Jordon Smith Signs with Monster Energy Star Yamaha for 2023

ML512
Fantasy
54th
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 5:44pm
Welp, we got this one right a couple weeks. Jordon Smith has officially signed with Monster Energy Star Yamaha for the 2023 season. Check out the PR below.

Monster Energy Yamaha Star Racing Signs Jordon Smith
The Monster Energy Yamaha Star Racing 250 team is pleased to announce the addition of Jordon Smith to their 2023 roster in the Monster Energy AMA Supercross and Lucas Oil Pro Motocross championships.

Smith has three wins and multiple podiums in the 250 Supercross class and took the runner-up spot in the 250SX East Championship in 2018. It’s been a tough few years for the rider from Belmont, North Carolina, who was sidelined with injuries the following seasons. Back to full fitness, a reenergized Smith is hungrier than ever and ready to come out swinging next season with Yamaha.

Jensen Hendler, Monster Energy Yamaha Star Racing 250 team manager:
“We are excited to get things started with Jordon as we have the resources to help him be very successful next year. Jordon has shown potential in the past, and we look forward to a successful 2023!”

Jordon Smith, Monster Energy Yamaha Star Racing
“I’m really excited to be joining the Monster Energy Yamaha Star Racing team. After a few rough years, this past year was a building year for me. My goal was to get back to a factory team, and after all of the hard work I put in, I landed on the best team out there. I’m really excited to get to work and see what I can do working with this great group of people!”
|
DA498
6/9/2022 8:50am
Great opportunity for him. Somewhat surprised.
Mossy940
6/9/2022 8:50am
If someone can keep Jordan off the ground, he is 100% a title threat.

If he can’t stay off the ground and can’t get it done here with Star, Jordan will be high up in the “he just never put it together” category

The Shop

Juck
Fantasy
330th
6/9/2022 8:53am
There's no way to say this without sounding like a dick but I don't get why a factory team would want to sign Jordon Smith. He doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy and even when he is it doesn't even seem like he has podium speed.

Don't have anything against the guy though and I wish him all the best.
cwel11
6/9/2022 8:57am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2022 8:58am
Wish him the best, but man it seems like him and RJ Hampshire have been around and getting rides forever but can’t stay on two wheels enough to get the results they should. Maybe this time will be different for him though.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/9/2022 8:58am
Juck wrote:
There's no way to say this without sounding like a dick but I don't get why a factory team would want to sign Jordon Smith. He...
There's no way to say this without sounding like a dick but I don't get why a factory team would want to sign Jordon Smith. He doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy and even when he is it doesn't even seem like he has podium speed.

Going into next season, Star Yamaha will have only have one 250 rider who's ever won a 250 main event, Nate Thrasher, who's a bit inconsistent still. Jordon Smith, I believe, is the only rider available who has multiple main event wins to his credit and has come down to the final round in the championship fight.

They need to gamble a little to have a shot at a Supercross 250 title next year. It's probably a fairly low salary deal and kind of a gamble, but if Jordan can get it together he can have a legitimate shot. Which Star needs on a 250 lineup consisting of Thrasher, Kitchen, Romano, and possibly LeBlanc in 2023. Stilez Robertson will also be joining the team.
Cortami79
6/9/2022 8:59am
Hope for him that he can stay off the ground for a least a year.. man that guy has his fair share of crashes and injuries.
gt80rider
6/9/2022 9:02am
Big fan of Smith... but his best days are behind him.. kinda odd for Star to be signing a guy that is on the downhill side when they have so many up and comers in the que...
McG194
6/9/2022 9:04am
Sounds like Star is mailing it in until the Lawrences are out of the class and their speedy youngsters are ready to fight for titles.
Juck
Fantasy
330th
6/9/2022 9:07am
Juck wrote:
There's no way to say this without sounding like a dick but I don't get why a factory team would want to sign Jordon Smith. He...

ML512 wrote:
Going into next season, Star Yamaha will have only have one 250 rider who's ever won a 250 main event, Nate Thrasher, who's a bit inconsistent...
Going into next season, Star Yamaha will have only have one 250 rider who's ever won a 250 main event, Nate Thrasher, who's a bit inconsistent still. Jordon Smith, I believe, is the only rider available who has multiple main event wins to his credit and has come down to the final round in the championship fight.

They need to gamble a little to have a shot at a Supercross 250 title next year. It's probably a fairly low salary deal and kind of a gamble, but if Jordan can get it together he can have a legitimate shot. Which Star needs on a 250 lineup consisting of Thrasher, Kitchen, Romano, and possibly LeBlanc in 2023. Stilez Robertson will also be joining the team.
I get that but I thought that Hampshire was gunning for a Star ride? Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd much rather take RJ, although he'd almost certainly demand a larger salary than Jordon, but then again on the other hand when has that mattered to Star? I hate saying this as some random guy on the internet who's never raced a pro race but I just don't see how you could say that Jordon Smith has earned a factory ride, let alone one on the most desired team. He really lucked into this one.

How much longer are Lopes' and Marchbanks' contracts? Is Oldenburg available? I'd also take Freckle over Smith.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/9/2022 9:29am
Juck wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Going into next season, Star Yamaha will have only have one 250 rider who's ever won a 250 main event, Nate Thrasher, who's a bit inconsistent...

Juck wrote:
I get that but I thought that Hampshire was gunning for a Star ride? Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd much rather take RJ, although...
I get that but I thought that Hampshire was gunning for a Star ride? Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd much rather take RJ, although he'd almost certainly demand a larger salary than Jordon, but then again on the other hand when has that mattered to Star? I hate saying this as some random guy on the internet who's never raced a pro race but I just don't see how you could say that Jordon Smith has earned a factory ride, let alone one on the most desired team. He really lucked into this one.

