Joker Lane diaries

Johnny Depp
Be done with it. Throughout the whole race the track positions mean nothing since you don't know who has and hasn't done the Joker other than the leaders?
|
Beeby
10/16/2017 8:02pm
I thought this was the future?! People were talking about adding them to supercross
JackkyT
10/16/2017 8:51pm
I think the Joker lane should be a set of whoops, so that you can make the lane faster or slower depending on how quick you hit them.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/16/2017 8:56pm
Beeby wrote:
I thought this was the future?! People were talking about adding them to supercross
I’ve yet to meet these people you speak of.
Beeby
10/16/2017 9:00pm
Beeby wrote:
GuyB wrote:
So I’m the first person to ever mention the idea of joker lanes being added to supercross?

The Shop

10/16/2017 9:01pm
Just a thought here.. what if they made the Joker Lane just a alternate rhythm that they have to take 3 times throughout the race? I feel there could be a little more strategy in that as it's not just one and done but a lot more potential for riders to forget it.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
10/16/2017 9:12pm
Just a thought here.. what if they made the Joker Lane just a alternate rhythm that they have to take 3 times throughout the race? I...
Just a thought here.. what if they made the Joker Lane just a alternate rhythm that they have to take 3 times throughout the race? I feel there could be a little more strategy in that as it's not just one and done but a lot more potential for riders to forget it.
they struggled to remember it once a race when it was slower,

the whoops idea had a bit of merit tho, the making it faster was a flop as most took it straight away, and if you did not, you took it the next lap rather than try to pass people on a very hard to pass layout,

Tomac's slow everyone up at the last round made better viewing, maybe they need to send out a blocker,
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/17/2017 12:56am
Beeby wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Beeby wrote:
So I’m the first person to ever mention the idea of joker lanes being added to supercross?
They've talked about adding the Monster Cup format at some of the rounds and by that I mean the three 10 lap main events but not the joker lane.

The joker lane is a gimmick that was added to the MEC cup after Villopoto won the Monster Million the first year they had the event. It was added in order to lessen the chance of someone winning the million dollars and that has worked up until this year when RC4 decided to make the joker lane faster.
Johnny Depp
10/17/2017 6:18am
GuyB wrote:
Beeby wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
They've talked about adding the Monster Cup format at some of the rounds and by that I mean the three 10 lap main events but not...
They've talked about adding the Monster Cup format at some of the rounds and by that I mean the three 10 lap main events but not the joker lane.

The joker lane is a gimmick that was added to the MEC cup after Villopoto won the Monster Million the first year they had the event. It was added in order to lessen the chance of someone winning the million dollars and that has worked up until this year when RC4 decided to make the joker lane faster.
Crazy conspiracy theory there Maverick.

The only thing it is accomplishing is confusion. Having an alternate route is a waste of floor space, (just like the split start), has created no memorable drama, has caused the world's best rider's to end up looking like fools (because they forgot it) makes the race position ticker incomplete (since you can't tell who hasn't done the joker) and I could go on.

If you want to add interest and drama and put a stop to consistent results, a slow speed technical Endurocross style section of the track which must be used every lap would accomplish it. You need riders "tumping over" without high speed risk. The racing would be far better slowed down.
10/17/2017 6:37am
GuyB wrote:
Beeby wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
They've talked about adding the Monster Cup format at some of the rounds and by that I mean the three 10 lap main events but not...

I don’t think the joker lane had anything to do with Marvin winning the million. Once Tomac crashed out he was on cruise control out front.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/17/2017 7:49am
Beeby wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

I don’t think the joker lane had anything to do with Marvin winning the million. Once Tomac crashed out he was on cruise control out front.
Tomac crashing and pulling out made it is easier for Musquin but there's no denying that if the joker lane had been slower and not faster there would of been a higher chance of him not going 1-1-1 and taking home the million. He would of maybe taken the overall at the end of the night but would more than likely have lost a main to Anderson.
10/17/2017 8:07am
Highlight a riders overlay box a different color after they take it. Problem solved. This isn't a difficult issue to solve.
mx_563
10/17/2017 8:17am
Amazing how much fun it is to watch an outdoor national with its lack of gimmicks.

Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Johnny Depp
10/17/2017 8:33am
Highlight a riders overlay box a different color after they take it. Problem solved. This isn't a difficult issue to solve.
Correct, for the people watching TV that are willing to take their eyes off the action and watch the scroll. The paying fans have a tougher time.
SKlein
10/17/2017 9:14am
You're speaking about the TV broadcast right? They already do that exact thing. It was just the green bar next to their name. They did it last year as well I'm almost certain.
10/17/2017 10:00am
SKlein wrote:
You're speaking about the TV broadcast right? They already do that exact thing. It was just the green bar next to their name. They did it...
You're speaking about the TV broadcast right? They already do that exact thing. It was just the green bar next to their name. They did it last year as well I'm almost certain.
Can't they (do they?) do the same thing on the video boards at the stadium? They have a running order over the live feed at all the SX races.
LoudLove
10/17/2017 10:06am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 10:34am
"If you want to add interest and drama and put a stop to consistent results, a slow speed technical Endurocross style section of the track which must be used every lap would accomplish it. You need riders "tumping over" without high speed risk. The racing would be far better slowed down."

This idea has merit. The joker lane adds a few seconds of anticipation, but has not demonstrated the ability to impact race results. Unless your name is Ryan Dungey...
10/17/2017 11:15am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Tomac crashing and pulling out made it is easier for Musquin but there's no denying that if the joker lane had been slower and not faster...
Tomac crashing and pulling out made it is easier for Musquin but there's no denying that if the joker lane had been slower and not faster there would of been a higher chance of him not going 1-1-1 and taking home the million. He would of maybe taken the overall at the end of the night but would more than likely have lost a main to Anderson.
Please do explain your logic on how Anderson would beat Marvin had the joker lane been longer. This I have to hear.
RangerLee
10/17/2017 11:32am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Tomac crashing and pulling out made it is easier for Musquin but there's no denying that if the joker lane had been slower and not faster...
Agreed, since the joker lane was faster, almost everyone took it early, lap 2 or 3, it was just a normal race with everyone going the same way on the same lap.

When it is slower, then most wait until near the end of the race, and as we have seen, it can be forgotten as well.

To get real cheesy, they can keep the joker lane closed until after lap 5 and it is opened once the first place rider passes it, then they open it so those behind get the quick trip closing the gap. At least until lap 6 when the leader can take it.

I do not want to see that though.

MEC, have a slow joker lane if they want it, keep it out of SX
crockett
10/17/2017 12:08pm
Make it faster but very technical with s higher risk of making a mistake. A tough double right out of a corner? Maybe it's faster if you charge and hit it right
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/17/2017 12:26pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Please do explain your logic on how Anderson would beat Marvin had the joker lane been longer. This I have to hear.
Faster joker lane = no strategy, slim chance of positions changing.

Slower joker lane = strategy involved, better chance of losing positions depending on when you take it.

Had the joker lane been longer and Anderson would of taken it before Musquin he would have gained time on him after coming out of it. This year's track was hard to pass pass on so a longer joker lane would of played a bigger part in the outcome of the race. Say Anderson would of been fairly close after he already took the joker lane and Musquin took it a few laps after, it would have been really difficult for Musquin to gain back the lead if he had lost it while taking the joker lane.

Not to mention this year it was positioned where it was easy to remember to take it. In year's past a couple guys forgot to take it because it wasn't positioned properly.

