Jordon Smith Signs with Monster Energy Star Yamaha for 2023

Create New Tag

6/9/2022 11:34 AM

Falcon wrote:

Jordon Smith (and RJ Hampshire, for that matter,) have what I like to call "The Pastrana Factor." I'll explain:

For years, ...more

Sounds like AC as well. Might as well call it the "AC Effect"

|

2020 YZ250
2003 Buell XB9S
1967 Yamaha Bushmaster

6/9/2022 11:42 AM

Good for Jordan, I hope he's able to finally put it all together. I would say this is his "last chance" at a top factory ride.

|

6/9/2022 11:43 AM

Craig and Star also turned out really good. At first allot of people where talking the same way they do now with Jordon. Craig really turned his career around with a 2nd place a title now and look at the outdoor results.

It’s been for sure a gamble, but with wins and speed in the past it’s a gamble worth with not many guys available.

I think he will really improve with being full time at the goat farm with everybody on the grind and all the access to everything.

|

6/9/2022 11:47 AM

I hope Star can tame his riding style down a little bit and make him a little more consistent. He's fast as hell but can't stay off the ground. In hindsight I have no idea how he made it to Vegas leading the points grin

|

6/9/2022 11:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2022 11:51 AM

Yikes, what the hell is it that teams see in this guy?

|

6/9/2022 11:50 AM

We. Can. Work. With. Speed.

Don't see it paying off, but hopefully it does for all parties involved. He absolutely has the potential.

|

6/9/2022 11:56 AM

In team sports they call a guy like him a "Coach Killer." His talent is too enticing to pass up on and a coach (team managers in this case) thinks he can fix him but his tendency to wreck spectacularly is what costs coaches (team managers) their jobs.

|

Florida Trail Riders Area 4 Director
Volusia/Flagler Counties

6/9/2022 12:24 PM

Wasting a ride on a dude like this rather than new talent hurts the sport overall. Dude has had like 8-9 years to put it together. Let him fade out.

|

6/9/2022 12:39 PM

Juck wrote:

There's no way to say this without sounding like a dick but I don't get why a factory team would want to sign Jordon Smith. He ...more

His supercross resume is actually fairly similar to Christian Craig's prior to the 2022 season.

Craig (250 SX only): 50 starts, 3 wins, 14 podiums, 2 seasons of 150+ points

Smith: 54 starts, 3 wins, 14 podiums, 2 seasons of 150+ points

Craig made the main more often (97% vs 88%). Craig had more heat wins (14 vs 3).

Craig's best year-end finish was 3rd (20 points out of first). Smith's best was a 2nd (8 points out of first).

Smith is 4 years younger than Craig was.

|

6/9/2022 12:40 PM

swe292 wrote:

Wasting a ride on a dude like this rather than new talent hurts the sport overall. Dude has had like 8-9 years to put it ...more

So, what you're in effect saying is that Star Racing is not bringing enough young guys up. Think about that for just a minute.

Star has a great mix of veteran riders (Craig, JMart) and young guns (Kitchen, Thrasher) unfortunately for next year the cupboard is slightly bare for the vet 250 guy.

|

Florida Trail Riders Area 4 Director
Volusia/Flagler Counties

6/9/2022 1:13 PM

ML512 wrote:

Going into next season, Star Yamaha will have only have one 250 rider who's ever won a 250 main event, Nate Thrasher, who's a ...more

Really surprised they wouldn't try and get deegan moving along. He's 16 now, and still not going pro next year?

|

6/9/2022 1:14 PM

swe292 wrote:

Wasting a ride on a dude like this rather than new talent hurts the sport overall. Dude has had like 8-9 years to put it ...more

You're probably not wrong.

|

6/9/2022 2:07 PM

Conkey wrote:

Thought Stilez was going to Triumph?

|

6/9/2022 3:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2022 3:42 PM

ML512 wrote:

Triumph won't make the gate next year.

I was hearing a few weeks back not making the sx gate next year but outdoors was still planned. Any truth to that?

As far a Jordan people forget that some of his crashes and injuries from said crash were not because of him crashing but someone else crashing or landing running into him. Star made a mostly easy decision in bringing him in. Veteran who is faster then or as fast as all of their 2023 250 riders at this point in time. He can help with technique. He will have one of the best bikes vs a "privateer bike" which he beat most of the next years team on with a dedicated training facility and trainer. Top 10 in all but 3 races 5,6,5,8,6 his 13,14 east west and 11 were crashes with only 1 being his mistake if I'm remembering correctly. Missed one main and still finished 6th in points. Only current rider with no contract I can think of right now I would pick over him is Chizz.

|

6/9/2022 4:54 PM

I like the Stilez signing for next year. I do think he might take the next step possibly.

|

6/9/2022 4:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2022 4:59 PM

gt80rider wrote:

Big fan of Smith... but his best days are behind him.. kinda odd for Star to be signing a guy that is on the downhill side ...more

A lot of people were saying the same thing about Christian Craig when Star signed him, and that turned out pretty well...

|

6/9/2022 5:07 PM

Good for him, I want to see a resurgence.

|

6/9/2022 8:50 PM

mb60 wrote:

I like the Stilez signing for next year. I do think he might take the next step possibly.

