Jesse Wentland draws the line

kkawboy14
1/24/2018 9:20am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 9:21am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Nobody knows the numbers I wouldn’t have the slightest idea of what they make! I started a thread that you can post some of the numbers...
Nobody knows the numbers I wouldn’t have the slightest idea of what they make! I started a thread that you can post some of the numbers you actually know and then we can start from there, if you would like to. Is it true the riders fees almost pay for their own payouts?

My snarky comments are no more snarky than your comments.

I’m guessing you are guessing they are going broke, I’m guessing they are getting rich. You have some proof they are going broke? Because I have no proof they are getting rich.

flarider wrote:
Where did I ever say they're broke or going broke? See? This is what you do, play stupid, pay no attention and just make silly comments...
Where did I ever say they're broke or going broke?

See? This is what you do, play stupid, pay no attention and just make silly comments

Nowhere did I say they're broke, I even said they are making money because if they weren't, why would they keep doing it, they're in business to make money.

How much are they allowed to make? How much profit is too much profit?

Don't put crap in my mouth I never said
What are you implying by your always pushing the add it all up button?

Ok I added it all up and they are making $1.5 million per event!
Spydee
1/24/2018 9:26am
Has Jesse posted in here yet?
kkawboy14
1/24/2018 9:30am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 9:31am
Start with $8-10 million a year from TV revenues and Monster

BobbyM
1/24/2018 9:56am
bents wrote:
Perhaps Jesse didn't articulate his position very well, but generally speaking he is right on. Most professional sports have unions where revenue sharing is the basis...
Perhaps Jesse didn't articulate his position very well, but generally speaking he is right on. Most professional sports have unions where revenue sharing is the basis of their agreement-wouldn't that be interesting?? Anyway, I have argued this to death over the years, about having some sort of union, but this will never happen. This sport, at the pro level, needs to decide the model it wants, and move forward. I do believe that anyone who is good enough to qualify and line up against the world's best should be paid a substantial sum of money as they are indeed risking life and limb to be a part of the show. The fact that this is continually pushed aside and not acknowledged is so fucking bad.
BobbyM wrote:
I lost my leg racing motocross. How much is a leg worth? Who the fuck owes me? This guy singles out mx sports and feld bit...
I lost my leg racing motocross. How much is a leg worth? Who the fuck owes me? This guy singles out mx sports and feld bit he'll race for YS? Lmao.
bents wrote:
Bobby, I'm not sure what your point is here. I am aware that you tragically lost your leg, in part due to a doctor fucking things...
Bobby, I'm not sure what your point is here. I am aware that you tragically lost your leg, in part due to a doctor fucking things up if I remember correctly as you once told us. People in the sport have been questioning the promoters for years about how much they make and also questioning why the ones starring in the show (the riders) aren't being paid more. Fair question. In the end, there have always been the haves and the have nots in our sport. It might be high time to acknowledge that riders of Jesse's calibre perhaps shouldn't even be considered at the highest level. Maybe it is time to acknowledge that the time of the privateer is over and a new model that does indeed pay the top riders more money, worthy of their talent, skill, and sacrifice to make it to the top. I'm not saying that this is what I want to see, but it might be time to evolve like other motosports mentioned in this thread.

My point is no mufucker forced us to race. We did it out of the love of riding dirtbikes...period. It certainly wasn't a career decision. This dude that proclaimed freedom from feld /mx sports needs to concentrate on his life and not the sport he loves, or doesn't love

The Shop

mauidex
1/24/2018 10:04am
Life, as far as money and employment goes, is actually very simple, you either play in someone else's sandbox and do it their way, or build your own. Maybe Jesse will figure it out after this chapter, maybe not?
1/24/2018 10:14am
MotoX85 wrote:
Could you imagine if football players had to pay to play the game every Sunday and then buy a pass for their trainer to be on...
Could you imagine if football players had to pay to play the game every Sunday and then buy a pass for their trainer to be on the field with them.

