Jeffrey Herlings training in sand

jamma10
3/25/2016 6:24am
Stoop wrote:
Ken Roczen didnt win his first year in ama and he smoked Herlings
This line always gets wheeled out in a Herlings thread.

Musquin beat Roczen in 2009 and 2010 and who has been more successful in the US so far?

Young riders starting out in the 250 class tend to follow a similar route of development and it usually takes them a few seasons to reach their potential, be it in the US or MXGP. When Roczen beat Herlings in 2011 it was Roczens third season and Herlings second. They were both teenage phenoms, but they came through the ranks at slightly different times.
RG1
3/25/2016 7:03am
Flatliner wrote:
Yea, he's going to just stroll up to Millville in 90 degree temperatures and beat everybody. Right.
Glad you understand
RG1
3/25/2016 7:07am
Most people on here have absolutely no idea how good this kid is Grinning

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2231st
3/25/2016 7:13am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2016 7:15am
You guys can defend him riding mx2 for as long as KTM wants him to, but you the fans are the ones stuck watching paint dry at the front of every mx2 race.
NVA57
Fantasy
1560th
3/25/2016 7:13am
RG1 wrote:
Now they do

Race 2 - MX2/Open

1. Jeffrey Herlings (NED, KTM), 34:41.619;
2. Tanel Leok (EST, Suzuki), +0:58.141;
3. Ken de Dycker (BEL, KTM), +1:00.358;
4. Ken Roczen (GER, KTM), +1:48.464;
5. Davide Guarneri (ITA, KTM), +2:27.689;
6. Blake Baggett (USA, Kawasaki), -1 lap(s);
7. Marcus Schiffer (GER, Suzuki), -1 lap(s);
8. Todd Waters (AUS, Suzuki), -1 lap(s);
9. Max Anstie (GBR, Honda), -1 lap(s);
10. Xavier Boog (FRA, Kawasaki), -1 lap(s);

Has anyone ever lapped 6th place in an MXoN?
RG1
3/25/2016 7:20am
early wrote:
You guys can defend him riding mx2 for as long as KTM wants him to, but you the fans are the ones stuck watching paint dry...
You guys can defend him riding mx2 for as long as KTM wants him to, but you the fans are the ones stuck watching paint dry at the front of every mx2 race.
We don't care. We get to watch one of the best young riders ever, every weekend. It doesn't bother us, which is why it's so baffling that it bothers everyone else so much
3/25/2016 7:22am
Herlings and Roczen have a different mental makeup. Different guys are affected by new experiences in different ways
3/25/2016 7:32am
He's young. I wish he would have moved up but I get it.

How can a 21 year old sandbag a class that has an age limit of 23? Grinning

"That sandbagging 5 year old just won't stop winning the 4-6 shaft drive class!"
hammertime
3/25/2016 7:48am
"chasing the sandbagger" was a great vid. unreal talent! he's got that 250 dialed after 7 years as a pro!! go figure.
hammertime
3/25/2016 7:51am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2016 7:52am
these threads are so funny. you read just the titles....herlings, alessi, jlaw, stroupe, josh grant, izzi....and you just know before you open it that it's already gone to shitLaughingLaughing
NVA57
Fantasy
1560th
3/25/2016 8:25am
hammertime wrote:
these threads are so funny. you read just the titles....herlings, alessi, jlaw, stroupe, josh grant, izzi....and you just know before you open it that it's already...
these threads are so funny. you read just the titles....herlings, alessi, jlaw, stroupe, josh grant, izzi....and you just know before you open it that it's already gone to shitLaughingLaughing
It's because guys like you turn it into shit.
hammertime
3/25/2016 8:37am
hammertime wrote:
these threads are so funny. you read just the titles....herlings, alessi, jlaw, stroupe, josh grant, izzi....and you just know before you open it that it's already...
NVA57 wrote:
It's because guys like you turn it into shit.
Just doing what I do's on my shiny 22's!!
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
3/25/2016 8:43am
[embed] https://youtu.be/af9PRrJMtG8 [/embed] (Dutch) Interview with Herlings going into Valkenswaard. There is some talk about next year in there, he basically says that he can do...

(Dutch) Interview with Herlings going into Valkenswaard.

There is some talk about next year in there, he basically says that he can do another year of mx 2 but nothing is certain as of now. It's something he'll decide together with his team & sponsors as the year progresses.

I don't really care if he stays another year or moves up, but if he gets the title this year and keeps winning like this i'd say it's time to go to the mxgp class. I hope he races Southwick or Millvile this year, like it was planned he'd race Unadilla a few years ago! We also go the 2 USGP's so thats gonna be pretty hyped up to see some more competition against him.

