John Tomac and DC

Excaliburbmx
9/6/2019 7:12am
TXDirt wrote:
I know not one person in my small circle who genuinely gives a crap about the MEC. This race was conceived in a marketing meeting. That’s...
I know not one person in my small circle who genuinely gives a crap about the MEC. This race was conceived in a marketing meeting. That’s it. The fact it has money behind it is literally the only reason the riders race it. And yes fans watch because it’s on. But to think fans hold the MEC in any regard is foolish. It’s a gimmicky race that’s held when there are no other races. So sure I’ll flip it on. But it’s meaningless otherwise.

It’s not good for US motocross to go to the MXDN and continually get spanked. Not good for the teams, the big riders, the AMA Pro Racing, MX Sports or for Monster Energy Athletes in general.

RedBud absolutely has solidified that US motocross is not up to par with the rest of the world. So why from a marketing perspective would you make you own product look like garbage.

Fact: US riders are behind when in comes to the big leagues of motocross.

There is no need to continue to prove that point. The top dogs reside in Europe. And that cannot be disputed. You can dispute the whys all day long. But the best outdoor riders are in Europe.

I give big props to the US riders going. And the teams supporting them.
gantry25 wrote:
It's amazing to me how some believe the US riders can go from being so fast to being non competitive in 2 or 3 short years.
Mostly the ones who are resentful and hate on the USA for the years of domination.
The redbud mud race where Tomac was the only one with decent results on a new bike and the other two had bad days. Yes the USA as a team had a bad year and has not won this event in six years.

When we win again is will be cool but this race isn’t as important to the USA riders factories etc as it used to be. Holding two mxgp races in the USA yearly would probably help that.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/6/2019 7:23am
TXDirt wrote:
I know not one person in my small circle who genuinely gives a crap about the MEC. This race was conceived in a marketing meeting. That’s...
I know not one person in my small circle who genuinely gives a crap about the MEC. This race was conceived in a marketing meeting. That’s it. The fact it has money behind it is literally the only reason the riders race it. And yes fans watch because it’s on. But to think fans hold the MEC in any regard is foolish. It’s a gimmicky race that’s held when there are no other races. So sure I’ll flip it on. But it’s meaningless otherwise.

It’s not good for US motocross to go to the MXDN and continually get spanked. Not good for the teams, the big riders, the AMA Pro Racing, MX Sports or for Monster Energy Athletes in general.

RedBud absolutely has solidified that US motocross is not up to par with the rest of the world. So why from a marketing perspective would you make you own product look like garbage.

There is no need to continue to prove that point. The top dogs reside in Europe. And that cannot be disputed. You can dispute the whys all day long. But the best outdoor riders are in Europe.

In other news the Euros were better in the mud then and they are better now. Not so shocking is it.
Barrzy256
9/6/2019 7:32am
How was this never a problem when USA was mopping the floor with every other nation?
RC trained harder, and won more races than any of these modern pros, never was a problem for him to go represent his country was it? 🤷🏼‍♂️
mxb2
9/6/2019 7:42am
TXDirt wrote:

gantry25 wrote:
It's amazing to me how some believe the US riders can go from being so fast to being non competitive in 2 or 3 short years.
Mostly the ones who are resentful and hate on the USA for the years of domination. The redbud mud race where Tomac was the only one...
Mostly the ones who are resentful and hate on the USA for the years of domination.
The redbud mud race where Tomac was the only one with decent results on a new bike and the other two had bad days. Yes the USA as a team had a bad year and has not won this event in six years.

When we win again is will be cool but this race isn’t as important to the USA riders factories etc as it used to be. Holding two mxgp races in the USA yearly would probably help that.
Yep, and fans need to attend the races.

The Shop

DC
9/6/2019 7:56am
How was this never a problem when USA was mopping the floor with every other nation?
Barrzy256 wrote:
RC trained harder, and won more races than any of these modern pros, never was a problem for him to go represent his country was it...
RC trained harder, and won more races than any of these modern pros, never was a problem for him to go represent his country was it? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Unfortunately, yes, it was a problem in 2004.