Sanctioning bodies are getting rich, privateers are getting screwed and the factories have all the insurance through terrible travel schedules and displacement rules, that privateers will never compete with their factory bikes for a whole series.

I mean, come on, who comes up with these ridiculous travel schedules in both SX and MX. Not a coincidence each series at some point jumps across the country and back.
Yeah. Could you imagine if someone NOT good enough to be a professional football player had the opportunity to pay his way onto the field in...
Yeah. Could you imagine if someone NOT good enough to be a professional football player had the opportunity to pay his way onto the field in front of a stadium of fans so he could live out his dream (aka: delusions of grandeur).

No other legitimate sport does this.

Maybe the reason there isnt good payout for the “small guys” is because the sport still operates like it’s a state fair event by letting amateurs sign up.

You dont really want a more professional sport. Neither does Jesse. So stop complaining.
How in the hell is a guy like Wentland "not good enough" to be a professional supercross rider? He literally was one of the top (let's...
How in the hell is a guy like Wentland "not good enough" to be a professional supercross rider? He literally was one of the top (let's say) 50 in the world for years. Is that not good enough for your standards? Well tough shit. It was good enough for the AMA to give him a PRO license to go out and race for a living. Maybe it's time to brush up on the definitions of amateur and professional. You truly are a jabroni.
Top 50 in a regional feeder series?

He's not good enough to be a PROFESSIONAL by definition and evidence that this thread even exists. It aint about my standards. It's the reality of the situation. He wasnt able to race for a living and that's why he's upset. The question is does his argument have any validity? And the answer is no. A union would be worse for a guy in his situation and to be fair, he's lucky he's allowed to even enter into pro events while not racing for a professional team. This aint personal. I actually agree with some of what he says, I just know what he wants to change wont help a guy in his position.

Chad Reed is a TOP 15 guy in a premier class and he's paying to go race right now. But this aint even about the racers IMO. It's about the teams. If change is going to happen, the teams need to get organized and force it. They stand with the most to gain and the least to lose. Racers are easily replaceable, teams are not. If Chad Reed organizes a boycott, Feld wont take it seriously. If all the teams throw down the hammer, the show doesnt go on without them.

Getting teams to organize for the greater good should be easier but it's not. They're all pretty cutthroat and look to the sanctioning body or promoter to referee things. And nobody knows the economics of the sport better than the teams. If they think there is money to be made by organizing and sticking it to the promoter, I'd hope they'd do it. But if they dont, what does that tell us? That this sport isnt as profitable as it seems.
APLMAN99
1/24/2018 10:20am
nickm wrote:
There is nothing stopping anyone from renting out stadiums, putting on their show and paying out whatever they feel like paying out. I guess there's the...
There is nothing stopping anyone from renting out stadiums, putting on their show and paying out whatever they feel like paying out.

I guess there's the whole problem of risking millions and hoping it works, but why bother with details.
Well, there are a few things that make it a tiny bit harder than it may seem.

In looking at some of the contract stuff from the NJSEA, it seems that a lot of promoters seem to have clauses that preclude the venue from holding a similar event 90 days before or after their event. Concerts don't have this sort of clause, but the types of motorized and circus events that Feld promotes do seem to. So that does limit the qualify of facilities available for a competing promoter.

Just for reference, the advertising for the Feld circus events are listed on their settlement sheets for their Meadowlands shows. It looks like they spend over $500K on advertising for those things. They do go for over a week, though. But I could see advertising going up to $50-$100K for a Supercross event, and perhaps more if you count all the promotional/free tickets in as advertising expense.
flarider
1/24/2018 10:31am
If you remember back to Supercross Wars, Feld (then CCE) managed to secure EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to operate "dirt based competition or exhibition events" for, some were up to 10 years, which left AMA/Jam with little more than college stadiums, arenas or Walmart parking lots

