Joey Savatgy Docked to Eighth, Jordon Smith Leads the Points

Radical
Fantasy
2384th
4/30/2017 10:19am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 10:20am
colintrax wrote:
He gained 3 positions by cheating, and there needs to be some kind of additional penalty otherwise why not do it again?
Radical wrote:
How did he gain 3 positions? I believe he was in 2nd when he left the track. The rules say to re-enter the track safely without...
How did he gain 3 positions? I believe he was in 2nd when he left the track.
The rules say to re-enter the track safely without gaining a position.
After he got up his bike was already on the track, and headed forward.
Also, where he exited was 3 feet higher than the lane he was in.
So, what should he have done? Should he have turned around, then rode between the lanes up to the corner? How would he have turned around safely? Was there even a way to get back on the previous lane since it was 3 feet higher?
Instead he rolled it the first few feet, then re-entered the race in 3rd, or at least he was in 3rd the next time he crossed the finish line with Ferrandis gaining a position on him.
I'm going to say that:
1) He re-entered safely without gaining a position
2) It would've been dangerous to turn around at that point. There was little room to do it between the lanes.
3) It would've been equally dangerous to climb back up to the lane he exited from (3 feet and tough blocks) and cross traffic to do it.
4) He rolled it the first few feet. He lost a position plus un-passed 3 lappers, That seems fair enough,
5) The way he re entered the race was the safest way possible.

I think he did the right thing. If the AMA did dock him 6 positions for this, it's complete BS.
BTW: I've been routing for Cianciarulo.
yak651 wrote:
Ha, so crash in 2nd turn after holeshotting and pack goes by I can get up and cut to a section of track as long as...
Ha, so crash in 2nd turn after holeshotting and pack goes by I can get up and cut to a section of track as long as I jump in after the leader since "technically" I was in that position and didn't gain an advantage??
He wasn't able to stay in the lane. It's not like he jumped into oncoming traffic for no reason.
I'm assuming from what the announcers said that it was one turn he skipped.
RG1
4/30/2017 11:40am
Radical wrote:
He wasn't able to stay in the lane. It's not like he jumped into oncoming traffic for no reason. I'm assuming from what the announcers said...
He wasn't able to stay in the lane. It's not like he jumped into oncoming traffic for no reason.
I'm assuming from what the announcers said that it was one turn he skipped.
He shouldn't have skipped anything. It doesn't matter if it's difficult to get back on the track where he went off. That's his fault. He went completely off the section of track he was on and crashed and he didn't lose a position until he got back going again. He was rightly penalised
dkg
4/30/2017 11:41am
Was he docked 5 point or just moved to finishing 8th? If they only dock points not position does it affect the other riders?

The Shop

aeffertz
4/30/2017 12:38pm
Radical wrote:
How did he gain 3 positions? I believe he was in 2nd when he left the track. The rules say to re-enter the track safely without...
So, what should he have done? Should he have turned around, then rode between the lanes up to the corner? How would he have turned around safely? Was there even a way to get back on the previous lane since it was 3 feet higher?
Instead he rolled it the first few feet, then re-entered the race in 3rd, or at least he was in 3rd the next time he crossed the finish line with Ferrandis gaining a position on him.
I'm going to say that:
2) It would've been dangerous to turn around at that point. There was little room to do it between the lanes.
3) It would've been equally dangerous to climb back up to the lane he exited from (3 feet and tough blocks) and cross traffic to do it.
4) He rolled it the first few feet. He lost a position plus un-passed 3 lappers, That seems fair enough,

I think he did the right thing. If the AMA did dock him 6 positions for this, it's complete BS.

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/30/2017 12:41pm
aeffertz wrote:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/qNm4eMM.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/i5zd8o8.png[/img]

but it was just one corner....even if he skipped probably the longest lane of the track!
Motoxdoc
4/30/2017 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 12:53pm
I haven't read the entire thread and don't know if someone else said this, but this makes me think that after the TLD guys protested, the AMA thought, "What should we dock him.....well, if we put him in 8th that will make the series essentially a 3 way tie going into the final....8th it is!"
PFitzG38
4/30/2017 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2017 1:11pm
^^This. I knew this was coming. They had to figure out how many points to dock him to maximize the points battle.

AMA
"How may points are we going to Dock Savatgy?"

