Jim Ellis races Nationals today

Anonymous (not verified)
8/1/2009 1:20am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2012 8:16am
40+ vet class at the final round of the Australian outdoor nationals @ sunny Coolum Queensland. Each entrant got 10 cans of bourbon by the series sponsor Woodstock Hope these work out

|
41NDT
8/1/2009 2:06am
Try #2
Ashleymx
8/1/2009 4:10am
Can any one confirm hes had both knees replaced? Knarly guy.
JPT
8/1/2009 5:09am
Captain Cobalt.

Still makes me think, Can-Am.
skypig
8/1/2009 5:47am
I wish I could keep up with him. Might try a few cans of my Bourben before tommorows races...

The Shop

bultokid
8/1/2009 7:48am
How old is the Capt now ? dude is serious core and gets hardly any mention as one of the best riders ever. Ripped on the Canned-Ham and held top 100 number ( back when they EARNED one ) for many years.
Sonny
8/1/2009 9:14am
The move to Australia was the best thing that could have happened to Jimmy. He did have knee trouble for years, but what he did for it I have no idea. I thought his Dad said to me, some time back, that he was racing stock cars in Au.
Ellis was so good at southwick back in the day, because he practiced for hours on end in the silty river sand of the Connecticut river. Never a groomed track and blasted as fast as he could. I agree he didn't get his due. If you ever are in the company of David Bailey and want to get him talking old MX, mention Jimmy Ellis. His prospective gives an insight to Ellis's status in MX history.
calimxer91
8/1/2009 9:19am
JPT wrote:
Captain Cobalt.

From the late 70's ?I dont think I ever saw him ride.Smooth I presume.
Sonny
8/1/2009 11:00am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:16am
Never saw Ellis race? Here he is riding the #7 Can-am in L.A. 1975

skypig
8/2/2009 3:35am
Never saw Ellis race?

I saw him race today (couldn’t keep up) - I wish there was more opportunities for Vets to race. I think the last "Vets Cup" in Australia might have been 2004 - at the fantastic Conondale Track. I raced that one too.
GraemeM
8/2/2009 5:07am
Buy a Pre 85 bike, no shortage of races around Brisbane then. And if you want to see some fine old bike action rock on out to Conondale next weekend for the Aussie Vintage titles.
JPT
8/2/2009 5:25am
bultokid wrote:
How old is the Capt now ? dude is serious core and gets hardly any mention as one of the best riders ever. Ripped on the...
How old is the Capt now ? dude is serious core and gets hardly any mention as one of the best riders ever. Ripped on the Canned-Ham and held top 100 number ( back when they EARNED one ) for many years.
Fact Sheet:
DOB: 10/19/55
Birthplace: Middletown, CT USA
Started Riding Age 9
Tuner: George Ellis
Current Residence:
Ringwood Victoria Australia
Current Career:
Jimmy occasionally races motocross, but has found a new passion for the NASCAR circuit.
Jimmy Ellis Team CanAm Resume:
1974 125cc National MX #6
1974 250cc National MX #3
1975 250cc National MX #5
1975 250cc National SX #1
1976 250cc National MX #8
1976 250cc National SX #3
1977 250cc National MX #6
1977 250cc National SX #4
MXTRAINER1
8/2/2009 6:01am
Never met Jim, but have been around his dad and mom in 2001/02. George, Jims dad, is one of the good guys and his mom is great but also has a pretty strong hand.
George used to be the driver for the Kawi rig and had great stories every time you talked to him. I miss hanging with him during the down time at the races. Hope all is well with all of the family.
Alan Gerkey
magicbus
8/2/2009 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:17am
Western Massachusetts, U.S.A

Being from western Mass. I remember Jimmy racing for Boston Yamaha - when he was about 9 - 10 years old. His feet did not touch the ground - his father had to hold the rear fender for his starts. Most of the time he won. He was unbelivable for his age. Watched him almost every weekend for about 3-4 years. Early on - the series was called New England Scrambles. They raced @ Middleboro (early spring = no snow) a number of other tracks in Mass. (Pepperell, Southwick, West Springfield, Middleboro, Spencer, Munson [Mattreess wrapped around trees], Maine (Leeds Junction, Lisbon), Conn (Middletown)., and Unadella.

The spectator fee was $ 2.00 / person. Threw the bed mattress in our van and away we (wife & son) went - every weekend.

