Jessy Nelson Interview with TWMX

Mit12
9/28/2016 2:24pm
I do not want to down play this injury because it is horrable. You can not fix the track, corse markers or anything else to keep this from happening. Way back in the early 80's there was a Suzuki rider that was doing real well on a production bike, Suzuki gave him a works suzuki and in his very first race in the first turn he crashed and never walked again. This kind of thing is what can happen when you ride or race a motorcycle weather it be a 190 lb 30hp 125 from from the 80's or a 220 pound 65hp 450 from today. Like DC said they will try and learn from these incidents..
Get well soon Jessy!
Gukamonster
9/28/2016 4:08pm
I looked in some of the older Jessy related topics on here to try and find out what kind, if any, chest protector he was wearing and couldn't find a confirmed answer. Was it a hard shelled plastic product, soft foam roost guard or nothing at all? Not to start an 18 page debate on safety equipment but I think that's important information when a bike hits a rider in the back and paralyzes the guy.

Either way it's an extremely shitty deal for him. The same thing injuries have happened to local vet weekend warriors where I live also, not good. On the glass half full side, he is a semi-famous supercross winner with name publicity and industry connections to help raise funds for his support.
jasonv43
9/28/2016 4:11pm
So terrible. I wish him nothing but the best and hope he finds a way to recover.
stackman17
9/28/2016 4:12pm
After reading the article, I feel guilty. Five weeks ago, I broke my L4-L7 and had compression fractures in my T4 and T5. I have already returned to work from the injury. This injury to Jesse makes me realize how fortunate I really was. I really feel bad for the young man. Get well.

The Shop

FroDiddy
9/28/2016 4:33pm
Technology is a wonderful thing. Doctors have made massive strides in spinal cord injuries over the past 10 years. Who knows what the next 5 could bring.

Hang in there, Jesse. I believe you will walk again.
omalley
9/28/2016 7:25pm
I remember reading an article with Jimmy Button explaining his crash and recovery in one of the mags. He mentioned some steroid that they have to use within a short amount of time that increased chances of recovery-anyone know if that's still being done? If I recall correctly not many knew about it and he was insisting on them doing it while he was being treated according to the article.
Andrew337
9/28/2016 8:03pm
The parallels between his experience and my girlfriend's are so close, it really hits close to home. He's in a tough spot, and I'm glad he's being honest and open about what he's going through. The doctors are harsh, the PT's goals don't match his, and he feels like his identity has been replaced with a wheelchair. Being an athlete, Jesse is tough and he will keep moving forward, both in recovery and in life. Project Walk will be great for him, he will find find plenty of like-minded folks there and I hope the best for him!
dirtnapper
9/28/2016 8:31pm
Gutted to read that.

Jessy, stay strong man, keep faith.
jemcee
9/28/2016 9:49pm
Man that sucks to read and it's exactly how I felt but as Presspass said time is his friend the first, if I'm honest, 2 years or so are brutal (add to mine a horrible 'girlfriend' who ran away overseas lead me on to only break up with me but that's another story haha) but it gets better..
If there was anything I could tell Jessy, if he doesn't get feeling back life in a chair is NOWHERE near as bad as you think it's gonna be, I mean don't get me wrong it still pretty fucken shit if you compare it to what it could have been but that sort of thinking isn't exclusive to spinal patients haha
Just keep pushing along and see the positives in every day life (and with a missus that hot it may not be that hard haha) Besides who knows what's gonna happen in the future.. There's a university over here that's looking into some promising advancements, I'm not really one to get excited about that stuff cause I've been too disheartened in the past but I'm so stoked there's people still trying
Here's a vid if anyone is interested, it says 'comments are disabled' on it which I think is pretty funny haha

jemcee
9/28/2016 9:54pm
Also I really don't wanna start anything but over here I stayed at no cost in a spinal ward in the hospital for 8 months receiving top class extensive Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy until they were confident I was not gonna get anymore improvement and I was ready to live in the real world..
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
9/28/2016 10:14pm
Hang in there Jessy, and try to stay positive.

There are lots of people hoping and praying for you!
hillbilly
9/29/2016 5:52pm
What i was getting at with my experience is this.

We know Doc and the Ateam are going to be spot on in what to do but once they put you in the ambulance you are at the mercy of their ability/attitude.

They most likely won't see you as the rock hard driven athlete and will just be looking to repair the injury and get you out the door,least that has been my experiences of every injury i had.

