Jerry Robin

bd
9/20/2014 7:10pm
TD248 wrote:
Loretta's is a great event don't get me wrong but as the event grew, i think it ruined the sport. The days of showing up to...
Loretta's is a great event don't get me wrong but as the event grew, i think it ruined the sport. The days of showing up to your first pro race unheard of and making a name for yourself as a pro ended. AC signed his pro contract when he was on 80's, its ridiculous. I turned pro this year for sx i could only afford to go to two rounds raced a bone stock bike and qualified for the heats. This year im going to try and race all east coast sx while working during the week while gus takes my bikes to each race but at this point im doing it to live a dream. I'm trying to find sponsors to help with flights and entries etc. But i will spend my last dollar to do the whole series and achieve my goals I could never afford to go to Loretta's, or to live at a facility or anything like that so maybe i'm bias but it sucks that somebody like me who still spends all their money, that they earned at a 9 to 5, a job they earned from finishing school, will be extremely hard pressed to ever find support from outside their own bank account, but you'll still find me in the gym and riding and eating well and making sacrifices to race supercross and a kid on a 65 who by the time he's old enough to turn pro may not even want to race dirtbikes anymore is getting everything for free and manufacturers basically pay their parents to keep them out of school and on the road racing. Its sad that its like that but you cant change it and its just going to get worse. Its going to be unlikely you ever see a kid not do Loretta's or gp's get a great ride because everybody praises Loretta's but there is talent outside Loretta's probably better then half the kids there who just cant afford everything involved to race Lorettas.......
Just my 2 cents from a privateer supercross racer

I guess to relate this to jerrys situation he isnt going to get support because he didnt perform at lorettas(even though he did pretty well) and there are plenty more racers who are likeable, talented and have potential but not resources to continue racing... what kind of idea does that send to a kid wanting to make it but knows that his family is not financially able to go farther then the local track. Not to inspiring for families looking to get into the sport.....

How he's still living at sob, but cant buy a bike, is a different story
500guy wrote:
it's just a Natural progression, You say it ruined the Sport and I say We have some of the best Professional racing ever. Nothing stopping someone...
it's just a Natural progression, You say it ruined the Sport and I say We have some of the best Professional racing ever.

Nothing stopping someone from starting a more affordable series.
Racing was pretty damm good in the 1980s too. There was a time when riders could make a living racing local pro races. There is a huge leap from local AM to National AM to Pro. If you do not think the cost of racing is not going to be a threat to the sport in future, you are delusional.

In fact I will state the cost of racing and injuries are the biggest threat to the sport.
TD248
Fantasy
459th
9/20/2014 7:19pm
TD248 wrote:
Loretta's is a great event don't get me wrong but as the event grew, i think it ruined the sport. The days of showing up to...
Loretta's is a great event don't get me wrong but as the event grew, i think it ruined the sport. The days of showing up to your first pro race unheard of and making a name for yourself as a pro ended. AC signed his pro contract when he was on 80's, its ridiculous. I turned pro this year for sx i could only afford to go to two rounds raced a bone stock bike and qualified for the heats. This year im going to try and race all east coast sx while working during the week while gus takes my bikes to each race but at this point im doing it to live a dream. I'm trying to find sponsors to help with flights and entries etc. But i will spend my last dollar to do the whole series and achieve my goals I could never afford to go to Loretta's, or to live at a facility or anything like that so maybe i'm bias but it sucks that somebody like me who still spends all their money, that they earned at a 9 to 5, a job they earned from finishing school, will be extremely hard pressed to ever find support from outside their own bank account, but you'll still find me in the gym and riding and eating well and making sacrifices to race supercross and a kid on a 65 who by the time he's old enough to turn pro may not even want to race dirtbikes anymore is getting everything for free and manufacturers basically pay their parents to keep them out of school and on the road racing. Its sad that its like that but you cant change it and its just going to get worse. Its going to be unlikely you ever see a kid not do Loretta's or gp's get a great ride because everybody praises Loretta's but there is talent outside Loretta's probably better then half the kids there who just cant afford everything involved to race Lorettas.......

