Jessy Nelson

One-Hander
Can anyone who has contact details for Jessy please send him this link, I would love to see him go down to Panama and try this treatment. Not wanting to give any false hope, but if I had the same injury I would want to try anything available to me.

Joe and the Doctor talk about one of the patients here who made a full recovery:

https://www.cellmedicine.com/stem-cell-therapy-spinal-cord-injury-patient-video-juan-carlos-murillo/
|
tingo
1/18/2018 6:16am
Fascinating video (watched the whole thing). There are quite a few dudes in chairs on this forum - do you guys know more about this treatment? What is the other side of the argument (obviously this video is a bit one-sided)?
Fourth_Floor
1/18/2018 6:55am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 7:03am
A buddy of mine went to Panama for stem cell treatment two separate times. He noticed an improvement in feeling in his legs and gained back the "I have to go to the bathroom" sensation. Physically, there was no real improvement in his case and he is still in a chair. My daughter was born with Spina Bifida, which is basically the equivalent of a spinal cord injury which is why I was talking to my friend about his experience. Other than out of pocket expense and there not being any real guarantee how beneficial it'll be for you, I don't believe there are any negative side effects or anything. I hope we see the day that they can get this figured out and spinal cord injuries aren't life changing for people anymore. I know, just from raising my daughter, the minuscule things we take for granted like being able to know and go to the bathroom on your own without the aid of catheters and enemas. I'm sure Jessy knows of this treatment and it could be a money thing as very few people can just cough up $30,000 out of pocket for something that has no real guarantees.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/18/2018 10:15am
I'd have to look through my emails and see if it's the same thing as above but I had enquired about stem cell treatments in Panama. Problem for me was that it's not cheap and there was no guarantee. I believe you need to be there for a total of 1 month. I don't think the sessions are everyday so you have time to visit places. I believe you get a discount on hotel's but when I looked into it I believe it was cheaper just to rent an apartment.

I was interested for 2 reasons aside from the obvious of trying to get better. 1 was the language barrier wasn't going to be an issue and 2 was that they have American doctors. Nothing against people that have gone to China or elsewhere for treatments but for me personally I would feel more comfortable in an environment that is similar to my current surroundings.

I haven't clicked the link or watched the video yet but will later on today.

Fun little fact Panama is in the same time zone as Ontario where I live. Would make it easy for me to talk to family.
One-Hander
1/18/2018 10:19am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I'd have to look through my emails and see if it's the same thing as above but I had enquired about stem cell treatments in Panama...
I'd have to look through my emails and see if it's the same thing as above but I had enquired about stem cell treatments in Panama. Problem for me was that it's not cheap and there was no guarantee. I believe you need to be there for a total of 1 month. I don't think the sessions are everyday so you have time to visit places. I believe you get a discount on hotel's but when I looked into it I believe it was cheaper just to rent an apartment.

I was interested for 2 reasons aside from the obvious of trying to get better. 1 was the language barrier wasn't going to be an issue and 2 was that they have American doctors. Nothing against people that have gone to China or elsewhere for treatments but for me personally I would feel more comfortable in an environment that is similar to my current surroundings.

Fun little fact Panama is in the same time zone as Ontario where I live. Would make it easy for me to talk to family.
I skipped the video to the part where he just discusses spinal injuries. It should only be 5 minutes or so in length.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/18/2018 10:31am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I'd have to look through my emails and see if it's the same thing as above but I had enquired about stem cell treatments in Panama...

One-Hander wrote:
I skipped the video to the part where he just discusses spinal injuries. It should only be 5 minutes or so in length.
Around what mark does that discussion start? Just noticed the video is an hour long.
One-Hander
1/18/2018 10:37am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Around what mark does that discussion start? Just noticed the video is an hour long.
If you click play above, it should automatically start there?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
1/18/2018 10:45am
I used to work for a company that offers stem cell.

The down side, besides the cost, is that it is still risky in the broad sense. It's a very new treatment and done incorrectly, it can be harmful. So it requires people to be more diligent about where they go and what doctor they use. There are doctors around the world who really know what they are doing, but it's not like getting your collarbone plated where pretty much any ortho surgeon you go to can do it.

The possibilities though are very exciting.
1/18/2018 10:47am
This topic comes up here from time to time. I am a stem cell scientist, though "stem cell" can mean a lot of different things. The type discussed here is usually a "mesenchymal stem cell"-based therapy. I have chimed in on posts here many times in the past, so find examples here and here.

Bottom line: there's danger in any medical intervention. You could get an infection, and there have been cases of tumors growing post surgery. Recently, multiple people were blinded by such a treatment. Note that this last one happened in Florida, so this type of treatment/injury can happen here too.

I'd suggest reading and thinking about this free PDF. This was put together by the professional international stem cell community over our collective concern about what's been going on. The FDA believes these clinics are illegal but hasn't had the bandwidth to take them all down. I helped one in NYC that had a technical problem and I can promise you I would never let them inject anything into my body. Having said that, it doesn't mean that the general approach doesn't work at all. But, it's certainly no miracle cure, comes at a great cost financially, and could result in further injury.

