Jeremy McGrath, Powder Mountain MX

Utrider
Fantasy
1528th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:14am
Picture this, a beautiful mountain setting, the King, a natural terrain track with a couple of well placed jumps. Doesn't begin to do it justice, but alas, if you couldn't be there I hope you were at Southwick.

Jeremy did not disappoint, Ping was there along with Michael Sleeter and Victor Sheldon. They all seemed to be having a great time. Somewhat local (from Idaho) fast guy Cole Siebler was the only guy to keep Jeremy in his sights and actually passed him in the 2, 450 Pro Mains. McGrath seemed to play with most of the Pros during practice and the races, the nac nacs were flying off the finish line jump.

The course used a unique start, that looped back across itself, the hillside it went up what was claimed to be a 30% hill, then dropped back down the hill and crossed the start straight. Down the main straight, over the first step-up-step-down, then to the infamous "Rich Cain Memorial Single to Table" (not the actual name just wanted to throw that in there just in case anyone doubted my street cred with the low post count). The course wound its way down the mountain to a beautiful bowl turn, where the competitors began their climb back to the top. A step up over a rise greets the riders as an opportunity to act like a rock skipping across the terrain. As the riders come back into view, they really start their charge up the mountain, the course winds up the hill (picture 30 foot wide switchbacks) and for the pros turned back on to the start hill. The intermediates and novices turn back on to the main straight.

The soil while beautiful to look at is in actuallity treacherous. Dark and loamy in appearance the reality is it is silty soft powder, with a generous helping of baseball to softball sized rocks thown in just to keep you on your toes. Large holes and square edged traps developed as well as a generous helping of braking bumps and ruts. The hauled in soil for the large man made jumps held up well, the natural stuff not so much. The track crew had its hands full keeping water on the soft terrain, and did an admirable job.

I heard there were over 600 entries, many in multiple classes. There were several life flights out of the area, Gregg Godfrey went down hard on the main straight, and gave the crowd 2 thumbs up as he was hauled away.

This resort is at the end of a very steep canyon road, with grades in excess of 19%. My biggest fear was people coming out of there with the large rigs they have and losing their brakes. Those fears were realized as someone in a motorhome, towing a large trailer lost its brakes, rolled off the road a couple of times killing one and severely injuring 2 more. God speed to all those injured both on the course and the way home.

I will load some pics up as soon as I can, I have been up there since Thursday and have "life" to attend to.

Post on.

|
peelout719
8/31/2009 10:10am
right on man!

i was there all weekend, i actually was unable to race due to an ongoing broken leg (which i broke worse on sunday walking through the pits)... all around awesome weekend.

best of luck to all those who were injured and also to the families affected coming down the mountain.

my camera took a shit on me so i don't have any pics, other than these i took with my phone. my buddies, whom are brothers, scored 2nd and 3rd in Sunday's 450 Am races and scored these badass plaques. me? i scored some shots and numbers from a couple monster girls Smile

bogdan912
8/31/2009 10:13am
I have been to powder mountain several times snowboarding. When I first heard about this event I was thinking how people are going to get their rigs in and out of that place. Thats terrible news about the family leaving... godspeed.
Nealio
8/31/2009 10:16am
"Rich Cain Memorial Single to Table"

LOL
RG3
8/31/2009 10:22am
I posted this in the other Powder Mountain Thread...

Does Anyone know anything about the RV Accident? We fear the worst, as we have heard that Tanner Krahenbuhl (Who Raced, or was to race) is involved.

News Story:
http://www.standard.net/live/news/181689/

Any information is helpful, as we are worried about our rider. If you can post any updates on here, or email me directly at: cody@rg3suspension.com I'd appreciate it.

The Shop

SMITH201
8/31/2009 10:30am
Nealio wrote:
"Rich Cain Memorial Single to Table"

LOL
HAHAHHAHA, that is good stuff! Smile
8/31/2009 10:43am
peelout719 wrote:
right on man! i was there all weekend, i actually was unable to race due to an ongoing broken leg (which i broke worse on sunday...
right on man!

i was there all weekend, i actually was unable to race due to an ongoing broken leg (which i broke worse on sunday walking through the pits)... all around awesome weekend.

best of luck to all those who were injured and also to the families affected coming down the mountain.

my camera took a shit on me so i don't have any pics, other than these i took with my phone. my buddies, whom are brothers, scored 2nd and 3rd in Sunday's 450 Am races and scored these badass plaques. me? i scored some shots and numbers from a couple monster girls Smile

Love the Monster energy girls!
peelout719
8/31/2009 11:19am
someone posted in the other thread that it was indeed Tanner that passed in the accident
bogdan912
8/31/2009 11:21am
In the comments from the news article, someone posted with the last name of Krahenbuhl saying their nephew was killed. He was 16. RIP.
moto44
8/31/2009 11:51am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:53am
peelout719 wrote:
right on man! i was there all weekend, i actually was unable to race due to an ongoing broken leg (which i broke worse on sunday...
right on man!

Gary you are such a pimp! Good to see you this past weekend. Let me know when that leg is healed so we can go ride! Smile
peelout719
8/31/2009 1:35pm
midgets are totally hot. especially standing next to 6'2" lurfy goons.

ps... moto44, i'm trying for the life of me to figure out who you are. help me out here

Post a reply to: Jeremy McGrath, Powder Mountain MX

The Latest