I was in the back of the ambulance by myself,the 2 emts rode up front,no neckbrace on me ,nothing. They just chatted amongst themselves on the way to the hospital.

You see what I'm getting at here??

You better have a plan,one for when the worst happens .

If i was doing the series knowing what i know I'd find out where the BEST trauma center is at each round. Make a plan ,get yourself there..

You got one shot at getting it right the 1st time.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
9/29/2016 6:43pm
jemcee wrote:
Also I really don't wanna start anything but over here I stayed at no cost in a spinal ward in the hospital for 8 months receiving...
Also I really don't wanna start anything but over here I stayed at no cost in a spinal ward in the hospital for 8 months receiving top class extensive Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy until they were confident I was not gonna get anymore improvement and I was ready to live in the real world..
Keep rollin' on Jmac. . .

:-)
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
9/30/2016 8:15am
Man I wish there was something to say or do to bring his spirits up. Just saw this on Insta.

yak651
Fantasy
214th
9/30/2016 10:21am
Man I wish there was something to say or do to bring his spirits up. Just saw this on Insta. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/30/154009/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Man I wish there was something to say or do to bring his spirits up. Just saw this on Insta.

Powerful stuff, I know I complain about works suck, wish I could ride better or whatever, but need to be greatful for what I have and can do. Just today I called a vendor we work with to ask where a quote was, the guy I talked to asked if they could have some more time as the person working on it had a stroke on Monday and passed away. This guy was just in our plant two weeks ago looking at the project, guess late 40's early 50's, didn't look to be in terrible shape and now he's gone. Nothing is guaranteed here, enjoy it while you can.
cz2crf2wc
9/30/2016 10:41am
Getting paralyzed is something only someone in the situation knows about or should have an opinion on. The thoughts and depression that goes through your head are indescribable. How your thinking on life before and after change very quickly and not for the better. I wish Jessy all the best to get thru his situation.
hillbilly
9/30/2016 5:45pm
I hope he doesn't find out at some point the doctor fubared him.

hillbilly
10/1/2016 5:33am
It is very disappointing that none of the top R8 driving guys have stepped in and anonymously paid his parents hotel bill or just give him 50k or a 100k to get things right at home.

The elite guys would not be elite if not for 30 other guys that do it for nothing . They are the true heros here.

824 Dad
10/1/2016 8:04am
Zaugg wrote:
These are names of the people at the top level of the sport. Many more, I'm sure, could be added to that list. ...an no we...
These are names of the people at the top level of the sport. Many more, I'm sure, could be added to that list.

...an no we don't need mandatory neck, chest, and back protection. Knee jerk reaction to incidents like this are OVER REACTIONS.

This is a dangerous sport and anyone who thinks a piece of safety equipment is going to actually keep them safe from every potential injury is living in a dream world.

This was an accident. It sucks and we all want Jessy and anyone else who has suffered a similar injury to heal. Don't make this a cause for safety equipment. Make it a cause to help a fallen rider.
gt80rider wrote:
Knee jerk overreaction? I have been saying for 30 F'n years that we should be wearing "real" back and neck protection. I think the same today...
Knee jerk overreaction? I have been saying for 30 F'n years that we should be wearing "real" back and neck protection. I think the same today as I thought back then- most people basically wear none/zero. None/zero protection gets us where we are today, with more people in chairs than I care to think about.

What you advocate is ZERO protection. Us 30 years knee jerkers propose wearing some sort of advanced protection, just like we wear on our heads and on our feet.

And btw, you are the overreactioner, saying crap like "anyone who thinks a piece of safety equipment is going to actually keep them safe from every potential injury is living in a dream world", full well knowing nobody thinks that. What we do think is that if some Real F'n protection was used maybe we could keep 10 guys, or 5 guys, or even 1 guy out of a chair a year. Read that interview again. Even if one guy is kept out of a chair because of mandated safety gear it was the right call. And I am not arguing for f'n witchcraft, I am arguing for real next-gen high-end safety gear, not thin pieces of plastic that might do as much harm as good.

I am sick and F'n tired of idiots like you, who argue that no protection is better than some. What, riding with a helmet is smart, but riding with nex-gen neck/back protection is stupid? How many times do you ride without a helmet? Is your head that much more precious than your ability to walk?

I couldn't agree more with what you said.
Hope Jessy can get his mind in a good place soon. It's been a roller coaster ride with my son over the past 12 years some really high highs and unbelievable lows.

