Jeffrey Herlings interview - injuries, MXoN and Prado

Related:
Create New Tag

7/1/2019 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2019 12:22 PM

Got to catch up with a friendly Jeffrey Herlings at Desertmartin yesterday and get his thoughts on a year of injury, winning with a broken ankle, Prado moving up as well as his hopes for the MXoN at Assen.

Although frustrated with his season, he was in really good form and signed as many autographs as he could all day for the Irish fans, sending a lot of people away happy that they got to meet their hero and current world champion.

Jeffrey Herlings interview

|

Gatedrop.com

SX King MC
World MX King Everts
US MX/SX Goat RC

7/1/2019 12:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2019 12:37 PM

Whats that? Jeffrey saying the MX2 class isn't quite as strong?

|

7/1/2019 1:26 PM

Good stuff! Asked all the questions I had for him! Thx

|

7/1/2019 1:46 PM

He could've gave Prado a little compliment...

|

7/1/2019 1:55 PM

theprizefighter wrote:

Interesting take from a guy that had his team bend the rules to stay down while making comments about not being satisfied if he didn't win with a minute plus.

|

7/1/2019 2:23 PM

theprizefighter wrote:

NVA57 wrote:

Interesting take from a guy that had his team bend the rules to stay down while making comments about not being satisfied if he didn't win with a minute plus.

This is such a stupid post. I know we all want to just say shit but Jesus

|

7/1/2019 2:25 PM

theprizefighter wrote:

”it’s not the competition that maybe we faced six or seven years ago with Roczen, Osborne, Paulin, Tommy Searle.”

Well it’s hard to argue that. Don’t try to twist this to something it isn’t.

|

7/1/2019 3:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2019 3:40 PM

theprizefighter wrote:

Finnish_Flash_62 wrote:

”it’s not the competition that maybe we faced six or seven years ago with Roczen, Osborne, Paulin, Tommy Searle.”

You left out his very next statement which says, "I think now the competition is weaker..."

I didn't twist anything, Herlings is saying the mx2 class isn't as strong currently.

|

7/1/2019 3:28 PM

I like Herlings but he could have given Prado some more credit. I suppose he did walk it back a bit but he basically said he's tiny and on the best bike against weaker competition than I (Herlings) faced. Also that 450's are harder for frail men but Marv makes it work so who knows.

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

7/1/2019 3:38 PM

FlaNard wrote:

I like Herlings but he could have given Prado some more credit. I suppose he did walk it back a bit but he basically said he's tiny and on the best bike against weaker competition than I (Herlings) faced. Also that 450's are harder for frail men but Marv makes it work so who knows.

Exactly what I meant with my post, but I got all thumbs down....He could've gave Prado a little compliment, but nope. Guess sitting on the sidelines the majority of the year has him grumpy

|

7/1/2019 4:14 PM

So this Hitachi KTM fueled by Milwaukee team....Is that Milwaukee power tools or do they just drink a lot of beer ?

|

7/1/2019 6:32 PM

Did prado bang his girlfriend? sounds like hes not a fan of his future successor.

|

7/1/2019 7:23 PM

My favorite thing he said was when he was talking about Tim Gajser.

"If I’d had the crashes Gajser has had this year I would probably be dead by now!" laughing

|

7/2/2019 12:42 AM

theprizefighter wrote:

NVA57 wrote:

Frère Jacques wrote:

There are tons of interviews of him around 2013-2014 where he kept saying he wanted to win with huge margins, else he would feel like he failed. The rule was also two titles = moving up and we all know how that went.

|

7/2/2019 12:47 AM

It’s mind games. He knows he will face Prado in the future so he is working on his mind early to make Prado doubt himself. It’s just herlings being Herlings. Never has been very good at just letting his riding do the talking.

|

7/2/2019 1:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2019 1:10 AM

NVA57 wrote:

Frère Jacques wrote:

NVA57 wrote:

There are tons of interviews of him around 2013-2014 where he kept saying he wanted to win with huge margins, else he would feel like he failed. The rule was also two titles = moving up and we all know how that went.

The rule was never 2 titles & move up, they changed the rules to force Herlings to move out of the class. He hadn’t aged out of the class so he was entitled to stay there, they didn’t want him dominating MX2 so YS changed it so he had to. He said he wanted 3 MX2 titles then he’d move up, he would’ve moved earlier if it wasn’t for his injuries.

|

7/2/2019 2:17 AM

theprizefighter wrote:

Finnish_Flash_62 wrote:

theprizefighter wrote:

You left out his very next statement which says, "I think now the competition is weaker..."

I didn't twist anything, Herlings is saying the mx2 class isn't as strong currently.

Well he’s not wrong.

|

7/2/2019 2:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2019 2:41 AM

Frère Jacques wrote:

NVA57 wrote:

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

The rule was never 2 titles & move up, they changed the rules to force Herlings to move out of the class. He hadn’t aged out of the class so he was entitled to stay there, they didn’t want him dominating MX2 so YS changed it so he had to. He said he wanted 3 MX2 titles then he’d move up, he would’ve moved earlier if it wasn’t for his injuries.