I guess to relate this to jerrys situation he isnt going to get support because he didnt perform at lorettas(even though he did pretty well) and there are plenty more racers who are likeable, talented and have potential but not resources to continue racing... what kind of idea does that send to a kid wanting to make it but knows that his family is not financially able to go farther then the local track. Not to inspiring for families looking to get into the sport.....

500guy wrote:
it's just a Natural progression, You say it ruined the Sport and I say We have some of the best Professional racing ever. Nothing stopping someone...
it's just a Natural progression, You say it ruined the Sport and I say We have some of the best Professional racing ever.

bd wrote:
Racing was pretty damm good in the 1980s too. There was a time when riders could make a living racing local pro races. There is a...
Racing was pretty damm good in the 1980s too. There was a time when riders could make a living racing local pro races. There is a huge leap from local AM to National AM to Pro. If you do not think the cost of racing is not going to be a threat to the sport in future, you are delusional.

In fact I will state the cost of racing and injuries are the biggest threat to the sport.
Completely agree bd, in the 80's nobody cared who you were until you had proven yourself in the pros, now for somebody to come into the pro ranks without a factory team guiding them, they are behind on bikes, money, resources, training/dieting basically everything it takes to be successful. The fact that you practically can NOT (never say never) make it in this sport without support like that will kill the sport. Its also to bad that once you have had a good ride or lorettas career, you pretty much locked in to a good ride for life. A rider like Izzi or Stroupe is 10x more likely to get a good ride then a privateer who had a breakout season the year before. Even a dude like peick had some support, he had a motoconcepts ride when he turned pro, I believe his "privateer story" is a bit over rated.
Grizz
9/20/2014 7:39pm
TD248 wrote:

This. Exactly this. I agree with everything you've said.
500guy
9/20/2014 8:29pm
We also had gas for 50 cents a gallon, the value of a dollar was way higher and the amount of taxes paid much less.

Everything is either killing the Sport or helping it. I wish you guy's would quit dreaming and acting like we can rewind the clock.

1980 is over

The Shop

bd
9/20/2014 9:22pm
500guy wrote:
We also had gas for 50 cents a gallon, the value of a dollar was way higher and the amount of taxes paid much less. Everything...
We also had gas for 50 cents a gallon, the value of a dollar was way higher and the amount of taxes paid much less.

Everything is either killing the Sport or helping it. I wish you guy's would quit dreaming and acting like we can rewind the clock.

1980 is over
And being in denial is not the answer. National Pro Supercross and Motocross should have exotic machines. Its part of the brand image - exotic, expensive, premiere. However, the national arena cross and national AM, thats a different story.

fins227
2/15/2016 5:56pm
Jerry was hauling ass at the Full Gas enduro this past weekend. It's looking like his future in off-road is a bright one! Good luck this year JR.
BobbyM
2/15/2016 9:17pm
500guy wrote:

bd wrote:
Racing was pretty damm good in the 1980s too. There was a time when riders could make a living racing local pro races. There is a...

TD248 wrote:
Completely agree bd, in the 80's nobody cared who you were until you had proven yourself in the pros, now for somebody to come into the...
Completely agree bd, in the 80's nobody cared who you were until you had proven yourself in the pros, now for somebody to come into the pro ranks without a factory team guiding them, they are behind on bikes, money, resources, training/dieting basically everything it takes to be successful. The fact that you practically can NOT (never say never) make it in this sport without support like that will kill the sport. Its also to bad that once you have had a good ride or lorettas career, you pretty much locked in to a good ride for life. A rider like Izzi or Stroupe is 10x more likely to get a good ride then a privateer who had a breakout season the year before. Even a dude like peick had some support, he had a motoconcepts ride when he turned pro, I believe his "privateer story" is a bit over rated.
Wes didn't have a MC ride when he turned pro. Where did you get that info?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/15/2016 11:59pm
BobbyM wrote:
Wes didn't have a MC ride when he turned pro. Where did you get that info?
He raced the 2009 opener at Glen Helen as a privateer and was picked up by MotoConcepts afterwards.
kiwifan
2/16/2016 12:06am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 12:06am
bd wrote:
And being in denial is not the answer. National Pro Supercross and Motocross should have exotic machines. Its part of the brand image - exotic, expensive...
And being in denial is not the answer. National Pro Supercross and Motocross should have exotic machines. Its part of the brand image - exotic, expensive, premiere. However, the national arena cross and national AM, thats a different story.

