Jeremy McGrath and the Motocross of Nations

Eric_Johnson
ATKpilot99
7/5/2021 4:45pm
Why didn't he race it in 1995 ? He was the 250 national champion.
DPR250R
7/5/2021 5:05pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Why didn't he race it in 1995 ? He was the 250 national champion.
Gives the same reason the current guys do when they don't go. Watch the vid of the race in the link…. I thought it was cool.
TXDirt
7/5/2021 6:48pm
I definitely think it’s time for Decoster to relinquish MXDN manager duties. Past time in fact.

Just my opinion.

We need to change things up.

The Shop

ATKpilot99
7/5/2021 6:51pm
TXDirt wrote:
I definitely think it’s time for Decoster to relinquish MXDN manager duties. Past time in fact.

Just my opinion.

I agree . No disrespect of course but it's time .
Yammyam
7/5/2021 7:05pm
TXDirt wrote:

Just my opinion.

Why? What is Decoster doing wrong? He's brought Team USA to victory many times, he knows how to do his job. It's easy to point the finger but I'm pretty sure it mostly comes down to the riders.

Decoster has earned the right to manage the team as long as he wants, and hopefully Ricky will take over after.
Yammyam
7/5/2021 7:37pm
You assume the riders aren't trying as hard as they can under Roger? Would having Bubba as the team manager really make them more motivated? Personally I doubt it, I think having someone who has brought the team to victory so many times before is probably the best thing for the riders confidence.
Johnny Ringo
7/5/2021 7:50pm
Mitch Payton needs to manage the team, until then we will not win. Roger's time has come and gone, it's over.

Highflier
7/5/2021 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2021 7:58pm
Don’t kid yourselves, sub 25 yo’s may know who he was, but most have no clue his unbelievable talent and dominance.

Listening to interviews, pod’s etc, most riders of today can list all the social media influencers, cool tic toks, instabangers, etc for days, but have little clue who was a top 5 pro even 10 years ago.
Much less all time greats.

Unlike stick and ball sports, moto has always been what have you done for me lately.

It’s the world we live in.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
7/5/2021 8:05pm
I don’t understand some of you. More often than not we’ve sent 3 of our top 5 riders from the USA. I don’t see why it’s so hard to understand that the rest of the world has caught us at riding dirt bikes.

Maybe just be happy that we have 20 really fast guys rather than 1 to 3 like most other countries.
b_kowalsk
7/5/2021 8:56pm
Unpopular opinion. I don't think Motocross des Nations should be held every year. Does anybody else feel as though the race would carry more weight if it was every other year? Would make it less of an 'obligation' and more special.
Up Wind
7/5/2021 9:59pm
Mitch Payton needs to manage the team, until then we will not win. Roger's time has come and gone, it's over.

I think RD has been good. Pretty sure he consults and includes most of the Teams. I appreciate his efforts, but maybe him, Mitch, Brad H and Kehoe could alternate years.
FlaNard
7/5/2021 10:44pm
I think MC nailed it honestly. The GP’s have so many great guys these days that it’s less the pressure on the riders to win and more a fear of the competition. The pressure on Team USA has to be significantly less these days after so many years of being beat. A podium was as good as a loss to fans here for a long, long time. I think we’d be beyond pumped to get on the box and at least mix it up. I really thought Red Bud was our year and it wasn’t even competitive. How these guys would feel pressure to win at this point is beyond me.
chump6784
7/5/2021 11:13pm
It doesn't matter who the USA send or who the team manager is, the Euro guys ride MX all year round. In the US, outdoors fills in the time between Supercross series. Might not be the popular opinion but to the industry in the US that's the truth. I'm sure the riders that are picked are stoked to repressent their country and try their hardest but the Euro's have caught and passed the US riders on MX tracks.
If there was an SX des nations I don't think there would be any doubt who the champions would be
CPR
7/6/2021 3:13am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2021 3:14am
chump6784 wrote:
It doesn't matter who the USA send or who the team manager is, the Euro guys ride MX all year round. In the US, outdoors fills...
It doesn't matter who the USA send or who the team manager is, the Euro guys ride MX all year round. In the US, outdoors fills in the time between Supercross series. Might not be the popular opinion but to the industry in the US that's the truth. I'm sure the riders that are picked are stoked to repressent their country and try their hardest but the Euro's have caught and passed the US riders on MX tracks.
If there was an SX des nations I don't think there would be any doubt who the champions would be
While it sounds obvious that the US would be SXdN champions every year, if there was one, some years past would have been very interesting!
McG194
7/6/2021 5:22am
TXDirt wrote:

Just my opinion.

