Joel Smets on Herlings, Prado, Vialle and Red Bud

mccread
Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 3:00pm
We sat down with the likeable and charismatic Belgian legend to get his thoughts on 2018 as well as the thoughts behind signing the realitively unknown Tom Vialle to the factory squad, and as usual, Smets had a very insightful take on a number of topics,

Joel Smets interview
|
12/18/2018 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 12:25pm
I totally agreed with his comments on tomac.

I'd add that on his best day - Tomac is next level speed with any rider.

But he has the biggest swings to his bad day from his best day I think we have ever seen from a championship rider. A friend said Robbie Reynard kinda the last guy we saw who could beat anyone speed wise on his day - but then have bad days.

Tomac certainly better than that in consistency - but it's odd he isn't just always great day in and day out like Carmichael or villo was...
I like Tomac a lot - and hope to see him at his best every race day for a whole season - I think it would be something special to witness if he does.
zehn
12/18/2018 12:46pm
One day somehow negates the last several years at the USGP races. Sorry but I gotta disagree with him here.

Sure we got our butts kicked at des Nations but that doesn’t somehow mean our top rider is second class compared to Cairoli or Herlings. Anything can happen in one day and the MXdN is a good example of that. Paulin, DeSalle, Febvre etc. are not on Tomac or Roczen’s level.

The Shop

WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
12/18/2018 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 1:08pm
"I think Tomac is not on the level of the best Ken Roczen so if Kenny Roczen had been on his best level ever he would have been racing with Glenn and Jeffrey."

Totally disagree.

Smets has the same spirit as his style on a dirtbike : square, heavy and nag. A bit like the brain of Herlings. I understand why they love each other. Pure Flemish of the deep flanders.
zehn
12/18/2018 12:59pm
WCRider wrote:
"I think Tomac is not on the level of the best Ken Roczen so if Kenny Roczen had been on his best level ever he would...
"I think Tomac is not on the level of the best Ken Roczen so if Kenny Roczen had been on his best level ever he would have been racing with Glenn and Jeffrey."

Totally disagree.

Smets has the same spirit as his style on a dirtbike : square, heavy and nag. A bit like the brain of Herlings. I understand why they love each other. Pure Flemish of the deep flanders.
Same. Tomac was putting 3-4 seconds per lap on guys this summer. If that doesn’t make him top tier then I don’t know what does.
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
12/18/2018 1:37pm
zehn wrote:
Same. Tomac was putting 3-4 seconds per lap on guys this summer. If that doesn’t make him top tier then I don’t know what does.
With bad starts all season long. Crazy how Tomac still underrated and Roczen overrated. I wonder what Tomac should do to be respected. Post his life and the life of his dog on IG ? Post his Lambo ? Be the Nice boy of his mom ? Stop hunting ? Won every races with 20sec gap ? say long prefabricated sentences ? I dont know, life is strange sometimes...
12/18/2018 1:50pm
WCRider wrote:
With bad starts all season long. Crazy how Tomac still underrated and Roczen overrated. I wonder what Tomac should do to be respected. Post his life...
With bad starts all season long. Crazy how Tomac still underrated and Roczen overrated. I wonder what Tomac should do to be respected. Post his life and the life of his dog on IG ? Post his Lambo ? Be the Nice boy of his mom ? Stop hunting ? Won every races with 20sec gap ? say long prefabricated sentences ? I dont know, life is strange sometimes...
maybe win a race outside the USA ?? it wasnt his first MXON , it wasnt his first MUDDER ...

Tomac is one of the very best out there , but when the heat is on Tomac is gone and not home

in all 6 moto's they raced each other at MXON , Paulin beat him 5 out of the 6 .. Tomac beat him at USGP on his hometurf ... no pressure and Tomac shows up

dont think Paulin is at Tomacs level , but when the heat is on Paulin knows what to do and bring it home and thats just a fact

in a series Tomac wins 8 out of 10 races against Paulin , at MXON its vice versa
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
12/18/2018 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 1:59pm
WCRider wrote:
"I think Tomac is not on the level of the best Ken Roczen so if Kenny Roczen had been on his best level ever he would...

Totally disagree.

zehn wrote:
Yeah but then the next week he maybe goes 3-3 or worse...
I don't know how they would compare had Kenny never gotten injured. But I think both of them are no Carmichaels or Villopotos.

From 02 to 05 RC was so ridiculously dominant, he won every single moto in 02 and 04. I believe he came second in only two motos in 05. I don't quite remember 03 but he also pretty much cleaned up there.
And that against pretty good competition: Windham, Reed, DV, Fonseca, Ferry

Roczen and Tomac were never even close to doing that. Not in SX and not in MX.

