John Tomac?

Question
4/27/2017 2:11pm
I'm starting to show my age... I watched John at all the major East Coast mountain bike races when I was a kid. He was next...
I'm starting to show my age... I watched John at all the major East Coast mountain bike races when I was a kid. He was next level, like GuyB said, he was next level at every category he raced.

Here's a few iconic photos I remember:

Awesome add, Eli is looking like John a lot !!!

Back to topic:
John Tomac is one of the very few names that is still known here in France for non MTB or BMX guys, like Hoffmann and Mira, these sports was relatively mainstream in the 90's, on at least 1 out 5 main national channels.

Btw: i always forget 1 name, a legend too, a MTB or DH champ that also made the main in SX 125 with a PC bike. Anyone can help?

mach6972
4/27/2017 2:32pm
Btw: i always forget 1 name, a legend too, a MTB or DH champ that also made the main in SX 125 with a PC bike. Anyone can help?

I may be wrong but don't think so..
Titan1
4/27/2017 2:32pm
mach6972 wrote:
Around 1993 I was racing a Norba National Down Hill at Helen Georgia,my sister was with me and we were walking by Tomacs rig (coach or...
Around 1993 I was racing a Norba National Down Hill at Helen Georgia,my sister was with me and we were walking by Tomacs rig (coach or motor home) there was a tiny window toward there rear and my sister said, there's a baby crawling out the window ! We stood there and no one else was around,she yelled, he's climbing out!!! She ran behind the taped off area to the window which was to high for her to reach and he jumped out in her arms ! I think my sister was laughing and crying at the same time,like happy she caught him but scared the hell out of her. Her and I start walking toward the main door and here comes Mrs. Tomac busting out the door running toward us. My sister said to her,he was climbing out the window,no one was around and I stuck my arms up and he jumped. Mrs.Tomac said ahhhh thank you then grabbed little Tomes and ran him back in the rig. John was standing there like wtf just happened !
Hold up...you saved Eli Tomacs life when he was a toddler? Potentially the coolest thing I've ever read on this message board...
crowe176
4/27/2017 2:37pm
All I know is when I was a kid, I would have given anything to have a Tioga tension disc on my Rockhopper.

The Shop

51xc
4/27/2017 2:58pm
John Tomac is on of the MOST Decorated Cyclists on the face of this planet. He has won everything from Downhill championships on drop handlebar mountain...
John Tomac is on of the MOST Decorated Cyclists on the face of this planet. He has won everything from Downhill championships on drop handlebar mountain bikes, to stages in the Tour De France. He is THE guy. Even owned and operated his own brand for a while "Tomac Bikes". When I race mountain bikes back in the day he was always at the races, and always spent time to talk to me! When he Developed the KENDA Blue Groove Tire (2002/2003) I was one of the first people to have them! I bought them when he first released them at a NORBA national at Mount Snow and John himself mounted them on my bike! Total bad ass! I'm super glad that his son is taking after him, makes me like Eli that much more! I have some pictures at home I'll upload later of him racing!

Another super awesome mountain bike guy who helps a lot with the TLD team is Brian Lopes! Him and Tomac used to be the guys when it came to dual slalom or 4x. Brian is a super nice guy too! I have his World Championship jersey signed to me hanging in my room! Those guys would spend all day talking to you! Didn't have to wait in line to see them either! They more often than not would go get dinner and beers with you too! Completely different industry, but so bad ass!
as far as I know he never competed at the tour de france but surely he didn't win a stage or multiple stages. he did more of the big monuments as far as I know and never won their either. he's still a bad ass tho...
doghouse
4/27/2017 3:05pm
John Tomac is on of the MOST Decorated Cyclists on the face of this planet. He has won everything from Downhill championships on drop handlebar mountain...
John Tomac is on of the MOST Decorated Cyclists on the face of this planet. He has won everything from Downhill championships on drop handlebar mountain bikes, to stages in the Tour De France. He is THE guy. Even owned and operated his own brand for a while "Tomac Bikes". When I race mountain bikes back in the day he was always at the races, and always spent time to talk to me! When he Developed the KENDA Blue Groove Tire (2002/2003) I was one of the first people to have them! I bought them when he first released them at a NORBA national at Mount Snow and John himself mounted them on my bike! Total bad ass! I'm super glad that his son is taking after him, makes me like Eli that much more! I have some pictures at home I'll upload later of him racing!