I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

|

7/2/2019 3:31 AM

Prado looked pretty darn good kicking ass at mxon. i hope he shows hearlings some roost next year!

|

7/2/2019 3:36 AM

2016 MX2
Photo

2013 MX2
Photo

Don't see there the deepest field ever. No Roczen, no Marv, no Paulin, no Osborne. Butron was 3rd in the championship and hardly gets a top 15 in mxgp.

Everyone knows top classes are more competitive than mx2.

Gajser had major injuries in the past, don't think the 'it's your year' story makes any justice to him in 2019 yet.

Just Herlings being Herlings. He doesn't need that but probably he's boring.

|

7/2/2019 3:42 AM

theprizefighter wrote:

The sceptic in me thinks your post hinted at Herlings sandbagging all those years in mx2.

|

7/2/2019 3:44 AM

Frère Jacques wrote:

NVA57 wrote:

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Didnt they change the rule to KEEP herlings in the class 1 more year? Thats how i remember it.

|

7/2/2019 3:45 AM

PastranaWho wrote:

Did prado bang his girlfriend? sounds like hes not a fan of his future successor.

Herlings is a great rider, but off track he doesnt come of as great.

He is the type of rider when at a home gp he doesn't think 'i love it that i can race in front of my fans'. He says 'it is great for my fans they can see me' (he actually said that).

|

7/2/2019 4:02 AM

NVA57 wrote:

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Sideways wrote:

Didnt they change the rule to KEEP herlings in the class 1 more year? Thats how i remember it.

I’m not 100% sure what I stated is true fact. I’m sure someone knows when the rule was enforced & why.

|

7/2/2019 5:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2019 5:15 AM

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Sideways wrote:

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

I’m not 100% sure what I stated is true fact. I’m sure someone knows when the rule was enforced & why.

I'm 99% sure the rule was 2 titles and move up and they changed it for KTM

This article from 2009 said they can defend their title once and then move up, looks like it was changed after this announcement...

https://motocrossactionmag.com/new-rule-world-championship-shocker-250-gp-riders-must-move-out-of-the-class-when-they-turn-23-but-they-can-start-at-15-plus-champs-get-booted/

“To achieve that goal it is necessary that the best and fastest riders move as soon as possible to the premier class. Staying too long in 250 (MX2) makes no sense, as it would block young talents, who have made their way to the top via the European EMX2 Championship. Therefore, a 250 (MX2) World Champion will be allowed to defend his title only one time (in the following year).

|

7/2/2019 5:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2019 5:09 AM

He must be. It's crazy to me that he actually won the second moto in Britain, that crash was no joke. He didn't even take a moment, he just instantly picked his bike up lol

|

7/2/2019 5:17 AM

RDX wrote:

2016 MX2
Photo

2013 MX2
Photo

Don't see there the deepest field ever. No Roczen, no Marv, no Paulin, no Osborne. Butron was 3rd in the championship and hardly gets a top 15 in mxgp.

Gajser had major injuries in the past, don't think the 'it's your year' story makes any justice to him in 2019 yet.

Herlings, Seewer, Antsie, Jonass, Ferrandis, Febvre, Coldenhoff, Vlaanderen and Ferris. That looks pretty stacked to me. All of those guys are capable of running inside the top 10 anywhere in the world. How much more stacked could you possibly want??

|

7/2/2019 5:48 AM

RDX wrote:

2016 MX2
Photo

2013 MX2
Photo

agn5009 wrote:

Herlings, Seewer, Antsie, Jonass, Ferrandis, Febvre, Coldenhoff, Vlaanderen and Ferris. That looks pretty stacked to me. All of those guys are capable of running inside the top 10 anywhere in the world. How much more stacked could you possibly want??

Yeah we know that NOW. But back then Coldenhoff and Febvre were no competition at all.

Wait a couple of years and you might have Geerts Olsen and Vialle winning races in MXGP. Then suddenly everyone will start talking about how tough of a competition Prado had to face for his title.
Jonass had a podium this year. And he just finished 2nd in the second moto last GP. Prado beat him by 100 points last year - on equal equipment

|

7/2/2019 7:26 AM

NVA57 wrote:

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Sideways wrote:

The issue I have with the top post is the notion that he was begging KTM to change rules when they were the ones paying him huge money to stay down so they could dominate both classes.

AlsoA.... Do you think the cairoli posse wanted him in the 450 class?

|

7/2/2019 7:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2019 12:03 PM

Prado is a threat, probably a mental jab at him. There is no way his career has turned out the way he wanted. Gajser looks like he is about to win his second premier title and he is 22? Now Prado is moving up. The sport waits for no one. He shot himself in the foot staying in the MX2 class for years. Stew got a huge head got more arrogant and never won a title again. The same thing could happen here.

|