Either it's a stupid gimmick that should have no part in the regular SX season.
Awood
Fantasy
4211th
10/17/2017 12:39pm
Faster Joker lane with a difference of 1 second or 2 max would be best. So that it could be used for a single position pass only. 5-6 seconds makes them take it instantly. If it was shorter it would provide more strategy.
Awood
Fantasy
4211th
10/17/2017 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2017 12:41pm
JeepnMike
10/17/2017 1:00pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Faster joker lane = no strategy, slim chance of positions changing. Slower joker lane = strategy involved, better chance of losing positions depending on when you...

Slower joker lane = strategy involved, better chance of losing positions depending on when you take it.

Had the joker lane been longer and Anderson would of taken it before Musquin he would have gained time on him after coming out of it. This year's track was hard to pass pass on so a longer joker lane would of played a bigger part in the outcome of the race. Say Anderson would of been fairly close after he already took the joker lane and Musquin took it a few laps after, it would have been really difficult for Musquin to gain back the lead if he had lost it while taking the joker lane.

Not to mention this year it was positioned where it was easy to remember to take it. In year's past a couple guys forgot to take it because it wasn't positioned properly.

Nothing to do with the joker lane, but you mentioned the track being difficult to pass on. I remember watching the race seeing a lot of passing and thinking to myself the opposite, compared to half of the SX tracks, there was plenty of places to pass on that track. Not trying to counter-point or get all Vital, I just thought the track was great for passing.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/17/2017 1:08pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Faster joker lane = no strategy, slim chance of positions changing. Slower joker lane = strategy involved, better chance of losing positions depending on when you...

JeepnMike wrote:
Nothing to do with the joker lane, but you mentioned the track being difficult to pass on. I remember watching the race seeing a lot of...
Nothing to do with the joker lane, but you mentioned the track being difficult to pass on. I remember watching the race seeing a lot of passing and thinking to myself the opposite, compared to half of the SX tracks, there was plenty of places to pass on that track. Not trying to counter-point or get all Vital, I just thought the track was great for passing.
Didn't see much action up front but the superminis and amateur all stars was fun to watch.
10/18/2017 6:29am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2017 6:31am
in order to pass, you actually have to be faster than the guy in front of you. expect to see lots of hard to pass all SX season

The joker lane being faster was great concept, but everyone taking it at the same time was boring. It needs to lengthen the lap times, so riders are reluctant yet forced to take it
ATHEIST
Fantasy
939th
10/18/2017 12:58pm
JOKER LANE IS A JOKE
Knobbyjake
10/18/2017 6:55pm
That whole race is a joke. Totally boring.
andyman
10/18/2017 10:43pm
What people dont understand is that is easier for fast guys to win with joker lane, not harder. That is why it originally came to motorsport. It does not matter if its faster or slower. The idea behind joker lane is to make passing easier.
10/19/2017 12:12am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

the joker lane being slower does not mean there’s a higher chance of losing positions.

everyone has to take it. it only means the amount of time to get thro the section is slower. there’s no more strategy in a slower lane then there is in a faster lane. you’re looking at it as if only marvin had to go thro it.
10/19/2017 12:24am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Didn't see much action up front but the superminis and amateur all stars was fun to watch.
anderson taking the joker lane before marvin does not mean he’s guaranteed to make time on marvin. you do get that right?

for one lap it will look like he’s ahead. until marvin takes it. didn’t you see what happened with tomac and marvin?

i honestly don’t think you understand how this all works. there’s a chance a rider can gain or lose time going through a fast or slow joker lane (as well as any part of the track) but you can’t state that based on the joker lane being a certain way that a rider taking it at a certain point would have gained or lost a certain amount of time.

assuming what you said with mm and anderson had been done....marv was in front of anderson. so if anderson took it first then yes for however many laps marv didn’t take it, it would look like anderson was in front of him but (going by factual lap times) as soon as marv took the joker lane he would have been back in front of anderson so the hard pass concept you talk about wouldn’t have happened.

i don’t know how else to explain it

that’s like me saying if the sweeping corner coming back into the stadium wasn’t wet Tomac would have won

Post a reply to: Joker Lane diaries

The Latest