Another super awesome mountain bike guy who helps a lot with the TLD team is Brian Lopes! Him and Tomac used to be the guys when it came to dual slalom or 4x. Brian is a super nice guy too! I have his World Championship jersey signed to me hanging in my room! Those guys would spend all day talking to you! Didn't have to wait in line to see them either! They more often than not would go get dinner and beers with you too! Completely different industry, but so bad ass!
51xc wrote:
as far as I know he never competed at the tour de france but surely he didn't win a stage or multiple stages. he did more...
as far as I know he never competed at the tour de france but surely he didn't win a stage or multiple stages. he did more of the big monuments as far as I know and never won their either. he's still a bad ass tho...
I don't think he raced the Tour, but he did do a Giro.
ob
4/27/2017 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2017 4:06pm
mach6972 wrote:
Btw: i always forget 1 name, a legend too, a MTB or DH champ that also made the main in SX 125 with a PC bike...

Shawn Palmer, another Mt bike legend (And snowboarding, and skiing, etc) But I would say about as opposit from Tomac as you can get.
doghouse
4/27/2017 3:09pm
Firefly47 wrote:
In my eyes, Tomac and Steve Tilford were the 2 guys I looked up to coming up on XC bikes.
Ned Overend and Mike King were huge too.
doghouse
4/27/2017 3:10pm
mach6972 wrote:
Btw: i always forget 1 name, a legend too, a MTB or DH champ that also made the main in SX 125 with a PC bike...

ob wrote:
Shawn Palmer, another Mt bike legend (And snowboarding, and skiing, etc) But I would say about as opposit from Tomac as you can get.
I always think of snowboarding first with Palmer.

Edit:Just saw your edit lol.
Hammer 663s
4/27/2017 4:12pm
mach6972 wrote:

ob wrote:
doghouse wrote:

Dang I haven't heard those names in years. I haven't raced MTB in a long time and had forgotten them. Remember that HUGE paper catalog that used to be the parts bible back in the late 80s? Before internet? Can't remember the name of it. I used to drool over that regularly.

I still have a mostly-original Girvin ProFlex 857 in the garage. Noleen shocks and all. Had the Amp B3 and B4s, Psycle Werks Wild Hare, and more. All gone now. Wish I still had them.

Hammer
acres951
4/27/2017 7:50pm
I grew up racing BMX with John in MI. He was very strong and fast. Guy B would probably know for sure, but I believe he...
I grew up racing BMX with John in MI. He was very strong and fast. Guy B would probably know for sure, but I believe he had some connection with the Rupe brothers (BMX) maybe by marriage. They all got into Mountain Biking just as it was getting popular.
Huh, surprising he was married to a Rupe brother.

Couldn't resist.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/27/2017 9:20pm
Okay, here are a couple vintage photos...one of John (I think it was in Mt. Snow, VT, at a NORBA National), and the other is John with a young tyke. Smile

Question
4/28/2017 12:33am
mach6972 wrote:

ob wrote:
doghouse wrote:

Thanks to refresh my memory.

Awesome pics again!
4/28/2017 2:29am
mach6972 wrote:

ob wrote:
Forgot about Palmer he was badass on anything. Got to party at his house in South Lake back in the day, guy was nuts but cool as shit. I've only seen tweakers with more energy than that him!
feelnjstfine
4/28/2017 6:53am
Forgot about Palmer he was badass on anything. Got to party at his house in South Lake back in the day, guy was nuts but cool...
Forgot about Palmer he was badass on anything. Got to party at his house in South Lake back in the day, guy was nuts but cool as shit. I've only seen tweakers with more energy than that him!
Um, tweaker energy because he pretty much was one in those party days.
MX-LIFE.
4/28/2017 7:07am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 7:10am
John Tomac is originally from Mi,I raced BMX with him back in the late 70's early 80's here in Mi and he later went on to race mountain bikes and the rest as they say is history he was killing the mountain bike scene! He was pretty good at racing BMX also! Lol
feelnjstfine
4/28/2017 7:32am
MX-LIFE. wrote:
John Tomac is originally from Mi,I raced BMX with him back in the late 70's early 80's here in Mi and he later went on to...
John Tomac is originally from Mi,I raced BMX with him back in the late 70's early 80's here in Mi and he later went on to race mountain bikes and the rest as they say is history he was killing the mountain bike scene! He was pretty good at racing BMX also! Lol
Redford, you grow up there? My family is from there and my uncle owned Lola Valley Cycles in the 90's.
jeffro503
4/28/2017 8:28am
Whoa! This pic is so cool! Just looking at that kid , you know it's Eli. And his dad , even in the BMX circles everyone knew how much of a badass John was. Pretty sure those genes transferred right on over to Eli. Great pic GuyB!

