Jesse Wentland draws the line

1/25/2018 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 1:59pm
You cant tell me it wouldnt be more fun to see one series with all the best teams & riders:

Roczen
Tomac
Reed
Webb
Bagget
Martin
Anderson
Barcia
Wilson
Hill
Osborne
AC
Marvin
Cairoli
Herlings
Gajser
Tixier
Panda
Wentland
gt80rider
1/25/2018 12:59pm
steveada wrote:
I think too many have a very skewed belief of the finances involved here. Feld gets 2.2 million a year from FX1, their highest ever, which...
I think too many have a very skewed belief of the finances involved here. Feld gets 2.2 million a year from FX1, their highest ever, which is a pittance. By comparison, the PAC12 conference gets 220 million a year from its TV contract for football, and that doesn't include bowl games and championship games. I use that as an example only because I am familiar with it, not that it is in any way similar to supercross. There's just not a whole lot of money to go around here, and Feld seems to be dong a pretty good job of promoting the series. I also don't see any teams making a killing, it seems to be a constant struggle for them just to keep racing, let alone get a huge profit. It is not possible for purse money to ever be high enough to significantly offset the costs involved for them to field a team, they all will always require outside support to keep going. If it is that way for the major teams, it kind of has to be the same for privateers.
Wow... Just wow what some people can have running through their head....

My advice to you, never, as in Ever, work with large sums of money....
1/25/2018 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 1:11pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I agree with everything you said. Personally I love all the changes Feld has done. The privateers/small teams are the feeder system to the success of...
I agree with everything you said. Personally I love all the changes Feld has done. The privateers/small teams are the feeder system to the success of the industry in my opinion. I really don’t want to see 12 man mains, personally I would prefer watching 30 man mains, to me lappers create drama.
But I don’t tune in to see people watching sx on their bikes in their living rooms, I would prefer that time to be anything rider related.
I dont think the privateers or super small teams are the feeder system. The number of guys that actually make it to a elite team via the privateer route is way too small to call the privateer system a legitimate talent building feeder system.

Go down the list of guys getting "paid" in SX. They mostly came from the amateur ranks already getting factory support. Then they go to the 250s, and even then, they arent guaranteed anything at the next level. You have guys with 250 titles to their names without contracts. Pro Circuit champs almost never even get a Factory Kawi offer. That is very telling. And indicative of just how thin the media exposure is spread. That TV time spent on the 250 class, on a kid that likely wont make it in 450's, is why a smaller 450 team doesnt have the sponsors to sign a former 250 champ.

And by forcing all the elite teams into 450, the privateers racing AX or whatever legitimate feeder series would have a much better time proving their talents because they wouldnt be going up against teams with sophisticated electronics (traction control) and all the other bells and whistles. If the end goal is for a privateer to one day get signed to a team, they should welcome a feeder system that allows them best to show their talents AND allow for the smaller teams in the 450 class to have the revenue to even sign them. The current system is pretty far from that.
JAC
1/25/2018 1:43pm
As a parent who has a rider in the group we're talking about, I feel Jesse's pain. I assume it's Feld that has selected the number of riders that make the main (22) and the night show (40). If they want to shrink or grow that number, that is up to them. But whatever the number is, the riders that hit those determined marks should be compensated like professionals. The current pay structure is embarrassing for the sport.

For what it's worth, Jesse had an amateur career most riders dream about. He had ten top ten finishes at Loretta's and won Loretta's in the Open Pro Sport class. While he hasn't had a stellar pro career, he's been a solid main event rider with a few really good finishes.

Good luck in the future Jesse.