Without RC we would be talking about how amazing Windham and Reed were these days. They would have dominated the rest of the field. With RC they really were only second tier (outdoors that is).
The only guy that currently comes close to what RC did is Herlings. Although we will have to see if he can hold it together for a couple of years.
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
12/18/2018 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 2:33pm
crusty_xx wrote:
Yeah but then the next week he maybe goes 3-3 or worse... I don't know how they would compare had Kenny never gotten injured. But I...
I don't know how they would compare had Kenny never gotten injured. But I think both of them are no Carmichaels or Villopotos.

From 02 to 05 RC was so ridiculously dominant, he won every single moto in 02 and 04. I believe he came second in only two motos in 05. I don't quite remember 03 but he also pretty much cleaned up there.

Without RC we would be talking about how amazing Windham and Reed were these days. They would have dominated the rest of the field. With RC they really were only second tier (outdoors that is).
The only guy that currently comes close to what RC did is Herlings. Although we will have to see if he can hold it together for a couple of years.
I agree about RC and Villo versus Tomac. As you say, even Roczen has never been at RC and Villo level. I also agree that the only one at RC level in MX is Herlings. Jeffrey just need to do it again for 5 years now to be considered at the RC level for ever.

Won a 450 championship is one thing. Won five 450 championship in a row with total domination without injury is an another thing. Will we see.
zehn
12/18/2018 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 2:35pm
WCRider wrote:

Totally disagree.

zehn wrote:
crusty_xx wrote:
Yeah but then the next week he maybe goes 3-3 or worse... I don't know how they would compare had Kenny never gotten injured. But I...

To be clear I never made any comparison about Tomac and Villo or RC.

Tomac definitely struggles with consistency when compared to a machine like Dungey but his “on” speed is right there with Herlings or anybody else in the world.
500guy
12/18/2018 2:44pm
No idea why Coldenhoff wasn't mentioned as Fastest man on the Planet , that's the math right ?
Robgvx
12/18/2018 2:54pm
I think a 5-time world champion knows what he’s talking about.
zehn
12/18/2018 2:56pm
Robgvx wrote:
Of course you do
DonM
12/18/2018 3:01pm
Robgvx wrote:
Or how about a 5 time world champ has an opinion...just like anybody else...
Shocker that mccread aka GeoffJr tries to stir the us vs them pot...
mauidex
12/18/2018 3:26pm
you know you can argue all this shit all day long and twice on Saturday...........Tomac and Kawasaki USA, who pays him is paid to win the SX series..........or anyone for that matter..........its almost like comparing F1 and nascar anymore, yeah some guys could compete and maybe even win at both, but nobody fucking cares except the guys writing the big checks!!!
joeellis
12/18/2018 3:36pm
It seems that Tomac can be his own worst enemy. It's difficult to understand why a rider like him can be so dominant and also have mediocre results. Starts are sometimes his nemesis, but it appears that at times his confidence isn't where it needs to be. I hope we have another American rider come along in the near future who has the talent of RC or RV. I'm not sure Tomac doesn't have the talent, but something seems to hold him back.

A few are singing the praises of Herlings here without mentioning Cairoli in the same breath. Antonio is a 9 time world champion, most recently in 2017 with Herlings racing against him. Jeffrey is definitely one of those riders who come along once in a long while, but he still has a ways to go to eclipse Antonio's accomplishments. In 2019, I feel that Antonio may be able to step it up a little more despite his age. If he does so, Jeffrey will need to match this progression.

12/18/2018 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 5:59pm
Paulin is as good as Tomac because of one Mud Race Laughing

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Same here??? that comment really make me laught ! Ok Tomac doesn’t have the consistency of Dungey (and it cost him two titles) but on speed term he is right there with Herlings.

NO WAY Paulin is on the same level as Tomac and i say that being French.

Peoples REALLY seem to forget Tomac has won 5 out of his 6 GP races so he is on top of the world in term of speed
joeellis
12/18/2018 4:12pm
Paulin is as good as Tomac because of one Mud Race Laughing

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
Same here??? that comment really make me laught ! Ok Tomac doesn’t have the consistency of Dungey (and it cost him two titles) but on speed...
Same here??? that comment really make me laught ! Ok Tomac doesn’t have the consistency of Dungey (and it cost him two titles) but on speed term he is right there with Herlings.

NO WAY Paulin is on the same level as Tomac and i say that being French.

Peoples REALLY seem to forget Tomac has won 5 out of his 6 GP races so he is on top of the world in term of speed
I also feel that Tomac is there with the top riders considering speed. His bad starts get him into much trouble and he struggles with consistency. When you start that far behind Caioli and Herlings, having the same speed will not allow you to catch them and there is no one in the world who is going to gain 1 second or more per lap on these guys without many mistakes committed by them.

