Jeremy speaks...

mjskier
11/8/2010 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2010 6:49pm
Pourcel and Read got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. The economy is way down and the factories are hurting. I was just talking with the local track owner because I thought the track looked relatively busy. He said that it sucked. He only had 75 riders, down from 200+ a couple of years ago.

If you read DV12's blog, he was making more in boot deal than what some of the premier class riders now pull in as salaries.

So the factories are tying to get riders on the cheap. At the end of the day, it takes 2 parties to make a deal, and having been in this position (in a different industry) I don't see anything wrong with saying no if you don't like the terms that are being offered to you.

MC makes it sound like Reed should have taken the deal because he isn't going to get the same kind of equipment than the Honda boys are getting. Time will tell if he is right or if Honda is going to be hoping they had opened the wallet a bit more. One thing for sure, he just gave some incentive for Chad to beat Trey and Grant...

Sparkalounger
11/8/2010 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2010 6:58pm
mjskier wrote:
Pourcel and Read got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. The economy is way down and the factories are hurting. I was just...
Pourcel and Read got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. The economy is way down and the factories are hurting. I was just talking with the local track owner because I thought the track looked relatively busy. He said that it sucked. He only had 75 riders, down from 200+ a couple of years ago.

If you read DV12's blog, he was making more in boot deal than what some of the premier class riders now pull in as salaries.

So the factories are tying to get riders on the cheap. At the end of the day, it takes 2 parties to make a deal, and having been in this position (in a different industry) I don't see anything wrong with saying no if you don't like the terms that are being offered to you.

MC makes it sound like Reed should have taken the deal because he isn't going to get the same kind of equipment than the Honda boys are getting. Time will tell if he is right or if Honda is going to be hoping they had opened the wallet a bit more. One thing for sure, he just gave some incentive for Chad to beat Trey and Grant...

True, but at the same time if he wins he's still on a Honda only they don't have to pay him a big bonus...
mjskier
11/8/2010 6:55pm
True, but at the same time if he wins he's still on a Honda only they don't have to pay him a big bonus...
Good point.
That would reflect pretty badly on the factory team management though. Why have a factory team if you get beat by a bike somebody can just get off of the showroom...
If I'm in his shoes I start demanding bonuses to stop me from listing all the components I had to change to make the bike competitive :-)

The Shop

jmar
11/8/2010 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2010 7:02pm
you are busting on him for his JS comment. He was asked how he thought they would do, he said they were not going to dominate...

you are busting on him for his JS comment. He was asked how he thought they would do, he said they were not going to dominate like before and that he thought his record was safe.
How was that "not the subject matter" Jim?

I don't "fall in line", but at the same time am having a hard time seeing why you feel "disappointed" in him saying he thought his record was safe when asked how he thought JS would do this year....
That's something you will have to figure out on your own. I have my opinions, and everyone else should gather their own.

For me personally, I don't believe the question was. What do you think about JS beating your all time win record?
11/8/2010 7:03pm
I sure miss MC, thank God for Dungey and Canard........Poor old Pourcel can eat cheese and take a long flight over the pond while he thinks about the cash. Time for him to discount his asking price (Walmart does it all the time) and his likeability factor is low in the USA (oh he is misunderstood....... sorry! ......BS). Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product. Pourcel falls way short in this aspect of his pro career. Life is short and so is the life span of a pro mx rider......
Sparkalounger
11/8/2010 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2010 7:16pm
you are busting on him for his JS comment. He was asked how he thought they would do, he said they were not going to dominate...

you are busting on him for his JS comment. He was asked how he thought they would do, he said they were not going to dominate like before and that he thought his record was safe.
How was that "not the subject matter" Jim?

I don't "fall in line", but at the same time am having a hard time seeing why you feel "disappointed" in him saying he thought his record was safe when asked how he thought JS would do this year....
jmar wrote:
That's something you will have to figure out on your own. I have my opinions, and everyone else should gather their own. For me personally, I...
That's something you will have to figure out on your own. I have my opinions, and everyone else should gather their own.

For me personally, I don't believe the question was. What do you think about JS beating your all time win record?
thats fine i guess, i personally think it was well within the context of the question.
Now had he said "... and i guarantee you i bed way more chicks than he will ever dream of" i would admit that it would be straying from the question... Smile
MotoGuido
11/8/2010 7:09pm
I really like that MC didn't pull any punches. Too many sugar coated speeches these days from guys like Dungey. Ok yeah he's polite but I don't care to listen to an interview with the guy if he isn't gonna say ANYTHING. It's his decision but it is pointless and boring.