Joey

The Shop

Rhody
1/25/2018 1:46pm
Question for Jabroni- What does the night show look like without a support class? Keep in mind, we have a 3 hour show to put on.
1/25/2018 1:51pm
You cant tell me it wouldnt be more fun to see one series with all the best teams & riders: Roczen Tomac Reed Webb Bagget Martin...
You cant tell me it wouldnt be more fun to see one series with all the best teams & riders:

Roczen
Tomac
Reed
Webb
Bagget
Martin
Anderson
Barcia
Wilson
Hill
Osborne
AC
Marvin
Cairoli
Herlings
Gajser
Tixier
Panda
Wentland
I would love to see that but would probably add Roczen in there somewhere Tongue
1/25/2018 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 2:23pm
Rhody wrote:
Question for Jabroni- What does the night show look like without a support class? Keep in mind, we have a 3 hour show to put on.
1. Three hours is too damn long for TV
2. MotoGP races last appx 45 minutes (but of course, the show lasts an entire weekend)

Total Day would look like this:

All morning (open pits & media obligations for riders/teams)
60 min (open practice for the riders)
15 min (qualifying)
15 min (intermission: gives riders a rest and fans the chance to concessions)
90 min (live TV broadcast)

I'd live stream practices and timed qualifying (for grid position) for the internet viewers at home. Subscription based (if there is even the demand for that).

For the mains I'd try to get the show down to a 90 minute long broadcast:

10 minutes of Pre-Race hype (allow time for interviews & track prep from practice/qualifying)
5 minutes TV timeout (riders take their sight lap)
15 minutes Main 1
5 minutes TV timeout (concessions)
5 minutes Pit Interviews (air them on the jumbotron live)
15 minutes Main 2
15 minutes Main 3
5 minutes TV timeout
5 minutes Post-Race Closing

That's a action packed 90 minutes. 20 minutes of commercials. Run additional advertising (commercials) in picture-in-picture format like they do for MotoGP in Europe that way FX1 gets their money's worth and the action isnt interrupted.

That's a 3 hour day (without tailgating) for the average fan/family that goes to the event. They still get their money's worth. 2 hours worth of track action (for the diehards that want to watch the live stream). 90 minutes of Main Event broadcast to suit the modern attention span.
mx317
1/25/2018 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 3:21pm
Rhody wrote:
1. Three hours is too damn long for TV 2. MotoGP races last appx 45 minutes (but of course, the show lasts an entire weekend) Total...
1. Three hours is too damn long for TV
2. MotoGP races last appx 45 minutes (but of course, the show lasts an entire weekend)

Total Day would look like this:

All morning (open pits & media obligations for riders/teams)
60 min (open practice for the riders)
15 min (qualifying)
15 min (intermission: gives riders a rest and fans the chance to concessions)
90 min (live TV broadcast)

I'd live stream practices and timed qualifying (for grid position) for the internet viewers at home. Subscription based (if there is even the demand for that).

For the mains I'd try to get the show down to a 90 minute long broadcast:

10 minutes of Pre-Race hype (allow time for interviews & track prep from practice/qualifying)
5 minutes TV timeout (riders take their sight lap)
15 minutes Main 1
15 minutes Main 2
15 minutes Main 3
5 minutes TV timeout
5 minutes Post-Race Closing

That's a action packed 90 minutes. 20 minutes of commercials. Run additional advertising (commercials) in picture-in-picture format like they do for MotoGP in Europe that way FX1 gets their money's worth and the action isnt interrupted.

That's a 3 hour day (without tailgating) for the average fan/family that goes to the event. They still get their money's worth. 2 hours worth of track action (for the diehards that want to watch the live stream). 90 minutes of Main Event broadcast to suit the modern attention span.
How many sponsors leave because their exposure is cut in half (or less)? People don't like the picture in picture and sponsors know they will be watching races not ads
1/25/2018 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 3:55pm
mx317 wrote:
How many sponsors leave because their exposure is cut in half (or less)? People don't like the picture in picture and sponsors know they will be...
How many sponsors leave because their exposure is cut in half (or less)? People don't like the picture in picture and sponsors know they will be watching races not ads
Picture in Picture works in Europe. So sponsors are obviously ok with it.