4/28/2017 8:45am
Jspazz wrote:
Thought the thread title was a joke at first, now realize I am old. To me there is Tomac, then there is Eli. Im sure there...
Thought the thread title was a joke at first, now realize I am old.

To me there is Tomac, then there is Eli.

Im sure there is nothing that Aldon has on JT. Shows this year.
I was racing at Mammoth one year in the late 90's and Eli showed up on his RM and was making noise in the mini classes. There was talk in the pits was about how he was THEE John Tomac's kid...not a big mountain bike guy, but even I knew what that meant....
mach6972
4/28/2017 10:30am
Speaking of mountain bike legends. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/28/191128/s1200_sammy.jpg[/img]
Speaking of mountain bike legends.

Tinker Juarez bleach his hair?
mach6972
4/28/2017 10:41am
mach6972 wrote:
Around 1993 I was racing a Norba National Down Hill at Helen Georgia,my sister was with me and we were walking by Tomacs rig (coach or...
Around 1993 I was racing a Norba National Down Hill at Helen Georgia,my sister was with me and we were walking by Tomacs rig (coach or motor home) there was a tiny window toward there rear and my sister said, there's a baby crawling out the window ! We stood there and no one else was around,she yelled, he's climbing out!!! She ran behind the taped off area to the window which was to high for her to reach and he jumped out in her arms ! I think my sister was laughing and crying at the same time,like happy she caught him but scared the hell out of her. Her and I start walking toward the main door and here comes Mrs. Tomac busting out the door running toward us. My sister said to her,he was climbing out the window,no one was around and I stuck my arms up and he jumped. Mrs.Tomac said ahhhh thank you then grabbed little Tomes and ran him back in the rig. John was standing there like wtf just happened !
Titan1 wrote:
Hold up...you saved Eli Tomacs life when he was a toddler? Potentially the coolest thing I've ever read on this message board...
well he was going head first thats for sure ! no hesitation either,he wasn't looking out the window thinking about it he was coming out ! lol
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
4/28/2017 10:50am
I think Eli's bars are wider than John's. Crazy how narrow we ran our bars in the 90's.
ayearinmx
4/28/2017 11:35am
Uplift spaces are opened up 3 months out and they usually go pretty fast... But there are a lot of spaces and they seem to be getting more mini buses each time i go... Well worth a MTB trip to south Wales though... Bunch of really awesome trail centres all close.
In fact Wales is one of the best MTB countries in the world imho and I've ridden a fair number of places.
Roscoe33
4/28/2017 11:59am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 1:26pm
I used to own a Eddy Mercykx U.S postal team bicycle that was made to measure for John Tomac to race the Tour De France on for the climbing sections.

The story I heard was that he got kicked out of the tour before it started by doing a wheelie for the French crowd.

When your father has heart rate less your age and measures success on elevation feet climbed each day it's no wonder Eli is doing well.
4/28/2017 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2017 1:40pm
Whoever mentioned Palmer...Palmer made Mountain Biking cool by not only winning, ALOT, but by bringing the whole motocross look to the sport. He also kept good company.

Same with Skiing and Boardercross. Smoking the best of the best in moto stuff instead of goofy round helmets.

Nobody has won more types of different sports than Palmer at the Highest level.
Snowboards, Skiiing, Mountain Bikes, Car racing. And competitive at a crap load of other sports also at the highest level.
As mentioned, he made a main in SX.

That's why USA today called him the worlds greatest athlete, which ultimately Penthouse ran an article about it also.

https://youtu.be/AmYM-O9PEps

Post a reply to: John Tomac?

The Latest