Jessy Nelson update?

Xracer
7/4/2018 12:15pm
Cool Rides wrote:
My 16yr old daughter had her spinal fusion done at Children's hospital in Denver. So far so good. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/04/272059/s1200_FB_IMG_1530724268087.jpg[/img]
My 16yr old daughter had her spinal fusion done at Children's hospital in Denver. So far so good.
That's awesome! That's what we were hoping for with my Son but it just didn't work out that way because they detected nerve signals being impeded after moving his spine only a few degrees. Or maybe the Doc was a quack. Unfortunately once the fusion is done, there's no going back for a "re-do". For now he's generally ok and not in any pain, just discomfort from always being "crooked". Could be a lot worse and with that I'll stop hijacking Jesse's thread! I think spinal injuries are hardest on Motocross guys (and gals) because they're coming from a place of being at the absolute highest level of physical fitness and athletic ability. I can't begin to understand how hard that reality or paralysis or any other level of major physical impairment must be to accept and frankly I'm a bit ashamed at our sport for how fast we forget about these guys.
Kyle_McNab
7/4/2018 1:21pm
Cool Rides wrote:
My 16yr old daughter had her spinal fusion done at Children's hospital in Denver. So far so good. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/04/272059/s1200_FB_IMG_1530724268087.jpg[/img]
My 16yr old daughter had her spinal fusion done at Children's hospital in Denver. So far so good.
Xracer wrote:
That's awesome! That's what we were hoping for with my Son but it just didn't work out that way because they detected nerve signals being impeded...
That's awesome! That's what we were hoping for with my Son but it just didn't work out that way because they detected nerve signals being impeded after moving his spine only a few degrees. Or maybe the Doc was a quack. Unfortunately once the fusion is done, there's no going back for a "re-do". For now he's generally ok and not in any pain, just discomfort from always being "crooked". Could be a lot worse and with that I'll stop hijacking Jesse's thread! I think spinal injuries are hardest on Motocross guys (and gals) because they're coming from a place of being at the absolute highest level of physical fitness and athletic ability. I can't begin to understand how hard that reality or paralysis or any other level of major physical impairment must be to accept and frankly I'm a bit ashamed at our sport for how fast we forget about these guys.
Back injuries are so complicated. I had a bulging disc between l4 l5 then realized I have a 25% curve on the lower back. It’s completely made my back and hips unbalanced. Can’t sit for a long period of time. Feels like an uphill battle. Makes me want to try surgery even tho it’s risky
MXMattii
7/5/2018 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2018 3:37pm
Cool Rides wrote:
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Wow that looks like a big improvement. I’ve been contemplating surgery for my scoliosis it’s a little more than 20% in my lower back. Just scared...
Wow that looks like a big improvement. I’ve been contemplating surgery for my scoliosis it’s a little more than 20% in my lower back. Just scared I’m not gonna be able to ride a bike again
Dunno about riding a bike, maybe trails... But I got also a fusion because I got 60° curve and it was turning to the inside into my lungs. Got my operation done when I was 14 and now I'm 28, just go to a good medic if you wanna have a surgery. Here in Belgium I hear lots of goods about Toronto. Lots of Belgians who are going there to learn but also to share knowledge.

Like you see in this picture, I'm the one on the right, I got the typical higher shoulder and that is a picture from when I was 9. Back then I got 30-35 and I started to wear a corset because they were scared that they needed to operate before mine grow spurt. But the corset didn't worked and they indeed needed to do the surgery before I've gotten mine grown spurt so I'm pretty small with 1m60 - 5foot25.

Dunno how your daughter got trough her surgery but I felt three days excruciating pain and then the sky got blue again and beside the "not picking up anything for six to twelve months" normal live started pretty soon again.