The problem with that is that one manufacturer can build very exotics bikes as they have big pockets, and all the top riders would gun for that team. Thats why Yamaha pushed for the production rule that all manufacturers agreed to. It puts the bikes at a more level playing field. Would exotic factory bikes be faster than the factory bikes now? Yes, but not by much I would think.
Insider347
2/16/2016 4:46am
500guy wrote:
I think the question has been answered, He could have raced B class again and choose to move up. The people buying bikes want titles not...
I think the question has been answered, He could have raced B class again and choose to move up.

The people buying bikes want titles not 5-10th in A class.

I know it sucks but it's the way the game is played. Good luck to Jerry what ever he chooses to do.
newmann wrote:
Yep, we'll sponsor a sandbagger but not a guy fighting it out in the fast class. Sounds ass backwards, but that's how the moto "industry" rolls.

mxb2 wrote:
Buy him some bikes then lol . how does a dude train at sob and not have $$ for a bike?
Gotta agree. I can't afford the new bike I have but I wanted to ride so I got it with not a cent down and $125 a month with no return on investment. At least Jerry can continue to chase his dream and most likely get support . I'm not saying to go in
debt buying new bikes every year but it's not difficult to get a bike and he has all the reason too. It's called investing in his future if he seriously wants to continue climbing the ladder.
NotCore
2/16/2016 5:47am
bd wrote:
And being in denial is not the answer. National Pro Supercross and Motocross should have exotic machines. Its part of the brand image - exotic, expensive...

kiwifan wrote:
The problem with that is that one manufacturer can build very exotics bikes as they have big pockets, and all the top riders would gun for...
The problem with that is that one manufacturer can build very exotics bikes as they have big pockets, and all the top riders would gun for that team. Thats why Yamaha pushed for the production rule that all manufacturers agreed to. It puts the bikes at a more level playing field. Would exotic factory bikes be faster than the factory bikes now? Yes, but not by much I would think.
What makes pro motocross interesting to me is the familiarity of the bikes, the similarity to what I ride, and what the pros can do with them. Without that, I am less interested. The production rules do little to stop creativity between the teams, but it keeps the fans engaged because the genesis of the bikes is similar to what th core of the sport rides.

For example, when nascar switched to spec racing cars, the passion and rivalries between the fans of the manufacturers went out the window. Many years ago, I would find myself rooting for a driver because of the brand they drove, not vice versa. Today, I have little interest in nascar.

I would be more interested in seeing what motocross can do with adding telemetry data to enhance the viewing experience.
Tpog496
2/16/2016 6:14am
fins227 wrote:
Jerry was hauling ass at the Full Gas enduro this past weekend. It's looking like his future in off-road is a bright one! Good luck this...
Jerry was hauling ass at the Full Gas enduro this past weekend. It's looking like his future in off-road is a bright one! Good luck this year JR.
Why is he not racing motocross?
woodSMITH29
2/16/2016 6:32am
fins227 wrote:
Jerry was hauling ass at the Full Gas enduro this past weekend. It's looking like his future in off-road is a bright one! Good luck this...
Tpog496 wrote:
Not sure, but he had comparible times with some of the factory guys a the sprint enduro. For anybody that doesnt appreciate what pace that consists of is fooling thereselves, Thad, Strang, Milner. Those guys are super fast. Granted the format was 10 minute sprints on a very open sand loop. Keep your eye on him here in a few weeks at the first few Gncc's. He's racing the XC1(450) class with the big boys, can he ride like that for 3 hours?
Roostermx58
2/16/2016 7:06am
Tpog496 wrote:
Most likely he got better support doing offroad than motocross and wanted to try something new. Turns out he is pretty good at offroad too and close to the top already!
ktm212
2/16/2016 7:13am
fins227 wrote:
Tpog496 wrote:
Not sure, but he had comparible times with some of the factory guys a the sprint enduro. For anybody that doesnt appreciate what pace that consists...
Not sure, but he had comparible times with some of the factory guys a the sprint enduro. For anybody that doesnt appreciate what pace that consists of is fooling thereselves, Thad, Strang, Milner. Those guys are super fast. Granted the format was 10 minute sprints on a very open sand loop. Keep your eye on him here in a few weeks at the first few Gncc's. He's racing the XC1(450) class with the big boys, can he ride like that for 3 hours?
Not taking anything away from the sprint enduros but that format and this particular track were very motocrosser friendly. Under 10 minute sprints over the same loops for 3 times a day for 2 days isn't what offroad racing is, especially since these new Full Gas enduros are the ISDE qualifiers (that makes ZERO sense). Jerry has a tougher time at the National Enduro last week with 4 10 mile pieces and 2 7.5 mile pieces, 7th in AA-expert and 27th overall. Not that thats a bad finish by any means but is a big contrast to what his results were like at the Full Gas.
grunkster
2/16/2016 8:50am
Why do you feel the sprints make "ZERO sense" as ISDE qualifiers? Are the special tests at ISDE not similar typically?
2/16/2016 8:52am
NotCore wrote:
What makes pro motocross interesting to me is the familiarity of the bikes, the similarity to what I ride, and what the pros can do with...
What makes pro motocross interesting to me is the familiarity of the bikes, the similarity to what I ride, and what the pros can do with them. Without that, I am less interested. The production rules do little to stop creativity between the teams, but it keeps the fans engaged because the genesis of the bikes is similar to what th core of the sport rides.