DC
Racer X
Excaliburbmx
9/6/2019 8:29am
gantry25 wrote:
Mostly the ones who are resentful and hate on the USA for the years of domination. The redbud mud race where Tomac was the only one...

mxb2 wrote:
Yep, and fans need to attend the races.
You can’t just randomly do something and expect results. They need to do a yearly commitment and it will increase attention in time.
TXDirt
9/6/2019 8:56am
TXDirt wrote:

gantry25 wrote:
I didn't say the US doesn't have fast riders. Certainly we do. The Euros have been closing the gap for a good 15 years. And over the last 7-10 years have surpassed US riders when it comes to Outdoors. This has been evident at the MXDN and obviously when JH came to Ironman and won handily. As far as RedBud, well I wouldn't call it a mud race but more soft and soggy. I really thought the conditions did not hinder us a much as some might use that as an excuse.

I certainly was on the US bandwagon right up to the point when RV went to Europe and yes was competitive but also was beaten handily most weekends. Guys were beating him I didn't really know. I really thought RV was going to go over there and wax everyone and I was certainly proven wrong. And I get it that RV wasn't 100% into the whole thing but I would have bet that even an 80% RV would have won handily. That certainly opened my eyes a lot more to what was going on over the pond.

So this certainly has not happened over the last 2-3 years if you have been following the sport. US dominance has been slowly eroding to the point we are happy with just a podium now. I can't recall a time previous to when that would happen.
mxb2
9/6/2019 8:59am
Barrzy256 wrote:
RC trained harder, and won more races than any of these modern pros, never was a problem for him to go represent his country was it...
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Quit postings facts lol
Mr. Afterbar
9/6/2019 9:03am
TXDirt wrote:
I didn't say the US doesn't have fast riders. Certainly we do. The Euros have been closing the gap for a good 15 years. And over...
I didn't say the US doesn't have fast riders. Certainly we do. The Euros have been closing the gap for a good 15 years. And over the last 7-10 years have surpassed US riders when it comes to Outdoors. This has been evident at the MXDN and obviously when JH came to Ironman and won handily. As far as RedBud, well I wouldn't call it a mud race but more soft and soggy. I really thought the conditions did not hinder us a much as some might use that as an excuse.

I certainly was on the US bandwagon right up to the point when RV went to Europe and yes was competitive but also was beaten handily most weekends. Guys were beating him I didn't really know. I really thought RV was going to go over there and wax everyone and I was certainly proven wrong. And I get it that RV wasn't 100% into the whole thing but I would have bet that even an 80% RV would have won handily. That certainly opened my eyes a lot more to what was going on over the pond.

So this certainly has not happened over the last 2-3 years if you have been following the sport. US dominance has been slowly eroding to the point we are happy with just a podium now. I can't recall a time previous to when that would happen.
I don’t know about you, but I’m not happy with just a podium. It’s a great race to watch regardless of the result, but it’s a lot more fun when your country is being shown on TV and doing well. Red Bud was a bad day for Team USA. Herlings is the fastest guy in MX when he isn’t hurt. The fastest US rider has done I think 8 series’ now without missing multiple races due to injury. The rest of the MXGP guys are no better than what the USA has to offer from it's best and that’s been proven. Cairoli and Eli were pretty evenly matched at Jacksonville MXGP. One bad year and everyone thinks the USA motocrooss level has plummeted. If all three guys put in rides that they are capable of at Assen, I’ll be surprised to see them off one of the top two steps. I’m not taking anything away from the MXGP riders.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/6/2019 9:47am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2019 9:48am
TXDirt wrote:
I didn't say the US doesn't have fast riders. Certainly we do. The Euros have been closing the gap for a good 15 years. And over...

So you thought an 80% RV was gonna go cross the pond after not racing MX for a year and half and beat someone like AC? Without realizing it your part of the problem. Was guys with that attitude that did not give AC the time of day until he won the 2012 MxDN O/A even though he had 6 world titles already.

Just to stir the pot a bit, since 2015 when the GP came to America till now. The country with the biggest variety of winners in a FIM MX event (GPs/MxDN) is.... America. America is the last country to sweep a Moto podium and that was without the “top” riders. The last country to have guys go 1-2 in two diffrerent classes in a GP was America. These were both done deep into the “losing” MxDN streak. In a three span in from 15 to 17, Six different Yanks won a GP O/A plus another one won a Moto and two guys won an MXDN Moto. That makes 9 diffrerent winners.... of course the US is not as strong as 14 let’s say when you had RV,Stew,RD and canard retire. Three of those being in there 20’s. Hard to replace guys that quick, Even for the USA.

The US was never has dominant indvidually as Matthes and Weedge like to say. Filling people with disallusion. Ward and Bailey had motos in the MxDN outside of the Top 5 where they were complete non factors, obviously they won some too. Bradshaw never did well there. After the second most dominate MxDN ever in 96 the Us team was Outside of the top 5 for 2-3 years. The US media is the problem and the sheep eat it up. Stanton had to basically singe handley bail us out for wins like Febvre for France. Had the the US won the MxDN In 13 and 16 like they probably should have these conversations don’t exist.