Those contracts are partly what really broke them and allowed CCE/Feld to win
1/24/2018 10:37am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 10:38am
hard2kill wrote:
Merchandise is where these sports make money, not by selling out venues which barely generates enough money to cover expenses if that. Supercross does not sell...
Merchandise is where these sports make money, not by selling out venues which barely generates enough money to cover expenses if that. Supercross does not sell very much merchandise at all. Monster Jam on the other hand sells a lot so does the NFL obviously.
I could definitely see Feld interested in creating some supercross characters that could sell. Give em some nicknames, build some background stories etc. It might sound chessey to us, but in my opinion that is probably the better route for securing a decent living for say 20 feld owned supecross riders. I don't think this will really happen, the more likely scenario is that supercross dies altogether as far as trying to be somewhat mainstream and feld sells it to a lower level promoter.
Yea if we would swallow our bro pride and buy some damn jerseys and wear them to the event....that’s revenue for the rider. But now we gotta make fun of people that wear jerseys to an event...real mature there!

Allow these riders to sell merchandise and gather a following. Like when Peick smashes Friese in the back of the head he gained likes from fans. Like it or not those fans would buy his jersey and wear it.

Monster jam is a big show. But sx we are too prestigious to try and put on a show. That’s beneath us.

Mayweather and mcgregor talked so much shit back and forth and what did that do? Enticed people to watch that fight. I’m not a fight fan to he least but I watched that fight.

These guys gotta market themselves. Make an image for themselves. And sell merchandise to supplement whatever they think is terrible pay.

I bought 2stank shirts. And hats....these other riders need a personality if they can’t win.
Premix
1/24/2018 10:47am
I can’t believe this hasn’t been brought up yet, and I think it’s because most people on this board don’t race regularly or at a competitive level, but why are the manufacturers still paying contingency at an amateur level ? Why not invest this into the professional contengency? Shit I made 125 for a Vet B win last year at an off-road race from Husky. Husky pays 400 for 11th place at Glendale. 275 dollars difference!

mx317
1/24/2018 10:58am
BobbyM wrote:
My point is no mufucker forced us to race. We did it out of the love of riding dirtbikes...period. It certainly wasn't a career decision. This...
My point is no mufucker forced us to race. We did it out of the love of riding dirtbikes...period. It certainly wasn't a career decision. This dude that proclaimed freedom from feld /mx sports needs to concentrate on his life and not the sport he loves, or doesn't love
Damn.....I like that answer!
kkawboy14
1/24/2018 11:04am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 11:05am
Premix wrote:
I can’t believe this hasn’t been brought up yet, and I think it’s because most people on this board don’t race regularly or at a competitive...
I can’t believe this hasn’t been brought up yet, and I think it’s because most people on this board don’t race regularly or at a competitive level, but why are the manufacturers still paying contingency at an amateur level ? Why not invest this into the professional contengency? Shit I made 125 for a Vet B win last year at an off-road race from Husky. Husky pays 400 for 11th place at Glendale. 275 dollars difference!

Because your the guy who actually purchases bikes. One reason why I have always stuck with kawasaki because of their amateur support.
flarider
1/24/2018 11:07am
Premix wrote:
I can’t believe this hasn’t been brought up yet, and I think it’s because most people on this board don’t race regularly or at a competitive...

To sell bikes

There are people who buy based on contingency program
APLMAN99
1/24/2018 11:17am
Premix wrote:

flarider wrote:
To sell bikes

And I think that most of us would be more apt to purchase a bike that someone we know has some success on and recommends, rather than a top level star who races on a bike that barely shares anything with a showroom bike........
Belg
1/24/2018 11:45am
looks like his results were getting better and better to a point he reached top 15 ...and when it matters , he quits ! what a STUPID STUPID move ! he's going to regret this his whole life .

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
1/24/2018 12:03pm
Sounds like he made a rational decision to stop racing top pro races.
flarider
1/24/2018 12:22pm
Premix wrote:

flarider wrote:
To sell bikes

APLMAN99 wrote:
And I think that most of us would be more apt to purchase a bike that someone we know has some success on and recommends, rather...
And I think that most of us would be more apt to purchase a bike that someone we know has some success on and recommends, rather than a top level star who races on a bike that barely shares anything with a showroom bike........
I believe he was talking at the amateur or amateur national level. When someone sees a bunch of Hondas winning local races or big Am races, they think it must be a good production bike, when in reality, they have a good contingency program or amateur system.