Sandbagging or not, still impressive he is about to get his 50th GP win. I guess he is 2nd all time on the wins list ?
Not quite yet second.
Everts 101, Tony has something like 75 and then Smets. He will tie Joel Robert for 4th with 50 wins if I'm not mistaken.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
3/25/2016 8:55am
kzizok wrote:
What people think that he can't ride a big bike? The same people clammering for him to move to the big bike class? Your post is...
What people think that he can't ride a big bike? The same people clammering for him to move to the big bike class?

Your post is a classic conflict of terms.
Motofinne wrote:
Well if you actually take your time and read this thread you can spot some posts that alluding to that herlings could face a problem with...
Well if you actually take your time and read this thread you can spot some posts that alluding to that herlings could face a problem with a bigger bike.
I re-read the posts again. My original question was only solidified. My question was not about moving up a class and facing potential problems.

Still dont see one post about Herlings not being able to ride a "big" bike.
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/25/2016 8:57am
RG1 wrote:
We don't care. We get to watch one of the best young riders ever, every weekend. It doesn't bother us, which is why it's so baffling...
We don't care. We get to watch one of the best young riders ever, every weekend. It doesn't bother us, which is why it's so baffling that it bothers everyone else so much
He will be just as good and better to watch when he is racing the best riders in mxgp not the undercard. How is this so hard to understand?
RG1
3/25/2016 9:12am
early wrote:
He will be just as good and better to watch when he is racing the best riders in mxgp not the undercard. How is this so...
He will be just as good and better to watch when he is racing the best riders in mxgp not the undercard. How is this so hard to understand?
It's not hard to understand, we get it, we all know that it would be great to see him in MXGP, we would all like to see him there, but we don't really care that he isn't there right now, because he's going to be there soon. He has every right to ride a 250, and pretty much anyone who's actually seen him ride and knows how good he really is respects him and his decision. How hard is that to understand?
Trav138
3/25/2016 9:18am
RG1 wrote:
I agree
I can't wait until Charlotte, I want to see him live, his talent doesn't come around very often. Is he coming over for any AMA nats? I hope so, he most definitely could show up and win a national imo. Seems to me every time he rode the bigger bikes he kicked ass, so no reason for me to doubt he won't continue to win on a 350/450.
How long is he signed for currently?
Hope everyone stays healthy and some AMA guys show up for the US GP's.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
3/25/2016 9:55am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2016 9:57am
Motofinne wrote:
And to the people that think Herlings can't ride a big bike. This happened on a "shitty" 350 when he was 17 or 18 years old.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/24/129191/s1200_mxdn.jpg[/img]
And to the people that think Herlings can't ride a big bike. This happened on a "shitty" 350 when he was 17 or 18 years old.

Deetsmx wrote:
That was 5 years ago, even more proof that he is a sandbagger.
Jeffrey was only 15-16 at the time - beats a prime villipoto.... martin and webb were still sandbagging the amateurs at 15-16 years old whilst herlings...
Jeffrey was only 15-16 at the time - beats a prime villipoto.... martin and webb were still sandbagging the amateurs at 15-16 years old whilst herlings was winning gps and beating ryan villipoto at the des nations

hopefully we will see herlings race a couple of nationals this year, I think everyone else will be riding for 2nd place if he does regardless of the track. Wasn't there a rumour he was doing southwick?

I'm pretty sure herlings would have moved up if he'd won another title and not had all the serious injuries, hes even alluded to it this year- once he goes mx1 I think its game over for everyone else for the next 10 years or so. As talented as some of the mx1 guys are, herlings is next level- best rider in the world by a long way when fully fit.
Your post just makes Roczen look that much better, he handed JH his ass that year winning 19 moto wins to 5 including giving one away in the last round as he rode a 125 like a bad ass. Roczen even spotted JH 100cc and he could only beat him by a measly 3 seconds... Damn that Roczen is good Cool . Remember to add maybe best MX rider in your opinion as he certainly is not the best overall rider..
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
3/25/2016 10:06am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2016 10:08am
crusty_xx wrote:
Not quite yet second. Everts 101, Tony has something like 75 and then Smets. He will tie Joel Robert for 4th with 50 wins if I'm...
Not quite yet second.
Everts 101, Tony has something like 75 and then Smets. He will tie Joel Robert for 4th with 50 wins if I'm not mistaken.
It's a shame that some people might look at all his wins and consider him to be better than Decoster, Roberts, Hallman, Mikkola all men who were undisputed champions who could not wait for the next challenge... Yes he would tie the 6 time 250/450cc champion Robert with his next win this weekend for 4th all time and I think Smets has 57.
c0ncEpT
3/25/2016 10:14am
Jeffrey was only 15-16 at the time - beats a prime villipoto.... martin and webb were still sandbagging the amateurs at 15-16 years old whilst herlings...
Jeffrey was only 15-16 at the time - beats a prime villipoto.... martin and webb were still sandbagging the amateurs at 15-16 years old whilst herlings was winning gps and beating ryan villipoto at the des nations

hopefully we will see herlings race a couple of nationals this year, I think everyone else will be riding for 2nd place if he does regardless of the track. Wasn't there a rumour he was doing southwick?

