Josh Demuth Injury Update, Now an Amputee

watson
Edited Date/Time 9/14/2012 2:11pm
|
SwapperMX
8/7/2012 7:07am
Man, thats terrible news. At least he is alive though. He deserves support from the moto industry right now. I hope he gets it.
SlowMoFo
8/7/2012 7:07am
Holy shit man! That sucks bad. Best wishes and a prompt recovery to him!
newmann
8/7/2012 7:16am
Racer X has learned through two sources close to the situation that three-time AMA Arenacross Champion Josh Demuth has lost his right leg, below the knee, due to what was thought to be an infection in the leg. Details are very vague at the moment; we will continue to update this developing story as more details are released.

In other words, they read it here on Vital. Davey Davey Davey, I realize you've been away at the ranch, but please quit letting that Chris Chase guy from Yahoo fill in when you're gone.Laughing

The Shop

DC
8/7/2012 7:23am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2012 7:25am
Newman, in other words we called Kenny Watson, Buddy Antunez and we were contacted by some readers in Texas. I don't know who Chris Chase is, but I am guessing he must ride a four-stroke.

I feel really bad for Josh.

DC
MX Sports
yzaddict106
Fantasy
2448th
8/7/2012 7:24am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2012 7:25am
Horrible, horrible news.

Newmann, that was funny. That guy is a toolbag and shouldn't be allowed to write ever again.
jeffro503
8/7/2012 7:30am
I think Josh will be just fine. It will take some time to get himself feeling happy again , but the time will come. Look at Ridge.....he lost part of his leg and still kicks ass on a bike!

Speaking of which Davey........Ridge was offering to maybe help Josh out / give advice and so forth. Hope he got a hold of him. I'm sure Josh is pretty bummed.......and I bet Ridge could give him some pointers and let him know things may not be all that bad after all. I wish Josh the best!
newmann
8/7/2012 7:54am
It was a joke DC, and a funny one. Don't know why you had to make it a 4 stroke thing...Wink

This is for Demuth. Someone sent it to me when I was laid up in the hospital all battered, bruised and broken many years ago. One of those things you hold onto for some odd reason. MX Cat rules!!

TX24
8/7/2012 8:03am
Tough news. I wish him the best.
DC
8/7/2012 8:07am
Actually Newman, I don't t think it's funny at all when you post that we get our news reports from posts here on Vital. Nor do I think the news of Josh Demuth losing a leg is the right moment for you to poke fun at anyone.

DC
MX Sports
newmann
8/7/2012 8:22am
DC wrote:
Actually Newman, I don't t think it's funny at all when you post that we get our news reports from posts here on Vital. Nor do...
Actually Newman, I don't t think it's funny at all when you post that we get our news reports from posts here on Vital. Nor do I think the news of Josh Demuth losing a leg is the right moment for you to poke fun at anyone.

DC
MX Sports
My apologies sir.
JLong
8/7/2012 8:24am
I haven't personally spoke to Josh, but a few friends who have say he is in reasonably good spirits and somewhat "relieved" the pain will be gone from the break and infection. Josh is a warrior who has found and fought through more injury than anyone I have ever known. Few realize the extent of these last injuries.
DC
8/7/2012 8:27am
No worries, I lost a finger so I feel for Josh... Actually, it was nothing compared to this. I can't imagine what it would be like.

DC
MX Sports
ridge
8/7/2012 8:50am
DC wrote:
No worries, I lost a finger so I feel for Josh... Actually, it was nothing compared to this. I can't imagine what it would be like...
No worries, I lost a finger so I feel for Josh... Actually, it was nothing compared to this. I can't imagine what it would be like.

DC
MX Sports
Josh will adapt and be back to doing everything within a matter of months. However, I don't see any more golds for me unless I go all Tonya Harding on his ass.

In fact, he has just enough time to get ready for the Baja 1000 on an all amputee team consisting of Super Mario (Red Bull dude), Jim Wazny, Mike Schultz, and myself. We are donating legs and other stuff to disabled people who want to be athletic again.

I'm not sure how Josh is dealing with this, but myself (and others) would be glad to help out. He's a champion, so I'm expecting great things out of him.