For others who might remember "back in the day" Bruce McGuire = Bultaco factory, Johnny Betencourt w/a full purple fringed leather riding suit, James Weinert among many, many others.

To Jimmy and all the Ellis family = THANX FOR THE MEMORIES AND GOOD TIMES !!!.

Still a Motocross fan - after all these years.

Harry the Hat

smacker
8/2/2009 7:48pm
i also remember him from the yearly 70's at middleboro he was my first moto hero . johnny betencourt also had the big smile painted on his face mask . nesc in the 70's had so many fast guy's if it was in cali they all would be big names .
andymoto
8/2/2009 8:57pm
MXTRAINER1 wrote:
Never met Jim, but have been around his dad and mom in 2001/02. George, Jims dad, is one of the good guys and his mom is...
Never met Jim, but have been around his dad and mom in 2001/02. George, Jims dad, is one of the good guys and his mom is great but also has a pretty strong hand.
George used to be the driver for the Kawi rig and had great stories every time you talked to him. I miss hanging with him during the down time at the races. Hope all is well with all of the family.
Alan Gerkey
Watched him at LA Coliseum '76 and Plymouth Hangtowns; don't think he rode at current HT track at Prarie City....Believe rode Honda when the line changed in '78, but don't recall if he raced afterwards.

His dad still drove the Kawi rig in 1999 or 2000 the last I remember. George was a pleasure to talk old stories with. You're right Alan that he was a good man to talk to.

The Rock
8/3/2009 7:44pm
Fall of 1974 Jimmy Ellis took the 250 overall at the Highland Hills 250/500 National.

His father's pit board was telling Jimmy to slow down after the start of the second moto as he was gapping the field by a huge margin every lap. Jimmy had broken his pelvis during the Florida Winter-Am series and did not return to riding until late summer. Guy was on fire!
538BAM
8/4/2009 1:30am
I raced against Jimmy on the weekend at the Nationals in the Vets, we had a great battle in every race, it was a real honor to be on the same track as such a legand. Jimmy and I spoke a few times during the day and he is a realy good guy and a true gentleman. Jimmy presented me with the side plate of his CRF450 at the end of the day with his signature on it and it has already become a valued trophy.

Thanks Jimmy.
Ashleymx
8/4/2009 2:29am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2009 2:31am
My memories of Jimmy Ellis are all KTM from the mid 80s. I guess having no internet back in those days his Aussie race career was a little over looked back home? I dont remember too much actually as i was just a kid but one thing I do recall is TV coverage of the Mr Motocross series showing him rehabing his knee. We also have a jump named after him at the Manjimup track in West Australia about 3 hrs drive from my place. Back then it was two huge singles and he decided to jump it lol.
Lethal18
8/20/2010 6:43am
wow its good to see some pics of him Smile i remember that day...wasn't there but i wish i could of been.

Sorry to bring up an old topic but yeah Smile
motomike137
8/20/2010 8:30am
JPT wrote:
Captain Cobalt.

Ditto!.. Jimmy was the guy I rooted for in the mid seventies.
motomike137
8/20/2010 8:54am
Sonny wrote:

Awesome old footage! I wonder how many people could tell you that a Canadian built motorcycle (with a Conneticut born rider) won the biggest Supercross race of all time?
8/20/2010 9:10am
Sonny wrote:

was at that race (my first sx) was 14 a good memory .Remember him spraying a big bottle of oly beer -- thanks for posting
Travis707
8/20/2010 11:00am
I grew up in the next town over from Jimmy. What a great guy... and nice family too. Loved listening to George's stories and Irene was a tough cookie but a real sweetheart.

In the late 70's and early 80's we rode together a few times and it was always a blast. On one trail ride in East Hampton... I think it was 1979, we had to ride a short distance on the road to get from one trail to the next. We stopped at the end of the trail, looked left and turned right onto the road with Jimmy leading the way. Neither of us had looked right before pulling out and didn't see one car passing another... and it was now in our lane going at least 60 MPH straight toward us. Fortunately the driver saw us in time and was able to cut back hard in front of the other car and make the pass without taking us both out. Man, it was REALLY close and scared the hell out of both of us!

I had a 1980 BMW 320is that was lowered, had a Calloway turbo, etc and was a blast to drive. I let Jimmy drive it a couple of times by himself... once after winning the Providence Arenacross... and he came back with an ear-to-ear grin each time... I suspect he tested the limits a couple of times! Hehe!

