Jason Anderson underdog?

USA
Fantasy
545th
12/23/2018 8:51am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2018 3:06pm
Watching the SX preview show yesterday, Jason Anderson really made it sound like he believes the fans and industry see him as the underdog coming in. I do not frequent other MX websites (Except Brett Smith's wewentfast.com, great writer), so my sample size is limited. On here, it looks like Anderson is being talked about like the champion he is (Dungey-like, might go on a run, etc.), so where is Anderson getting this from exactly?

I hope he uses it to fuel his fire come 2019 SX. He clearly won with no question last year. I attended Houston and Atlanta last year, and seeing him in person left no question in my mind, and I starting last year thinking it was Roczen's to lose.

https://youtu.be/sQTL6BPj8E4

|
colvin227
12/23/2018 9:06am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 9:06am
Did you mean Tomacs to lose? How could you have thought it was Roczen’s when he was coming back from such a huge injury and was the biggest question mark in the recent years. Did you miss all the other races the last two years, cause it was pretty clear to see who was the “favorite” or whos it was to lose. To be fair I am jaded cause I’m a big ET fan but still seems like common sense when looking st the numbers and watching the races
colvin227
12/23/2018 9:07am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 9:14am
I was at Oakland so I know what Your saying JA was really good but I wouldn’t say clear cut title favorite even at that point. But he managed the races well and got the trophy at end of the year which is all that seems to matter to anyone. Go back and Watch the races from the secound half of last year and in JA interviews all he wanted was to beat Eli on Saturday night to show he’s better and it wasnt happening. But he won the championship by being consistent and that’s what it takes. He deserves and earner that championship no question. You can’t luck into a championship, but race for race he wasn’t the best guy......now what does that matter in the end if you got the #1 plate...nothing I guess just crap for us idiots to talk about.
kb228
12/23/2018 9:07am
This is going to get down voted really hard...

But, although anderson won the championship fair and square, he got dominated by eli and marv. The only reason he won was because of the injuries. Most people can agree that with a healthy eli, marv and anderson in a series, eli and marv are going to be ahead of anderson most of the time.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
12/23/2018 9:16am
kb228 wrote:
This is going to get down voted really hard... But, although anderson won the championship fair and square, he got dominated by eli and marv. The...

But, although anderson won the championship fair and square, he got dominated by eli and marv. The only reason he won was because of the injuries. Most people can agree that with a healthy eli, marv and anderson in a series, eli and marv are going to be ahead of anderson most of the time.
I dunno man, the dudes a beast indoors. I wouldn’t mind seing him win it again. I like his style all around.

The Shop

12/23/2018 9:32am
If everybody can stay healthy it’s going to be hard to figure out who is going to be “that guy” until we’re about 4 or 5 races in. There’s a handful of guys who could win the title if they are healthy. That’s just my 2 cents.
Kyle_McNab
12/23/2018 9:38am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 11:22am
You’re stupid if think he won by default. He’s been steady trending up ever since 14. He could’ve definitely won more but there was no need to. He was on the podium majority of the races and always top 5. Isn’t consistently and attrition part of winning a championship?
jeffro503
12/23/2018 10:23am
There can be a few favorite's.......and he's definitely one of them. Underdog by no means.
USA
Fantasy
545th
12/23/2018 10:35am
colvin227 wrote:
Did you mean Tomacs to lose? How could you have thought it was Roczen’s when he was coming back from such a huge injury and was...
Did you mean Tomacs to lose? How could you have thought it was Roczen’s when he was coming back from such a huge injury and was the biggest question mark in the recent years. Did you miss all the other races the last two years, cause it was pretty clear to see who was the “favorite” or whos it was to lose. To be fair I am jaded cause I’m a big ET fan but still seems like common sense when looking st the numbers and watching the races
Let me clarify a little, I thought after Tomac crashed out of A1 and Houston that Roczen would get the title. Honestly Anderson surprised me a little last year, but after seeing him in person I knew that he came in prepared and primed to take the championship. Regardless of what happened to other riders, he did what he needed even with his own misfortune.

I'd love to see Tomac win it all, but I stand by what I say about Anderson. He's consistent and can wick-it-up to beat anyone, e.g., MXdN 2016, Oakland 2018, and I expect more this year.
Johnny Ringo
12/23/2018 10:42am
When you factor everything in, not just flat out speed, he’s definitely a favorite.