To fill people in on how clueless the American Media about the GPs is, I just heard Pingree say Coldenhoff is not having a great year. Had no idea he just won back to back GPs and is riding better than ever.
TXDirt
9/6/2019 10:18am
TXDirt wrote:

Park Boys wrote:
So you thought an 80% RV was gonna go cross the pond after not racing MX for a year and half and beat someone like AC...
So you thought an 80% RV was gonna go cross the pond after not racing MX for a year and half and beat someone like AC? Without realizing it your part of the problem. Was guys with that attitude that did not give AC the time of day until he won the 2012 MxDN O/A even though he had 6 world titles already.

Just to stir the pot a bit, since 2015 when the GP came to America till now. The country with the biggest variety of winners in a FIM MX event (GPs/MxDN) is.... America. America is the last country to sweep a Moto podium and that was without the “top” riders. The last country to have guys go 1-2 in two diffrerent classes in a GP was America. These were both done deep into the “losing” MxDN streak. In a three span in from 15 to 17, Six different Yanks won a GP O/A plus another one won a Moto and two guys won an MXDN Moto. That makes 9 diffrerent winners.... of course the US is not as strong as 14 let’s say when you had RV,Stew,RD and canard retire. Three of those being in there 20’s. Hard to replace guys that quick, Even for the USA.

The US was never has dominant indvidually as Matthes and Weedge like to say. Filling people with disallusion. Ward and Bailey had motos in the MxDN outside of the Top 5 where they were complete non factors, obviously they won some too. Bradshaw never did well there. After the second most dominate MxDN ever in 96 the Us team was Outside of the top 5 for 2-3 years. The US media is the problem and the sheep eat it up. Stanton had to basically singe handley bail us out for wins like Febvre for France. Had the the US won the MxDN In 13 and 16 like they probably should have these conversations don’t exist.

To fill people in on how clueless the American Media about the GPs is, I just heard Pingree say Coldenhoff is not having a great year. Had no idea he just won back to back GPs and is riding better than ever.
Oh I agree with you. I didn’t give enough respect to the Euros. I’m a big fan now. I’m an old school guy who loves the outdoors. Those GP tracks separate the men from the boys for sure.
peltier626
9/6/2019 11:12am
Pride, dignity, legacy and respect mean far more and last far longer than a riders bank account to fans. I never cared about Anderson, Osborne or...
Pride, dignity, legacy and respect mean far more and last far longer than a riders bank account to fans. I never cared about Anderson, Osborne or Cooper before but they are now my favorite riders and I will support the companies that support them out of principle for the upcoming sx & mx series. To many this has been the greatest race of the year for 50+ years. If it is a waste to you move on. Don't watch. Don't comment. It's really that simple.
How could you not have liked Osborne, the dude took the long, hard route to get where he's at today. He has a ton of determination, never speaks out of line or disrespectful and wears his heart on his sleeve (out on the track). All while raising a family. The dude's an American motocross hero and is becoming one of my favorite riders. Jason has more flare and style than just about any other 450 rider out there, seems to be always having a good time and enjoying riding his dirtbike and actually seems to be having fun. I think Cooper's yet to prove his position among his fellow motocrossers but his time will come.
kpiper
9/6/2019 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2019 2:36pm
1) Team USA will challenge for the win.

2) Yes, racers of the past like Marty Smith and Bob Hannah trained as hard as any rider of any era. Hannah did things no racer today would do I am sure. Like keep the a/c off in his hotel room in Florida and ride his bike until it ran out of gas and then push it back to the truck.

3) RV2 probably would have won the GP title had he not gotten hurt. He would have raced himself into shape by series end. Too bad he did not go there in top shape but...

4) It is impossible to know who is faster Herlings/Tomac, Euro/USA because they don't race each other in a whole series.
gantry25
9/6/2019 3:47pm
TXDirt wrote:

gantry25 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:

The past 7 to 10 years have surpassed US riders outdoors?

Tomac destroyed the MXGP guys in 2016 at the two USGP's. He won all 4 motos. and it wasn't even close. That was accomplished when Tomac was not at his peak. This is what has lead to the MXGP fans piling on against Tomac when he doesn't win. They just have to prove to themselves that what Tomac did to the MXGP field was an anomaly. It wasn't. Tomac, when he is on, can beat anyone in the world including Herlings.