Pro level is different thing
1/24/2018 12:25pm
BobbyM wrote:
My point is no mufucker forced us to race. We did it out of the love of riding dirtbikes...period. It certainly wasn't a career decision. This...
mx317 wrote:
ah ha. ok sure.

No Mufucker forced almost any athlete (all sports) to pursue the sport they pursued. Most of them did it out of the love of ______________ (insert name of sport here) However, in most pro sports, when the performers realized they are the product, they are the show, they are the reason people put their asses in the seats, they said "give me my fair share." Many, if not most, of the players in all of the pro sports leagues around the world LOVE what they do, but they ain't about to do it for free.

There is no reason why at least the top 30 or 40 riders, shouldn't be able to make enough money to:
Earn a living and put some money away for when they can no longer race. (because a moto career is short usually)
Have enough money to build or access a practice facility as good as the top guys have.
Have enough money to acquire equipment that has a fighting chance against the top level or factory equipment.
Have enough money to access training at a level close to what the top guys use.

The days of privateer Joe, pitting out of his van and going out on the track to give the points leader a run for his money are long long gone. Most likely he finishes towards the back of the pack, nobody takes any notice and the promoter says "thank you very much for paying your own money to ensure we have a full field event to offer the fans." Then after doing a couple of events, he runs out of money and has to quit, or more likely he crashes his brains out trying to keep up with factory tuned equipment and athletes because that is the only way anyone takes any notice.

A bunch of you are addicted to the story of the family that mortgages everything they have to give their kid a fighting chance at a motocross career, only to have them come within an inch of making it to a factory team, but fall short and leave the whole family in financial ruin.
Alex814
1/24/2018 12:38pm
Good on Jesse to speak his mind. Anyone who thinks he still had a chance to get a factory ride at this point is more than likely just ignorant to the reality of this sport.
BobbyM
1/24/2018 1:21pm
BobbyM wrote:
mx317 wrote:
Mr. Knobby wrote:
ah ha. ok sure. No Mufucker forced almost any athlete (all sports) to pursue the sport they pursued. Most of them did it out of the...
ah ha. ok sure.

No Mufucker forced almost any athlete (all sports) to pursue the sport they pursued. Most of them did it out of the love of ______________ (insert name of sport here) However, in most pro sports, when the performers realized they are the product, they are the show, they are the reason people put their asses in the seats, they said "give me my fair share." Many, if not most, of the players in all of the pro sports leagues around the world LOVE what they do, but they ain't about to do it for free.

There is no reason why at least the top 30 or 40 riders, shouldn't be able to make enough money to:
Earn a living and put some money away for when they can no longer race. (because a moto career is short usually)
Have enough money to build or access a practice facility as good as the top guys have.
Have enough money to acquire equipment that has a fighting chance against the top level or factory equipment.

The days of privateer Joe, pitting out of his van and going out on the track to give the points leader a run for his money are long long gone. Most likely he finishes towards the back of the pack, nobody takes any notice and the promoter says "thank you very much for paying your own money to ensure we have a full field event to offer the fans." Then after doing a couple of events, he runs out of money and has to quit, or more likely he crashes his brains out trying to keep up with factory tuned equipment and athletes because that is the only way anyone takes any notice.

A bunch of you are addicted to the story of the family that mortgages everything they have to give their kid a fighting chance at a motocross career, only to have them come within an inch of making it to a factory team, but fall short and leave the whole family in financial ruin.
They would do it for free if all the other sports were as fun as riding dirtbikes to a certain degree. Think about that.
motoBRD
1/24/2018 1:21pm
I don't know why I read all of that, but here we are - 9 pages deep and nowhere near what I believe is at the heart of the issue. And since this is a forum, I'll leave my unsupported opinion right here, just like the rest of you.

