Jeffrey Herlings Update - Temporarily Paralyzed for 30 Minutes

88FYNN88
9/23/2020 9:34am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2020 4:33pm
WOW, this is scary to read. His full post if below:

It’s been pritty quiet around me lately and I am sorry for not giving a update to my fans since my crash. I can not describe how devastated it was being there on the ground temporarily paralyzed and not having any feeling from my neck down for minimum half an hour. Eventually I ended up braking my C1, C6 and T3. Doctors told me I got through the eye of the needle with not ending up paralyzed. From the good side, I got 3 stable fractures with only small cracks in the bones and the healing process wont be too long luckely and doctors say I will get a full recovery from this injury. I was feeling I was more then 100% in control this season, accepting a 2nd place and felt more in control of the championship then ever. I feel like that I messed up for the 2nd season in a row, even I have the feeling there was nothing I can blame myself for, for this crash. I am sorry to all my sponsors and partners and fans for once again not being able to deliver a championship to them. And most of all I would like to thank my entire KTM team and crew for there patience and there constant support towards me and there support through thick and thin. It’s been a very though last 2 seasons but I know I still got plenty to offer in this sport. For the moment the team and I have decided to sit out the next race in Mantova and look from there when exactly we will return to racing. I believe to become back healthy is the most important for now. Once again thanks to my team and partners for there great support. I will work hard to become back healthy again as soon as possible.
|
scootch
9/23/2020 9:43am
Gnar
zehn
9/23/2020 9:45am
Dude is an animal no doubt, hard to imagine what he might be able to accomplish with a couple healthy, complete seasons in a row. Hope we get to see it!

The Shop

MPJC
Fantasy
702nd
9/23/2020 9:45am
That had to have been terrifying. I’d think it could be tough mentally to come back. I’m sure he has access to great supports for his physical and mental recovery so hopefully he’ll be able 100% when he returns.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
9/23/2020 9:59am
I read that earlier. Yeah, I can't imagine being paralyzed for half an hour, that has to stick with you. What bad luck but I'm glad he wasn't injured worse. Only time will tell though if he can put it behind him and come back 100% mentally.
JeepnMike
9/23/2020 10:24am
If he can come back to racing with a clear mind and the same drive after this, he is not only nuts, but a machine.

That is a lot to mentally digest and somehow move on. I was paralyzed from the neck down due to an auto-immune disorder for about a month with at the time, no clear prognosis. Although I was able to recover (slowly) in time and some scary treatments, I can tell you that your mind gets f%^&cked when you can't move, a thing. It isn't something you just brush off, it haunts for a long time. Hopefully he is mentally that strong, IMO, he is the fastest man on the planet on a MX track and a treat to watch.
AxlBundy
9/23/2020 10:46am
Retire. Not going to get a 2nd chance
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
9/23/2020 10:51am
AxlBundy wrote:
Got to wonder if this happens..He has basically gotten a 2nd chance at life.
ajv#26
9/23/2020 11:05am
He will return as strong as ever, with the same determination and desire to win everything and everyone.
davistld01
9/23/2020 11:14am
These are the kinds of injuries that make even the best riders reconsider continuing to race at that level, I'm quite sure. I hope Herlings can...and will choose to come back after time to heal and recover, but I certainly wouldn't blame him if he called it quits. Our sport is brutal.
hamncheeze
9/23/2020 11:17am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 11:37am
I think Jeffrey will return. He's programmed to win. This injury is only viewed as a loss, you can even hear it in his words in his post.

However, if he did not return, absolute respect. This kind of 2nd chance, well....I don't know how many of them one could expect in a lifetime.
88FYNN88
9/23/2020 11:18am
AxlBundy wrote:
Brad460 wrote:
Got to wonder if this happens..He has basically gotten a 2nd chance at life.
I agree, this will be hard for him to come back from. Mentally he has a tough road ahead of him and no one will blame him if he does retire. I could never imagine that feeling of being paralyzed especially for 30+ minutes thinking you have no idea if you will walk again. He is very lucky to walk away from this because most are not that lucky (Brian Moreu & Jessy Nelson). If he does walk away I really hope he stays in the sport.
gt80rider
9/23/2020 11:23am
Jeffery reminds me a bit of JS7..... FMOTP or crash.... and just like Stew, he is huge for our sport... huge for the progression of the racing, as well as for all his fans worldwide.... SOOOO Glad to hear he is doing better.... but after an injury like this, he won't be the same if/when he makes it back to the track....
tp4
9/23/2020 11:27am
retire ..got a long good life..world champ
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
9/23/2020 11:31am
Whatever he chooses to do, I wish him the best. He's an amazing rider and a multi-time world champ; he has nothing to prove to anyone. If he comes back, I'll be an even bigger fan. If he retires, I won't hold it against him in any way.
PastranaWho
9/23/2020 11:51am
I dont see JH retiring any time soon but that will stick with him for a while. Scary stuff.
chuckie108
9/23/2020 12:03pm
I realized a life long goal of racing at LL's in 2015- felt like I was riding better than anytime in my life. A few months later, I took a digger and fractured C6 and C7. I laid on the track for I'm guessing 1 minute, trying to move- but nothing worked. I remember thinking "Oh no! did I just paralyze myself?". My mind immediately went to my wife and kids and how this would change their lives having to care for me. I felt devastated. Pretty crazy how 1 minute can feel like an eternity. Then my toes started to tingle, and shortly after, all the feeling was back. I could feel that burning sensation in the back of my neck so I knew there were fractures, so I didn't dare move. When they finally carted me back to my wife, I broke down sobbing as soon as I saw her from the emotion of knowing the bullet I just dodged. My kids were literally shaken up by seeing their dad break down and cry. It was the first time in my 40 years of riding I ever doubted the sport I love so much. It took me a year to get back to riding, and my modus operandi in regards to riding changed. Point being, I can't imagine how this could affect a guy like JH84. Dude has to lay it on the line to go his speed. That might be a bit tough to do going forward now that he has gotten a real taste of the possible consequences. See Dungey retiring 1 series after his neck injury. Then again, there's a reason he is ungodly fast on a dirt bike- Different breed than us mere mortals. Either way, it will interesting to see how he gets on in the future.
Hank_Thrill
9/23/2020 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 12:29pm
I am glad to hear he is okay.