10/1/2016 8:34pm
hillbilly wrote:
What i was getting at with my experience is this. We know Doc and the Ateam are going to be spot on in what to do...
What i was getting at with my experience is this.

We know Doc and the Ateam are going to be spot on in what to do but once they put you in the ambulance you are at the mercy of their ability/attitude.

They most likely won't see you as the rock hard driven athlete and will just be looking to repair the injury and get you out the door,least that has been my experiences of every injury i had.

I was in the back of the ambulance by myself,the 2 emts rode up front,no neckbrace on me ,nothing. They just chatted amongst themselves on the way to the hospital.

You see what I'm getting at here??

You better have a plan,one for when the worst happens .

If i was doing the series knowing what i know I'd find out where the BEST trauma center is at each round. Make a plan ,get yourself there..

You got one shot at getting it right the 1st time.
This hits home, Hillbilly. I was thinking the same. I am a fan of Indycar racing and I think their safety team saved Alex Zanardi and Hinchcliffe. I wish moto had the same. I wish Jessy had a surgeon that cared like I do.

Maybe we could have a SX/MX ambulance with staffed good techs. Maybe we could identify good quality surgeons at each round that give a shit before we need them.

I've said this a lot on here, but I am a stem cell scientist and maybe we need to engage riders more to figure out their wishes in case the worst happens. There are some clinical trials out there, but none of us are sure they'll work. But the one I am thinking about needs to enroll people 14-30 days post SC injury. It'd be nice to go through the possibilities with each rider before it happens, so we know if they're interested in trying to enroll or not and then have a way to make it happen if so. Time is tight, and these poor guys have so much to deal with every day. It is really tough to try to have someone injured and get educated on the pros and cons of the possible treatment and navigate informed consent before enrolling. Plus, you'd have to get there, wherever "there" is for each trial, assuming you got in post injury.

Anyone on here interested, hit me on a PM and I am happy to give you my biased opinion on such treatments, for what it's worth. I have run a stem cell lab for the past decade and earned my Ph.D. from Princeton 15 years ago. I love moto, and I hate that some of you have to go through this - it sucks. DC/Prader, Jessy, whoever else: same applies. I'd love to explore ways to make life better for these guys that have to go through this.

Let me be honest, though: Jessy is defiant here and I admire that. But, the odds get tougher as time goes by, and I will only be honest too. The Dr. he hates has a tough job: delivering tough news to people all the time. The one difference between us might be that I love moto and he likely has a different view. I am also a research scientist and not an MD. But, I am working on clinical problems, so I am not far from this.
jemcee
10/1/2016 11:31pm
This hits home, Hillbilly. I was thinking the same. I am a fan of Indycar racing and I think their safety team saved Alex Zanardi and...
This hits home, Hillbilly. I was thinking the same. I am a fan of Indycar racing and I think their safety team saved Alex Zanardi and Hinchcliffe. I wish moto had the same. I wish Jessy had a surgeon that cared like I do.

Maybe we could have a SX/MX ambulance with staffed good techs. Maybe we could identify good quality surgeons at each round that give a shit before we need them.

I've said this a lot on here, but I am a stem cell scientist and maybe we need to engage riders more to figure out their wishes in case the worst happens. There are some clinical trials out there, but none of us are sure they'll work. But the one I am thinking about needs to enroll people 14-30 days post SC injury. It'd be nice to go through the possibilities with each rider before it happens, so we know if they're interested in trying to enroll or not and then have a way to make it happen if so. Time is tight, and these poor guys have so much to deal with every day. It is really tough to try to have someone injured and get educated on the pros and cons of the possible treatment and navigate informed consent before enrolling. Plus, you'd have to get there, wherever "there" is for each trial, assuming you got in post injury.

Anyone on here interested, hit me on a PM and I am happy to give you my biased opinion on such treatments, for what it's worth. I have run a stem cell lab for the past decade and earned my Ph.D. from Princeton 15 years ago. I love moto, and I hate that some of you have to go through this - it sucks. DC/Prader, Jessy, whoever else: same applies. I'd love to explore ways to make life better for these guys that have to go through this.