For example, when nascar switched to spec racing cars, the passion and rivalries between the fans of the manufacturers went out the window. Many years ago, I would find myself rooting for a driver because of the brand they drove, not vice versa. Today, I have little interest in nascar.

I would be more interested in seeing what motocross can do with adding telemetry data to enhance the viewing experience.
Just on telemetry.

Throttle positioning, MPH, front and rear brake pull sensors, brake rotor temps, clutch pull, gear display, bike and rider G sensors, suspension travel, bike lean angles, heart rates. There is sooooo much that can be tapped in to, even if it's only one or two of those things to start with. I would love to see two guys go down a straight away and see who brakes last, who rolls on the throttle, who dumps the clutch, who leans over farther for grip. It adds a visual number or display that the average joe can understand and compare with other riders on the track. Not just an observation and "well that was neat how he did that thing, however he did it."
woodSMITH29
2/16/2016 8:59am
Tpog496 wrote:
Not sure, but he had comparible times with some of the factory guys a the sprint enduro. For anybody that doesnt appreciate what pace that consists...
ktm212 wrote:
Not taking anything away from the sprint enduros but that format and this particular track were very motocrosser friendly. Under 10 minute sprints over the same...
Not taking anything away from the sprint enduros but that format and this particular track were very motocrosser friendly. Under 10 minute sprints over the same loops for 3 times a day for 2 days isn't what offroad racing is, especially since these new Full Gas enduros are the ISDE qualifiers (that makes ZERO sense). Jerry has a tougher time at the National Enduro last week with 4 10 mile pieces and 2 7.5 mile pieces, 7th in AA-expert and 27th overall. Not that thats a bad finish by any means but is a big contrast to what his results were like at the Full Gas.
I understand your point, thats why I said lets wait until the 3 hours to see. If he can crack the top 20 overall consistantly he will be doing great. And actually the Sprints being qualifiers for ISDE makes perfect sense considering the 6 day format is very similar. Only one is a qualifier and that is for the Club Team. The Trophy team is still picked.
kiwifan
2/16/2016 9:01am
NotCore wrote:
What makes pro motocross interesting to me is the familiarity of the bikes, the similarity to what I ride, and what the pros can do with...

100% agree with you
Tpog496
2/16/2016 9:04am
NotCore wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
100% agree with you
They did a lot of that at Xgames.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/16/2016 9:23am
kiwifan wrote:
The problem with that is that one manufacturer can build very exotics bikes as they have big pockets, and all the top riders would gun for...
The works bike thing is dead. This isn't the 1980's. MX is not a big enough sport or market segment for the manufacturers to justify dumping massive amounts of $$ and R&D into creating a few hand crafted works machines. Hell, some of the manufacturers have even stopped, suspended, or outsourced their factory teams (Suzuki and Yamaha recently). The ROI measured in numbers of bikes sold vs. money spent just isn't there. Case in point, even in the GP's where works bikes are allowed the manufacturers by and large use production based machines anyway.

