Jeffrey Herlings interview

mccread
Jeffrey Herlings talks about why he was riding his 250 again, his first podium and more here:

Jeffrey Herlings interview
|
USA
Fantasy
428th
4/24/2017 3:51am
He is getting there. He had a few laps yesterday where he was back to the old jeffrey
He had me on the edge of my seat rooting for him yesterday. Two better starts, and he could have won.

I just hope that when he does start to win he doesn't get all cocky like before. But what the hell, everyone likes a little controversy Evil
Flip109
4/24/2017 4:48am
Interesting what he had to say about the development of the 350.
Bramlett321
4/24/2017 4:49am
Flip109 wrote:
What bike was he on yesterday guys?? I'm at work and can't open the interview.

The Shop

Flip109
4/24/2017 5:19am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2017 5:51am
Flip109 wrote:
What bike was he on yesterday guys?? I'm at work and can't open the interview.
He said he won't ride the 350, because basically since TC got off of it they quit developing it as much, so it's fallen behind.
ATKpilot99
4/24/2017 5:26am
I don't think he was really kidding when he said he wished he could stay on the 250 .
Flip109
4/24/2017 5:39am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I don't think he was really kidding when he said he wished he could stay on the 250 .
lol I was thinking the same thing..
jamma10
4/24/2017 6:37am
It would have been great to see battle between Herlings and Cairoli this weekend.

Herlings has thankfully made a step forward at last but he seemed to choose some strange lines and looked uncharacteristically ragged at times. It looked to me as though he was riding sweeping 250 lines to maintain momentum but didn't necessarily gain on the guys riding a shorter track - but then who the hell am I to judge... I guess it was just a sign of how hard he was trying and there were definitely a few flashes of brilliance in there.

In comparison, during the momentary footage we got to see of him, Cairoli looked sublime.
Superdave19
4/24/2017 6:57am
Flip109 wrote:
He said he won't ride the 350, because basically since TC got off of it they quit developing it as much, so it's fallen behind.
I know Carolli was riding the 450 last season....but I thought he was riding the 350 this season?
4/24/2017 7:14am
Is Herlings riding a 450? Looked awesome in this week's race, but always seemed to take the outside lines (like he was attempting to carry momentum) even though it was obvious he was losing time. (Strategy would make perfect sense if he was on a 350.) Adjustment to the 450's ... or is he riding a 350? Nevertheless, an awesome race... I am quickly becoming a fan of the series.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/24/2017 7:16am
Is Herlings riding a 450? Looked awesome in this week's race, but always seemed to take the outside lines (like he was attempting to carry momentum)...
Is Herlings riding a 450? Looked awesome in this week's race, but always seemed to take the outside lines (like he was attempting to carry momentum) even though it was obvious he was losing time. (Strategy would make perfect sense if he was on a 350.) Adjustment to the 450's ... or is he riding a 350? Nevertheless, an awesome race... I am quickly becoming a fan of the series.
Herlings is on the 450, he tested the 350 and has decided not to race it. He explains why in that interview posted above.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/24/2017 7:16am
I know Carolli was riding the 450 last season....but I thought he was riding the 350 this season?
Nope, Cairoli is on a 450 again this year.
Aryen
4/24/2017 7:18am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2017 7:37am
Flip109 wrote:
He's not.

What Herlings said about no clicks on the suspension I found interesting. No difference in suspension setup between hard pack in Trentino and sand in Valkenswaard?
4/24/2017 7:20am
To me it looked like he was the only one really trying to make passes, hence running out of room and taking unpopular lines.

Numerous guys complained the track was one lined and kinda dangerous, nothing like previous years.
1-forty-8
4/24/2017 8:28am
USA wrote:
He had me on the edge of my seat rooting for him yesterday. Two better starts, and he could have won. I just hope that when...
He had me on the edge of my seat rooting for him yesterday. Two better starts, and he could have won.

I just hope that when he does start to win he doesn't get all cocky like before. But what the hell, everyone likes a little controversy Evil
I was the same cheering him on, but kept thinking to myself once he does start winning I'm probably gonna get pretty tired of it pretty quick lol

I wish Gaiser wasn't so set on the USA so they could battle for the next few years. As quick as AC is right now ya know that won't last forever and I can't see anyone coming up right now that will give Jeff fits once he starts to win. It'll be like the mx2 class all over again.
ayearinmx
4/24/2017 8:39am
I don't think Gajser is as much set on America as he once was..... Monster Cup, yes.... full time, no
c0ncEpT
4/24/2017 8:52am
Aryen wrote:
He's not. What Herlings said about no clicks on the suspension I found interesting. No difference in suspension setup between hard pack in Trentino and sand...
He's not.