Let me be honest, though: Jessy is defiant here and I admire that. But, the odds get tougher as time goes by, and I will only be honest too. The Dr. he hates has a tough job: delivering tough news to people all the time. The one difference between us might be that I love moto and he likely has a different view. I am also a research scientist and not an MD. But, I am working on clinical problems, so I am not far from this.
It's funny I remember that one time we had terse words at each other on here and now here you are spending your life trying to make life better for people like me.. I'll take back what I was saying about you under my breath haha

On your last paragraph I agree I remember I was exactly the same as Jessy and so was everyone around me just trying to will my recovery and while yeah it's good but the moment I came to realise I wasn't 'getting better' was probably the worst day of my life and it was a very dangerous time and I very nearly made a decision that I couldn't take back.. I also remember having the shits with Drs and physios for their 'straight talk' and I hated the way they didn't pander to my emotions and now looking back I can see how tough their position is, and telling it straight is always the best way.. I remember one physio told me prepare for my life like I wasn't gonna get anything back because odds are I won't. If I had any hand strength I would've choked him haha but looking back he was right
10/2/2016 5:09am
Thanks, jemcee, we're good! Laughing

Yeah, it's tough for everyone involved. If the Dr. allows you to think that you'll be OK, then they're (statistically) lying to you and not preparing your brain (and family) for what is likely to be.

Having said that, there are great doctors, good doctors and crap doctors just like any other profession. It'd be great to identify good ones who don't feel like we're all a bunch of organ donors.
hillbilly
10/2/2016 5:49pm
It seems like it would be simple to take each round and search out the best trauma center in the area and have a heli on standby.

The top guys are throwing 6 figures for someone to train them. I'd spend some to get my ass to the best place when thing go wrong.

There is nothing more scarry than being hurt and knowing the hospital you are at is not prepared or the doctor's last name is Simpson.

I have been there more than once.
824 Dad
10/2/2016 9:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2016 9:30pm
hillbilly wrote:
It seems like it would be simple to take each round and search out the best trauma center in the area and have a heli on...
It seems like it would be simple to take each round and search out the best trauma center in the area and have a heli on standby.

The top guys are throwing 6 figures for someone to train them. I'd spend some to get my ass to the best place when thing go wrong.

There is nothing more scarry than being hurt and knowing the hospital you are at is not prepared or the doctor's last name is Simpson.

There is so much to this discussion. I was called when Ernesto got injured and again with Jessy. I'm a carpenter by trade (although I haven't done much of that in the last 30 years, I have been overseeing construction operations and purchasing for home builders) and I wonder why in the hell are they calling me, I'm no expert. I think I'm called because of what our family has gone through over the past 12 years with my sons spinal cord injury and I have read about the research to repair this injury almost everyday since then and know enough to to be dangerous.....

I can't believe the AMA, FIM, Feld, etc. don't have more of a plan in place. it's know at least a year in advance where each and every race is going to be (Outdoor and Supercross) why not know where the Level1 Trauma center is closest to the event, notify them in advance when the event is being held sothey are prepared for one of these horrific injuries like a traumatic brain injury or a spinal cord injury.

Why not have a relationship with a top neurosurgeon to consult with no matter where the injury takes place to give advice? Professional teams have team doctors and consultants, MX/SX needs that, something above asterisks.

I like the idea of an pre injury questionnaire, riders should fill one out ahead of time maybe with their AMA/FIM license, do they want to try clinical trial research, are they opposed to stem cells, etc.

We had the same initial response with the doctor when I asked him a few hours after my sons injury if he would have any chance of recovery and he looked at me and said "he will never have anymore function that he has now and that's not much"... I wanted to punch him. 12 years later I understand why he had his view point because most people with this injury get zero recovery but I feel they could have more compation and just leave it at " we just don't know, every injury is different and the recovery outcomes are uncertain"
hillbilly
10/3/2016 5:13am
I agree 824dad.

There could be a pileup on the start that gets 3 or 4 or more guys and the asterisk guys and emts could be overwhelmed.

Lots of coulds in there but .

Being prepared for the worst is a good thing.

I had a million dollar life insurance policy,if I died racing. It was the only way I could have peaceful mind when lining up that my family would atleast be taken care of.
10/3/2016 5:26am
Yeah, exactly guys.

The problem with spinal cord injuries is that many of the experimental treatments need to start right away. Many of them require you start treatment 7-14 days post injury. That is virtually no time considering everything that you're trying to get through already. One isn't going to have the time to research it never mind go through the surgeries needed to stabilize, etc. You miss the "inclusion criteria" after 14 days, meaning there is no way to enter the trial at that point.

I think most require being at a specific hospital, so might not have mattered in Jessy's case. But it'd be nice to look forward and try to learn from this terrible event.