And it's not like the lack of works bikes has stymied progression. People get all misty eyed and nostalgic about those awesome works bikes but the truth is that a stock 2002 CRF450 was 10x better than any works bike of the 1980's.

LungButter
2/16/2016 10:46am
ktm212 wrote:
Not taking anything away from the sprint enduros but that format and this particular track were very motocrosser friendly. Under 10 minute sprints over the same...
It actually makes TONS of sense. Winning/doing well at Six Days comes down to Sprint Speed. Rarely (with extreme mud being the exception) do the transfer sections even come in to play as far as results are concerned. Most the time at Six Days the guys easily make it to each check on time.

There is a reason that so many of the top Euro guys are former MXGP racers. Oh yeah, there is also that time that Everts stomped everyone in the sand of Brazil on a very stock WR450f. How about that moto guy that finally brought home the overall for US last year...sprint speed.

Six Days is about hauling ass for a short amount of time...just like the Sprint Enduro Series.
ktm212
2/16/2016 11:30am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 11:33am
I understand your point, thats why I said lets wait until the 3 hours to see. If he can crack the top 20 overall consistantly he...
I understand your point, thats why I said lets wait until the 3 hours to see. If he can crack the top 20 overall consistantly he will be doing great. And actually the Sprints being qualifiers for ISDE makes perfect sense considering the 6 day format is very similar. Only one is a qualifier and that is for the Club Team. The Trophy team is still picked.
absolutely, I like that he's riding offroad! I hope he continues to do well, he has a great story and its nice to see kids getting into offroad, I think stuff like the Jday format and sprint enduros are fantastic for the offroad world because it makes offroad exciting again. At the GNCCs and National enduros and harescrambles you see riders like 5 times a day for 30 seconds If youre lucky so its really cool and great for promotion that you can video it and see the guys and theyre always charging rather than pacing themselves for 3 hours.

My deal with the sprint enduros being the ISDE qualifiers is that over 2 days you ride roughly 1 hour. You do the same 2 tests 3 times a day then reverse it the next day. While that is great to see how the guys react to sprinting because alot of woods guys aren't the best sprinters the tests are the easy part of ISDE. The old qualifers were 2-day, 80+ mile days, most guys would tell you those qualifiers were some of the hardest races ever. The biggest part of the ISDE is lasting 6 days, riding over 100 miles a day. making your equipment last, your body last, the transfers are where the race is won and lost. Look at Kailub last year, look at the USA team basically any year, by day 4 1/3 or more of the team is out. Our trophy team has gotten better because of Euros coming and racing the GNCCs and elevating our series back in the 2000s and now they see the importance of sprints, motocross, speed, technicality.While the race is scored by the special tests, preparing these new motocross crossover racers that are taking the ofrroad world by storm to go ride 120 miles a day. they have to be gritty, tough, hands bleeding, ass sore, bike worn out on day 4. youre preparing them to ride 8 mins as hard as they can. but theyre on the bikes 8 hours a day.
ktm212
2/16/2016 11:46am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 11:47am
LungButter wrote:
It actually makes TONS of sense. Winning/doing well at Six Days comes down to Sprint Speed. Rarely (with extreme mud being the exception) do the transfer...
It actually makes TONS of sense. Winning/doing well at Six Days comes down to Sprint Speed. Rarely (with extreme mud being the exception) do the transfer sections even come in to play as far as results are concerned. Most the time at Six Days the guys easily make it to each check on time.

There is a reason that so many of the top Euro guys are former MXGP racers. Oh yeah, there is also that time that Everts stomped everyone in the sand of Brazil on a very stock WR450f. How about that moto guy that finally brought home the overall for US last year...sprint speed.