Webb also came from way back to beat Herlings when Herlings completely dominated the year in MX2. Forkner also beat Herlings in a moto.

Same goes for Herlings ride at Ironman. The guy absolutely destroyed the AMA field regardless of what excuses are made for the Americans. He did it on a borrowed bike and visiting the track for the first time. At this point in time IMHO Herlings is the best outdoor rider in the world. Unlike Tomac, Herlings doesn't even need to be at his best to win against the rest of the field.

But that's where the domination stops. The top 5 AMA riders would have no problem competing against the rest of the MXGP guys. The same can't be said for the top 5 MXGP guys competing against the Americans at Anaheim 1.
hamncheeze
9/6/2019 4:22pm
DC wrote:
And that's the thing, prizefighter: The Europeans will get clobbered if they come to the MEC or Anaheim because they barely ever ride supercross, but if...
And that's the thing, prizefighter: The Europeans will get clobbered if they come to the MEC or Anaheim because they barely ever ride supercross, but if they rode SX for 2/3 of a year, there would be more enthusiasm for that type of racing, right?

DC
Racer X
Crossup wrote:
Hey Davey, maybe there should be an MXdN and SXdN back to back. Average the scores for the overall. Then you could really determine the best...
Hey Davey, maybe there should be an MXdN and SXdN back to back. Average the scores for the overall. Then you could really determine the best riders from the two main disciplines. (World X Des Nations) I am sure that the winning order of countries and riders would look a lot different. Whistling Then, someone like Herlings could truly claim to be the FMOTP. Wink
FWIW France could put Musquin, Ferrandis and one of Paulin/Soubeyras/Ramette/Lefrancois/Moreau and under the right circumstances in a "drop your worst score" scenario they could win Supercross of Nations.

DPR250R
9/6/2019 4:29pm
peltier626 wrote:
How could you not have liked Osborne, the dude took the long, hard route to get where he's at today. He has a ton of determination...
How could you not have liked Osborne, the dude took the long, hard route to get where he's at today. He has a ton of determination, never speaks out of line or disrespectful and wears his heart on his sleeve (out on the track). All while raising a family. The dude's an American motocross hero and is becoming one of my favorite riders. Jason has more flare and style than just about any other 450 rider out there, seems to be always having a good time and enjoying riding his dirtbike and actually seems to be having fun. I think Cooper's yet to prove his position among his fellow motocrossers but his time will come.
As well as already having represented the US at the nations.
Helda
9/6/2019 4:54pm
Barrzy256 wrote:
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
People have short memories....or selective memories
9/6/2019 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2019 4:58pm
Pride, dignity, legacy and respect mean far more and last far longer than a riders bank account to fans. I never cared about Anderson, Osborne or...
Pride, dignity, legacy and respect mean far more and last far longer than a riders bank account to fans. I never cared about Anderson, Osborne or Cooper before but they are now my favorite riders and I will support the companies that support them out of principle for the upcoming sx & mx series. To many this has been the greatest race of the year for 50+ years. If it is a waste to you move on. Don't watch. Don't comment. It's really that simple.
peltier626 wrote:
How could you not have liked Osborne, the dude took the long, hard route to get where he's at today. He has a ton of determination...
You must have missed the sentence that they are now my favorite riders because they stepped up and are representing our country. Not here to argue. They are going to win and if they don't they will still be my favorite riders for 2020 SX/MX. The other Factory riders that "wanted to race the mxon" can build it into their contract for 2020.
Nighttrain
9/6/2019 6:21pm
hamncheeze wrote:
FWIW France could put Musquin, Ferrandis and one of Paulin/Soubeyras/Ramette/Lefrancois/Moreau and under the right circumstances in a "drop your worst score" scenario they could win Supercross...
FWIW France could put Musquin, Ferrandis and one of Paulin/Soubeyras/Ramette/Lefrancois/Moreau and under the right circumstances in a "drop your worst score" scenario they could win Supercross of Nations.

