Jeffrey Herlings GOAT status?

7/10/2018 3:51pm
Can someone click Richard already, your points are so biased. Yes Jeffrey will have 101 GP wins, how many in the little man class? To even...
Can someone click Richard already, your points are so biased.

Yes Jeffrey will have 101 GP wins, how many in the little man class?

To even compare Herlings to RC right now is stupid. RC came to the deep sand and smoked Everts on a 250 2 stroke.

That is the equivalent to Herlings coming to the US and not only beating Tomac but being WAY FASTER at the Monster Energy Cup.

It wouldn't happen.

RC was 2-3 seconds PER LAP faster than your "KING" in his backyard.

This is on top of his win percentage per start.

haha and youre points are not ?? oh come on dude dont act like a spoiled kid and start crying first start to read , never...
haha and youre points are not ?? oh come on dude dont act like a spoiled kid and start crying

first start to read , never did i say Herlings is even close to RC or ever will be ..
He wont and never will be , RC was a once in a lifetime dude ..totally agree

for all US fans RC is the GOAT ..no doubt , SX and MX titles , MXON wins all of them

but for most MXGP fans Everts is the GOAT as we only do MX and his 10 titles and more as 100 gp wins count
so for MXGP fans there are 2 GOATS .

dont compare the 2 , useless and no need to .

If Herlings would win the next 8 year and 85% of all moto's and 8 titles in a row , for most fans he would still not be considered a GOAT ... he hasnt got a SX title . Thats the way it goes , no problem

Herlings is 23 , its ridiciolous to start talking about a rider aged 23 about GOAT status . Lets see in 5 or 10 years how he did and what he won in those years .

It depends on the competition, SX doesn’t mean anything. If Herlings wins 8 straight he would be up there with RC in my opinion. Hopefully Herlings has someone step up and be the bubba Stewart to RC. RC really had to step it up when he came around. I don’t see anyone in the current field other than a healthy Gajser being able to stay with him. (Other than Tony sometimes)

The Shop

Juss72
7/10/2018 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2018 5:30pm
Can someone click Richard already, your points are so biased. Yes Jeffrey will have 101 GP wins, how many in the little man class? To even...
Can someone click Richard already, your points are so biased.

Yes Jeffrey will have 101 GP wins, how many in the little man class?

To even compare Herlings to RC right now is stupid. RC came to the deep sand and smoked Everts on a 250 2 stroke.

That is the equivalent to Herlings coming to the US and not only beating Tomac but being WAY FASTER at the Monster Energy Cup.

It wouldn't happen.

RC was 2-3 seconds PER LAP faster than your "KING" in his backyard.

This is on top of his win percentage per start.

haha and youre points are not ?? oh come on dude dont act like a spoiled kid and start crying first start to read , never...
haha and youre points are not ?? oh come on dude dont act like a spoiled kid and start crying

first start to read , never did i say Herlings is even close to RC or ever will be ..
He wont and never will be , RC was a once in a lifetime dude ..totally agree

for all US fans RC is the GOAT ..no doubt , SX and MX titles , MXON wins all of them

but for most MXGP fans Everts is the GOAT as we only do MX and his 10 titles and more as 100 gp wins count
so for MXGP fans there are 2 GOATS .

dont compare the 2 , useless and no need to .

If Herlings would win the next 8 year and 85% of all moto's and 8 titles in a row , for most fans he would still not be considered a GOAT ... he hasnt got a SX title . Thats the way it goes , no problem

Herlings is 23 , its ridiciolous to start talking about a rider aged 23 about GOAT status . Lets see in 5 or 10 years how he did and what he won in those years .