Davey, please pass this along.
chrisridgway181@yahoo.com

Chris
Underdog999
8/7/2012 9:00am
Wow, what do you actually say at a time like this? I hope that the infection gets under control soon so Josh can recover quickly. Sending good thoughts towards Josh!!!
TeamGreen
8/7/2012 9:41am
DC wrote:
No worries, I lost a finger so I feel for Josh... Actually, it was nothing compared to this. I can't imagine what it would be like...

DC
MX Sports
Don't go thinking that Josh's opportunities are going away...

I went to the X-Games in 2010 with a Rider that made me realize we can do a helluva lot of things..."post injury"...My friend, Todd Thompson...earned a Silver Medal...Mike Schulz got the Gold, that day, BOTH...riding at a pace that was an insult to some of the Pro's...

With just ONE damn foot!

Then there's Oscar Pistorius.

Josh, too, is a Bad Ass.

He'll be back.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
8/7/2012 9:50am
ridge wrote:
Josh will adapt and be back to doing everything within a matter of months. However, I don't see any more golds for me unless I go...
Josh will adapt and be back to doing everything within a matter of months. However, I don't see any more golds for me unless I go all Tonya Harding on his ass.

In fact, he has just enough time to get ready for the Baja 1000 on an all amputee team consisting of Super Mario (Red Bull dude), Jim Wazny, Mike Schultz, and myself. We are donating legs and other stuff to disabled people who want to be athletic again.

I'm not sure how Josh is dealing with this, but myself (and others) would be glad to help out. He's a champion, so I'm expecting great things out of him.

Chris
That's very cool of you ridge.

Good luck and best wishes to Josh!
dboivin
8/7/2012 9:56am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2012 9:57am
sucks for Josh, hope he gets better soon.

i have witnessed a few extremity games over the years and its simply amazing to see these guys. I hope josh continues to rip it up, he'll just be a little more mechanical this time around. Smile

Ridge in action.
stuff like this is inspiring to see. Keep yer head up Josh.
TeamGreen
8/7/2012 10:00am
ridge wrote:
Josh will adapt and be back to doing everything within a matter of months. However, I don't see any more golds for me unless I go...

Chris
Ramrod wrote:
That's very cool of you ridge.

Good luck and best wishes to Josh!
Didn't see Ridge's post when I commented above...

Chris has done MORE for "Adaptive Moto" & it's athletes...than anyone...PERIOD.

He's the REASON my rider went to the X-Games...hell...Chris told Todd to get his ass out there many years earlier.

As for Ridge throwing in the Towel if Josh shows up?

HAR!

Ridge would chase down JS7 at the Extremity Games if they're held at Baja Acres...HE WONS the Place.
watson
8/7/2012 10:20am
Can't feel enough for Josh.. It's also unacceptable that he lost his leg because of infection. I work as a Prosthetic and Orthotic Technician (going on 5 years now) and I hear about this WAY too often. I don't know the details, but I do know that he was in there long enough for the infection to possibly be entirely the hospital's fault. I will eat my words if I'm wrong, but this happens ALOT.

He is a Champion though, and I would bet that this will not stop him from doing anything. In all the Patients I've seen, the only real handicap is in the mindset (if negative). Doubly true in below the knee amputees, which is by far the most functional level of amputation. I would recommend Josh finds O&P Practitioners that have dealt successfully with Para-Olympic athletes. With insurance, you don't pay any more (or extra) for services of those caliber of Practitioners, all devices and services are paid through standard L-Codes.

Best of Luck Josh. Bump in the road, but not a wall.
ridge
8/7/2012 10:20am
Thanks guys!

I messaged Josh on FaceBook. Now I better get training so I can live up to just half the things Manny said about me.

BTW, the only way I could beat Josh is if he were on a 2-stroke

(put your shirt back on, Newman)

...and he had to rebuild it during the moto. It would be close.

Get well soon Josh.
ridge
8/7/2012 10:30am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2012 10:32am
watson wrote:
Can't feel enough for Josh.. It's also unacceptable that he lost his leg because of infection. I work as a Prosthetic and Orthotic Technician (going on...
Can't feel enough for Josh.. It's also unacceptable that he lost his leg because of infection. I work as a Prosthetic and Orthotic Technician (going on 5 years now) and I hear about this WAY too often. I don't know the details, but I do know that he was in there long enough for the infection to possibly be entirely the hospital's fault. I will eat my words if I'm wrong, but this happens ALOT.