I love watching him race in the States and the Des Nations. Other than that I don't know much about the guy besides the fact he can haul! Is he kind of comparable to James Stewart? Blazing fast but often ends up crashing or getting injured? That's the impression I get. Just curious what you all think.

That's a huge demon to put behind you. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Sc2
9/23/2020 12:46pm
No one would blame if he retired

Luckily for him he does not have kids,
That's a game changer, quite often when I'm pottering around (in comparison) my kids keep poping up
mx_phreek
Fantasy
242nd
9/23/2020 2:12pm
chuckie108 wrote:
I realized a life long goal of racing at LL's in 2015- felt like I was riding better than anytime in my life. A few months...
I realized a life long goal of racing at LL's in 2015- felt like I was riding better than anytime in my life. A few months later, I took a digger and fractured C6 and C7. I laid on the track for I'm guessing 1 minute, trying to move- but nothing worked. I remember thinking "Oh no! did I just paralyze myself?". My mind immediately went to my wife and kids and how this would change their lives having to care for me. I felt devastated. Pretty crazy how 1 minute can feel like an eternity. Then my toes started to tingle, and shortly after, all the feeling was back. I could feel that burning sensation in the back of my neck so I knew there were fractures, so I didn't dare move. When they finally carted me back to my wife, I broke down sobbing as soon as I saw her from the emotion of knowing the bullet I just dodged. My kids were literally shaken up by seeing their dad break down and cry. It was the first time in my 40 years of riding I ever doubted the sport I love so much. It took me a year to get back to riding, and my modus operandi in regards to riding changed. Point being, I can't imagine how this could affect a guy like JH84. Dude has to lay it on the line to go his speed. That might be a bit tough to do going forward now that he has gotten a real taste of the possible consequences. See Dungey retiring 1 series after his neck injury. Then again, there's a reason he is ungodly fast on a dirt bike- Different breed than us mere mortals. Either way, it will interesting to see how he gets on in the future.
I felt for you right there reading your experience and how you thought about your family in that moment, and then I try to think about how Jeffery must of felt to lay there with no feeling below his neck for 30 mins or more. Must of felt like a eternity and scared the shit out of him cause you have to be thinking its permanent at that point with no sensations coming back right away. So scary, lucky boy.
9/23/2020 2:30pm
ajv#26 wrote:
He will return as strong as ever, with the same determination and desire to win everything and everyone.
You sound like a childish fanboy with your certainty. The reality is no one can know, not even Herlings. It is just a likely that he is never the same.
yota
9/23/2020 2:45pm
Doug Henry came back from breaking his back...
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
9/23/2020 3:14pm
yota wrote:
Doug Henry came back from breaking his back...
So did Christophe Pourcel.
Brent
9/23/2020 3:28pm
Herlings will be back winning this year. Remember the MXGP season goes through November.

That guy rode a GP in Mexico a few years back with a broken leg just to get 10 points. He is fucking tough.
TXDirt
9/23/2020 4:18pm
I think he will be back again. But he will be a changed rider to some degree. To what extent remains to be seen.

I had a catastrophic crash at Lake Whitney back around 1993 or so. I was about 12 years old and crashed over the finish line jump. My bike bogged right on the take off and I endoed face first into the ground hard and the bike crushed me also.

I recovered and continued my career racing. But I was a changed rider when I can back. I was still able to turn pro years later and race some nationals after Lorettas. But all those years later it still was in the back of my mind subconsciously.

Funny thing is that wasn’t even my worst crash as I would have others over my career. But that was one that definitely stuck with me and changed me.
teamddr
9/23/2020 4:19pm
Jeez the guy can’t catch a break, he tones down the warp speed stuff for a more injury free season and gets it anyway. He’s confidence must be shot be this stage, it’s a mental battle now when he gets back.
Get well soon bullet
ajv#26
9/23/2020 4:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/23/2020 5:06pm
ajv#26 wrote:
You sound like a childish fanboy with your certainty. The reality is no one can know, not even Herlings. It is just a likely that he...
You sound like a childish fanboy with your certainty. The reality is no one can know, not even Herlings. It is just a likely that he is never the same.
Yes, I am Herlings fanboy, as I am also a fanboy of TC222, RC4, JS7, SE72, RD5, JA16, DF14, JP61, TG243 and all the others who risk their lives every weekend so that we can enjoy a sport that we love.
JH84's story tells us that whenever he gets injured he comes back and comes back stronger ...
It´s JH84 nature to be that way.
Now you can crawl under your rock and fuck you !!
9/23/2020 4:54pm
Did I read that right that he said He and the team decided to sit out the next race as if racing right now is an option?

Post a reply to: Jeffrey Herlings Update - Temporarily Paralyzed for 30 Minutes

The Latest