As for what MC said about Dungey... Yes Reed and Stewart probably wont blow the guy away.. but look what happened to Jeff Emig in 98 when MC came back after after his weird 97 season.
Sparkalounger
11/8/2010 7:10pm
Wadded_Up wrote:
I sure miss MC, thank God for Dungey and Canard........Poor old Pourcel can eat cheese and take a long flight over the pond while he thinks...
I sure miss MC, thank God for Dungey and Canard........Poor old Pourcel can eat cheese and take a long flight over the pond while he thinks about the cash. Time for him to discount his asking price (Walmart does it all the time) and his likeability factor is low in the USA (oh he is misunderstood....... sorry! ......BS). Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product. Pourcel falls way short in this aspect of his pro career. Life is short and so is the life span of a pro mx rider......
"Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product. Pourcel falls way short in this aspect of his pro career. Life is short and so is the life span of a pro mx rider......"

That's a great way to describe why being an "introvert" might not be the best way market yourself.
perumx
11/8/2010 7:26pm
Beautiful riding
jmar
11/8/2010 7:26pm
Wadded_Up wrote:
I sure miss MC, thank God for Dungey and Canard........Poor old Pourcel can eat cheese and take a long flight over the pond while he thinks...
"Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product...
"Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product. Pourcel falls way short in this aspect of his pro career. Life is short and so is the life span of a pro mx rider......"

That's a great way to describe why being an "introvert" might not be the best way market yourself.
"Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product. Pourcel falls way short in this aspect of his pro career.

I agree with this, other than you feel that those of us here on motoboards, are the target demographic. I know that some are not going to like this, but it those who fill the seats at a supercross event, that the sponsors are targeting. The majority of those who fill the seats are not involved in the sport on a day to day basis like those of us on these boards. It's the same people that attend free style events and monster truck races, or just want to suck down a few eight dollar beers and be entertained.

People like us are really a very tiny dot on the demographic maps, when it comes to those who are paying the bills.
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
11/8/2010 7:28pm
MC speaking his mind... He can now... He is not racing every weekend. It don't matter who he pisses off... He gets to help develop the race bikes for Honda and go race his trucks.

Stewart/Reed Show... its over... As of right now... You have 4 guys that are going to battle for the win every Saturday night during the SX season... Stewart, Reed, Dungey, and Villopoto... You have Windham that could snick in a win along with Grant and Milsaps. And you know they will always be a threat to the podium along with Canard, Tedesco, Short and maybe Pourcel if he has a ride for next year. And Pourcel is the real unknown what he can do if he is racing... If racing... I would add one more and make it 5 battling for the win every Saturday night.

BUT! If they all stay healthy. For the ones that are saying that one rider is going to dominate the season, if everyone is healthy... They are blowing sunshine up their own ass to make themselves feel better.
Sparkalounger
11/8/2010 7:38pm
Wadded_Up wrote:
"Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product...

jmar wrote:
[i]"Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product...
"Its not up to the paying customers to try to like a rider, its their job to make them (us) like them, thus sell a product. Pourcel falls way short in this aspect of his pro career.

I agree with this, other than you feel that those of us here on motoboards, are the target demographic. I know that some are not going to like this, but it those who fill the seats at a supercross event, that the sponsors are targeting. The majority of those who fill the seats are not involved in the sport on a day to day basis like those of us on these boards. It's the same people that attend free style events and monster truck races, or just want to suck down a few eight dollar beers and be entertained.

People like us are really a very tiny dot on the demographic maps, when it comes to those who are paying the bills.
"other than you feel that those of us here on motoboards, are the target demographic"

I really know what you mean, sometimes i feel the media gives the few motoboard jockeys way too much credit. What is there, like 200 of us between 3 or 4 boards that post with any regularity... hardly seems like something to even take into consideration.
sozo
11/8/2010 8:07pm
wow...
Cook441
11/8/2010 8:11pm
captmoto wrote:
The way the vid was edited didn't let us in on the question leading up to his record statement. It would be intersting to see an...
The way the vid was edited didn't let us in on the question leading up to his record statement. It would be intersting to see an unedited vid. IMHO, Stewart won't be able to stay off the ground long enough to win 73 SX races.
cudby wrote:
The question was "How do you think Reed and Stewart will do this year?"
I am surprised you guys don't remeber this but James was interviewed last year maybe end of 09 coming into sx they asked about his goals and he said something to the effect that he was afteer MC's win record- he felt that if he could win 13 a year it would be done in 2012..or something like that- James painted a bulls eye on MC's records and so maybe that is why he responded to it-....anyone have a link- i know its out there somewhere- It was back when James could win 13 in a season..hence MC's reference to the different times
Sawblade
11/8/2010 8:12pm
Candid comments from a former Champ that you will not see from any current rider...
Billy Jack
11/8/2010 11:55pm
You know, Jeremy still poops like the rest of us.
FlaNard
11/9/2010 12:38am
Jeremy knows his shit. Plus, he is the baddest dude ever to rock a Supercross track. Rock on MC.
FlaNard
11/9/2010 1:25am
4mxonly wrote:
...the king has spoken.
jmar wrote:
And if the King told you to go jump off of a cliff? Jeremy gave his honest opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. Believe it or not...
And if the King told you to go jump off of a cliff?