When Jimmy moved to Australia for good (1984?), that was the last I spoke with him but did see George and Irene around on occasion.

Oh, I just remembered another funny story JT told me. When he went to Australia to race... I think it was one of his first times racing there... he met a few people (I think at a practice track). He invited them to come to the next race and "root" for him. Well, they all just snickered and grinned at each other. So he asked what he said that was so funny. Apparently in Australia when you "root", you aren't cheering like in the USA... you are screwing! LOL, funny stuff!

In the past, I sent a few emails to RacerX asking if they could do a story on Jimmy and what he's up to these days... but alas, nothing. Come on DC... please? I've let my subscription lapse (been unemployed 19 months now) but if you do a story, I'll re-up my subscription! LOL!! :-)
DJ KC
Fantasy
462nd
8/20/2010 12:16pm
I met Jimmy a few times at Nationals and some SX races in the mid 70’s… toward the start of the summer of ’78… Jimmy was recovering from some small injuries and been off the bike a few weeks. He showed up at Action Park MX there in North Jacksonville, Florida with a good friend of mine and riding buddy Mark Milford. The Milford’s and my family always pitted together… It was really cool hanging out all day with Jimmy and everyone coming by our pits asking for an autograph. What was even cooler, spending a Monday and Tuesday afternoon with him riding and along with my friend Mark… Plus Jimmy was giving us a lot of riding pointers to Mark and myself… I will never forget it… Good times for sure.

Lost contact with Mark after I moved out of Florida… The last thing I knew… He was still working at Honda of Jacksonville. But that was 1984.
Lethal18
8/21/2010 5:02am
well the 'jimmy' you guys talk of is my dad Smile

its good to hear all the stories that are told by him Smile but yeah i havent spoken to him in a while but hes in WA.

He had one knee replaced but thats all.

that vid we have the full version of it somewhere but yeah.

last time i saw him was easter he rode in a historic race was good Smile

Leigh
JPT
8/21/2010 5:21am
Very cool.
Holmes
8/22/2010 4:46pm
Waterboro, ME

Sonny
8/22/2010 6:07pm
Lethal18 wrote:
well the 'jimmy' you guys talk of is my dad :) its good to hear all the stories that are told by him :) but yeah...

its good to hear all the stories that are told by him Smile but yeah i havent spoken to him in a while but hes in WA.

Leigh
Leigh,
By WA., do you mean Washington?? I had no idea that he was in the States again. It's been a while since I'd seen him in the Connecticut (Cobalt, East Hampton) area. You may have been to young to remember, but your dad was known for honing his MX skills along the CT river in the Weathersfield- Rocky Hill cove. This was a great area to ride, but the pesty police would often spoil the fun. Ironically, this same area is the home of one of the only legal practice tracks in CT today.
Anyway, good to here that he's doing well. If I find more video or pics I'll put them here.
Travis707
8/22/2010 6:14pm
Lethal18 wrote:
well the 'jimmy' you guys talk of is my dad :) its good to hear all the stories that are told by him :) but yeah...

Leigh
Sonny wrote:
Leigh, By WA., do you mean Washington?? I had no idea that he was in the States again. It's been a while since I'd seen him...
Leigh,
By WA., do you mean Washington?? I had no idea that he was in the States again. It's been a while since I'd seen him in the Connecticut (Cobalt, East Hampton) area. You may have been to young to remember, but your dad was known for honing his MX skills along the CT river in the Weathersfield- Rocky Hill cove. This was a great area to ride, but the pesty police would often spoil the fun. Ironically, this same area is the home of one of the only legal practice tracks in CT today.
Anyway, good to here that he's doing well. If I find more video or pics I'll put them here.
Sonny, my guess is he means Western Australia...

My first thought was Washington state too. LOL!

Sonny
8/22/2010 6:25pm
Lethal18 wrote:

Leigh
Sonny wrote:
Leigh, By WA., do you mean Washington?? I had no idea that he was in the States again. It's been a while since I'd seen him...
Leigh,
Travis707 wrote:
Sonny, my guess is he means Western Australia...

My first thought was Washington state too. LOL!

Ohhhhh, you might be right.
And you must have taken that trail ride in the Salmon River. I did a scramble there back in the 80's.

Post a reply to: Jim Ellis races Nationals today

The Latest