What Herlings said about no clicks on the suspension I found interesting. No difference in suspension setup between hard pack in Trentino and sand in Valkenswaard?
I'm sure what he meant is that the setting that the team gave him for Valkenswaard was on point and they didn't change anything all day. Not that he was using the exact same set up from last week.
rileymx
4/24/2017 8:59am
Aryen wrote:
He's not. What Herlings said about no clicks on the suspension I found interesting. No difference in suspension setup between hard pack in Trentino and sand...
He's not.

i think he is talking about changing the bike during races......for those 2 races they have to be using 2 different bikes, since setup for each are completely different and they don't have the production rule in mxgp.......
1-forty-8
4/24/2017 10:11am
ayearinmx wrote:
I don't think Gajser is as much set on America as he once was..... Monster Cup, yes.... full time, no
This is brilliant news for us! I like it. Nice one for the update man!
MXMattii
4/24/2017 10:22am
ayearinmx wrote:
1-forty-8 wrote:
This is brilliant news for us! I like it. Nice one for the update man!
I get the same idea too.
4/24/2017 11:04am
jamma10 wrote:
It would have been great to see battle between Herlings and Cairoli this weekend. Herlings has thankfully made a step forward at last but he seemed...
It would have been great to see battle between Herlings and Cairoli this weekend.

Herlings has thankfully made a step forward at last but he seemed to choose some strange lines and looked uncharacteristically ragged at times. It looked to me as though he was riding sweeping 250 lines to maintain momentum but didn't necessarily gain on the guys riding a shorter track - but then who the hell am I to judge... I guess it was just a sign of how hard he was trying and there were definitely a few flashes of brilliance in there.

In comparison, during the momentary footage we got to see of him, Cairoli looked sublime.
Agree with all of this... I know cairoli was at front and the footage was on the battles behind but the glimpses we got off him, he looked really good.. Not sure if hearlings could/would have beat him. Was frustrating at times watching herlings line choice... But obv its the best he's been this year, so hopefully better to come. Should be great racing rest of season. Good to see Pailin back to speed also, can only be good for gps.
RG1
4/24/2017 12:06pm
jamma10 wrote:
It would have been great to see battle between Herlings and Cairoli this weekend. Herlings has thankfully made a step forward at last but he seemed...

Agree with all of this... I know cairoli was at front and the footage was on the battles behind but the glimpses we got off him...
Agree with all of this... I know cairoli was at front and the footage was on the battles behind but the glimpses we got off him, he looked really good.. Not sure if hearlings could/would have beat him. Was frustrating at times watching herlings line choice... But obv its the best he's been this year, so hopefully better to come. Should be great racing rest of season. Good to see Pailin back to speed also, can only be good for gps.
I was there this weekend and I walked the track on Friday and my first impressions were how tame it looked in comparison with past years, and it played out that way all weekend. Herlings' line choice was just him trying to make passes instead if follow. It was really really difficult to pass or make up time because there wasn't any corners or sections if the track that had anymore than 2 lines. I think if we had seen a track like we had at Valkenswaard last year, Herlings would have won
Barrzy256
4/24/2017 12:59pm
Aryen wrote:
He's not.

rileymx wrote:
i think he is talking about changing the bike during races......for those 2 races they have to be using 2 different bikes, since setup for each...
i think he is talking about changing the bike during races......for those 2 races they have to be using 2 different bikes, since setup for each are completely different and they don't have the production rule in mxgp.......
No honestly I've seen interviews before where he has said he doesn't change suspension between tracks, and if he does it's only a few clicks. That way he can always predict how the bike feels etc. Strange isn't it?
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
4/24/2017 1:30pm
This is another Herlings track coming up, he should be on the podium or battling for the win. Espaiclly if AC is still afraid of the whoops, he dosent hit them as hard after his BS 2014 MxDN crash.
Aryen
4/24/2017 1:32pm
Barrzy256 wrote:
No honestly I've seen interviews before where he has said he doesn't change suspension between tracks, and if he does it's only a few clicks. That...
No honestly I've seen interviews before where he has said he doesn't change suspension between tracks, and if he does it's only a few clicks. That way he can always predict how the bike feels etc. Strange isn't it?
Pretty bizarre if you ask me!
Sideways
4/24/2017 1:35pm
RG1 wrote:
I was there this weekend and I walked the track on Friday and my first impressions were how tame it looked in comparison with past years...
I was there this weekend and I walked the track on Friday and my first impressions were how tame it looked in comparison with past years, and it played out that way all weekend. Herlings' line choice was just him trying to make passes instead if follow. It was really really difficult to pass or make up time because there wasn't any corners or sections if the track that had anymore than 2 lines. I think if we had seen a track like we had at Valkenswaard last year, Herlings would have won
I got a bit "frustrated" with herlings at times. Once he passed a rider (fast rider like febvre or jvh etc) he went on outsides and left the door wide open for them to pass him back. He's not in mx2 where he could pass a rider and they would never bite back. Once he sees the race himself i think he will learn from his mistakes.
PressPassP
4/24/2017 1:52pm
USA wrote:
He had me on the edge of my seat rooting for him yesterday. Two better starts, and he could have won. I just hope that when...

