Jordon Smith Signs with Monster Energy Star Yamaha for 2023

LungButter
6/10/2022 9:47am
People are brutal on Smith. I hope he comes out and kills it. Only probably with it for all teams other than Honda is its going...
People are brutal on Smith. I hope he comes out and kills it. Only probably with it for all teams other than Honda is its going to be hard to find someone to beat the Lawrence bro's. I do find it funny how we bitch that this sport chews people up and and spits them out then when a very talented guy gets a good ride everyone bags on him. Smith has speed and is willing to fight for a title. All other guys named in here who may have not had a chance are great riders but do not have the same potential as smith. I feel Lopes and Wageman while they are great are happy just getting in the Top 5 or so and do not even view themselves as a title threat. Smith even if he is wrong I think believes he is a title threat and if he puts it together could win it. The others will never be close.
Smith has already had 3 factory rides....I don't think it's unreasonable for people to question giving him another one.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/10/2022 11:06am
philG wrote:
If he hasnt done it yet, he isnt going to.

Good rider, but cant last a season.
ACBailey89 wrote:
Same thing could be said of Christian Craig before he went to Star. Hoping Smith turns it around at Star
Yep. And the archives here are littered with similar comments about Eli Tomac winning a SX title. Now he has two.
hubbardmx50
6/10/2022 11:11am
gt80rider wrote:
Big fan of Smith... but his best days are behind him.. kinda odd for Star to be signing a guy that is on the downhill side...
Big fan of Smith... but his best days are behind him.. kinda odd for Star to be signing a guy that is on the downhill side when they have so many up and comers in the que...
People said the same thing about Craig.
Lucas Windham
Fantasy
2151st
6/10/2022 11:19am
People are brutal on Smith. I hope he comes out and kills it. Only probably with it for all teams other than Honda is its going...
People are brutal on Smith. I hope he comes out and kills it. Only probably with it for all teams other than Honda is its going to be hard to find someone to beat the Lawrence bro's. I do find it funny how we bitch that this sport chews people up and and spits them out then when a very talented guy gets a good ride everyone bags on him. Smith has speed and is willing to fight for a title. All other guys named in here who may have not had a chance are great riders but do not have the same potential as smith. I feel Lopes and Wageman while they are great are happy just getting in the Top 5 or so and do not even view themselves as a title threat. Smith even if he is wrong I think believes he is a title threat and if he puts it together could win it. The others will never be close.
LungButter wrote:
Smith has already had 3 factory rides....I don't think it's unreasonable for people to question giving him another one.
I understand but name a better option. Risky I get but if you are willing to take a chance I feel he is a good option.

The Shop

Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
6/10/2022 11:43am
Parks65 wrote:
WASTE OF A RIDE....
How can you say that bud? If he cannot find success riding for Star then We can all agree on your statement but until then, give the dude a break. Star managent are no fools.....
LungButter
6/10/2022 12:07pm
Boomslang wrote:
How can you say that bud? If he cannot find success riding for Star then We can all agree on your statement but until then, give...
How can you say that bud? If he cannot find success riding for Star then We can all agree on your statement but until then, give the dude a break. Star managent are no fools.....
For his sake I hope they can help him more than the 3 previous factory rides he had.....
6/10/2022 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2022 1:28pm

He has won three 250 SX races, and no overall motocross races during his career. He is in his 8th year as a pro. He is 26 yrs old, and will turn 27 during the 2023 SX season.

