what I was thinking. I was thinking of the poles that Super G downhill skiers go around, ( I've never seen one up close). Something flexible that bends under a riders weight. I don't know about wood stakes, say the bike gets there first and shears the stake off a foot off the ground, then the rider lands on the stake and becomes impaled. Any safety officers here?

|