I believe strongly that the market dictates what is fair, and for that reason believe the payouts are about right. Flame on I guess. Yes, the sport is dangerous, and yes, other people besides the privateer are making a lot of money. But if it wasn't fair, don't you think we would have seen maybe once - just once - a time when the gates weren't full? I've been watching SX/MX since I was 4, and I'm 30, and I've never seen a main or a moto with less than the full gate. The show always goes on. Hell, they even added 2 spots recently. Why do the riders keep signing up and paying these entry fees, and risking it all? Is FELD also into some kind of mind control that I don't know about?

And now for the heart of the issue - the fans. I think the fans are the only ones with any leverage here. The factories need FELD (throw in any other promoter here) to market and sell their product. The privateers need FELD so they can chase their dream. The fans - now the fans don't need FELD. They, dare I say 'we', could stop attending races. We could stop watching and stop buying merchandise. We are the only ones who matter that can speak up. But, we don't, myself and all of you included.

You all, or I assume most of you, watch and attend the races voting 'YES' with your dollar. And then in a confused fit come here trying to get your vote back. I mean, does FELD have a business without your eyes and wallets? I don't think so.

So - I don't think that gets us anywhere collectively. I too will continue to watch and get caught up in this paradox, but I'll feel a little better believing that it's fair. The guys keep showing up, making some money, living the dream of going factory. I know it. My cousin little cousin has been trying since he was 4. He's been mid-20s at LL in Pro Sport/A the last few years and now trying to qualify at Unadilla while my uncle drives the motor home, fixing all the burned out clutches this kid tears through. This kid is smart though, and he's going to college and starting to realize the dream is coming to an end - just like this rant.
1/24/2018 1:33pm
motoBRD wrote:
I don't know why I read all of that, but here we are - 9 pages deep and nowhere near what I believe is at the...
I don't know why I read all of that, but here we are - 9 pages deep and nowhere near what I believe is at the heart of the issue. And since this is a forum, I'll leave my unsupported opinion right here, just like the rest of you.

I believe strongly that the market dictates what is fair, and for that reason believe the payouts are about right. Flame on I guess. Yes, the sport is dangerous, and yes, other people besides the privateer are making a lot of money. But if it wasn't fair, don't you think we would have seen maybe once - just once - a time when the gates weren't full? I've been watching SX/MX since I was 4, and I'm 30, and I've never seen a main or a moto with less than the full gate. The show always goes on. Hell, they even added 2 spots recently. Why do the riders keep signing up and paying these entry fees, and risking it all? Is FELD also into some kind of mind control that I don't know about?

And now for the heart of the issue - the fans. I think the fans are the only ones with any leverage here. The factories need FELD (throw in any other promoter here) to market and sell their product. The privateers need FELD so they can chase their dream. The fans - now the fans don't need FELD. They, dare I say 'we', could stop attending races. We could stop watching and stop buying merchandise. We are the only ones who matter that can speak up. But, we don't, myself and all of you included.

You all, or I assume most of you, watch and attend the races voting 'YES' with your dollar. And then in a confused fit come here trying to get your vote back. I mean, does FELD have a business without your eyes and wallets? I don't think so.

So - I don't think that gets us anywhere collectively. I too will continue to watch and get caught up in this paradox, but I'll feel a little better believing that it's fair. The guys keep showing up, making some money, living the dream of going factory. I know it. My cousin little cousin has been trying since he was 4. He's been mid-20s at LL in Pro Sport/A the last few years and now trying to qualify at Unadilla while my uncle drives the motor home, fixing all the burned out clutches this kid tears through. This kid is smart though, and he's going to college and starting to realize the dream is coming to an end - just like this rant.
Everything you said is correct - BUT:

the market changes, or put another way - it is changed.
There was a time that NHL players used to have to have a second job to pay the bills on top of playing hockey professionally, then it changed. More to the point it was changed by people who saw that it needed to be changed.