I think that many are finding it hard to believe other nations are now able to assemble 3 man teams to compete with and beat our American team. I for one am not shocked. If the racing was expanded and there were 8 man teams for example, American depth may win the day. But with only 3 riders per team, we are seeing that other nations are able to win. The top riders from these nations are as good and possibly better (probably better if results is the criteria) than the American riders at the moment
bvm111
12/18/2018 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 4:17pm
Tomac was the fastest man on the planet this year... to his accountant with his millions upon millions of dollars earned! WinkTongueWhistling
Shaned9326
12/18/2018 5:56pm
The other sport starts in a couple of weeks and we are definitely da best there,but as far as pounding out 30 plus motos I’d have to say the euros have us covered right now imo
stewie94
12/18/2018 8:18pm
zehn wrote:
WCRider wrote:
With bad starts all season long. Crazy how Tomac still underrated and Roczen overrated. I wonder what Tomac should do to be respected. Post his life...
kenny overrated?? LaughingLaughingLaughing yal throw tht word out there too losely nowadays
Mit12
12/18/2018 10:33pm
Tomac is one of my favorite riders but it looked to me that he was just riding around at the MXoN. I could be wrong and I hope I am but I have never seen ride with what looked no intensity at all.
12/18/2018 11:19pm
crusty_xx wrote:

WCRider wrote:
I agree about RC and Villo versus Tomac. As you say, even Roczen has never been at RC and Villo level. I also agree that the...
I agree about RC and Villo versus Tomac. As you say, even Roczen has never been at RC and Villo level. I also agree that the only one at RC level in MX is Herlings. Jeffrey just need to do it again for 5 years now to be considered at the RC level for ever.

Won a 450 championship is one thing. Won five 450 championship in a row with total domination without injury is an another thing. Will we see.
You guys are quick to forget Kenny before his injury. Title against Dungey in 2014 (rookie year), back injury in 2015, completely annihilated everyone outdoors in 2016, then devastating injury in 2017. There's no new RC, but he was definitely looking to be the guy a step above everybody else. IMO Roczen in 2016 was at the same level as Herlings is now.
tempura
12/18/2018 11:58pm
crusty_xx wrote:

WCRider wrote:
I agree about RC and Villo versus Tomac. As you say, even Roczen has never been at RC and Villo level. I also agree that the...

Can Herlings count his National championships as well as his world championships, or only US riders can do that on a vital thread?
Half tongue in cheek by the way.
Antonioni
12/19/2018 12:19am
EnvyMedia wrote:
You guys are quick to forget Kenny before his injury. Title against Dungey in 2014 (rookie year), back injury in 2015, completely annihilated everyone outdoors in...
You guys are quick to forget Kenny before his injury. Title against Dungey in 2014 (rookie year), back injury in 2015, completely annihilated everyone outdoors in 2016, then devastating injury in 2017. There's no new RC, but he was definitely looking to be the guy a step above everybody else. IMO Roczen in 2016 was at the same level as Herlings is now.
So much agree.
Good reminder here.
Bearuno
12/19/2018 12:22am
tempura wrote:
Can Herlings count his National championships as well as his world championships, or only US riders can do that on a vital thread? Half tongue in...
Can Herlings count his National championships as well as his world championships, or only US riders can do that on a vital thread?
Half tongue in cheek by the way.
Absolutely he can - they are National Championships, after all. And no tongue in cheek, in my part.

And, as most (if not all?) Dutch / The Netherlands rounds would be in Sand, well, I refer back to Kurt Nicholl being interviewed at a Dutch GP, in around 86 / 87. Something like - "You come here, and there are a whole bunch of Dutchmen you've never heard of, putting seconds into you in timed practice". Not many of the US Nationals field would do any good on most Dutch, and other Euro Sand tracks.

And, before the usual squealing, it would be Much like not that many of the GP riders doing any good if they turned up at the US specialty - Supercross.

Swings and Roundabout, as they say, folks.Swings and Roundabouts.
Cortami79
12/19/2018 12:55am
EnvyMedia wrote:
You guys are quick to forget Kenny before his injury. Title against Dungey in 2014 (rookie year), back injury in 2015, completely annihilated everyone outdoors in...
Agree. Even Herlings' admitted Roczen his talent and I think SX ruined his career. He is a great ambassador for the sport. Coming back from those 2 horrible injuries shows how much of a sportman he is.

I agree with Smets in his interview. For some reason, Tomac can't really match his speed and talent like he can do during races with less pressure, Paulin has the opposite. He really can step it up during weekends like that. No offense to Tomac, every year he does mind blowing things and thats amazing to see.

In my opinion, at this moment indeed no one can match Herlings and Cairoli. Yes, guys like Gajser, Desalle, Febvre and once Coldenhoff can do it 1 heat, but they are on top. Comparing Roczen, Musquin and Tomac with them? They would probably match them if they would ride outdoors all year.

These injuries really show how dominant RC, RV and Dungey were during their prime. Getting multiple championships without any injuries shows how good they were, and it shows how good Reed and Windham were during their prime years

Post a reply to: Joel Smets on Herlings, Prado, Vialle and Red Bud

The Latest