He’s using the old RC mind game technique. Every year RC would consider himself an underdog and he’d push harder in the offseason. Worked for him.
Mit12
12/23/2018 10:46am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 10:49am
Although I believe both Tomac and Roczen have more speed than Anderson I believe that Anderson has the mental advantage in the championship. Now that Anderson has won a SX championship he will be even stronger. I want Tomac to win the title but I am betting Anderson repeats. Tomac and Roczen have not been able to put together a clean SX season so far.
joeellis
12/23/2018 11:00am
I believe some experts may consider him an underdog to Tomac, Roczen and Musquin, but if he's not on their level, he's very close. Tomac and Roczen have shown better speed than anyone racing in America at times, but it appears with that speed comes serious injury. Both guys have had very serious injuries as did Villapoto. Were these guys faster than Dungey? Who really knows. Maybe Dungey did it the right way, even though he was criticized at times for it. For the most part, he left the sport in tact and with multiple championships.
DPR250R
12/23/2018 12:21pm
Underdog to me means that it would a surprise if that rider won the championship. In my mind we have four guys that If any of them took it home... it wouldn’t be surprising.

They all might have differents paths to get there, balls out, fast n steady, in the right place at the right time..etc... but if Anderson followed up with another title... it wouldn’t surprise me.
wreckitrandy
12/23/2018 12:29pm
joeellis wrote:
I believe some experts may consider him an underdog to Tomac, Roczen and Musquin, but if he's not on their level, he's very close. Tomac and...
I believe some experts may consider him an underdog to Tomac, Roczen and Musquin, but if he's not on their level, he's very close. Tomac and Roczen have shown better speed than anyone racing in America at times, but it appears with that speed comes serious injury. Both guys have had very serious injuries as did Villapoto. Were these guys faster than Dungey? Who really knows. Maybe Dungey did it the right way, even though he was criticized at times for it. For the most part, he left the sport in tact and with multiple championships.
There are two types of speed. Sustainable, and unsustainable. The guys with 6+ titles have a higher threshold of sustainable speed. In general, they're smart enough to stay away from not only their own limit but, other riders that ride above their limit. When we used to get aggravated watching Dungey ride behind guys for so long, it was because he clearly had the speed and was just afraid to risk getting tangled up in someone else's wreck. He was extremely careful in traffic. It may not have been exciting to watch but the wisdom of his approach is clearly displayed in the record books.
Natester551v
12/23/2018 12:48pm
Dungey always raced faster guys, but has lots of titles, so there's that...

Anderson raced safe and smart, and has $$ in the bank as a result....
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
12/23/2018 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 1:02pm
Pretty sure Racer X considers him a legit title threat in the preview show, he’s my prediction for the title win this season.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
12/23/2018 1:11pm
I think Jason is just realistic and honest enough to understand the context of the 2018 Supercross championship. He certainly earned it but this year will solidify how he’ll be written about in the future.
kb228
12/23/2018 1:14pm
kb228 wrote:
This is going to get down voted really hard... But, although anderson won the championship fair and square, he got dominated by eli and marv. The...

Dirtydeeds wrote:
I dunno man, the dudes a beast indoors. I wouldn’t mind seing him win it again. I like his style all around.
He won by being a dungey. Definitely earned it. And we all saw how dungeys 3 titles went.
BikeGuy321
12/23/2018 1:25pm
If any of the top guys is an underdog, for sure it's Roczen. His riding looked a lot less aggressive at the end of the Nationals than pre-injury. I'll be surprised if he can match the absolute pace of the other top contenders indoors. I think Roczen is gonna have his hands full with Osbourne, Savatgy, and Plessinger this year.

MM, JA, and Tomac still have an edge for the title and Osbourne and Plessinger will be in the mix at a few races.
Turbojez
12/23/2018 1:50pm
Dungey always raced faster guys, but has lots of titles, so there's that... Anderson raced safe and smart, and has $$ in the bank as a...
Dungey always raced faster guys, but has lots of titles, so there's that...

Anderson raced safe and smart, and has $$ in the bank as a result....
I respectfully disagree about Dungey part.
You, me, every guy you know CAN ride over his head for a certain amount of time, we go faster than ever all high on adrenaline and crash shortly after.
Dungey was the guy to draw the line and stay as close to it as possible, without crossing it, and it worked pretty well.
I like to believe he always could have gone a bit faster, but always chose not to.
I don't get how people can see it as a bad thing. It was extraordinary to have this much self control in a sport pumping so much adrenaline through your veins.