Bobby, yes - agree, but in all honesty Baseball, hockey, football, soccer, tennis etc can all be quite fun as well.
FIREfish148
1/24/2018 2:06pm
There will never be a union in motocross. Period. The guys egos are WAY too big to think about other riders, and the way the contracts are payed out there's goi to have to be a sudden disruption in the series. Like all of the riders getting together and demanding better benefits after the track is built or something.

Most of esse guys are week-to-week though, so that alone will keep it from happening.
motoBRD
1/24/2018 2:06pm
motoBRD wrote:
I don't know why I read all of that, but here we are - 9 pages deep and nowhere near what I believe is at the...

Mr. Knobby wrote:
Everything you said is correct - BUT: the market changes, or put another way - it is changed. There was a time that NHL players used...
Everything you said is correct - BUT:

the market changes, or put another way - it is changed.
There was a time that NHL players used to have to have a second job to pay the bills on top of playing hockey professionally, then it changed. More to the point it was changed by people who saw that it needed to be changed.

Bobby, yes - agree, but in all honesty Baseball, hockey, football, soccer, tennis etc can all be quite fun as well.
I agree, markets do change. It just doesn't seem like ours has changed much. Someone may blast me with facts here (edit: wait this vital right), but it seems like the number of factory rides hasn't gone up or down much in the past 25yrs, and we have about the same number of participants at the pro level. Has the viewership increased that much over that time? Whereas the NHL has added many new teams, participants, TV markets, and viewership. Hence, increased salary. The players demand it. Our riders don't demand it.
Rhody
1/24/2018 4:01pm
Mr. Knobby wrote:
ah ha. ok sure. No Mufucker forced almost any athlete (all sports) to pursue the sport they pursued. Most of them did it out of the...
ah ha. ok sure.

Actually I hate the story of the family that mortgages everything to give their kid a chance at a motocross career. I would rather see a guy that whooped everyone at the local level but didn't spend all the families money show up at a local SX and make the show. The kids that blow all the families money and spend 10k for every $1,000 they earn screw it up for the guys with talent but no money behind them. It's kind of like some guy showing up at your worksite and telling the boss he'll run the excavator for free. If there is no union, and no need to make production, the boss would put him in the seat of the excavator and send home the qualified operator who costs $80/hr. So those kids, whose parents mortgage the house, show up and tell Feld, "Hey, I'll pay to put on your show!" The Promoter looks at the other guys and says "This kid will race for free, why should I pay you". You answer- "I can actually ride a supercross track". Promoter says, "Yeah but who's gonna to watch you put in consistent laps when this kid is gonna yard sale a triple and make the crowd go OOOOOHHHHH?"
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
1/24/2018 5:12pm
Wanna make a billion dollars? Solve a billion dollar problem. While Jesse's skill and talent level far exceeds mine (on a dirt bike), his market value just isn't worth much. At his point in his career, you are what your record says you are. Did Weston Peick need a riders union to get where he is today? It's a pervasive victim mentality problem. Most of the time, the right answer is just simply to work harder.
tcallahan707
1/24/2018 5:24pm
Yeah. Could you imagine if someone NOT good enough to be a professional football player had the opportunity to pay his way onto the field in...
Yeah. Could you imagine if someone NOT good enough to be a professional football player had the opportunity to pay his way onto the field in front of a stadium of fans so he could live out his dream (aka: delusions of grandeur).

No other legitimate sport does this.

Maybe the reason there isnt good payout for the “small guys” is because the sport still operates like it’s a state fair event by letting amateurs sign up.

You dont really want a more professional sport. Neither does Jesse. So stop complaining.
How in the hell is a guy like Wentland "not good enough" to be a professional supercross rider? He literally was one of the top (let's...
How in the hell is a guy like Wentland "not good enough" to be a professional supercross rider? He literally was one of the top (let's say) 50 in the world for years. Is that not good enough for your standards? Well tough shit. It was good enough for the AMA to give him a PRO license to go out and race for a living. Maybe it's time to brush up on the definitions of amateur and professional. You truly are a jabroni.
Top 50 in a regional feeder series? He's not good enough to be a PROFESSIONAL by definition and evidence that this thread even exists. It aint...
Top 50 in a regional feeder series?