100% agree that France produces more elite MX and SX racers than anyone else at this time. It’d be tossup between France and USA in a SXoN with maybe the US having a slight advantage. France doesn’t get enough credit for their success in the US and the MXoN. Is that because they haven’t produced a GP title winner?
DPR250R
9/6/2019 6:45pm
You must have missed the sentence that they are now my favorite riders because they stepped up and are representing our country. Not here to argue...
You must have missed the sentence that they are now my favorite riders because they stepped up and are representing our country. Not here to argue. They are going to win and if they don't they will still be my favorite riders for 2020 SX/MX. The other Factory riders that "wanted to race the mxon" can build it into their contract for 2020.
but 2 of them already have raced the MXoN so why are they only now your favorites?
9/6/2019 6:46pm
France has won 6 years in a row. They are King of Motocross. An event with a 50+ year lineage. The "mec" is the best the usa can do for a SXoN. I do enjoy the super mini class each year.
9/6/2019 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2019 6:52pm
You must have missed the sentence that they are now my favorite riders because they stepped up and are representing our country. Not here to argue...
DPR250R wrote:
but 2 of them already have raced the MXoN so why are they only now your favorites?
Because no other usa riders would this year. They felt the duty to do it again against all odds. How hard is this to understand for you?
Barrett57
9/7/2019 1:12am
Nighttrain wrote:
100% agree that France produces more elite MX and SX racers than anyone else at this time. It’d be tossup between France and USA in a...
100% agree that France produces more elite MX and SX racers than anyone else at this time. It’d be tossup between France and USA in a SXoN with maybe the US having a slight advantage. France doesn’t get enough credit for their success in the US and the MXoN. Is that because they haven’t produced a GP title winner?
Febvre won the mxgp title in 2016.
Patrick461
9/7/2019 1:54am
teamddr wrote:
A question to all the posters on the thread who have jobs outside the industry and their mx passion actually cost them hard earned coin so...
A question to all the posters on the thread who have jobs outside the industry and their mx passion actually cost them hard earned coin so I wish to exclude replies from Matthes and DC as I feel they are to close and have to many links to the riders and teams who have made millions but still their biggest argument against participating in the MXON is money.

The Question is
If the Riders that refused to represent their country at this years MXON over SX training schedules ( what a pathetic excuse as last years SX champ is going )
Decide to go next year because Ernee could yield a better result, can they be regarded as hypocrites who only want to play when they have a chance of glory and their Egos remain intact.

I would like to commend JA,ZO and JC for stepping up when everyone )in the industry round them is trying to convince themselves and infinitely worse the paying public that the USA top riders Can’t go because of money and schedules.
Yes. I don’t make a whole lot of money at all and I probably never will.I have a bike in the garage I get to ride a handful of times a year. But I feel rich because at least I can look at my bike and I realize how lucky I am. I live paycheck to paycheck l, Yet I block out every October 18th tell the boss I’ll be gone, I save $ for a ticket fly to Las Vegas stay with a friend, I don’t gamble, I only drink once a year, Yet I go see the Monster energy cup 5 years in s row now and I’ve even gone to the Pulp MX Live show (twice). Really because I wanted to tell Matthes and JT$ thank you for entertaining me at work (pod casts) I don’t get paid time off so it hurts even worse when I get back home, but I get to see my brother I get to see two Super-cross races in person a year (Houston is not on the Schedule in 2020. So I’m less than thrilled to hear the I’m too busy or too tired excuses from a 26 year old multi millionaire. I sacrifice 3.5 years of my life to serve my country, and I would have continued to do so but something unfortunate happened which left me part of the working poor. But I love God dirt bikes and America. We don’t all agree about this race but man Zach Anderson and Cooper found the time to do it. Imagine being sent 6,000 miles from home and not even being able to call your folks or girl for weeks or months at a time just to hear their voices. (This was before cell phones were tiny ) That’s sacrifice. Not just inconvenience because of your training schedule. God Bless America. Good night
DPR250R
9/7/2019 2:19am
Because no other usa riders would this year. They felt the duty to do it again against all odds. How hard is this to understand for...
Because no other usa riders would this year. They felt the duty to do it again against all odds. How hard is this to understand for you?
You said "I never cared about Anderson, Osborne or Cooper before but they are now my favorite riders"

...both Osborne and Anderson have already raced in years where other riders turned it down.... Anderson in 2016 and ZO in 2017.

Why are they just now your favorites?

Not understanding the logic unless you didn't know they have already been in this exact scenario. No big deal... I always become more of a fan for those that give this race a go... especially when it is held outside the US.
Barrett57
9/7/2019 1:47pm
Park Boys wrote:
2015 he did.
Yep your right, looking through who won what it has to be said that Gajser is some rider isn't he. 15 mx2, 16 mxgp then this year mxgp. And at what, 22/23?
fox1nz
9/7/2019 1:54pm
ALL PUSSIES. EXCUSES EXCUSES FLOW FROM USA PUSSIES.

Post a reply to: John Tomac and DC

The Latest