How much longer are Lopes' and Marchbanks' contracts? Is Oldenburg available? I'd also take Freckle over Smith.
Oldenburg has rode for them before, says he's happier where he is now and gets paid much more.

Marchbanks and Lopes contracts are up and are available. Lopes wants SX only though.

RJ just got his first ever SX win this year, right about the time this deal with Jordan was getting done.
TeamGreen
6/9/2022 9:39am
ML512 wrote:

Juck wrote:
I get that but I thought that Hampshire was gunning for a Star ride? Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd much rather take RJ, although...

ML512 wrote:
Oldenburg has rode for them before, says he's happier where he is now and gets paid much more. Marchbanks and Lopes contracts are up and are...
Oldenburg has rode for them before, says he's happier where he is now and gets paid much more.

Marchbanks and Lopes contracts are up and are available. Lopes wants SX only though.

RJ just got his first ever SX win this year, right about the time this deal with Jordan was getting done.
Doesn't RJ have another year left w/Rstar?
Moto520
6/9/2022 9:40am
that's a good match. He has the speed and is definitely is a title contender!
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/9/2022 9:54am
Juck wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Oldenburg has rode for them before, says he's happier where he is now and gets paid much more. Marchbanks and Lopes contracts are up and are...

TeamGreen wrote:
Doesn't RJ have another year left w/Rstar?
No. His contract was up but he's been offered an extension from what I'm aware.
Conkey
6/9/2022 10:14am
Thought Stilez was going to Triumph?
JBlain619
6/9/2022 10:16am
ML512 wrote:

Juck wrote:

ML512 wrote:

Marchbanks is signed through 2023 with Club
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/9/2022 10:26am
JBlain619 wrote:
Marchbanks is signed through 2023 with Club
Not according to Garrett.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/9/2022 10:26am
Conkey wrote:
Thought Stilez was going to Triumph?
Triumph won't make the gate next year.
183Matt
Fantasy
1637th
6/9/2022 10:43am
Good for Jordan. Dude is wicked fast when healthy and has won before.
Zycki11
6/9/2022 11:06am
Smart move signing him early and getting a jump on prep for next year. Smith does have great potential and he stayed healthy this year to help with next season. Stars program will allow him to train with all of the riders, make quick changes to the bike and give him the confidence heading into next season. Would have preferred to see Forkner on Star but Kawi wants his services still.

Marchbanks at Club seems to be a great fit and they are trending up with more support from Yamaha as well as overall structure.
Zycki11
6/9/2022 11:06am
Oh yeah, great call by Miguel Lindcheso on Smith to Star a month back
motomx88
6/9/2022 11:14am
Wageman deserves a ride like this. Get him on a better bike and program to see what he can do. He finished 9th overall and missed the final race.
gt80rider
6/9/2022 11:18am
ML512 wrote:
Triumph won't make the gate next year.
"...won't make the gate any year"..

There... fixed it for ya! Lol

But seriously... nobody can sign with triumph until they are 10000 percent sure a bike, and race team, actually exists... and that is not the case right now....
Zycki11
6/9/2022 11:18am
motomx88 wrote:
Wageman deserves a ride like this. Get him on a better bike and program to see what he can do. He finished 9th overall and missed...
Wageman deserves a ride like this. Get him on a better bike and program to see what he can do. He finished 9th overall and missed the final race.
I could see Wagemen at Club or BarX. I do think he is talented but it is a large stretch to go to Star. If he starts posting top 5's consistently? Sure
LungButter
6/9/2022 11:20am
Seems like once these 250 guys land a factory ride they are able to stay on the "factory train" for a long ass time, even when results don't necessarily show they still deserve that level of ride.

Not often though we see a 250 guy drop to a lesser Team and then get back in with the Factory Teams.

Good for him, hopefully he can make the most of it. 4th times a charm maybe?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/9/2022 11:28am
Jordon Smith (and RJ Hampshire, for that matter,) have what I like to call "The Pastrana Factor." I'll explain:

For years, Roger D. kept signing Travis Pastrana to team Suzuki because he was popular, entertaining, and had the potential to catch fire and become a champion. I imagine it kept Roger up at night wondering what would happen if he let #199 go. Imagine if Travis got signed to Honda and then racked up a bunch of titles on a red bike instead of yellow?

For the same reason, guys who have that extra measure of blazing speed get considered over riders with more consistency. Teams don't want to miss out. As they say, "you can work with speed." A year from now, if Jordon Smith is the 250E SX Champion, nobody is going to be surprised, although right now it seems like he is never healthy.
6/9/2022 11:34am
Falcon wrote:
Jordon Smith (and RJ Hampshire, for that matter,) have what I like to call "The Pastrana Factor." I'll explain: For years, Roger D. kept signing Travis...
Jordon Smith (and RJ Hampshire, for that matter,) have what I like to call "The Pastrana Factor." I'll explain:

For years, Roger D. kept signing Travis Pastrana to team Suzuki because he was popular, entertaining, and had the potential to catch fire and become a champion. I imagine it kept Roger up at night wondering what would happen if he let #199 go. Imagine if Travis got signed to Honda and then racked up a bunch of titles on a red bike instead of yellow?

For the same reason, guys who have that extra measure of blazing speed get considered over riders with more consistency. Teams don't want to miss out. As they say, "you can work with speed." A year from now, if Jordon Smith is the 250E SX Champion, nobody is going to be surprised, although right now it seems like he is never healthy.
Sounds like AC as well. Might as well call it the "AC Effect"

Post a reply to: Jordon Smith Signs with Monster Energy Star Yamaha for 2023

The Latest