He COULD be a title contender next year, but I feel like he has to pick up a tick more speed and stop crashing.
6/10/2022 12:36pm
Money wrote:
All these people bashing smith but i bet he will be right there for the title threat next year. Looks like hes finally gonna leave MTF...
All these people bashing smith but i bet he will be right there for the title threat next year. Looks like hes finally gonna leave MTF which he needed to do a long time ago. With his experience and how young the class is hes gonna be battling for the title next season. And for everyone saying lopes should get a spot yall wild. Has he even got a top 5 in sx? Look at Nichols he was getting podiums on the rock river bike against a stacked field with Webb, Joey, Craig and tons of other strong talent and these other guys that “deserve” Jordan’s spot dont even have top 5’s let alone podiums to there names. Get real people
100%
6/10/2022 12:40pm
bthede489 wrote:
There’s two effects: the Stewart/Jett effect, and the Craig/Friese/Brayton effect. Either you throw your dice at somebody who could be a great, or you give a...
There’s two effects: the Stewart/Jett effect, and the Craig/Friese/Brayton effect.
Either you throw your dice at somebody who could be a great, or you give a “consistent “ guy a shot, know what you’re going to get, and hope maybe he has something more in him than you realized. I think that in the next few years guys like Chisholm are gonna get some better rides because some of these teams are going to decide, hey, we’d rather have somebody in 8th every race than someone who maybeeee could win, but could also be on the ground every other race. A lot of “future superstars” haven’t planned out recently. The current ratio is 1 out 5 multiple time LL winners will win SX championships, and about 1 in 3.5 will even win a single race.
What about a third? The Forkner effect?
yurcho44
6/10/2022 1:27pm
Hope he does well at Star Yamaha but I don’t see anyone beating the Lawrence brothers in SX next year.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
6/10/2022 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2022 1:54pm
yurcho44 wrote:
Hope he does well at Star Yamaha but I don’t see anyone beating the Lawrence brothers in SX next year.
Your opinion deserves big respect.

The Lawrence brothers are on a good team and they are both in a good HEADSPACE which is key to success. They are so comfy that they can bring in the Donuts Truck...

At this level success is in the head, it the absolute blady final piece of the puzzle to achieve the dream. JSmith, like many other riders are at the Pinnacle, it is hard to crack the nut.

Star Clocked something in Smith and they ain't rolling black or red, this is a well calculated decision and they will get their ROT.

mb60
6/10/2022 4:26pm
UpTiTe wrote:
What do you see happening with their 250 program? Why are all the young guys leaving? Stilez is leaving for some pretty specific reasons, and they...
What do you see happening with their 250 program? Why are all the young guys leaving? Stilez is leaving for some pretty specific reasons, and they say the whole team feels the same way.

What I see more then anything from Swoll and Stilez is they can't stay healthy and can't ride sx whoops for shit. I'm sure you know alot more then me behind the scenes. But until these kids can stay healthy and get better indoors does it matter ?
brocster
6/10/2022 5:00pm
Right on Jordan! Give’em hell!
VanDan
6/10/2022 6:53pm
I am surprised! Hats off to Star for giving him a shot. He is very talented.
wb173
6/10/2022 7:06pm
Wonder if the economy and future to pay as much has anything to do with this? Hope Smith takes advantage of this opportunity. Most wouldn't have even have made it as far as him to get this chance.
shuggs
6/11/2022 3:29am
Jeez tough crowd. Give the guy a break, here’s hoping for an injury free season to see what he can do. Have always watched for him since he broke leg at MEC futures
mx313
6/15/2022 1:55pm
Is he going to do some outdoors?
And I thought it was a little weird to move over now.
He was with fire power Honda. A team that most ppl think will have a team in world sx. He could have done the 3-4 rounds then shifted to star. He would have been a title threat and if he won would have been a massive confidence booster
6/15/2022 2:33pm
I nicknamed him "Crashin' Jordon Smith when he came to AX to get his SX points. He hasn't given me any reason to give him a new nickname.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/15/2022 2:40pm
mx313 wrote:
Is he going to do some outdoors? And I thought it was a little weird to move over now. He was with fire power Honda. A...
Is he going to do some outdoors?
And I thought it was a little weird to move over now.
He was with fire power Honda. A team that most ppl think will have a team in world sx. He could have done the 3-4 rounds then shifted to star. He would have been a title threat and if he won would have been a massive confidence booster
If he had stayed with Firepower through World SX, it would've have given him almost no time to switch to the Star bike before our SX series begins in 2023.
DonM
6/15/2022 2:51pm
UpTiTe wrote:
Stilez is next level talent, he just needs a good program.
mb60 wrote:
So rockstar factory Husky is not a good program ?
UpTiTe wrote:
What do you see happening with their 250 program? Why are all the young guys leaving? Stilez is leaving for some pretty specific reasons, and they...
What do you see happening with their 250 program? Why are all the young guys leaving? Stilez is leaving for some pretty specific reasons, and they say the whole team feels the same way.