The Shop

Kyle_McNab
7/5/2018 4:03pm
Cool Rides wrote:
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Wow that looks like a big improvement. I’ve been contemplating surgery for my scoliosis it’s a little more than 20% in my lower back. Just scared...
Wow that looks like a big improvement. I’ve been contemplating surgery for my scoliosis it’s a little more than 20% in my lower back. Just scared I’m not gonna be able to ride a bike again
MXMattii wrote:
Dunno about riding a bike, maybe trails... But I got also a fusion because I got 60° curve and it was turning to the inside into...
Dunno about riding a bike, maybe trails... But I got also a fusion because I got 60° curve and it was turning to the inside into my lungs. Got my operation done when I was 14 and now I'm 28, just go to a good medic if you wanna have a surgery. Here in Belgium I hear lots of goods about Toronto. Lots of Belgians who are going there to learn but also to share knowledge.

Like you see in this picture, I'm the one on the right, I got the typical higher shoulder and that is a picture from when I was 9. Back then I got 30-35 and I started to wear a corset because they were scared that they needed to operate before mine grow spurt. But the corset didn't worked and they indeed needed to do the surgery before I've gotten mine grown spurt so I'm pretty small with 1m60 - 5foot25.

Dunno how your daughter got trough her surgery but I felt three days excruciating pain and then the sky got blue again and beside the "not picking up anything for six to twelve months" normal live started pretty soon again.
Sorry you had to go through that but atleast it seems everything turned out alright. I have scoliosis to around 20% on the lower back
MXMattii
7/5/2018 4:15pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Sorry you had to go through that but atleast it seems everything turned out alright. I have scoliosis to around 20% on the lower back
Consult some different medics, because I read in a article that there is now also a other way then the full fusion. That is the way you see in the picture from the girl and that is also the way they used in mine surgery.
Kyle_McNab
7/5/2018 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2018 4:27pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
Consult some different medics, because I read in a article that there is now also a other way then the full fusion. That is the way...
Consult some different medics, because I read in a article that there is now also a other way then the full fusion. That is the way you see in the picture from the girl and that is also the way they used in mine surgery.
You had a spinal fusion? What’s the other surgery? I really don’t know much about it.
Mr. Info
7/5/2018 4:48pm
What everyone needs to understand is that the same injury to one might need a little care and to the other person its life changing. The back, neck and head all have different injury results. Concussions are the same thing, some hits to one person could be totally different to another. The human body is almost the same for everyone but they all take injury different.
Not saying not to use the best protection you can get. Safety first at any cost.
MXMattii
7/6/2018 5:38pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
You had a spinal fusion? What’s the other surgery? I really don’t know much about it.
I got the normal fusion, something more then ten years back it was the only solution for mine scoliosis. But now you've the Anterior Scoliosis Correction (ASC) that is still experimental but I read good things about it only its pretty expensive. You've also medics who use the Minimally Invasive Scoliosis Surgery (MIS) way that is a surgery where they use a smaller incision. Then you've the normal spinal fusion where they cut your skin and muscle to reach your spine and fix it with a fusion.
Kyle_McNab
7/6/2018 5:49pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
I got the normal fusion, something more then ten years back it was the only solution for mine scoliosis. But now you've the Anterior Scoliosis Correction...
I got the normal fusion, something more then ten years back it was the only solution for mine scoliosis. But now you've the Anterior Scoliosis Correction (ASC) that is still experimental but I read good things about it only its pretty expensive. You've also medics who use the Minimally Invasive Scoliosis Surgery (MIS) way that is a surgery where they use a smaller incision. Then you've the normal spinal fusion where they cut your skin and muscle to reach your spine and fix it with a fusion.
Wow have to look into that. The surgeon only went over the traditional fusion. How are you doing these days if you don’t mind me asking?
MXMattii
7/6/2018 5:59pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
I got the normal fusion, something more then ten years back it was the only solution for mine scoliosis. But now you've the Anterior Scoliosis Correction...
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Wow have to look into that. The surgeon only went over the traditional fusion. How are you doing these days if you don’t mind me asking?
Four hernia's in mine neck, so not that well. But I got a fusion from T1 (first one under neck) till L4. So that means that mine neck and the lower few vertebrae's need to do a lot of work. If you have a small fusion those problems mostly doesn't happen.

Will look up some pictures soon.

Post a reply to: Jessy Nelson update?

The Latest