Hearlings is in his prime now. You say he is just 23, but that's not young in this sport. Not saying it's old, but come on 3-4 years he will be considered old. In 10 years, In 8-10 years I don't see him Winning like he is now. Personally I think he spent way to many years in the MX2 class. Hearlings could of already had 2-3
Juss72
7/10/2018 5:33pm
Cortami79 wrote:
The OP forgot he also had a Dutch, ADAC, European and World Championship in his last year 85cc:cheer: I don't really like to compare these unbelievable...
The OP forgot he also had a Dutch, ADAC, European and World Championship in his last year 85ccCheerful

I don't really like to compare these unbelievable riders with each other. Obviously I'm biased because I'm Dutch, but I have seen Herlings doing things that are really just not.. human lol. Like winning a GP at the age of 15. Winning the GP at Valkenswaard after that hard crash, chasing Roczen in 2 laps and dominate the GP. Or like the dominant performances at Loket, Lierop and MXDN Lommel 2012.. These are just things that come to my mind, and I'm not even talking about his 2013-2018 performances. You should rate his win ratio whenever he starts a GP (because he had a fair share of injuries Whistling ) and he will be close to the GOAT. However, comparing them is just silly. I loved watching Carmichael ride as much as I love to see Jeffrey ride. I know this is a forum, so everyone can do their thing, but man just enjoy these guys riding a dirtbikeLaughing
I say when he is 25 come race SX, I believe he could win. Would take time, but the dude is an incredible rider. Up there with RC & JS on talent.
tempura
7/10/2018 7:20pm
This whole debate is silly, immediately becomes a defensive debate of US Vs the world...
I will ask this question.. In one calendar year, there are two championships in the US. Supercross and an outdoor national championship. So 2 potential championships up for grabs for any given rider in those series.
In order to compare MXGP, surely their national series championships must also be included in the same way, to make two potential championships up for grabs??
I think some people forget the euro’s ride their own countries series as well as MXGP.
7/10/2018 8:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2018 8:32pm
Ricky Carmichael WAS the most dominant motocross racer of his time and that dominance lasted for the better part of a decade.

Herlings still has a lot of racing left to do, and dominance left to prove. He's barely in his second season of racing 450s.

It is sad and disappointing people are this narrow-minded and insist on making such asinine comparisons.

By the way, GOATs are rad animals.
jemcee
7/10/2018 8:29pm
Torco1 wrote:
[img]https://static.dazzling.news/img/articles/263/470x470/orig.584e81770cc79_gif_12.gif[/img]
This legit made me laugh out loud.. The knowing it was coming, the pause.. BOOM bigger hit than I was anticipating hahaha
fucken gold
Dougy1
7/10/2018 8:49pm
Eighty4 wrote:
[img]https://image.ibb.co/h6sKsT/image.png[/img] Jeffrey Herlings, 23 years and 10 months on thursday. As of right now... Nationally Open Dutch Championship MX2 2009; 3rd place Open Dutch Championship MX2...

Jeffrey Herlings, 23 years and 10 months on thursday.

As of right now...

Nationally
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2009; 3rd place
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2010; Runner-up
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2011; Champion
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2012; Champion
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2013; Champion
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2014; 4th place (Missed the first two rounds)
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2015, 18th place (Only entered one round)
Dutch Masters 2016 MX2; Champion
Dutch Masters 2017 MX1; Champion
Dutch Masters 2018 MX1; Leading

Internationally
2009 EMX2 Motocross European Championship, Runner-up
2010 MX2 World Championship; 6th place
2011 MX2 World Championship; Runner-up
2012 MX2 World Championship; Champion
2013 MX2 World Championship; Champion
2014 MX2 World Championship; Runner-up
2015 MX2 World Championship; 7th place
2016 MX2 World Championship; Champion
2017 MXGP World Championship; Runner-up
2018 MXGP World Championship; Leading

128 GP starts
77 GP wins
60 double moto GP wins
103 podiums (77-23-3)
150 moto wins
212 top three finishes
89 red plates
Sorry needs at least 1sx title. Untill then nope
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
7/10/2018 9:14pm
Jeff Matiasevich begs to differ who the best is...