I am happy to try to help my moto brothers figure out the science. I've been riding for 42 years and doing science for 25. The two have pretty much dominated my life.
One-Hander
1/18/2018 10:52am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 10:53am
This topic comes up here from time to time. I am a stem cell scientist, though "stem cell" can mean a lot of different things. The...
This topic comes up here from time to time. I am a stem cell scientist, though "stem cell" can mean a lot of different things. The type discussed here is usually a "mesenchymal stem cell"-based therapy. I have chimed in on posts here many times in the past, so find examples here and here.

Bottom line: there's danger in any medical intervention. You could get an infection, and there have been cases of tumors growing post surgery. Recently, multiple people were blinded by such a treatment. Note that this last one happened in Florida, so this type of treatment/injury can happen here too.

I'd suggest reading and thinking about this free PDF. This was put together by the professional international stem cell community over our collective concern about what's been going on. The FDA believes these clinics are illegal but hasn't had the bandwidth to take them all down. I helped one in NYC that had a technical problem and I can promise you I would never let them inject anything into my body. Having said that, it doesn't mean that the general approach doesn't work at all. But, it's certainly no miracle cure, comes at a great cost financially, and could result in further injury.

I am happy to try to help my moto brothers figure out the science. I've been riding for 42 years and doing science for 25. The two have pretty much dominated my life.
What is your take on the claims made above? They are saying the treatment basically made this guy walk again? Is the doctor mentioned above legitimate in the scientific community? I want to believe...
BobKerr
1/19/2018 10:25am
Dam! That is incredible. I ended up listening to the whole thing. Thanks for posting.
yamahaha131
1/19/2018 6:00pm
This is cool. I DM’d Jessy on instagram about this a few hours ago. I don’t know him but instantly thought of his situation.
jemcee
1/19/2018 7:50pm
Yep it's cool of you all to care and want him and people like us to get all the information but if he's anything like me, hearing about every 'miracle cure' that someone had heard about get's real old haha.. If it's a legit cure I'm pretty sure the Joe Rogan podcast won't be the first place we hear about it
1/19/2018 8:22pm
jemcee wrote:
Yep it's cool of you all to care and want him and people like us to get all the information but if he's anything like me...
Yep it's cool of you all to care and want him and people like us to get all the information but if he's anything like me, hearing about every 'miracle cure' that someone had heard about get's real old haha.. If it's a legit cure I'm pretty sure the Joe Rogan podcast won't be the first place we hear about it
What source would you prefer to hear it from? the news?
jemcee
1/19/2018 10:37pm
jemcee wrote:
Yep it's cool of you all to care and want him and people like us to get all the information but if he's anything like me...
What source would you prefer to hear it from? the news?
From our doctors or from the various support networks that deal specifically with our injuries.. Or from people like crisp above

Like I said it's awesome that people care and it's obvious that they mean well but it's just you can only hear about so many cures that don't really work out to be before it starts to actually make you feel like a cure is further away
Fourth_Floor
1/20/2018 6:51am
jemcee wrote:
From our doctors or from the various support networks that deal specifically with our injuries.. Or from people like crisp above Like I said it's awesome...
From our doctors or from the various support networks that deal specifically with our injuries.. Or from people like crisp above

Like I said it's awesome that people care and it's obvious that they mean well but it's just you can only hear about so many cures that don't really work out to be before it starts to actually make you feel like a cure is further away
I agree with you 100%. You guys that are actually living this day in and day out, I'm sure have done your research of every possible option there is on the table at this point in time.
mx_563
1/20/2018 8:21am
So why only J. Nelson? I mean, lots of people have suffered spinal chord injuries. Why's the OP directed at Nelson in particular?
Shawn142
1/20/2018 8:30am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2018 8:31am
This topic comes up here from time to time. I am a stem cell scientist, though "stem cell" can mean a lot of different things. The...

One-Hander wrote:
What is your take on the claims made above? They are saying the treatment basically made this guy walk again? Is the doctor mentioned above legitimate...
What is your take on the claims made above? They are saying the treatment basically made this guy walk again? Is the doctor mentioned above legitimate in the scientific community? I want to believe...
Bold claims require bold evidence and are very often false. And even if it was a miracle cure for one man, you can clearly see people in this post with first hand evidence that stem cells meant for spinal injuries are NOT a miracle cure. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.
1/20/2018 9:41am

One-Hander wrote:
What is your take on the claims made above? They are saying the treatment basically made this guy walk again? Is the doctor mentioned above legitimate...
Shawn142 wrote:
Bold claims require bold evidence and are very often false. And even if it was a miracle cure for one man, you can clearly see people...
Bold claims require bold evidence and are very often false. And even if it was a miracle cure for one man, you can clearly see people in this post with first hand evidence that stem cells meant for spinal injuries are NOT a miracle cure. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.
Sorry I am late-work has kept me busy. Working now, as a matter of fact (so that I can enjoy SX tonight).

I couldn't agree more, Shawn142. Even he says they start at 6 months because 98% do not recover: maybe this man is one of the two out of hundred that do recover, and it's not a miracle cure at all.

I appreciate that he's doing clinical trials. That's more than most of his peers. We'll have to see the results of a Phase II before you could conclude much. I am personally very skeptical, but I'd like to be wrong.

Post a reply to: Jessy Nelson

The Latest