Stay tough, Jessy!

WillyB
10/3/2016 6:56am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2016 6:58am
This thread makes my stomach twist every time I read a new reply. With all the new technology in modern medicine I don't understand how there isn't a cure yet. Hell, we're transplanting damn near every part of the body now. Well, minus the spine. My thoughts and prayers are with Jessy. Can't even fathom what he's going through. I don't even think the young man was peaking yet. It just sucks. Just about every damn person I know who raced dirt bikes as a kid wanted to go pro. None of my friends did. One is in the boat as Jessy. If there is anything Jessy can take from this, is at one point in his life, he was LIVING a life that majority of us just dreamed of. He raced and won at the highest level. He can never take that back. He may be bound to a chair for the rest of his life, but for that short period while he was racing, he did more living than some ever will. Stay strong Jessy! Don't lose hope. There's a lot of beauty in life and luckily, you're still around to experience it.
JSmith
10/3/2016 11:54am
That was brutal to read. I feel so sorry for Jessy. I haven't ridden in about 10 years, and have recently thought about dusting off the old two smoker. I'm thinking seriously about just selling it now after reading that.
Calihusky
10/3/2016 1:08pm
hillbilly wrote:
It seems like it would be simple to take each round and search out the best trauma center in the area and have a heli on...

824 Dad wrote:
There is so much to this discussion. I was called when Ernesto got injured and again with Jessy. I'm a carpenter by trade (although I haven't...
There is so much to this discussion. I was called when Ernesto got injured and again with Jessy. I'm a carpenter by trade (although I haven't done much of that in the last 30 years, I have been overseeing construction operations and purchasing for home builders) and I wonder why in the hell are they calling me, I'm no expert. I think I'm called because of what our family has gone through over the past 12 years with my sons spinal cord injury and I have read about the research to repair this injury almost everyday since then and know enough to to be dangerous.....

I can't believe the AMA, FIM, Feld, etc. don't have more of a plan in place. it's know at least a year in advance where each and every race is going to be (Outdoor and Supercross) why not know where the Level1 Trauma center is closest to the event, notify them in advance when the event is being held sothey are prepared for one of these horrific injuries like a traumatic brain injury or a spinal cord injury.

Why not have a relationship with a top neurosurgeon to consult with no matter where the injury takes place to give advice? Professional teams have team doctors and consultants, MX/SX needs that, something above asterisks.

I like the idea of an pre injury questionnaire, riders should fill one out ahead of time maybe with their AMA/FIM license, do they want to try clinical trial research, are they opposed to stem cells, etc.

We had the same initial response with the doctor when I asked him a few hours after my sons injury if he would have any chance of recovery and he looked at me and said "he will never have anymore function that he has now and that's not much"... I wanted to punch him. 12 years later I understand why he had his view point because most people with this injury get zero recovery but I feel they could have more compation and just leave it at " we just don't know, every injury is different and the recovery outcomes are uncertain"
I agree with your points and wish there was a plan in place at each of the races. To be honest, when I first heard about the accident I Though he would have been taken to the SUNY Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse. I was surprised when I learned he was at Bassett Medical center in Cooperstown but it is closer. Now, both centers have neurosurgeons on staff but Syracuse is larger and certainly deals with more trauma. If he had gone to a hospital without neurosurgeons he would have transferred to a different hospital for care. That wasn't the case here so there was no transfer. Often times the ambulance will take you to whatever the closest hospital is with available services regardless of where you might want to go. So, if you say you want to go somewhere else they may still just take you to the closest place. Once you are there it becomes difficult to transfer out if you want to go somewhere else. You may have to sign yourself out AMA(against medical advice) and that becomes complicated as insurance may not want to cover that. Moving forward I definitely think that it would be very good to have top hospitals in mind but keep in mind the ambulance may just go to the closest place. Not really an issue for Supercross in San Diego but could be with other more rural tracks. Also, keep in mind that the outcome might not change wherever the rider is taken but certainly everyone would agree that it would be nice to know you are going to the best possible place.
In this situation, I have read that Nelson's spinal cord was stretched but not severed or impinged by bone. If it is severed then there is the hard reality that there will probably not be any significant improvement. If it is stretched I'm not sure why he would be told in the hospital to get used to the chair. Hopefully he is getting second opinions now out here in California.

Post a reply to: Jessy Nelson Interview with TWMX

The Latest