I'm pretty sure herlings would have moved up if he'd won another title and not had all the serious injuries, hes even alluded to it this year- once he goes mx1 I think its game over for everyone else for the next 10 years or so. As talented as some of the mx1 guys are, herlings is next level- best rider in the world by a long way when fully fit.
You do know Villopoto started mid pack and charged within a second of Herlings. Herlings started 2nd and even lead that race for a few laps.

Not taking anything away from Herlings as he's a total stud on a motocross bike but I wouldn't be pounding my chest saying he beat Villopoto in his prime when he started at the front and Villopoto started mid pack and caught him.

Herlings has a very similar style to Villopoto and I think hes going to win a bunch of MX1 championships in the future.
3/25/2016 10:42am
Park Boys wrote:
It's a shame that some people might look at all his wins and consider him to be better than Decoster, Roberts, Hallman, Mikkola all men who...
It's a shame that some people might look at all his wins and consider him to be better than Decoster, Roberts, Hallman, Mikkola all men who were undisputed champions who could not wait for the next challenge... Yes he would tie the 6 time 250/450cc champion Robert with his next win this weekend for 4th all time and I think Smets has 57.
This is quite the quandary. A lot of people like to boast "all that matters is the record books" and it's true a good portion of people forget the details on the how, leaving just the what. If he stays in mx2 for 2017 as well and does good enough in mx1 to surpass all GP records will he be looked at as the GOAT of GP? Even if he isn't by the current fans it only takes a few generations until all those living now are but a distant memory. It will be viewed on a stat sheet by those who can only go by what they read. Based on that his legacy will be greater going the current route but will be tarnished in the eyes of those who know all the details. When rich, young and surrounded by people telling you how great you are such thoughts are unlikely to arise though.
3/25/2016 10:45am
Park Boys wrote:
It's a shame that some people might look at all his wins and consider him to be better than Decoster, Roberts, Hallman, Mikkola all men who...
yeah and dont forget they were in their 30 or more when they reached 50 wins , Herlings is 21 ... just a little sidemark
RG1
3/25/2016 10:52am

c0ncEpT wrote:
You do know Villopoto started mid pack and charged within a second of Herlings. Herlings started 2nd and even lead that race for a few laps...
You do know Villopoto started mid pack and charged within a second of Herlings. Herlings started 2nd and even lead that race for a few laps.

Not taking anything away from Herlings as he's a total stud on a motocross bike but I wouldn't be pounding my chest saying he beat Villopoto in his prime when he started at the front and Villopoto started mid pack and caught him.

Herlings has a very similar style to Villopoto and I think hes going to win a bunch of MX1 championships in the future.
RV was right behind Herlings from about half way in that moto, he spent the entire second half of the moto behind him and he couldn't make the pass. So it wasn't as if RV only caught him in the last couple of laps. Herlings beat him straight up
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
3/25/2016 10:55am
Park Boys wrote:
yeah and dont forget they were in their 30 or more when they reached 50 wins , Herlings is 21 ... just a little sidemark
Don't forget Hearlings gets to race a lot more races in a year, way more. Those legends also did there damage in the premier class as well.
RG1
3/25/2016 10:56am
Park Boys wrote:
Your post just makes Roczen look that much better, he handed JH his ass that year winning 19 moto wins to 5 including giving one away...
Your post just makes Roczen look that much better, he handed JH his ass that year winning 19 moto wins to 5 including giving one away in the last round as he rode a 125 like a bad ass. Roczen even spotted JH 100cc and he could only beat him by a measly 3 seconds... Damn that Roczen is good Cool . Remember to add maybe best MX rider in your opinion as he certainly is not the best overall rider..
Don't forget that Roczen had pretty much a whole season of experience on Herlings. If you look at how much Roczen improved from his second season to his third season, it was a huge jump, same with Herlings. Both of them won the title in their third season of GP's
early
Fantasy
2231st
3/25/2016 11:08am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2016 11:09am
I could see Jeffrey being the European JS7

Post a reply to: Jeffrey Herlings training in sand

The Latest