He is a Champion though, and I would bet that this will not stop him from doing anything. In all the Patients I've seen, the only real handicap is in the mindset (if negative). Doubly true in below the knee amputees, which is by far the most functional level of amputation. I would recommend Josh finds O&P Practitioners that have dealt successfully with Para-Olympic athletes. With insurance, you don't pay any more (or extra) for services of those caliber of Practitioners, all devices and services are paid through standard L-Codes.

I look at it as a blessing in disguise. His leg/foot were badly crushed so his chances of it working correctly and being pain free are slim. The doctors wasted 9 years of my life trying to fix the impossible. That could have been the best years of my life but I'll never know.

The doctors are the professionals and they should have cut my leg off the first night. They tried to scare me away from amputation once I wanted it off. Since then, it's been my goal to prove them wrong by doing more with a prosthetic than they thought possible.

Anyway, I'm happy now. I'm still in pain because my stump has some nerve problems, but I don't take pills for it or anything. It's nice to take my leg off and have all the pain go away in less than an hour.

Edit: You're right about everything you said though. Spot on.
8/7/2012 10:39am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2012 10:41am
newmann wrote:
It was a joke DC, and a funny one. Don't know why you had to make it a 4 stroke thing...;) This is for Demuth. Someone...
It was a joke DC, and a funny one. Don't know why you had to make it a 4 stroke thing...Wink

This is for Demuth. Someone sent it to me when I was laid up in the hospital all battered, bruised and broken many years ago. One of those things you hold onto for some odd reason. MX Cat rules!!

I don't think it is very funny either that you think this is the place to make your jokes around a story about a guy losing part of his fucking leg.
BobbyM
8/7/2012 10:45am
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
yup...his life is over...

Smile

josh will be fine...below the knee is quite a bit better than above. but either way "it aint no thang".

hospitals still scare the shit outta me...go in with a cut, come out missing a limb.
TeamGreen
8/7/2012 10:45am
I think Newmann's comic is true...

We are racers.

PERIOD.
CamP
8/7/2012 10:50am
watson wrote:
Can't feel enough for Josh.. It's also unacceptable that he lost his leg because of infection. I work as a Prosthetic and Orthotic Technician (going on...

Compound fractures are highly susceptible to infection, and it's very likely that it started before he was even transported from the track.
Insider347
8/7/2012 10:58am
newmann wrote:
It was a joke DC, and a funny one. Don't know why you had to make it a 4 stroke thing...;) This is for Demuth. Someone...

I don't think it is very funny either that you think this is the place to make your jokes around a story about a guy losing...
I don't think it is very funny either that you think this is the place to make your jokes around a story about a guy losing part of his fucking leg.
No need for a panic rev. Calm it down Bro. Everybody posting is very concerned and hopes nothing but the best for Josh. He is just sharing some of his thoughts, no jokes about the situation. . Relax and don't panic. Ridiculous.
8/7/2012 12:16pm
newmann wrote:

I don't think it is very funny either that you think this is the place to make your jokes around a story about a guy losing...
Insider347 wrote:
No need for a panic rev. Calm it down Bro. Everybody posting is very concerned and hopes nothing but the best for Josh. He is just...
No need for a panic rev. Calm it down Bro. Everybody posting is very concerned and hopes nothing but the best for Josh. He is just sharing some of his thoughts, no jokes about the situation. . Relax and don't panic. Ridiculous.
It wasn't about the comic but the in general of his first post, the one Davy was referring to that he has since changed. I know we are all wishing Josh the best.
MX45
8/7/2012 12:16pm
Hate to hear it. He certainly had an amazing career on an MX bike, and something tells me it's not over. Would be cool to see him make some history and come back to kickin' ass form in AX.
newmann
8/7/2012 12:51pm
It wasn't about the comic but the in general of his first post, the one Davy was referring to that he has since changed. I know...
It wasn't about the comic but the in general of his first post, the one Davy was referring to that he has since changed. I know we are all wishing Josh the best.
First off, I didn't change anything. Secondly, you need a beer. Thirdly, yes we are all wishing the best for Josh.

Post a reply to: Josh Demuth Injury Update, Now an Amputee

The Latest