Well lets see. How many should we dock him?

How about just enough t make this REAL interesting.

Sometimes I like the "flexibility" of the AMA!

sometimes
Wandell
4/30/2017 1:02pm
Motoxdoc wrote:
I haven't read the entire thread and don't know if someone else said this, but this makes me think that after the TLD guys protested, the...
I haven't read the entire thread and don't know if someone else said this, but this makes me think that after the TLD guys protested, the AMA thought, "What should we dock him.....well, if we put him in 8th that will make the series essentially a 3 way tie going into the final....8th it is!"
I can easily see the AMA thinking this way.
PFitzG38
4/30/2017 1:08pm
aeffertz wrote:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/qNm4eMM.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/i5zd8o8.png[/img]

He may not have gained a position but he sure as hell gained lots of time. The fact you saw guys pass him on the ground and then when he gets going again he's still in front of them. How do you think that is OK?

If a racer can't turn his bike around on any part of the track safely maybe he should consider another sport or accept the fact that he may end up in a sippy hole and have to watch the rest of the race. Lifes unfair sometimes - But not the AMA.

HA lol I said a funny!WoohooLaughing
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
4/30/2017 1:21pm
aeffertz wrote:

yak651 wrote:
but it was just one corner....even if he skipped probably the longest lane of the track!
Hey, I'm an honest man who can admit a mistake.
There is definitely enough space between the lanes to re-enter close to where he exited.

A penalty was warranted.

Beeby
4/30/2017 1:31pm
Yeah, as soon as I saw it I thought he needs to get a penalty. That was a blatant cutting of the course.

Heat of the moment bad decision, maybe but I think you know the rules well enough to know that much track is not on. Even if you are under pressure.
Motoxdoc
4/30/2017 1:38pm
Radical wrote:
I'm going to say that:

You can definitely argue that he entered at the nearest safest spot. But you cant say he didn't gain an advantage. The question is, how's it written in the rule book. Is it, re-enter at the safest spot without gaining a position....or without gaining an advantage?.....It should be, "a position and/or an advantage", IMO.

Between Grant, Savatgy and Tomac, Kawi had a bad "Mental" night!
TXDirt
4/30/2017 1:45pm
Radical wrote:
I'm going to say that:

Motoxdoc wrote:
You can definitely argue that he entered at the nearest safest spot. But you cant say he didn't gain an advantage. The question is, how's it...
You can definitely argue that he entered at the nearest safest spot. But you cant say he didn't gain an advantage. The question is, how's it written in the rule book. Is it, re-enter at the safest spot without gaining a position....or without gaining an advantage?.....It should be, "a position and/or an advantage", IMO.

Between Grant, Savatgy and Tomac, Kawi had a bad "Mental" night!
The nearest safest spot is subjective. What exactly made it unsafe? how much safer was it where he entered vs where he SHOULD of entered. That's subjective. It's not like he had to re-enter at the landing of a big triple. So he should have made an attempt to re-enter somewhere reasonable where he went off. He didn't do that. And it's not because he was concerned for his or any other riders safety.
Lipless
4/30/2017 6:21pm
Those guys are under extreme pressure to perform well. Joey panicked. It is unfortunate, but rules are there for a reason. Joey broke a rule, but did not cheat intentionally. JMO Smile
MX_Andrew83
4/30/2017 6:35pm
As much as it sucks, he did skip a very large section of the track. Maybe their decision was based on a percentage of track skipped, highly unlikely but anything is possible with them,
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/30/2017 6:54pm
Is this a rule that should be considered for modification? Maybe it would not work in SX due to the tight areas. I would like to see the riders have to enter the track where they left it if at all possible. To me leaving the track is a huge mistake and should be penalized accordingly.
mjr119
4/30/2017 7:22pm
I agree with him getting a penalty. But I will say the punishment is suspicious. If any sort of math was involved during the penalty assessment, then this is screwed up! Although I am a big Osborne fan so I am glad he is back in the mix.
4/30/2017 8:06pm
I knew when he did it that he was going to be docked for it. I only question if maybe he rung his bell and just didnt pay much attention. I only watched it once so I'm not sure if he hit his head or not.

Post a reply to: Joey Savatgy Docked to Eighth, Jordon Smith Leads the Points

The Latest