He's not good enough to be a PROFESSIONAL by definition and evidence that this thread even exists. It aint about my standards. It's the reality of the situation. He wasnt able to race for a living and that's why he's upset. The question is does his argument have any validity? And the answer is no. A union would be worse for a guy in his situation and to be fair, he's lucky he's allowed to even enter into pro events while not racing for a professional team. This aint personal. I actually agree with some of what he says, I just know what he wants to change wont help a guy in his position.

Chad Reed is a TOP 15 guy in a premier class and he's paying to go race right now. But this aint even about the racers IMO. It's about the teams. If change is going to happen, the teams need to get organized and force it. They stand with the most to gain and the least to lose. Racers are easily replaceable, teams are not. If Chad Reed organizes a boycott, Feld wont take it seriously. If all the teams throw down the hammer, the show doesnt go on without them.

Getting teams to organize for the greater good should be easier but it's not. They're all pretty cutthroat and look to the sanctioning body or promoter to referee things. And nobody knows the economics of the sport better than the teams. If they think there is money to be made by organizing and sticking it to the promoter, I'd hope they'd do it. But if they dont, what does that tell us? That this sport isnt as profitable as it seems.
Top 50 overall.

I didn't make any reference to a union or what was best for the riders/promoters/sport. I simply commented on your view that he was basically an amateur who bought his way into a professional sporting event. I do not feel the same way about that. If Joe Football plays in the NFL as a back up for 4 or 5 years and then doesn't get signed and has to move on with life, was he just an amateur without the skillset to be professional?
8tensolutions
1/24/2018 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 6:00pm
Mr. Knobby wrote:
ah ha. ok sure.

Where does the $ come from to build a practice facility? That is at least $250K if they already own the land which I assume basically no riders already do, not to mention the maintenance etc. If they do not already own the land, add another $3-500K. You are saying Ronnie Stewart should be making $2,000,000 (1.2-1.4 after tax) to be able to afford this?

Dean Wilsons equipment worked fine last year as did Malcolm Stewarts. Others this year too.

Nobody is saying riders should do it for free, but it is their responsibility to build the value rather than expecting the promoter to do it for them.
APLMAN99
1/24/2018 5:59pm
Top 50 overall. I didn't make any reference to a union or what was best for the riders/promoters/sport. I simply commented on your view that he...
Top 50 overall.

I didn't make any reference to a union or what was best for the riders/promoters/sport. I simply commented on your view that he was basically an amateur who bought his way into a professional sporting event. I do not feel the same way about that. If Joe Football plays in the NFL as a back up for 4 or 5 years and then doesn't get signed and has to move on with life, was he just an amateur without the skillset to be professional?
Top 50 in the world might be a bit of a stretch, but there were probably days that he may have been of course. There are a lot of fast guys who aren't in the racing series here is the States who may qualify for that list ahead of him.......

The football player analogy is a poor one. Obviously someone felt that he was worth paying a (relatively high) salary to for 4-5 years to be a football player.

SX/MX is obviously pretty different as you can enter events without being paid by an employer, so that it certainly can be effectively a hobby that you'd like to be a profession, without it ever really paying the bills.

I'd be interested in hearing exactly how much this young man (who I don't have any ill will towards!) thinks he should have been renumerated for in his past races and seasons. That'd be an interesting topic. Does he think that his results 'deserve' a payout of $50K? $100K? $250K? And after that, how much should those who finished far higher than him should be paid.

Unfortunately that sort of discussion would devolve into name calling, personal attacks, etc. But it truly would be a genuinely interesting thing to discuss as long as you weren't going in to 'school' him on the economics of things or try to change his mind.

Post a reply to: Jesse Wentland draws the line

The Latest