You'd rather they cut away from the live racing for a commercial?

And exactly who's exposure is cut in half? That 90 minutes of live production includes 45 minutes of real racing and 10 minutes of pit interviews where the sponsors get more exposure.

Are you referring to the industry sponsors that run the same four TV commercials 39 times during a SX broadcast?

The current format has a 250 main that matters for about 10 minutes and a 450 main that matters for another 10 minutes. And by then most of the stadium is cleared out or if you're at home you're already on Vital trying to get the bench racing on. The current format has 20 minutes of racing that matters. And a ton of filler that doesnt matter and most everyone dislikes.

90 minutes in which the audience is engaged is far more effective than 3 hours of mostly junk. MotoGP is a 1 hour program. The NBA wants games to be just over 2 hours. The NFL just barely gets away with it's 3 hour show (and they only have a 15 minute halftime of filler). You gotta consider attention spans and social media impact. SX broadcasts are getting longer when every other major sport is trying to be more efficient. What's that tell you?

mx317
1/25/2018 4:01pm
That idea also means spectators there live are getting much less for their money. I'm sure they won't cut ticket prices. I just can't see this working at all, but that's my opinion.
1/25/2018 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 4:15pm
mx317 wrote:
That idea also means spectators there live are getting much less for their money. I'm sure they won't cut ticket prices. I just can't see this...
That idea also means spectators there live are getting much less for their money. I'm sure they won't cut ticket prices. I just can't see this working at all, but that's my opinion.
How so? Do live spectators really value semi’s and LCQs that dont matter and include racers nobody knows versus main events that have your most marketable figures in action?

Fans still get the pits.

Plus 75 min of practice & qualifying, if they want it

And a 90 min show with minmal down time. That’s perfect for families.

You can make the day as long as you want it. 4 hrs, 3 hrs, or 90 min.

And it works for both TV audience and live spectators.
Rhody
1/25/2018 4:40pm
You assume that almost everyone dislikes the current format. I do like the current format and will tne out if they go to the 3 main format. The current format builds up to the mains, the 3 main format is rinse wash repeat. I prefer to see differnt guys trying to get into the show. I do think that the heats should be more important because racing for gate pick is pretty "Meh" in my opinion. Maybe take the Holeshot Bonus and pay that to the heat race winners and award points for the heats, top 3, 3pt, 2pt, 1 pt. And I love LCQ's. this is where it gets decided if your weekend was worth the trip or a waste of time. Heck I don't watch outdoors because I have to watch 2 races and do math to see a winner.
Joe512
1/25/2018 5:18pm
Payouts are public knowledge, no one forced him to line up on that gate. Go get a 9-5 and move on without the dramatic Instagram post.
GarySemics
1/25/2018 6:36pm
Its always been that way. Riders (Stanton for one) have tried to form unions before but have always come up way short of getting off the ground. It would take serious organization and commitment from all the top riders to pull it off! They're not going to do that because they're making big bucks! MX and especially SX is quickly turning into a sport that only the rich and elite top riding will be racing!
brocster
1/25/2018 6:48pm
Joe512 wrote:
Payouts are public knowledge, no one forced him to line up on that gate. Go get a 9-5 and move on without the dramatic Instagram post.
And if all privateers thought like that (Jesse) and pulled the plug causing empty gates for the heats and semi’s all the guys here with your attitude are going to be the first ones to bitch and cry that the sport is dying
jeffro503
1/25/2018 7:14pm
All the top guys came from AM's and privateer's.

What happens when you cut them loose from the show? Where are the next group of fast guys going to come from?

Some of you really need to sit back and think about what the " root " of this sport is.....and why it's called the "root ".

The fast guys have to come from some where....so where do you suppose they'll be coming from? Right out of LL's , into a 250 main event in SX? Nothing like throwing them right into the wolf den I guess.

Post a reply to: Jesse Wentland draws the line

The Latest