1-forty-8 wrote:
I was the same cheering him on, but kept thinking to myself once he does start winning I'm probably gonna get pretty tired of it pretty...
I was the same cheering him on, but kept thinking to myself once he does start winning I'm probably gonna get pretty tired of it pretty quick lol

I wish Gaiser wasn't so set on the USA so they could battle for the next few years. As quick as AC is right now ya know that won't last forever and I can't see anyone coming up right now that will give Jeff fits once he starts to win. It'll be like the mx2 class all over again.
Me too,as soon as it was apparent that Cairoli and Bobby were not getting away and Herlings was actually moving forward the race was pretty incredible,Bobby always seems to fade,(that needs fixing,he's lost a lot of points) edge of the seat stuff allright.If he gets a podium start anywhere now, pretty sure he'll podium.
DeStouwer
4/26/2017 12:08pm
USA wrote:

1-forty-8 wrote:
I was the same cheering him on, but kept thinking to myself once he does start winning I'm probably gonna get pretty tired of it pretty...

PressPassP wrote:
Me too,as soon as it was apparent that Cairoli and Bobby were not getting away and Herlings was actually moving forward the race was pretty incredible,Bobby...
Me too,as soon as it was apparent that Cairoli and Bobby were not getting away and Herlings was actually moving forward the race was pretty incredible,Bobby always seems to fade,(that needs fixing,he's lost a lot of points) edge of the seat stuff allright.If he gets a podium start anywhere now, pretty sure he'll podium.
He said he lost the GP due to his bad starts. I've checked the lap charts and in both motos he was 7th after one lap, which is not that far on a sand track. I think he lost due to his competitors, which is no shame. In the second moto he needed 10 minutes to make the pass stick on Febvre, what was unthinkable in previous years. He was very close to Paulin very early in the race but couldn't make a pass. Plus, he made some small mistakes in both motos that cost him time and took away his momentum.

Again, nothing to be ashamed of, as he still isn't 100%. But I think it's more due to a stacked field rather than his starts, who could've been worse.
Rowlands
4/26/2017 12:51pm
DeStouwer wrote:
He said he lost the GP due to his bad starts. I've checked the lap charts and in both motos he was 7th after one lap...
He said he lost the GP due to his bad starts. I've checked the lap charts and in both motos he was 7th after one lap, which is not that far on a sand track. I think he lost due to his competitors, which is no shame. In the second moto he needed 10 minutes to make the pass stick on Febvre, what was unthinkable in previous years. He was very close to Paulin very early in the race but couldn't make a pass. Plus, he made some small mistakes in both motos that cost him time and took away his momentum.

Again, nothing to be ashamed of, as he still isn't 100%. But I think it's more due to a stacked field rather than his starts, who could've been worse.
I see what you are saying but I think what Jeffrey is saying is that if he where to holeshot he would have won. Of course that's easy to say after the race but kind of true. And really concludes to the same outcome as your post so neither of you are wrong.

I also agree Herlings has a lot to learn in the big boys class and I must admit I did think he would be at the sharp end last weekend so it's been an eye opener for him and us fans. I'm just glad he's accepting being top 10 and not riding over his head like he used to in the MX2. Man looks like non of them MXGP guys want to let Herlings by Tongue
4/26/2017 1:41pm
Personally I think herlings is hididng the fact that his injury took a toll on him.

I think this was the first weekend he was feeling decent (no large jumps to jar his wrist, softer terrain etc etc)

I would say 90%

He will be winning by the end of the year.

Lommel definetly, but Gajser will gave him fits at the traditional tracks.

This is all my opinion.

Post a reply to: Jeffrey Herlings interview

The Latest