Electro21
Fantasy
79th
7/10/2018 9:15pm
My posting video skills are definitely not the GOAT...
TDeath21
7/10/2018 9:26pm
In MX, many people remember the 99 ride from Tortelli at Glen Helen as being amazing. He was flying. He passed every rider like they were sitting still and went 1-1.

The next year, this rookie who had dominated on the 125 moves up. We had seen him struggle for two seasons on the 250 in SX (by his standards), but now we were going to MX where he had never lost a championship on that 125.

First moto, Tortelli blew past everyone again like they were sitting still and dusted the field. Well. Except for that rookie that was so far gone in 1st that he couldn't do anything.

Second moto, things were different. When they started 1-2 with Tortelli in 1st, we knew the battle was on. Tortelli pulled away from the field the same as he did the previous season. With a start this time though. Just one problem. That rookie in his first 250 MX race passed him on the first lap and was pulling away from him.

1-1 was the result that day in his first ever 250 race. The name? Ricky Carmichael. Something the record books would get used to on that top podium step.

Pretty soon, the likes of Tortelli, Windham, and Vuillemin all came to realize this rookie was going to win each and every race unless they were riding 100% and were on fire that day. Then they stood a chance. A slim chance, but it was a chance. Sometimes even riding their absolute best wasn't enough. They had to hope for some misfortune from Carmichael. Before the final race that year, it was sewn up. Racing the last race was never something he had to do in his entire MX career, but he did it anyway and went 1-1.

Yeah but that was MX. His bread and butter. There was this guy named Jeremy McGrath in SX who had won 7 of the previous 8 championships and nobody was even close. RC included. 2001 was more of the same. McGrath blew the doors off the competition and got 9 wins over the competition. Except the record books say 2. Oh. That's right. This guy named Ricky Carmichael somehow came in and made the King of Supercross look like a regular rider. Something he was simultaneously doing to the 3-20th place guys like he had been for the previous 8 seasons. His first SX championship was in the books.

And as they say, the rest is history. Never again did he lose a championship. Not once. Against some all time greats like Windham, Stewart, Reed, McGrath, and even some lesser riders who were still amazing like Vuillemin, Tortelli, and Ferry. From June 10, 2001 until his career ended on August 12, 2007, he lost a total of 5 overalls. 5. Let me repeat that again. 5 times in over 6 years he lost. In those losses, 4 of them were 2nd places. All the while winning motos by 20 seconds on the regular. And that was cruising for the final half of the moto usually.

Yeah but that was in the US. What about when he went to Europe? Those tracks are a lot different. 03 was an odd year. The four stroke was taking over but just hadn't quite completely done so yet. So some top pros were on the 450 and some still on the 250. Obvious advantage on the 450 there. Stefan Everts. You may have heard that name before. He was incredible. At the time he was unquestionably the GP GOAT. Everts in sand in Belgium? Forget about it. He gets a start and it's over. Especially if his main competition is on the 250. Someone forgot to tell Carmichael this, because while Everts destroyed all other riders on the day, Carmichael caught him from several seconds back, passed him, and checked out. Gone. See ya. 05? Completely different style. Tight track and nothing like the US tracks. How would he do here? Did you guess lead every single lap in every single race? If you did, you were right.

Simply put, nobody holds a candle to Carmichael. Not Everts, not Stewart, not Herlings, not Cairoli, not Reed, etc. etc. He is the GOAT and there isn't any arguments to say otherwise. Herlings has a long long long way to go before that is even remotely close to being mentioned. Everts is amazing. Cairoli is amazing. Herlings is amazing. The GPs are far superior than the AMA series is at the moment. The GPs have had an equal amount of great riders throughout my entire life following this sport. It isn't far fetched to say that GP guys in my lifetime have 4 of the top 5 slots when it comes to ranking the best I've seen. But whether you're an Aussie, a Euro, an American, an Asian, an African, or even a scientist living on Antarctica, there is no debate when it comes to number one. It's Carmichael. And it's not even close.
7/10/2018 9:27pm
MXGP........ you know that series that is a traveling circus that goes to a bunch of third world countries and has one fast guy (AC222) who is getting old and one really fast guy (JH84) who is afraid to come race supercross after watching the Gasjer shitshow at MEC. At this point KR94 has had a more distinguished career than the 84.
AK74
7/10/2018 9:51pm
If JH:

- wins multiple MXGP titles
- comes to the US and wins the 450 national title
- decides to give MotoGP a try
- wins a MotoGP title on a KTM

...then we can talk about GOAT status.
HusqFan3
7/10/2018 10:05pm
Nuffsaid wrote:
Ironman?
HusqFan3 wrote:
As i said above... ok, that’s one race— Nice job. Now let’s see him replicate that a few dozen times and I’ll conceed the point.
so who is your GOAT who also won a MXGP title ??? im curious now
RC4, the numbers speak for themselves. And when did i ever state winning an MXGP title was a prerequisite for GOAT status? It’s not anymore than winning a Canadian National Championship is...
7/10/2018 10:12pm
Eighty4 wrote:
[img]https://image.ibb.co/h6sKsT/image.png[/img] Jeffrey Herlings, 23 years and 10 months on thursday. As of right now... Nationally Open Dutch Championship MX2 2009; 3rd place Open Dutch Championship MX2...

Jeffrey Herlings, 23 years and 10 months on thursday.

As of right now...

Nationally
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2009; 3rd place
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2010; Runner-up
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2011; Champion
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2012; Champion
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2013; Champion
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2014; 4th place (Missed the first two rounds)
Open Dutch Championship MX2 2015, 18th place (Only entered one round)
Dutch Masters 2016 MX2; Champion
Dutch Masters 2017 MX1; Champion
Dutch Masters 2018 MX1; Leading

Internationally
2009 EMX2 Motocross European Championship, Runner-up
2010 MX2 World Championship; 6th place
2011 MX2 World Championship; Runner-up
2012 MX2 World Championship; Champion
2013 MX2 World Championship; Champion
2014 MX2 World Championship; Runner-up
2015 MX2 World Championship; 7th place
2016 MX2 World Championship; Champion
2017 MXGP World Championship; Runner-up
2018 MXGP World Championship; Leading

128 GP starts
77 GP wins
60 double moto GP wins
103 podiums (77-23-3)
150 moto wins
212 top three finishes
89 red plates
Bro...I too am getting a bit tired of this well-used reply, but you have it coming.

Much ty
7/10/2018 10:49pm
There’s only one ?, and his name is Jean Michel Bayle! At age 22 he had two WC titles, one AMA SX title and two AMA outdoors titles (all AMA titles the same year). And then he became a Moto GP racer, and he has won Le Mans 24. Just saying!
7/11/2018 12:02am
Juss72 wrote:
Hearlings is in his prime now. You say he is just 23, but that's not young in this sport. Not saying it's old, but come on...
Hearlings is in his prime now. You say he is just 23, but that's not young in this sport. Not saying it's old, but come on 3-4 years he will be considered old. In 10 years, In 8-10 years I don't see him Winning like he is now. Personally I think he spent way to many years in the MX2 class. Hearlings could of already had 2-3
Herlings moved up when he was 21 years, just like...... Ricky Carmichael.
7/11/2018 12:19am
keinz wrote:
And yes. JH is far from being the GOAT. Best guy from the last decade. Absolutely
Racer111 wrote:
On what planet?? He’s never even beat the current champ there for a “Big Boy” title. How many years did he sandbag in MX2 class to...
On what planet?? He’s never even beat the current champ there for a “Big Boy” title. How many years did he sandbag in MX2 class to avoid having to race Cairoli? FINALLY moved up and got beat by Cairoli who’s won how many MX1 titles?
Get real man. He moved when he was 21, just like Carmichael. If you want to see sandbaggers take a look at guys like Osborne (27 and still on a 250), Davalos (almost till his 30th on a 250) both Alex and Jeremy Martin and I can name a few more.
In his first year Herlings broke his hand 2 weeks before the seasonstart, so started injured. Still he was by far the fastest in the second half of the season and took the most GP wins that year.