Jeremy gave his honest opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Believe it or not, Kings can also be wrong.
Of course I wouldnt jump off a cliff cause Jeremy told me to. But when Jeremy is talking about the sport that he ran for years, and has the most wins and titles in, I tend to pay attention. His opinions means more then mine or yours for a reason. He's been there.
FlaNard
11/9/2010 1:30am
kong0036 wrote:
All we need to see now is Mr Cudby interview RC on this as well and his thoughts
jmar wrote:
Not that it matters, but hopefully he wouldn't disappoint me like MC did.

Disappointing one in a hundred is a good mark to shoot for. Cant please everyone all the time.
11/9/2010 1:32am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2010 1:40am
I don't blame Pourcel for holding out for more money. Who here wouldn't try and get every penny they could? Of course the flip side to that coin is knowing when to get realistic and take what's offered. But he's not hurting anyone by playing the game. It's up to him.

The problem with Pourcel for me (if I were a team manager) is that he's very much an unknown quantity. Now don't get me wrong, I think he'll be good on the 450 right away and will win races his first year (before he get's bored with it). But as good as he is... he's also probably the most unpredictable person in this sport.

He's quirky. French quirky and then some. He might win 2 or 3 races in a row and then sort of plod around the next race doing his own thing in 7th because, y'know, he just isn't in the mood or something. That is just the way he is, he doesn't give a fuck. He does his own thing and to hell with everyone else. He's the free spirited type.

On the other hand he may go out there and wax everyone, so... Like I said, unpredictable.
kong0036
11/9/2010 2:00am
Let's just see how dungey responds to a healthy RV JS and CR we all saw RV take 7 wins off him add James and Chad to that mix , we just might see RD the one under pressure and the one to crack. Last year he wasn't the one with the target now 2011 he will be the hunted ( j-law mind games might creep back into that head ) only time will tell
DPW
11/9/2010 3:35am
still the King...great vid....said some good stuff and poetry in motion
Sunhouse
11/9/2010 4:16am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2010 4:17am
I think Jeremy is wrong about JAmes. A healthy Stewart will play with everyone, including Dungey.

Stewart was about 2 seconds a lap faster at 100% than Dungey the last time they raced each other in SX. That combined with one hell of a determination and motivation he must have after taking so much undeserved flak from "fans".... This is going to get ugly!

I don´t disagree with MC on most of his comments, but I think he´s playing head games with JS to keep his own record. He has to remember that today the riders actually train. They don´t party at Lake Havasu in their spare time, and James´s competition doesn´t smoke weed on a regular basis (except for Jlaw, but he´s not a competing much anyway). Times have changed, but James has the field covered and he is the most likely rider to beat the record in the next 5 years

MC was the King, but he had his peak at the right time. There is no way he would have 72 SX wins if he raced during the "training era" of RC and JS.
motosmith
11/9/2010 4:27am
People forget how fast Stewart is on a SX track.
liter98
11/9/2010 4:46am
James has the ability to go as fast as he needs to...... he will step it up next year and win.
I want RV to win cuz he's my favorite rider..... but JS7 will be faster than ever.
MX4EVR
11/9/2010 4:54am
petegrath wrote:
Wow. Wish more riders would just friggin' say what they think like MC. No fan of Pourcel though, huh? Gave Reedy a bit of a lashing...
Wow. Wish more riders would just friggin' say what they think like MC.

No fan of Pourcel though, huh?

Gave Reedy a bit of a lashing too. Good stuff.
I did yesterday and the little ones in charge of this site moved my thread.
funny huh? times are tough here in the US and we have a couple cocky foreigners trying to demand top pay when the entire industry takes a huge pay cut.
Time to wake up, this next year will wake up a few.
adamdf
11/9/2010 5:18am
wow, out of all the retired riders, Jeremy seems to have the coolest life, lol....just testing for Honda (no pressure), and racing trucks for fun.....wow, he sure knows how to live, thats why they call him the KING..the guy is RAD

Post a reply to: Jeremy speaks...

The Latest