Jess pettis to race AMA supercross

js451
Edited Date/Time 12/20/2020 7:26pm
|
Monte122
12/16/2020 2:08pm
He did awesome last season! I hope he does well, cool likeable guy and very fast.
rhargrave431
12/16/2020 2:22pm
$5 says he's better than Vohland
Not to be negative or high jack the thread, but I can't see a way that the Vohland sx season works well. I Can't believe they didn't sign someone with some experience, like Marchbanks, probably cheap because its a factory bike, and let Max turn pro this summer and go from there.
berm surfer
12/16/2020 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 2:29pm
Im super stoked for Pettis and IMO he is going to be a surprise title threat. Hes training at the Bakers Factory and going to come into this season prepped, fit and hungry for wins.

The Shop

MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1978th
12/16/2020 2:30pm
Hell yeah. And to the messages above...they’re rushing max and I’m not sure why. Pressure from The ups at KTM?
mxnick
12/16/2020 2:35pm
Not to be negative or high jack the thread, but I can't see a way that the Vohland sx season works well. I Can't believe they...
Not to be negative or high jack the thread, but I can't see a way that the Vohland sx season works well. I Can't believe they didn't sign someone with some experience, like Marchbanks, probably cheap because its a factory bike, and let Max turn pro this summer and go from there.
I think it is safe to say that KTM is taking the long road with Vohland - just like RD took with Dungey. Results in the first year or two are perhaps not as important as the long goal of building a high quality and long lasting champion.
berno929
Fantasy
2519th
12/16/2020 2:37pm
The ways things are set up, Pettis would be the perfect fill-in if Vohland doesn't end up racing SX for whatever reason. He had top 10 speed 2-3 years ago on the West coast and has improved since. I think he should beat Vohland, Swoll, Robertson and even Brown. Only Hampshire and Mosiman should beat him on the KTM/Husky/Gasgas bike...

berno929
Fantasy
2519th
12/16/2020 2:42pm
Hell yeah. And to the messages above...they’re rushing max and I’m not sure why. Pressure from The ups at KTM?
I could be wrong but it seems like they need someone riding an orange 250. The white and red teams had to have certain riders to fullfill sponsors obligations. Orange team had no budget left to hire someone else so they're pushing on Vohland who already had a deal...

foreman52
Fantasy
3183rd
12/16/2020 3:14pm
Pettis is going to be a serious threat for that 4th-7th position. One good season in SX and staying healthy he could most definitely be a title threat in 22. He’s riding with all the big boys and the right training crew. He had an incredible 19 SX season before he got hurt. All aboard the Canadian hype train!
motoman154__
Fantasy
3343rd
12/16/2020 3:28pm
Not to be negative or high jack the thread, but I can't see a way that the Vohland sx season works well. I Can't believe they...
mxnick wrote:
I think it is safe to say that KTM is taking the long road with Vohland - just like RD took with Dungey. Results in the...
I think it is safe to say that KTM is taking the long road with Vohland - just like RD took with Dungey. Results in the first year or two are perhaps not as important as the long goal of building a high quality and long lasting champion.
If throwing Vohland into AMA supercross with one 250f race ever (and probably no more than 8 months on the bike) results in a high quality and long lasting champion, he's the most naturally skilled rider of all time or Decoster is the smartest man alive
TeamGreen
12/16/2020 3:51pm
Psssst....

Over here. Look, I heard this from some old-dude that follows Canadian Motocross really, really closely: they will NEVER let him race US MX(outdoor “Motocross”)...Why? Because, he’d go full “Herlings” on the 250 class.
Woohoo
zeromarine
12/16/2020 5:12pm
He should do really well! He’s fast he rides the local track here once and a while in the summer. Fun to watch.
BS12
12/16/2020 8:03pm
numbers wrote:
Imagine if Vohland gets the flu days before SX starts and Petis fills right in. KTM would have a better look.
rhargrave431
12/16/2020 9:51pm
mxnick wrote:
I think it is safe to say that KTM is taking the long road with Vohland - just like RD took with Dungey. Results in the...
Pulling him from the school boy class to Supercross is the long road?
jbrown15
12/16/2020 11:20pm
mxnick wrote:
Long road with Dungey? I don't understand your logic? Dungey won 250 races in his rookie year (not with KTM) and won a race his first year with KTM on a 450.

I think there's zero chance Vohland wins a race with KTM this year in his rookie season. From the few video's I'm seen of him he doesn't look comfortable blitzing whoops. It would be a cool story to see him do good in his rookie season but I think he's gonna get eaten up this year. Of course I'd love to be wrong.
mxnick
12/16/2020 11:55pm
jbrown15 wrote:
Long road with Dungey? I don't understand your logic? Dungey won 250 races in his rookie year (not with KTM) and won a race his first...
Long road with Dungey? I don't understand your logic? Dungey won 250 races in his rookie year (not with KTM) and won a race his first year with KTM on a 450.

I think there's zero chance Vohland wins a race with KTM this year in his rookie season. From the few video's I'm seen of him he doesn't look comfortable blitzing whoops. It would be a cool story to see him do good in his rookie season but I think he's gonna get eaten up this year. Of course I'd love to be wrong.
You absolutely misunderstood my post.