To answer the topic, Jason is everything but an underdog.
Definitely one of the championship contenders.
BR8ES
12/23/2018 2:00pm
Certainly not Tomac's to lose, that is preposterous... but I can see the underdog thing for sure with Anderson.
hamncheeze
12/23/2018 2:08pm
There are two types of speed. Sustainable, and unsustainable. The guys with 6+ titles have a higher threshold of sustainable speed. In general, they're smart enough...
There are two types of speed. Sustainable, and unsustainable. The guys with 6+ titles have a higher threshold of sustainable speed. In general, they're smart enough to stay away from not only their own limit but, other riders that ride above their limit. When we used to get aggravated watching Dungey ride behind guys for so long, it was because he clearly had the speed and was just afraid to risk getting tangled up in someone else's wreck. He was extremely careful in traffic. It may not have been exciting to watch but the wisdom of his approach is clearly displayed in the record books.
I agree with this and also this is what made RV such an amazing SX rider from 2011-2014. He was faster than everyone, and he was also pretty consistent for how fast he was riding. I mean, he had Dungey covered in speed overall every one of those seasons and only had the DNQ at Jacksonville in 2011 and the awful A1 in 2013 as his throwaways. Tomac threw away 3 in 2018 alone.

To me, JA21 is the favourite going into 2019. Defending the title, healthy, and confident. Every other guy has something in their mind wondering if they can overcome it: Tomac consistency, Marvin whoops, Roczen physical limitations.
12/23/2018 2:17pm
If I had to bet I'd put my money on Anderson winning again. Tomac has shown he can't keep it together for 17 rounds, Roczen has only ever finished a full SX season twice and IMO Musquin always seems to not perform as well when the championship is in reach.
12/23/2018 2:41pm
As long as we don’t have this again..

TogaSet
Fantasy
3824th
12/23/2018 3:01pm
Tomac is going into his 6th year racing 450 supercross. It might be his time to close the deal. My money is on Andersen though. He’s very fast indoors and doesn’t crash much. He can turn it up when needed and now he’s got the champion confidence.
Forty
12/23/2018 3:34pm
Anderson is the champ. If there are racers ranked above him it’s wishful thinking at this point. He may be better than he was last year. We can’t know until the gate drops. I hope he cleans everyone’s clock.
BR8ES
12/23/2018 3:55pm
Armchair experts and analysts, love it. Guess Roczen ought to roll over.
BobPA
12/23/2018 4:01pm
731chopper wrote:
I think Jason is just realistic and honest enough to understand the context of the 2018 Supercross championship. He certainly earned it but this year will...
I think Jason is just realistic and honest enough to understand the context of the 2018 Supercross championship. He certainly earned it but this year will solidify how he’ll be written about in the future.
What context man? Everyone was on the gate at A1.....And he had the number 1 plate come Vegas. As far as I know he will always be written about as the 2018 champion.

For the record, I think ET has the speed to make this season as boring as the RV/RC domination years. I'd love to see JA go back to back...but SX is tricky and anything can happen. I remember RD mentioning that backing up a title with another title was one of the hardest things in his career.
BikeGuy321
12/23/2018 4:16pm
BR8ES wrote:
Armchair experts and analysts, love it. Guess Roczen ought to roll over.
I give the guy huge props for still racing. Most people would have thrown in the towel and called it a career if they had to endure what he went through. Just calling it like I see it though, it seems like he's lost some of that raw aggression and speed that he had before. Maybe he doesn't trust the Honda at the limit anymore, IDK, guess we'll see.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
12/23/2018 4:21pm
BobPA wrote:
What context man? Everyone was on the gate at A1.....And he had the number 1 plate come Vegas. As far as I know he will always...
What context man? Everyone was on the gate at A1.....And he had the number 1 plate come Vegas. As far as I know he will always be written about as the 2018 champion.

For the record, I think ET has the speed to make this season as boring as the RV/RC domination years. I'd love to see JA go back to back...but SX is tricky and anything can happen. I remember RD mentioning that backing up a title with another title was one of the hardest things in his career.
The context of Eli injuring himself at the first round, missing the second round and Marv injuring himself at and missing the second round as well. That doesn’t take away from Jason being the champion.
TeamGreen
12/23/2018 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 5:48pm
I'm sooooo not even thinking about last-season's statistics nor any "if" aspect there-in.

Jason is healthy and his head is right. He's stoked about the bike and how the "off-season" races went.

I'm kinda greedy: I want 8 or 9 nights that are virtually repeats of his pre-season/out of country SXs.

When you realize he decided to race Monster Cup LITERALLY just a few days before...and he'd only ridden his outdoor set-up during the weeks leading up to that...then he went to Oz and Paris...with a quickly developed set-up...I'm confident in his ability to be "on it" from the 1st qualifying session in 2 weeks.

The guy none of you seem to be talking about and that I think will also be "on it" from the 1st gate drop is The VERY Wacko-ZachO. I really don't think most people understand how committed he is to WINNING. As in WINNING EVERYTHING.

Then there's DeanO...anyone think he's gonna have better average finishes this year? (Versus last year) I do. Think his bike isn't as good as Rockstar Husqvarna's? What if it's just as good..?

A lot of good things gonna happen on white 450s this year.

Post a reply to: Jason Anderson underdog?

The Latest