That brings up an interesting question that applies in all sports. Do you let the legends say goodbye on their own terms or do you tell them when it's time to go.

Personally I tend to go with letting them go out on their own, but from what I understand Ian Harrison is doing a lot of the heavy lifting at KTM so with that logic Roger could use help at MXdN. Eventually he could be just a figurehead that we give our due respect to.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
7/6/2021 6:59am
Roger D and his contributions to motocross in general and American MXDN teams in particular is overwhelming.
AND
there should be a transition plan to the next leader for the American team efforts

Ideally someone like MC who had enthusiasm for American attendance in MXDN, and someone who would have a multi-year (like decade) commitment to growing the race standing in the rider's, team's, fan's and manufacturer's eyes.
Someone Roger feels is the best person to carry the torch for the next generation.

Dumping Roger and filling in with whoever is willing today to chair a team today is a wrong move.
kpiper
7/6/2021 8:03am
1) You move Roger to the ceremonial leader of the team. He should stay and go to the event as long as he wants to.

2) You bring in someone like MC or Ricky to lead the day-to-day efforts and recruiting.

It would definitely fire up the riders in many ways. This is pretty much what KTM has done with Roger now.
TXDirt
7/6/2021 9:52am
TXDirt wrote:

Just my opinion.

ATKpilot99 wrote:
I agree . No disrespect of course but it's time .
Agree. Roger has been great and is an icon. But it’s time for fresh blood now. Doesn’t at all mean Roger has done anything wrong. He’s helmed the MXDN team to many victories.

It’s time for a fresh set of eyes and new leadership for the MXDn team.

In this case, change for the sake of change is needed.

I’m good with McGrath, Dungey, or RC.
Johnny Ringo
7/6/2021 10:11am
Anyone know what Rogers overall record is as manager of team USA? Does he even have a winning record?
yota
7/6/2021 1:09pm
kpiper wrote:
1) You move Roger to the ceremonial leader of the team. He should stay and go to the event as long as he wants to. 2)...
1) You move Roger to the ceremonial leader of the team. He should stay and go to the event as long as he wants to.

2) You bring in someone like MC or Ricky to lead the day-to-day efforts and recruiting.

It would definitely fire up the riders in many ways. This is pretty much what KTM has done with Roger now.
this.
TeamGreen
7/6/2021 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2021 1:37pm
kpiper wrote:
1) You move Roger to the ceremonial leader of the team. He should stay and go to the event as long as he wants to. 2)...

yota wrote:
this.
You bring Jeremy in while Roger’s still around and you let -them- figure out a reasonable transition.
Period.

I ain’t got no fathomable reason to throw Roger under the Gawt Damn Bus. Ever. Roger got us here. A little respect goes a long way.

That damn Johnny Ringo…he’s jus’ too hi-strung.

I’m jus’ knowin’…
DonM
7/6/2021 2:54pm
Anyone know what Rogers overall record is as manager of team USA? Does he even have a winning record?
He’s just the winningest team manager in MXDN history…
Johnny Ringo
7/6/2021 4:34pm
DonM wrote:
He’s also got the most losses of any USA manager, 14 by my count and the last 8 in a row. Time for a change.
rhargrave431
7/6/2021 4:44pm
I think that until we start riding as a team, pitting as a team, and being a team, it won't matter who we send. I'd like to wonder what the real reason is that they kicked Mitch out, because since he has been gone, we haven't won
DonM
7/6/2021 4:58pm
DonM wrote:
He’s also got the most losses of any USA manager, 14 by my count and the last 8 in a row. Time for a change.
Hahaha!!! That’s your argument….31yrs as team manager 22 wins nobody in history even comes close from any country…ever…its not him its the riders a new team manager wouldn’t change a thing…
GabeM
7/6/2021 5:44pm
DonM wrote:
DonM wrote:
Hahaha!!! That’s your argument….31yrs as team manager 22 wins nobody in history even comes close from any country…ever…its not him its the riders a new team...
Hahaha!!! That’s your argument….31yrs as team manager 22 wins nobody in history even comes close from any country…ever…its not him its the riders a new team manager wouldn’t change a thing…
Yeah, for sure, Our riders are losing here on our own turf, how can we expect them to beat stiffer competition of Euros on theirs. We just don’t have the MX mojo anymore. Mx is a second thought and lesser priority than SX and the results should be expected

Post a reply to: Jeremy McGrath and the Motocross of Nations

The Latest