When I say "The long road", I mean Roger and Ian see something with Max, and see him as a future champ.

Will he win next year? TBD. But they clearly see enough potential in the kid to bet big. Plus his dad, uncle and grandfather know a thing or two about building champs.

Last time Roger bet big on a kid coming up, it was Ryan Dungey.

That worked out pretty well, in my opinion....
Mossy940
12/17/2020 12:04am
To be honest, I don’t have a clue where all this shit talking on Vohland is coming from.

The kid is plenty fast, has incredible form, and a strong foundation to build a career on.
Ian and Roger saw enough in Max that they brought back the first factory KTM 250F in years specifically for him.

But yea, y’all definitely know better...the fact someone actually hopes Max gets the flu so a Canadian can take his spot and make KTM look better? GTFO, some people never cease to amaze me
mxnick
12/17/2020 12:13am
No, perhaps I was not clear enough with my post:

Roger and Ian see something in Vohland.

They see he has the ability, skills and desire to be a champion over the long haul of his career.

They have taken a gamble on him. Will he win right away in year one? That is hard to say.

But at the end of the day, I would never bet on the wrong side of Roger and Ian, nor any decision they have made on young talent.

If anything, when Roger makes a bold bet, it really speaks some volume towards that rider and their belief in the talent and skill of that rider....

Dungey is a perfect example. He was out-shined by many riders in 2005 / 2006, but he clicked with The Man, and the rest was history.

Lets see if Vohland has it....might have to revive this thread in 2023..........
mxnick
12/17/2020 12:19am
mxnick wrote:
If throwing Vohland into AMA supercross with [i]one[/i] 250f race [i]ever[/i] (and probably no more than 8 months on the bike) results in a high quality...
If throwing Vohland into AMA supercross with one 250f race ever (and probably no more than 8 months on the bike) results in a high quality and long lasting champion, he's the most naturally skilled rider of all time or Decoster is the smartest man alive
I am not betting against Roger, are you?

Rogers last personal amateur pick was Ryan Dungey. He was good as kid, but not great.

Roger saw something in the kid - and I think it worked out for both of them.

He might see the same in Max.

Is it a traditional path? No. But time will tell.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/17/2020 1:21am
Mossy940 wrote:
To be honest, I don’t have a clue where all this shit talking on Vohland is coming from. The kid is plenty fast, has incredible form...
To be honest, I don’t have a clue where all this shit talking on Vohland is coming from.

The kid is plenty fast, has incredible form, and a strong foundation to build a career on.
Ian and Roger saw enough in Max that they brought back the first factory KTM 250F in years specifically for him.

But yea, y’all definitely know better...the fact someone actually hopes Max gets the flu so a Canadian can take his spot and make KTM look better? GTFO, some people never cease to amaze me
"But yea, y’all definitely know better...the fact someone actually hopes Max gets the flu so a Canadian can take his spot and make KTM look better? GTFO, some people never cease to amaze me."

Grinning You might want to take a look at "numbers" posting history. He likes to stir the pot.

Besides, he didn't say he hoped. He said imagine. There's a difference.
mh226
12/17/2020 4:13am
As someone who has been trackside watching jess outdoors the last few years... He is the real deal, and could be very competitive down south. This bakers factory time hopefully leads to a full time ride down south. He is wasting talent up north.
Adam43
12/19/2020 10:46am
mxnick wrote:
No, perhaps I was not clear enough with my post: Roger and Ian see something in Vohland. They see he has the ability, skills and desire...
No, perhaps I was not clear enough with my post:

Roger and Ian see something in Vohland.

They see he has the ability, skills and desire to be a champion over the long haul of his career.

They have taken a gamble on him. Will he win right away in year one? That is hard to say.

But at the end of the day, I would never bet on the wrong side of Roger and Ian, nor any decision they have made on young talent.

If anything, when Roger makes a bold bet, it really speaks some volume towards that rider and their belief in the talent and skill of that rider....

Dungey is a perfect example. He was out-shined by many riders in 2005 / 2006, but he clicked with The Man, and the rest was history.

Lets see if Vohland has it....might have to revive this thread in 2023..........
You wouldn't bet against any of Roger and Ian's young picks?

There's so many that went bust you won't even remember: Riddle, Thain, Lalloz, Gray, Moss...

Vohland is getting thrown into the deep end like the rest, sink or swim.

If Dungey didn't thrive immediately he would have been like the rest.

I think Pettis will do great, rooting for him. But he was far from ready at Vohland's age too.
mb60
12/19/2020 11:04am
From the interview he has the same motor package. Factory suspension and KTM backing. So don't see what the point of is thinking he needs KTM USA.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/19/2020 11:44am
mb60 wrote:
From the interview he has the same motor package. Factory suspension and KTM backing. So don't see what the point of is thinking he needs KTM...
From the interview he has the same motor package. Factory suspension and KTM backing. So don't see what the point of is thinking he needs KTM USA.
Travel, hotels, compensation, etc. instead of paying out of pocket.
mb60
12/19/2020 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2020 12:08pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Travel, hotels, compensation, etc. instead of paying out of pocket.
None of that should reflect his results. If he can prove it on the track I'm sure more support will come. Not like he is pitting out of a truck.

Post a reply to: Jess pettis to race AMA supercross

The Latest