Six Days is about hauling ass for a short amount of time...just like the Sprint Enduro Series.
Last year kailub Russell destroyed his bike in a transfer piece and was forced to DNF so that isn't important? team france lost the ISDE last year because of poor arrowing, getting lost, and coming into a check from the wrong direction. Youre on the bike from sun up to sun down, you ride 100+ miles of transfer pieces a day, flat tires, bent pipes, bottle necks on hills, eating, drinking, body conservation over 6 grueling days of riding. While they may not be timed on those transfer pieces that's where the Club riders win and lose the race. Too much can go wrong over 6 days, putting that kind of milage on a bike and body and mind is where you have to have the experience, be tough, and push through.
LungButter
2/16/2016 11:48am
ktm212 wrote:
absolutely, I like that he's riding offroad! I hope he continues to do well, he has a great story and its nice to see kids getting...
absolutely, I like that he's riding offroad! I hope he continues to do well, he has a great story and its nice to see kids getting into offroad, I think stuff like the Jday format and sprint enduros are fantastic for the offroad world because it makes offroad exciting again. At the GNCCs and National enduros and harescrambles you see riders like 5 times a day for 30 seconds If youre lucky so its really cool and great for promotion that you can video it and see the guys and theyre always charging rather than pacing themselves for 3 hours.

My deal with the sprint enduros being the ISDE qualifiers is that over 2 days you ride roughly 1 hour. You do the same 2 tests 3 times a day then reverse it the next day. While that is great to see how the guys react to sprinting because alot of woods guys aren't the best sprinters the tests are the easy part of ISDE. The old qualifers were 2-day, 80+ mile days, most guys would tell you those qualifiers were some of the hardest races ever. The biggest part of the ISDE is lasting 6 days, riding over 100 miles a day. making your equipment last, your body last, the transfers are where the race is won and lost. Look at Kailub last year, look at the USA team basically any year, by day 4 1/3 or more of the team is out. Our trophy team has gotten better because of Euros coming and racing the GNCCs and elevating our series back in the 2000s and now they see the importance of sprints, motocross, speed, technicality.While the race is scored by the special tests, preparing these new motocross crossover racers that are taking the ofrroad world by storm to go ride 120 miles a day. they have to be gritty, tough, hands bleeding, ass sore, bike worn out on day 4. youre preparing them to ride 8 mins as hard as they can. but theyre on the bikes 8 hours a day.
It's easier to teach a fast guy to handle the transfer sections than a slow and steady guy in the transfer sections to go fast in the specials.

I think you're exaggerating the toughness of the transfer sections, especially in regard to modern days, maybe 15, 20, 30 years ago were they something to be feared, nowadays, most guys I talk to have no concern about the transfers.
ktm212
2/16/2016 11:58am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 11:59am
LungButter wrote:
It's easier to teach a fast guy to handle the transfer sections than a slow and steady guy in the transfer sections to go fast in...
It's easier to teach a fast guy to handle the transfer sections than a slow and steady guy in the transfer sections to go fast in the specials.

I think you're exaggerating the toughness of the transfer sections, especially in regard to modern days, maybe 15, 20, 30 years ago were they something to be feared, nowadays, most guys I talk to have no concern about the transfers.
100+ miles a day 5 days in a row on a bike is tough on your body physically and mentally as mell as your tires, brakes, clutch, whether its fields, jeep trail, or single track, I think you're underestimating the difficulty of the race in its entirety
LungButter
2/16/2016 1:28pm
ktm212 wrote:
100+ miles a day 5 days in a row on a bike is tough on your body physically and mentally as mell as your tires, brakes...
100+ miles a day 5 days in a row on a bike is tough on your body physically and mentally as mell as your tires, brakes, clutch, whether its fields, jeep trail, or single track, I think you're underestimating the difficulty of the race in its entirety
I have quite a few friends who have been (and finished) several times, as well as a family member who has been and finished 3 times, on a 125.

I'm pretty dang familiar to be honest. I remember well the days when the qualifiers were 2 days of hell. I went to most of them every year for the better part of a decade. I've qualified myself and not gone, twice (once due to injury and once by choice).

Most guys who are going to invest the time and money that it takes to go, are going to be pretty familiar with how "tough" it's going to be. Because, as you said, that many miles in that many days is tough, period. I'm just a fan of selecting guys based on sheer speed, it works out better for us in the results column.

Post a reply to: Jerry Robin

The Latest