Let me guess…it has something to do with Roger or Aldon….you just can’t help yourself can you…any chance you get…I think it has more to do with Bobby Hewitt leaving a few years ago and then Westphall leaving this year…
chasetwo79
6/15/2022 2:57pm
UpTiTe wrote:

mb60 wrote:
What I see more then anything from Swoll and Stilez is they can't stay healthy and can't ride sx whoops for shit. I'm sure you know...
What I see more then anything from Swoll and Stilez is they can't stay healthy and can't ride sx whoops for shit. I'm sure you know alot more then me behind the scenes. But until these kids can stay healthy and get better indoors does it matter ?
Swoll might be the worst factory whoops rider I have ever seen. He is so good and smooth everywhere else and just can’t get the whoops sorted. It’s 100 percent mental and he’s running out of time to figure it out. Guys like Jordan have things like this figured out. They still will post top tier qualifying speed. You can’t do that being a bouncing anchor in the whoops. This is why a 26 year old smith can get top tier rides again because you can always work with fast.
LungButter
6/15/2022 3:02pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
Swoll might be the worst factory whoops rider I have ever seen. He is so good and smooth everywhere else and just can’t get the whoops...
Swoll might be the worst factory whoops rider I have ever seen. He is so good and smooth everywhere else and just can’t get the whoops sorted. It’s 100 percent mental and he’s running out of time to figure it out. Guys like Jordan have things like this figured out. They still will post top tier qualifying speed. You can’t do that being a bouncing anchor in the whoops. This is why a 26 year old smith can get top tier rides again because you can always work with fast.
You are 100% correct.

"Working with fast" has definitely produced for the previous 3 Factory Teams he rode for.
chasetwo79
6/15/2022 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2022 3:08pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
Swoll might be the worst factory whoops rider I have ever seen. He is so good and smooth everywhere else and just can’t get the whoops...
LungButter wrote:
You are 100% correct.

"Working with fast" has definitely produced for the previous 3 Factory Teams he rode for.
I am most certainly not touting Jordan Smith’s record here. I think it’s more of a byproduct of the market this year that he got the job. But he did qualify top 5 a ton this season and finished 6th in points on a privateer bike. I thought for lowered expectations he did well. Now, they are higher again and he will either meet them like Christian Craig did with Star, or be a forever privateer moving forward. That’s a fun storyline.
AMetts
Fantasy
1631st
6/16/2022 7:59am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 7:59am
Really hoping he can capitalize on this oppurtunity.
My wife knows his wife and they are very nice people with a kid on the way as well, maybe some extra motivation to go for those bonus checks!
6/16/2022 9:56am
I sure hope while I'm scrolling through social media and/or Vital I don't see "Jordon Smith Out."
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
6/16/2022 11:04am
mb60 wrote:
So rockstar factory Husky is not a good program ?
UpTiTe wrote:

DonM wrote:
Let me guess…it has something to do with Roger or Aldon….you just can’t help yourself can you…any chance you get…I think it has more to do...
Let me guess…it has something to do with Roger or Aldon….you just can’t help yourself can you…any chance you get…I think it has more to do with Bobby Hewitt leaving a few years ago and then Westphall leaving this year…
And I suppose those two left because they were bored?

Go ahead and explain to me why their 250 program can’t produce anything with the best trainer and manager running the ship.
Sawfish
6/16/2022 12:47pm
I love how Star has so many riders… Hope it will become a trend with other teams as well.

Post a reply to: Jordon Smith Signs with Monster Energy Star Yamaha for 2023

The Latest