Jeremy Martin heat race interview

I thought it was pretty weird that Jeremy Martin mention Honda not once, but twice during his heat race interview. Even after being set up to talk about his new team, he talked about Geico Honda before his current team. Strange. I know his last stint at Star Racing didn’t end well. I wonder if thing are going south already. Keep in mind, this all went down prior to his injury last night.
|
Justin_P
Fantasy
4041st
2/21/2021 7:18am
They kept him on the entire time he was injured and I imagine he is still pretty appreciative of that. Sounded more to me like given the opportunity to bash his former team he showed them respect before going on to thank his current team. Just my take on it.
yz133rider
2/21/2021 7:38am
I’ve always took Jeremy as one who doesn’t play to the politically correct aspect of not mentioning former teams, or playing that game. He gives honest replies and says what he actually feels.
Crossup
2/21/2021 7:56am
yz133rider wrote:
I’ve always took Jeremy as one who doesn’t play to the politically correct aspect of not mentioning former teams, or playing that game. He gives honest...
I’ve always took Jeremy as one who doesn’t play to the politically correct aspect of not mentioning former teams, or playing that game. He gives honest replies and says what he actually feels.
Agreed. But the question from Daniel was... "Is this the package you were looking for to get this job done." That would be a direct reference to the Star racing Yamaha that he's on. J-Mart... "I like the way the blue machine looks, but last year I had a great package with Factory Connection and Geico Honda..." You decide if it was a great idea to reference a competitor on some rare TV interview time.

The Shop

toroP
2/21/2021 8:00am
Crossup wrote:
Agreed. But the question from Daniel was... [i]"Is this the package you were looking for to get this job done."[/i] That would be a direct reference...
Agreed. But the question from Daniel was... "Is this the package you were looking for to get this job done." That would be a direct reference to the Star racing Yamaha that he's on. J-Mart... "I like the way the blue machine looks, but last year I had a great package with Factory Connection and Geico Honda..." You decide if it was a great idea to reference a competitor on some rare TV interview time.
Yikes
2/21/2021 8:08am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2021 8:16am
yz133rider wrote:
I’ve always took Jeremy as one who doesn’t play to the politically correct aspect of not mentioning former teams, or playing that game. He gives honest...
Maybe so, but if I’m paying a guy hundreds of thousands of dollars to represent my brand and help me sell my motorcycles, I’m not going to be too pumped after listening to him talk up my competitor on the podium. I can’t believe a guy that has been around as long as Martin could really be dumb enough to do that accidentally. That’s why I wonder if there’s something going on behind the scenes.
AH387
2/21/2021 8:19am
Jmart has gushed over the new team/bike plenty of times. There plenty of vids out there, like MXAs most recent one, talking up the Star team. But I took that interview just as his way to say thanks to Honda. And keep in mind, he wants a 450 ride, so im sure he wants to keep his options open.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
2/21/2021 8:22am
yz133rider wrote:
Maybe so, but if I’m paying a guy hundreds of thousands of dollars to represent my brand and help me sell my motorcycles, I’m not going...
Maybe so, but if I’m paying a guy hundreds of thousands of dollars to represent my brand and help me sell my motorcycles, I’m not going to be too pumped after listening to him talk up my competitor on the podium. I can’t believe a guy that has been around as long as Martin could really be dumb enough to do that accidentally. That’s why I wonder if there’s something going on behind the scenes.
Technically, that competitor doesn't exist anymore. He specifically thanked Ziggy and the team, not Honda themselves. I thought it was very classy and respectful.
2/21/2021 8:27am
She set him up to shit on his old brand and team and he didn’t take the bait. Nothing more to see here.
They set him up to talk up his new bike and team. Her question didn’t have anything to do with his old team.
H4L
2/21/2021 8:28am
Justin_P wrote:
They kept him on the entire time he was injured and I imagine he is still pretty appreciative of that. Sounded more to me like given...
They kept him on the entire time he was injured and I imagine he is still pretty appreciative of that. Sounded more to me like given the opportunity to bash his former team he showed them respect before going on to thank his current team. Just my take on it.
Agree. The guy is a class act & tells it like it is. I know a lot on here believe the blue 250 bikes are superior to the red ones.
It was good to see someone who has ridden both give an honest answer.
yz133rider
2/21/2021 8:31am
She set him up to shit on his old brand and team and he didn’t take the bait. Nothing more to see here.
They set him up to talk up his new bike and team. Her question didn’t have anything to do with his old team.
Not entirely true, if he answered YESSS THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED, FINALLY I HAVE WHAT IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR.

It would cast a negative tone to his previous bike by comparison.

He thanks his current team several times, and thanked his prior team.

He is a genuinely good guy and comes across as such, but we are so pc now that him calling things honestly is controversial somehow lol
86honda
2/21/2021 10:57am
Honda or not he got a bad start and bad stuff happens in the mid pack
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
2/21/2021 11:38am
yz133rider wrote:
Not entirely true, if he answered YESSS THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED, FINALLY I HAVE WHAT IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR. It would cast a negative tone...
Not entirely true, if he answered YESSS THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED, FINALLY I HAVE WHAT IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR.

It would cast a negative tone to his previous bike by comparison.

He thanks his current team several times, and thanked his prior team.

He is a genuinely good guy and comes across as such, but we are so pc now that him calling things honestly is controversial somehow lol
Well said. He did a great job of not putting down the package he had last year and also saying his current package is great.
bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
2/21/2021 11:58am
It’s great. He can’t stand his team either. He just wants the bike
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
2/21/2021 12:41pm
yz133rider wrote:
Maybe so, but if I’m paying a guy hundreds of thousands of dollars to represent my brand and help me sell my motorcycles, I’m not going...
He also gave Star Yamaha free promotion before they paid him anything. Last year in several interviews he mentioned that their bikes were superior. You think they are going to complain about this one?
ShawdowGlen
2/21/2021 12:43pm
MudPup545 wrote:
I call that not burning bridges.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

It's a lost art these days.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/22/2021 4:07pm
You don't burn bridges, but you also don't hint that your old machine is anything close to your current one. The best response would have been:

"This is the best package I can imagine. I loved my old bike and team [don't mention them by name,] but this new Monster Energy Star Racing Yamaha is unbelievable."

What he is quoted saying above sounds almost like, "I wish I was still on a red bike. Don't buy a Yamaha unless you only care about looks."
BS12
2/22/2021 4:29pm
You could also look at it from the angle that this is his first major interview/opportunity to thank his old team to a major live audience, since the switch. He will have many opportunities going forward to thank his current team.

Nothing to see here IMO, just a humble guy thanking his previous employer that stayed very loyal to him during his injured years.

Remember, this is the same guy that went and worked in a shop, cleaning and doing other house duties whilst off injured.

Post a reply to: Jeremy Martin heat race interview

The Latest