Jeffrey Herlings GOAT status?

7/11/2018 10:24am
pilotdude wrote:
Herlings is a next-level rider, on the same plane as the other greats of the sport in terms of speed and skill. It is quite conceivable...
Herlings is a next-level rider, on the same plane as the other greats of the sport in terms of speed and skill. It is quite conceivable that he could become the greatest rider from Europe ever. He is 23, but at this point has no MXGP titles. He would need to win every MXGP title for a long time to approach the status of Everts and Cairoli.

To me he is more of a James Stewart, or at least has been up to this point. He could evolve into a more patient ass-kicker, and probably will with age as most do.

It's too early to consider him for GOAT status, and I'm with DC on Carmichael. One thing I know for sure at the age of 51 is that is seems they all leave the sport before I'm ready to see them go, and then miss them once they are gone. Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, Dungey, etc.

You don't know what you got until it's gone.
I agree with you on Herlings needing to win lots of MXGP titles, and he's yet to finish winning one.

I'll tell you what, though, this guy has such an ego that I wouldn't be surprised to see him work a deal one year where he does one short season in AMA Motocross, just to make a point. (He likes to make points, even when they're not necessary. Why else would he have gone to Ironman last year? 'Cause he needed to "stay sharp"?)

And don't kid yourself: He'd blitz through the AMA field, then go back to Europe and pick up where he left off. This guy is on another level from everyone.
Adam43
7/11/2018 10:34am
TJMX947 wrote:
This must be alcohol talking. JS7 had RC covered in SX, especially on a 250 two stroke, 7 out of 10 on an SX track is...
This must be alcohol talking. JS7 had RC covered in SX, especially on a 250 two stroke, 7 out of 10 on an SX track is probably too conservative...Hell I might even say 9 out of 10.

Outdoors was a different story however, as RC spanked his ass and put him to bed with no dinner repeatedly, especially in the 2007 farewell tour. James had the speed to win but RC was consistently the better racer. I can't help but to think that 2008 and 2009 as being James' "prime" but between the two seasons he only raced one national series and one Supercross series. I don't think he was that much better in 2008 than he was in 2006/2007 to justify your notion that he wins 7/10. When it comes down to it he only won 3 races out of 23 attempts against RC in his career.
Where did this myth come from that Stewart was this all-time 250 two stroke god?

He only raced it in '05, hated the bike, won 2 races, and was about the same as Reed and RC who also rode them.

James was truly special on the Kawasaki 125 and 450.
Sideways
7/11/2018 10:56am
I think Roczens list of wins is one of the most impressive. Not saying THE most impressive, but he is worth mentioning considering the variety of championships. He has won all over the world.

85cc world champ
German ADAC champ x2
250mx world champion
250sx champion
450mx ama national champ x2
Des nation
Monster cup

He just needs a 450sx and an mxgp championship and i would consider him the GOAT Smile

The Shop

7/11/2018 11:00am
Sideways wrote:
I think Roczens list of wins is one of the most impressive. Not saying THE most impressive, but he is worth mentioning considering the variety of...
I think Roczens list of wins is one of the most impressive. Not saying THE most impressive, but he is worth mentioning considering the variety of championships. He has won all over the world.

85cc world champ
German ADAC champ x2
250mx world champion
250sx champion
450mx ama national champ x2
Des nation
Monster cup

He just needs a 450sx and an mxgp championship and i would consider him the GOAT Smile
Before the injuries, I always believed that Roczen hoped swing back to MXGP and sweep everything. Now that woulda been impressive. But I dunno now. He looks good, but not that good, and we don't know if he'll ever be like he was.

By the way, credit to Villopoto for trying, even if his attempt was half-assed. Show me someone else who wins AMA Motocross and Supercross and takes a shot at MXGP. Respect.
Sideways
7/11/2018 11:09am
Before the injuries, I always believed that Roczen hoped swing back to MXGP and sweep everything. Now [b]that[/b] woulda been impressive. But I dunno now. He...
Before the injuries, I always believed that Roczen hoped swing back to MXGP and sweep everything. Now that woulda been impressive. But I dunno now. He looks good, but not that good, and we don't know if he'll ever be like he was.

By the way, credit to Villopoto for trying, even if his attempt was half-assed. Show me someone else who wins AMA Motocross and Supercross and takes a shot at MXGP. Respect.
I think he will get there again. I dont think his passed injuries are hindering him as much as i think his bike are. Remember his first year on the suzuki? He wasnt setting the world on fire. The year after when they found the right setup and suspension, he crushed everyone outdoors. He has been talking alot about how they are working hard on the setup right now.

Post a reply to: Jeffrey Herlings GOAT status?

The Latest