Stilez is next level talent, he just needs a good program.

|

6/9/2022 11:27 PM

gt80rider wrote:

Big fan of Smith... but his best days are behind him.. kinda odd for Star to be signing a guy that is on the downhill side ...more

Sully wrote:

A lot of people were saying the same thing about Christian Craig when Star signed him, and that turned out pretty well...

And if Jordan pulls off a CC-SX 2022 kind of hat trick next year? Well, it’s gonna be awesome when this thread is resurrected for that reason!
grin

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

6/9/2022 11:38 PM

I was sort of wondering what was happening with Jordon, He was riding a honda during supercross, but was never really on pace with the top riders. Had a few good rides. maybe top 5 or so.
Good for him though. He was a supercross contender a few years back, crashed out as I recall.
Star seems like a really great fit for him. Like RJ also. Star should have went with RJ also.
I personally think RJ is the better outdoor guy.

|

6/10/2022 1:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2022 1:34 AM

There’s two effects: the Stewart/Jett effect, and the Craig/Friese/Brayton effect.
Either you throw your dice at somebody who could be a great, or you give a “consistent “ guy a shot, know what you’re going to get, and hope maybe he has something more in him than you realized. I think that in the next few years guys like Chisholm are gonna get some better rides because some of these teams are going to decide, hey, we’d rather have somebody in 8th every race than someone who maybeeee could win, but could also be on the ground every other race. A lot of “future superstars” haven’t planned out recently. The current ratio is 1 out 5 multiple time LL winners will win SX championships, and about 1 in 3.5 will even win a single race.

|

6/10/2022 6:11 AM

Respect to Jordon seeing this. He's ridden for some great teams and has had a lot of success but I feared he was on his way out. Pretty awesome to see him secure an opportunity like this to hopefully turn it around. I've been a fan since the TLD days and I hope to see him succeed!

|

"It's hot as hell out here." - Dennis Rodman

6/10/2022 6:29 AM

mb60 wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:

So rockstar factory Husky is not a good program ?

|

6/10/2022 7:07 AM

mb60 wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:

mb60 wrote:

Rockstar husky is a great team with a great bike and staffing. I think a lot of these kids need to look them selves in the mirror and ask if they are doing everything possible on and off the track to be a champion?

|

6/10/2022 7:22 AM

If he hasnt done it yet, he isnt going to.

Good rider, but cant last a season.

|

The only exercise i get these days, is shaking my head in disbelief

6/10/2022 7:38 AM

philG wrote:

If he hasnt done it yet, he isnt going to.

Good rider, but cant last a season.

Same thing could be said of Christian Craig before he went to Star. Hoping Smith turns it around at Star

|

6/10/2022 8:03 AM

All these people bashing smith but i bet he will be right there for the title threat next year. Looks like hes finally gonna leave MTF which he needed to do a long time ago. With his experience and how young the class is hes gonna be battling for the title next season. And for everyone saying lopes should get a spot yall wild. Has he even got a top 5 in sx? Look at Nichols he was getting podiums on the rock river bike against a stacked field with Webb, Joey, Craig and tons of other strong talent and these other guys that “deserve” Jordan’s spot dont even have top 5’s let alone podiums to there names. Get real people

|

6/10/2022 8:24 AM

mb60 wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:

mb60 wrote:

What do you see happening with their 250 program? Why are all the young guys leaving? Stilez is leaving for some pretty specific reasons, and they say the whole team feels the same way.

|

6/10/2022 8:39 AM

UpTiTe wrote:

What do you see happening with their 250 program? Why are all the young guys leaving? Stilez is leaving for some pretty ...more

Please share the reasons.

*Not doubting you, just genuinely curious to know.

|

6/10/2022 8:52 AM

mb60 wrote:

UpTiTe wrote:

What do you see happening with their 250 program? Why are all the young guys leaving? Stilez is leaving for some pretty ...more

LungButter wrote:

Please share the reasons.

*Not doubting you, just genuinely curious to know.

I see a staff turnover rate, everyone staying away from the program itself rider wise. Evan Ferry, Stiles Robertson, they are all leaving the program. Nathan Ramsey I'm sure is helping but it will take time. It seems the best 250 Austrian team is GAS GAS and they were being doubted 2 short years ago as TLD KTM with riders leaving.

|