Still I'm not gonna say he's the GOAT, cause that is ridicolous. But don't talk shit about (1 of) the fastest rider of the planet at this moment.
7/11/2018 5:03am
Hes gonna have to come overseas where the real players are to grab title of the goat. Also a perfect season here would also help.
7/11/2018 5:06am
TDeath21 wrote:
In MX, many people remember the 99 ride from Tortelli at Glen Helen as being amazing. He was flying. He passed every rider like they were...
In MX, many people remember the 99 ride from Tortelli at Glen Helen as being amazing. He was flying. He passed every rider like they were sitting still and went 1-1.

The next year, this rookie who had dominated on the 125 moves up. We had seen him struggle for two seasons on the 250 in SX (by his standards), but now we were going to MX where he had never lost a championship on that 125.

First moto, Tortelli blew past everyone again like they were sitting still and dusted the field. Well. Except for that rookie that was so far gone in 1st that he couldn't do anything.

Second moto, things were different. When they started 1-2 with Tortelli in 1st, we knew the battle was on. Tortelli pulled away from the field the same as he did the previous season. With a start this time though. Just one problem. That rookie in his first 250 MX race passed him on the first lap and was pulling away from him.

1-1 was the result that day in his first ever 250 race. The name? Ricky Carmichael. Something the record books would get used to on that top podium step.

Pretty soon, the likes of Tortelli, Windham, and Vuillemin all came to realize this rookie was going to win each and every race unless they were riding 100% and were on fire that day. Then they stood a chance. A slim chance, but it was a chance. Sometimes even riding their absolute best wasn't enough. They had to hope for some misfortune from Carmichael. Before the final race that year, it was sewn up. Racing the last race was never something he had to do in his entire MX career, but he did it anyway and went 1-1.

Yeah but that was MX. His bread and butter. There was this guy named Jeremy McGrath in SX who had won 7 of the previous 8 championships and nobody was even close. RC included. 2001 was more of the same. McGrath blew the doors off the competition and got 9 wins over the competition. Except the record books say 2. Oh. That's right. This guy named Ricky Carmichael somehow came in and made the King of Supercross look like a regular rider. Something he was simultaneously doing to the 3-20th place guys like he had been for the previous 8 seasons. His first SX championship was in the books.

And as they say, the rest is history. Never again did he lose a championship. Not once. Against some all time greats like Windham, Stewart, Reed, McGrath, and even some lesser riders who were still amazing like Vuillemin, Tortelli, and Ferry. From June 10, 2001 until his career ended on August 12, 2007, he lost a total of 5 overalls. 5. Let me repeat that again. 5 times in over 6 years he lost. In those losses, 4 of them were 2nd places. All the while winning motos by 20 seconds on the regular. And that was cruising for the final half of the moto usually.

Yeah but that was in the US. What about when he went to Europe? Those tracks are a lot different. 03 was an odd year. The four stroke was taking over but just hadn't quite completely done so yet. So some top pros were on the 450 and some still on the 250. Obvious advantage on the 450 there. Stefan Everts. You may have heard that name before. He was incredible. At the time he was unquestionably the GP GOAT. Everts in sand in Belgium? Forget about it. He gets a start and it's over. Especially if his main competition is on the 250. Someone forgot to tell Carmichael this, because while Everts destroyed all other riders on the day, Carmichael caught him from several seconds back, passed him, and checked out. Gone. See ya. 05? Completely different style. Tight track and nothing like the US tracks. How would he do here? Did you guess lead every single lap in every single race? If you did, you were right.

Simply put, nobody holds a candle to Carmichael. Not Everts, not Stewart, not Herlings, not Cairoli, not Reed, etc. etc. He is the GOAT and there isn't any arguments to say otherwise. Herlings has a long long long way to go before that is even remotely close to being mentioned. Everts is amazing. Cairoli is amazing. Herlings is amazing. The GPs are far superior than the AMA series is at the moment. The GPs have had an equal amount of great riders throughout my entire life following this sport. It isn't far fetched to say that GP guys in my lifetime have 4 of the top 5 slots when it comes to ranking the best I've seen. But whether you're an Aussie, a Euro, an American, an Asian, an African, or even a scientist living on Antarctica, there is no debate when it comes to number one. It's Carmichael. And it's not even close.
Um' sorry but Js7 definitely held a candle to Rc...both in their primes James wins 7/10 times
ajv#26
7/11/2018 5:42am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2018 5:48am
I'm a big fan off #84 but, in Europe is Everts, Cairoli, then Herlings in these moment. I always enjoy to see some kicked american ass at mxon but, RC#4 is above this guys and all the others, and I'm talking about mx only!
mxb2
7/11/2018 5:51am
TDeath21 wrote:
In MX, many people remember the 99 ride from Tortelli at Glen Helen as being amazing. He was flying. He passed every rider like they were...

Um' sorry but Js7 definitely held a candle to Rc...both in their primes James wins 7/10 times
Nobody beats rc in his prime. Rv,mc,rd are behind him.
BR8ES
7/11/2018 6:17am
Poppanator wrote:
There’s only one ?, and his name is Jean Michel Bayle! At age 22 he had two WC titles, one AMA SX title and two AMA...
There’s only one ?, and his name is Jean Michel Bayle! At age 22 he had two WC titles, one AMA SX title and two AMA outdoors titles (all AMA titles the same year). And then he became a Moto GP racer, and he has won Le Mans 24. Just saying!
Bayle was one of the greats no doubt, but quit way too early and won one title without winning a single race. Not even close to GOAT.
TJMX947
7/11/2018 6:46am
This must be alcohol talking. JS7 had RC covered in SX, especially on a 250 two stroke, 7 out of 10 on an SX track is probably too conservative...Hell I might even say 9 out of 10.

Outdoors was a different story however, as RC spanked his ass and put him to bed with no dinner repeatedly, especially in the 2007 farewell tour. James had the speed to win but RC was consistently the better racer. I can't help but to think that 2008 and 2009 as being James' "prime" but between the two seasons he only raced one national series and one Supercross series. I don't think he was that much better in 2008 than he was in 2006/2007 to justify your notion that he wins 7/10. When it comes down to it he only won 3 races out of 23 attempts against RC in his career.
7/11/2018 7:13am
tempura wrote:
This whole debate is silly, immediately becomes a defensive debate of US Vs the world... I will ask this question.. In one calendar year, there are...
This whole debate is silly, immediately becomes a defensive debate of US Vs the world...
I will ask this question.. In one calendar year, there are two championships in the US. Supercross and an outdoor national championship. So 2 potential championships up for grabs for any given rider in those series.
In order to compare MXGP, surely their national series championships must also be included in the same way, to make two potential championships up for grabs??
I think some people forget the euro’s ride their own countries series as well as MXGP.
That's very true, but the other countries National series' don't compare to the AMA Nationals or MXGP and we all know that.
pilotdude
7/11/2018 7:48am
Herlings is a next-level rider, on the same plane as the other greats of the sport in terms of speed and skill. It is quite conceivable that he could become the greatest rider from Europe ever. He is 23, but at this point has no MXGP titles. He would need to win every MXGP title for a long time to approach the status of Everts and Cairoli.

To me he is more of a James Stewart, or at least has been up to this point. He could evolve into a more patient ass-kicker, and probably will with age as most do.

It's too early to consider him for GOAT status, and I'm with DC on Carmichael. One thing I know for sure at the age of 51 is that is seems they all leave the sport before I'm ready to see them go, and then miss them once they are gone. Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto, Dungey, etc.

You don't know what you got until it's gone.

Post a reply to: Jeffrey Herlings GOAT status?

The Latest